1. We're giving away Twin Saga MMO Starter Packs! Get your free key here: Twin Saga Starter Pack Giveaway
  2. Episode 13 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-13/

We discuss The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, the Nintendo Switch, 20 years of Toonami, Toonami’s first era on Cartoon Network, the Adult Swim era, and what we’d like to see from Toonami in the future.

Dismiss Notice

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy "Evolution Rock" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Mar 11, 2017.

?

Rate & Discuss this Guardians of the Galaxy episode!

1. *****

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Check out a new episode of Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy, tonight at 9:30PM ET on Disney XD! Guest-starring the Avengers!

[​IMG]
    Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy "Evolution Rock"
    Episode Debut - March 11th, 2017
    Directed by: Jeff Wamester
    Written by: Mairghread Scott

The Guardians and the Avengers team up to find out what powerful secrets lie inside Thanos’ asteroid.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

• Like Like x 1
    #1 RoyalRubble, Mar 11, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  2. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

I know I said this before, but I'm getting pretty dang sick of seeing Superheroes fighting each other, especially if the conflict is portrayed this mediocrely and if the characters are bickering with one another so childishly.

But I think another gripe I have is how once again, this "Marvel Animated Universe" is disregarding it's own continuity; so apparently, neither the Avengers nor the Guardians met! This is why they're fighting and why some of them are being idiots. (some more than others)

Look I don't want to sound like I'm beating a dead horse with my criticisms for these shows, but these things are kind'a getting repetitive, and especially poorly executed.

That said, this two parter, while especially flawed, is harmless, and I'd be lying if I didn't say Drax's commentary on team names is actually kind'a funny; and the fight with the main baddie at the end was also kind'a cool (at least when they actually stopped bickering with each other)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    #2 Troy Troodon, Mar 11, 2017
  3. brodie999

brodie999 Active Member

Yeah, I think this is the first time The Avengers and Guardians met each other because This is a prequel to the other Marvel shows so we can get to find out how They met Thor and later the rest of The Avengers for the first time before the events of their own show. The Guardians said they came back to Earth a couple times which happened in Ultimate Spider-Man, Avengers Assemble and Hulk and the Agents of SMASH. So this shows the first time they came to Earth and Their early career as a team.

4. Troy Troodon

I beg to differ that it is a prequel to anything, because Ms. Marvel hasn't even been introduced by the time the teams actually did meet.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. brodie999

brodie999 Active Member

Yeah, At least We get to see How Loki betrayed Thor, Why Titus betrayed the Nova Corps and Carol Danvers was part of the Avengers at one point before it broke up and then she became independent and arrogant after that So This is before the Terrigan Mist happened in AA So Kamala hasn't become Ms. Marvel yet and this is a different team of Avengers formed before the current one in AA.

#5 brodie999, Mar 11, 2017
  6. Troy Troodon

I meant Carol Danvers! Names are confusing sometimes...

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. brodie999

brodie999 Active Member

Yeah, I meant Carol Danvers was part of the Avengers before Kamala Khan became Ms. Marvel. You're right. Sometimes, continuity is butchered but hopefully when more Marvel Shows debut in the MAU, They'll be able to explain the continuity problems.

8. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

Aside from the sarcophagus plot point, let's treat this two-part premiere as "non-canon".

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Capt.Traphouse

Capt.Traphouse Sexiest Thing Since Sex

Dude. Iron-man was super ineffective this episode. Like he went mano a mano with Hyperion in Season 1 of AA but then Groot bodies him in 5 seconds after Rocket embarrassed him and none of his tech worked.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Troy Troodon

Still more competent than how Quill is... in general.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  11. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought this episode was a much-needed step-up from part one, with the writing and character interaction being more dynamic, and the action and suspense kicking it up a notch as well :cool:.

Rocket calling Carol "Marv," reminded me of Mar-Vell, the original Captain Marvel. Who just like Hank Pym is an integral part of a legacy present in the cartoons but is never referenced or brought up :(.

This was an interesting take on the High Evolutionary. Foregoing the business of replacing humanity with evolved animals, but still keeping the mad geneticist aspect while playing up the High Evolutionary as an "artist" looking to forge himself into the ultimate being. It's certainly an interesting take on the character, if a bit of a departure from the comics, and I thought this episode did a good job of showcasing him as a fascinating and threatening villain. Nolan North also did a surprisingly good job of portraying his calculating and egomaniac personality, as well as his hidden temper :evil:.

It was also really interesting to see the Evolutionary incorporating our heroes' abilities into himself, which made him much more of a proper physical threat to the combined might of The Avengers and Guardians then you would expect :eek:.

I wonder if any of the High Evolutionary's comic background still applies to this interpretation. Is he even a human, or an alien o_O?

Don't tell me that the High Evolutionary draining Groot like that is going to leave him in that smaller state in order for some GoTG Vol. 2 synergy with Baby Groot, especially when he was apparently still stuck in that childlike form by the end of the episode. Hopefully he's back to normal by the start of the next episode :yawn:.

Man, I'm so used to Hulk and Thor taking the brunt of the punishment on these cartoons that it was kind of weird seeing Iron Man be so ineffectual across this entire two-parter :oops:.

I'm with Quill, the "Avenjet" is defintley a dumb name, especially compared to the Milano. Though all the talk about how it's "cooler" and "stronger" then the Milano felt like an attempt at advertising to kids how cool the Avenjet is supposed to be so they'll buy the toys :p.

You know someone on the production team (Cough) Wacker (Cough) has heavy investment in Carol Danvers when they go to the trouble of incorporating her fan-nickname "Princess Sparklefists." Which doesn't really make much sense here given the effect of her power doesn't even really sparkle that much compared to how it's depicted in the comics, but whatever :shrug:.

I guess if there was any doubt that the Guardians don't have any kind of strong stance against killing, Quill gleefully vaporizing the High Evolutionary should disparage any such thoughts. Heck, even The Avengers didn't seem to have much issue with what happened, so I guess any code they have stops at them and doesn't apply to whatever anyone else does :sweat:.

That sarcophagus looks way too much like Adam Warlock's cocoon to be a coincidence. I'm guessing he must be inside of that thing somehow, even if it's also apparent that there's no body or humanoid form within it. Now the question is how long before Warlock pops out of that thing and what the Guardians (and Rocket) are going to do with it now that they're stuck with the cocoon...

Killing off the High Evolutionary just like that would be a big waste of a potential villain, though I also wonder if there's a possibility the High Evolutionary wasn't killed by the power of the sarcophagus but absorbed into Adam Warlock's Soul Stone? Assuming that will still be an element of Adam's character, granted :ack:.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  12. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

Once the teams realized they were not enemies, I enjoyed their dynamics. I especially liked the friendship and bond that formed between Rocket and Captain Marvel. I'm highly amused by Rocket calling her Marv. They should've taken a step further and let them have a romance. Before anyone complains, yeah furries and all that. But Rocket is not an actual raccoon, he's technically an alien. Besides, it's nothing that hasn't already been done in comics before. But yeah, their little rivalry/friendship bond was fun.

Drax harping on Avengers not really taking vengeance was funny. The way he was scaring the civilians earlier was also funny. Previously when David Sobolov was Drax in animation, he was a bit one-note tough guy. Now he's a tough guy with quirks at least.

• Like Like x 2
  13. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

Agreed. They wasted him...as of right now.

The term you're looking for is "anthros". Furries are the people in fur suits and fans of anthros.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Once the Guardians/Avengers began teaming up, their dynamic was actually a lot more fun. Drax's "You don't Avenge" thing was funny, Gamora admitting that Cap was a better leader (and that the Avengers had a better ship) was amusing, and Rocket/Capt. Marvel had a fun dynamic.

Still, could have been way better, and beyond the interesting use of High Evolutionary (usually an X-Men villain) the conflict never felt all that dire. Also, obvious use of Baby Groot is obvious. Still, if they ever crossover the two teams again, I'm confident it'll turn out better, now that they don't have to fight one another.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. bigdaddy313

bigdaddy313 Well-Known Member

Yeah Drax was funny and the plot got better cause it was outside from AA and GOG meeting at the end of the episode.

Nolan North awesome voice actor, always interesting to hear and watch.

I rather they knew each other before their lack loster, repetitive superhero confrontation cause this story was better the last episode.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. TheVileOne

Reporter

LOL, how should I know that? ;)

17. Greg91

Greg91 Member

This was a better episode than the first episode of season two, but still not really great. High Evolutionary was pretty interesting and I think Nolan North did a good job (though I really like Corey Burton's take). I'm hoping he's not dead or the character's role in the show was seriously wasted. I do expect him to return, especially with Adam Warlock on the way. Hopefully this season picks up, because besides Adam Warlock coming up, I don't see any major plot to look forward to.

The dynamic between Captain Marvel and Rocket Raccoon was pretty fun. Could it be seeding the possibility of Carol returning in a later episode? Once again, some of the banter between the Avengers and Guardians was a bit goofy, so I hope this premiere isn't representative of the rest of the season.

When I see shows like The Legend of Korra and Star Wars Rebels, I want to see the writing of this show be better. It's quite frustrating and I guess that's what a lot of the haters of the current Marvel shows feel like. I'm just hoping things improve. :(

With the upcoming Spider-Man show in a separate continuity, I would consider the current shared universe to be solely in Avengers Assemble and Guardians of the Galaxy for the future.
    Well, it's really up to the creators to say what is canon and not canon in my opinion. For example, Wacker said Frost Fight is not canon, but as we know Ultimate Spider-Man, Avengers Assemble, Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H., and Guardians of the Galaxy are canon. Just canon that contradicts itself like the 90's animated universe.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought this was better than the previous episode, but still kind of underwhelming. The interactions between the heroes were pretty good - most notably Star-Lord and Ant-Man, and the bond formed between Rocky and Marv, which was a plot I wasn't expecting.

I liked this take on the High Evolutionary and he proved to be a good opponent for this episode. I don't think we've seen the last of him, either. It seemed he was defeated too easily and I'm guessing they can come up with a reasonable enough explanation for his return.

Rocket keeping that sarcophagus was kind of predictable but I am looking forward to learning more about it. It seems like that will be a long-running story-line this season, so hopefully it won't disappoint. All in all, a pretty good start for the new season but there are still some issues to work out.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. TheVileOne

Reporter

I don't try to keep the canon for the Marvel AU that straight because it's sort of impossible. There are definite connections, but then figure how the old version of the Guardians of the Galaxy appeared in Agents of SMASH, Ultimate Spider-Man, and I think Avengers Assemble, and then in the middle of Avengers Assemble they got revamped as the movie-fied versions.

Then figure that Hulk and Agents of SMASH apparently took place concurrently at some points as Avengers Assemble and the third season of Ultimate Spider-Man. Then Vista Verde and Red Hulk came back in Avengers Assemble, but no sign or mention of Agents of SMASH or how Hulk used to have (has?) his own team of Hulks. Also, sulking and exiled from the Avengers Hulk is all alone and has nowhere to go, but he won't hang out in Vista Verde OR go to the Vista Verde Hulk base?

Here's my general view. There is a continuity between shows, but it's a LOOSE continuity that they will use when they want. They will change it when they want and ignore it when they want, but also use it when they want.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  20. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Hack Fraud

This is more continuity as "brand awareness" than anything else. I bet you anything that someone at Marvel put that in a slide show presentation when they were discussing these shows with Disney.

I dunno, I thought his Depth Charge and Tatsurion had some layers to them.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1