1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy "Hitchin' a Ride" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Nov 14, 2015.

?

Rate & Discuss this Guardians of the Galaxy Episode!

1. *****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

100.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Check out Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy tonight at 9:30PM (ET) on Disney XD!
    A visit from Venom.

[​IMG]
    Guardians of the Galaxy "Hitchin' a Ride"
    Episode Debut - November 14th, 2015
    Directed by: Jeff Wamester
    Written by: David McDermott

When Groot is infected by a super-evolved Venom Symbiote, Rocket must go to extreme measures to save the team - and his leafy friend.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

#1 RoyalRubble, Nov 14, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
  2. trance2009

trance2009 Fun to play with not to eat

Did Quill make a Star Wars reference?

Ha-ha Groove Thang playing during the fight was awesome.

Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

Missed it!

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. PapaGreg

PapaGreg Peppermint tea for me

Sucks it was pretty good episode

Sent from my LG-D415 using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Capt.Traphouse

Capt.Traphouse Sexiest Thing Since Sex

Great episode. Loved it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #5 Capt.Traphouse, Nov 14, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
  6. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought this was a good episode, but not as exciting as the last two were. Still, a fun little adventure with a suitably creepy atmosphere at times and a decent antagonist. I appreciate the fact they didn't try to explain Venom's appearance here and try to fit this show into the same continuity as Ultimate Spider-Man, something which I don't think is that necessary. It was neat that they didn't really explain what the symbiotes are, but they added just enough information about them (their powers and weaknesses, Gamora mentioning she fought some before). Their designs looked pretty cool, too.

The character interactions continue to be fun. The banter was enjoyable and didn't really get annoying. The action scenes were well staged. The musical moment was great. Yondu's inclusion didn't feel that forced and did lead to some more decent, but predictable moments. Rocket's master plan with that ranch was pretty clever. The bit with Groot turning to dust was pretty well handled, and made for a neat dramatic moment. Drax cooking was kind of ridiculous but didn't really bother me, I like how he's being handled on this show so far. Also liked that brief gag towards the beginning about how Rocket had no idea Drax would survive the fire attack.

All in all, a good episode and I'm glad it didn't play out exactly like the previous "Can't Fight This Seedling". Based on the episode descriptions, it sounded to me like this would be a rehash of that story, but I appreciate they went into a different direction as the story played out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Dwarf-in-a-flask

Another solid episode, I'm getting kinda invested in what's going on with the Cosmic Seed.

I don't know why, but I wasn't expecting Drax to be team chef.

To be fair, the two summaries did sound pretty similar.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Interestingly, both this episode and "Can't Fight This Seedling" were also written by the same person - David McDermott.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought this was another solid episode of Guardians, with some good action, character dynamics, and humor all around. Man, it feels like it's been a really long time since we had several solid episodes of a Marvel cartoon. I'm very happy that Guardians continues to be consistently enjoyable :D.

Wow, for once Quill was relatively on-point for a whole episode, and fairly competent to boot. Sure, he was still acting fairly immature and a little bumbling, but he was still fairly quick on his feet and came up with some good plans to stop the Symbiotes and outwit Yondu. He was even genuinely worried about Groot, and came up with the way to save him. Much better showing for Star-Lord here :).

Hmm...I'm of two minds about the Symbiotes in this episode. On the one hand, I think the episode used them very effectively as this insidious and near-unstoppable race of adapting aliens that are like a deadly infection and take over your mind and body. One the other hand, not sure how I feel about their now being two different kinds of Symbiotes (the space-aliens, and the man-made version). I mean, it's probably not going to matter in the long-run nor will there likely be an overlap between the two, but it still kinda bothers me and is a little confusing (though it probably is a good thing then that it's likely never to be addressed). Then again, the continuity for these cartoons, for whatever amount of it there is, is so malleable and prone to being altered that I shouldn't get too worked up about it :sweat:.

I wonder if the effect of the Cosmic Seed is why the Symbiotes were able to take on humanoid forms without a host? They're humanoid forms actually reminded me a lot of Mac Gargan's Venom, rather then the traditional Venom design :cool:.

It was nice seeing Yondu back, and the Ravagers as a whole (did it look like some of the crew from the Star-Lord short were back in the group?), and they added a nice little wrinkle in the overall plot. Yondu continues to act like he's a genuine father figure to Quill and knows him better then Peter knows himself, with all that coming undone the moment profit or self-interest comes into play. And now that he's lost his ship, it looks like Yondu will be personally after Peter and the Guardians now :eek:.

Poor Groot, getting infected again...though it was cool to eventually see him start talking in the "We" form like Venom does. And it was nice seeing Rocket feel bad at having potentially killed him, and then being so focused on saving him. A good pair, those two, though Rocket and Peter form a nice duo themselves ;).

It's interesting that the cube, rather then pinpointing exactly where the Cosmic Seed is, has just been pinpointing locations where it's been and that it's effected the inhabitants of the planet. For a seed, the Cosmic Seed seems to be very mobile, which then begs the question of how exactly it's being moved and why o_O?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

So, wow, this episode was really good. The symbiotes were actually pretty creepy here, much moreso than their appearances in USM and Agents of SMASH. Especially the echo voices.

Yondu wasn't handled as well as in his last appearance, though; my only real complaint.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Capt.Traphouse

Capt.Traphouse Sexiest Thing Since Sex

We need more scumbaggy characters like Yondu and Titus, they make the GoG universe come alive.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Dsneybuf

Dsneybuf Well-Known Member

The other member of my viewing party for this show delivered nothing but praise for the tension and characterization of this episode, and I think it deserved it. However, since the season hasn't ended yet, I'll hold off calling it the best installment.

• Agree Agree x 1