1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy "Fox on the Run" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Jun 26, 2016.

?

Rate & Discuss this Guardians of the Galaxy episode!

1. *****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ****1/2

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. ****

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Check out a new episode of Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy, today at 8:00AM ET on Disney XD! Gamora faces the Grandmaster!

[​IMG]
    Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy "Fox on the Run"
    Episode Debut - June 26th, 2016
    Directed by: Jeff Wamester
    Written by: Mairghread Scott

Gamora attempts to make amends for her past misdeeds only to find herself ensnared in a deadly trap set by Nebula, Ronan and the Grandmaster.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

#1 RoyalRubble, Jun 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
  2. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought this was a solid return for Guardians. A little more low-key an episode after Asgard War, but still plenty of action, humor, and fun character interaction and dynamics to keep things entertaining :).

It was interesting to see more focus place on Gamora being penitent for the crimes and atrocities she'd committed under Ronan, before she was shown the light" as it were. It's been an element of her character since the beginning, but never more at the forefront then in this episode as she was faced with the things she had done right to her face. I think they maybe could've mined it for more personal drama for Gamora, but the episode did do an effective job of showing Gamora as a better person then she used to be, one committed to making up for past wrongs :ack:.

Peter was pretty on-point in this episode, which was nice. Sure, there were moments where he didn't take things as seriously as he should have or was just being comedic, but when things required he be serious and say what needed to be said to help comfort Gamora with what she was going through, he did it. He also showed some good strategy during the fight with the Element Beast :cool:.

The Grandmaster's inclusion felt kind of random. Not that I mind, because Jason Spisak's Grandmaster is certainly entertaining and livens up an episode, and it's the first time we've seen him or Conjunction since their debut, but he felt a little out-of-place at the same time. I guess Ronan just wanted to make Gamora's "trial" a public affair and the Grandmaster already had a grudge against the Guardians, but it just didn't seem to jive well for me :shrug:.

Gamora's challenges, facing off against people she had wronged in the past, led to some good action sequences and insight into what wrongs Gamora had committed in the past. Wraith, Jarhead, and especially the Element Beast all had cool designs. Though now I can't help but wonder what the heck Gamora did to make Jarhead in to Jarhead :sweat:.

Did Gamora ever get her sword back or did she keep the Wraith's and Nebula's weapons? The former is certainly a lot more versatile a weapon compared to her regular sword, so it would certainly be an upgrade to her arsenal, though I would've expected the show to address it if she'd kept it o_O.

Some really nice moments of character development with the Guardians in this episode, particularly Gamora and Drax and their acknowledgement of the friendship among the Guardians. This was especially noticeable in Drax, who once again gave up an opportunity to finish Ronan so he could help Gamora and the people in danger. He's definitely not as consumed by his desire for vengeance as he once was ;).

Drax having a serious conversation about his career with one of Ronan's soldiers who just so happened to be a fan was hilarious :p.

Man, Ronan and Nebula's plan to have Gamora face people she'd wronged sure backfired in the most logical way possible. Especially when the announcer kept talking about how Gamora did all those things under Ronan's orders :rolleyes:.

If Ronan wasn't really committed to destroying the Guardians before...I'm almost certain he definitely is now. Which I guess will lead him to getting involved with the Cosmic Seed hunt, given he's been fairly separated from that overarching plot since the beginning :eek:.

• Like Like x 4
  3. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Dwarf-in-a-flask

This show continues to demonstrate why its the best Marvel cartoon on air. Character interaction takes center stage and is well done for the most part. I was a little confused by Grandmaster's inclusion at first. Then I realized that he probably hosts the most popular show in the universe (not including Mojo's show) so if you wanted to publicly execute someone Conjunction's the way to go.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Some thoughts about the episode:

- Gamora wanting to attend for some of her past crimes was a pretty good idea for a story. It would be nice if this will be addressed again in future episodes, and if she does manage to help more of those she fought before. Considering she used to work for Ronan I think an entire season alone could be filled with this kind of missions.
    - The challenges the Grandmaster came up with were interesting. I thought Gamora having to fight people who had a grudge with her for what she did in the past made for a neat parallel to her own quest in this episode. Some good action scenes, especially with the Elemental Beast which used Quill's element gun to its advantage. Using actual characters from the comics, like Wraith or Jarhead.
    - Drax getting to fight Ronan... again, and using some "cowardly misdirection" he learned from Quill. Pretty unexpected and cool. Likewise, him choosing to save his friends instead of attacking Ronan, that was some nice development to his character. Hopefully it will stick.
    - That guard being a Drax fan was pretty hilarious. An autograph and tales from his days of fighting in the arena were a good distraction. Definitely the funniest part of the episode.

All in all, pretty good stuff. A nice comeback for the show, and I am looking forward to the rest.

• Like Like x 4
  5. bigdaddy313

bigdaddy313 Well-Known Member

Welcome back Guardians

• Like Like x 3
  6. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

Sort of a filler episode, but it worked well as a team building episode and strengthening the bond with Gamora.

I have to admit, Ronan's plan was beyond stupid. "I could cleanse you now Gamora, but instead, I'm going to make an example of you by fighting in the arena and giving you a chance to survive."

What is it about super-villains? They trap their enemies and have them beat and just don't wham kill them when they have the chance. Oh well.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think it was Ronan's warped "Accuser logic" that required him to give Gamora a public trial that forced her to face up to her past misdeeds, and it's probably why he was actually willing to spare the inhabitants of the planet if she managed to overcome all the obstacles, even if she was dead either way o_O.

And who knows what would've happened to her if the rest of the Guardians hadn't arrived. The odds were definitely not in her favor until Peter and the team came to help :ack:.

• Like Like x 2
  8. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Dwarf-in-a-flask

If the super-villains behaved intelligently this would be Watchmen and we'd probably have to up the age rating. I can see it what with Ronan being the egomaniacal zealot that he is, but the more reasonable solution is to simply broadcast Gamora getting her head smashed with a hammer across the galaxy.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    #8 JoeMabbon, Jun 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  9. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Or at least turn Guardians into Young Justice :p.

• Like Like x 1
  10. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

As I've said before, I think the heroes to lose some battles but still gain something out of it. I hate to compare different writing styles, but I love how Greg Weisman's work had a lot of this in order to make the antagonists more of a threat. Mostly in this show it's either a complete win or "Part 1 cliffhanger" loss that isn't long term.

That said, Ronan and Nebula are coming across as chumps at this point. It's almost reminding me of how the villains always lost in Super Hero Squad in terms of how much of a massive failure their plan ended up being by the end of the episode.

For once, I'd love to see Gamora cry (or laugh) in this show. Same thing for Black Widow in AA.

• Like Like x 2
    #10 TheLemsterPju, Jun 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  11. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

At least it's always apparent that they're both solid, physical threats. Gamora was even with Nebula during their fight, and the rest of the Guardians weren't having much better luck against Ronan :ack:.

It was only with Rocket's plan that they were able to turn the tide completely ;).

Well, we've seen them both genuinely smile, which is probably about as much real emotion (aside from anger I guess) you could expect from them at this point :sweat:.

If Gamora was closer to her comic incarnation, she'd probably be laughing as she busted up heads, which we've seen a bit of from this version of Gamora before earlier in the season. I would be interested to see how they'd handle her character if they ever introduced Adam Warlock...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

Or the Soul Stone for that matter. :p

• Like Like x 2