1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy "Free Bird" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Mar 25, 2017.

?

Rate & Discuss this Guardians of the Galaxy episode!

1. *****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Check out a new episode of Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy, tonight at 9:00PM ET on Disney XD!

[​IMG]
    Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy "Free Bird"
    Episode Debut - March 25th, 2017
    Written by - Rich Fogel
    Directed by - James Yang

While the Guardians search for the missing sarcophagus, Groot finds a mysterious egg and does everything in his power to protect it.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

• Like Like x 1
    #1 RoyalRubble, Mar 25, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  2. Capt.Traphouse

Capt.Traphouse Sexiest Thing Since Sex

Great episode. It was fun, funny and interesting. I'm glad they actually went exploring, those seem to be the best episodes imo. Also loving the focus on continuity that seems much more consistent this time around rather than season 1 where Korath literally stopped appearing despite actively searching for the Cosmic Seed for Thanos.

Peter hating his younger self was great.

You would think Rocket and Drax would notice a large Universal Church ship above them and act but I guess the repairs weren't finished and its good way to write them out of the story.

Typical sci fi cliche but I like it when the alien egg the characters are protecting turns out to be really cool and powerful.

GoTG seems to just love ignoring power levels. IDK how Gamora kicked Black Dwarf (who was seen beating up both Hulk and Thor in AA) off screen but whatever I guess Black Widow spots her at the gym.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    #2 Capt.Traphouse, Mar 25, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  3. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

Gamora is super strong so that doesn't really bother me.

Groot's pet seemed to be strong enough to cancel out the Universal Church's "belief" powers. I thought that was interesting.

Another moment I liked was a little moment between Drax and Gamora, where Gamora lands on top of him and he just gives her a flirty, giggly smile. Just a nice little subtle animation moment.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

This episode was fun. I was hoping for something a little less filler-ish, since virtually little of the ovearching plot with the Sarcophagus was really advanced or explored, but it was still fun to watch all the same :).

Man, Quill really did have a pretty crummy childhood. From the Ravagers using him for menial labor and making him think it was fun and games, to a flashback of Yondu hitting him, growing up most not have been fun for Peter :eek:.

That disco death trap might have been the first time in a really long while that the show has actually used it's music effectively :sweat:.

So it seems Maw has roped all of the Black Order into the Believers' employ, and now seems to be leading them to boot. It was nice seeing Proxima and Black Dwarf again, though having to rely on "belief" to get them through the battles made them come off a little bit weaker compared to their showings in season 1 to me (on-top of Gamora straight-up kicking Black Dwarf like it was nothing) o_O.

Hopefully we see Corvus and Supergiant soon, and the Order's new role with the Believers leads them to be a more consistent presence in the show :cool:.

I guess Quill couldn't resist giving Gamora a look while she was on-top of him (not that I blame him). I also wonder if there was something to the fact that she, specifically, popped up in his mind pretty strongly when Maw was probing it. Granted, Rocket biting his foot also showed up, so maybe I shouldn't take all of what was shown too seriously...on-top of the monkey of course :p.

You've got to give young!Peter credit, he sure does a pretty thorough and cheery explanation for the killer death trap he's stuck you in :rolleyes2:.

I hope they tone down the Believers "I Believe" shtick, because if they keep it up like this I feel like it's going to get pretty annoying fast :rolleyes:.

Y'know, I think I would've cared more for Groot's egg storyline if the bird had stuck around with the Guardians or they tied it more deeply into Groot's loss of his family and planet :sad:.

So I guess the Believers' Believe Ship is the new Ronan's warship, in that they'll appear every episode or so only to end up quickly destroyed by the end of it. With the sarcophagus as the new Cosmic Seed and fetch quest and the Believers as the new overarching antagonists, I hope this isn't a sign of Guardians becoming formulaic :ack:.

• Like Like x 4
    #4 Frontier, Mar 26, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  5. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Decent episode but kind of dull, overall. It's nice they're continuing the sarcophagus story-line, this time with the team searching for it following the events from last week. It was neat seeing some of the traps young Star-Lord came up with back when he was with Yondu's crew. They were pretty creative and did provide some fun scenes.

I liked the return of more members of the Black Order, though I feel that "believe" routine has already gotten tedious. Hopefully they'll mix it up a little in the future. The fight scenes were entertaining enough, so I can't really complain about that portion of the episode.

Groot's side-plot was pretty boring to me. It was fairly predictable whatever comes out of the egg would end up helping them, but I was not expecting that bird thing to have those kind of powers. Pretty cool and surprising stuff.

Other than that, there were some neat moments in the episode, like Quill's reaction after Gamora falls on top of him or Groot wanting to destroy the tape player when Quill mentioned music is supposed to make people smart like him. What Ebony Maw saw when he tried to probe Quill's mind was a little too silly for me. Same goes for the ending with that space woodpecker or whatever that was. But nothing too cringe-worthy either.

On another note, I was pretty surprised this episode was written by Rich Fogel. I don't even remember the last time I saw his name in the credits for a cartoon.

Cast list:

Will Friedle - Sar-Lord A.K.A. Peter Quill
    Trevor Devall - Rocket Raccoon
    Kevin Michael Richardson - Groot, Bird
    Vanessa Marshall - Gamora
    David Sobolov - Drax
    Kari Wahlgren - Proxima Midnight
    James Urbaniak - Ebony Maw
    Jesse Burch - Black Dwarf

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Now I want a giant space dragon thing.

Peter had a tough childhood, but hey, he got to build some neat traps. Though, it's no wonder Gamora was upset with him - he literally ignored her warnings not to upset the traps, and then proceeds to do just that.

An OK episode. It had a lot of funny scenes, but there wasn't anything outstanding either

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Marble

Quill admiring his handiwork was what elevated an otherwise ho hum episode.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1