1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy "I Feel the Earth Move" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Jul 24, 2016.

?

Rate & Discuss this Guardians of the Galaxy episode!

1. *****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Check out a new episode of Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy, today at 8:00AM ET on Disney XD!

[​IMG]
    Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy "I Feel the Earth Move"
    Episode Debut - July 24th, 2016
    Directed by: Jeff Wamester
    Written by: Marty Isenberg

The Guardians battle a Cosmic Seed supercharged Thanos, who takes control of the Earth and molds it into his personal planetary weapon of mass destruction.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

#1 RoyalRubble, Jul 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
  2. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Dwarf-in-a-flask

That was a pretty satisfying finale. All the story and character beats just clicked (Ronan's brief life debt to Drax, Rocket's hasty incomplete plan, etc.).

A small part of me is curious about the absence of the earthbound heroes and institutions, but that's par for the course at this point. I've come to view the Marvel Animated Universe like the Hasbro/Sunbow shows from the 80s. There's a shared art style and writers, but they're not closely connected for the most part.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

As far as a season finale goes, not bad, but also not nearly as epic as it could have been.

One of the biggest disappointments was Thanos wielding that gemstone; visually, it could have been amazing...but all he does is summon giant beanstalk type things. Surely he could have been a bit more creative? And no way a train is KOing him when falling all the way to Earth from space didn't.

The Nebula/Ronan sub-plot was also extremely rushed and shoe-horned in, unfortunately. The mini-Groots were cute, but unnecessary.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

Very disappointing season finale. I'd hate it for that to be Nebula's "death by redemption" (assuming she's still knocked out after the ship blew up).

^^^^^

• Like Like x 2
  5. ClodClavo

ClodClavo Member

Unless I missed something, there should be 2 more episodes.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought this was a pretty solid, enjoyable, finale to close out season one of Guardians. Maybe not as epic or as impressive a finale as I was hoping for, but still fairly good in its own right :).

There were some nice, heartwarming, character moments that really helped emphasize how close the team has become over the course of this season and how they've developed, as well as some decent action and plenty of fun, crazy, moments as I've come to expect from the series :D.

Drax saving Ronan and that leading to Ronan and Nebula joining the Guardians out of his Kree honor was a nice twist, short-lived as the alliance was. I kind wish it had lasted longer so we could see it play out more as Ronan was now ostensibly on the side of his greatest enemies against a larger threat, but it makes sense that Ronan's zealousness would keep the two groups at odds. It was certainly an interesting direction to take Drax and Ronan's relationship :ack:.

I wonder if that really took out Ronan...it was certainly a pretty unceremonious way to go out, especially for Nebula since it would mean she died off-screen. It also denied Drax his revenge (again), though he'd pretty much gotten over that by now ;).

It was nice seeing Gamora appeal to her sister to try and get her to stand up for herself, especially with Nebula so downtrodden over losing her cybernetic enhancements and, thus, her usefulness to Ronan. Who then promptly rewards her season-long loyalty by belittling and hurting her. I really hope that led Nebula to take the opportunity to cut-and-run before Ronan carried out his plan and got blown to bits for it, because I think there's a lot of potential with her character, especially after seeing her lose her enhancements and questioning Ronan after prodding from Gamora. That, and she's going to be in Vol. 2, so I imagine they'll keep her alive for a while :sweat:.

I feel like, compared to the fight between The Avengers and Thanos in Assemble, as well as the Guardians' confrontation with Thanos in the Asgard War two-parter, the final fight here was a tad underwhelming. I mean, it was apparent as ever that Thanos was too powerful for them to take on directly, but I was kind of hoping for a more action-packed, knockdown, drag-out, showdown between our heroes and the Mad Titan. Heck, the Cosmic Seed giving Thanos, basically, control over plants is a fair bit underwhelming compared to his normal powerset or when he had the Infinity Stones :rolleyes2:.

I'm also disappointed that they couldn't get Cosmo on the line to bring in reinforcements. On the one hand, I get that this is the Guardians' fight to finish after the season long-arc of them trying to get to the Cosmic Seed before Thanos and it certainly left them the ragtag group of underdogs they're meant to be, but it would've been awesome to see Cosmo bring in all the Guardians allies (Victoria, Asgard, Rora, the Inhumans, and Cosmo himself) to help them in an epic struggle against Thanos :cool:.

I also have to knock the conclusion for basically mimicking the way the Guardians beat Ronan in the movie. I mean, I guess I get what they were going for with the Guardians together empowering Star-Lord to finally get the seed back, but I thought we were past these kinds of moments of basically doing the exact same thing the movies did :sad:.

I did think the 12% of a plan scene was cute though :anime:.

What the heck happened to Thanos at the end? Did Mother Earth just consume him in retaliation for his abuse with the Cosmic Seed? Did the Guardians really just left him there without trying to bring him into the Nova Corps. or something? Did they honestly think that subway train stopped him :confused:?

Believe me Peter, you're probably better off not knowing what a selfie is :p.

I hope the Avengers team-up next season has Star-Lord reference the time they fought Thanos and none of The Avengers ever bothered to show up to pitch in :rolleyes:.

Yeah, I could've sworn Guardians had a traditional 26-episode order, though I wonder if the shorts effected that o_O?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Dwarf-in-a-flask

I'll admit, I'm a sucker for this kind of thing.

They and all the other Earth heroes were in the Negative Zone...?

• Like Like x 1
  8. ClodClavo

ClodClavo Member

Or the time the Avengers fought Thanos and the Guardians were MIA.

I thought this show takes place before the Avengers were formed. Based on Thor and Loki being on good terms, I was under the impression Thor has not been to earth yet.
    Yet, at SDCC there was a teaser image for the Avengers crossover with the Avengers in there current AUR costumes. So ionno what to think TBH.

• Like Like x 1
  9. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

It definitely takes place before the Avengers are formed. Season 2 may involve time travel though (keeping in mind production is a year or more in advance).

Season 2 begins, the Guardians are fighting Korvac, they accidentally trigger a time travel jump to several years later to the current events of Avengers Assemble Season 3 (before the Avengers "disappear" in S4 I imagine).

• Informative Informative x 2
  10. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

That really sounds like an unnecessarily complicated way of doing a team-up between the two teams o_O.

And I'm not sure how confident I am in them handling Korvac, unless they're going with the version from USM in which case I still don't have much to look forward to :sweat:.

• Agree Agree x 2