1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy "Don't Stop Believin'" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Mar 13, 2016.

?

Rate & Discuss this Guardians of the Galaxy episode!

1. *****

33.3%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

33.3%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

33.3%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Check out a new episode of Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy today at 8:00AM ET on Disney XD! Featuring J'Son and Mantis!

[​IMG]
    Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy "Don't Stop Believin'"
    Episode Debut - March 13th, 2016
    Directed by: James Yang
    Written by: Steven Melching

Quill goes missing while following the Cryptocube’s readings. Jonathan Frakes (“Star Trek” series) voice guest stars as J’Son – King of the Spartaxian Galactic Empire.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

#1 RoyalRubble, Mar 13, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  2. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought this was a really great episode. Some nice action, really interesting additions to the cast, good humor, and plenty of awesome character moments :).

We finally get to see Spartax and it certainly seems, on the surface, to be a very advanced planet with plenty of varied alien life to populate it. Though with the line for actual Spartax being nonexistent compared to the mass lines for other races, it seems there's an unfair advantage given to natural Spartax which implies they may see themselves as a superior race of beings. You've also got J'Son plastering his face over the entire kingdom, which shows a pretty big ego on his part, and having the planet practically worshipping him :rolleyes:.

Y'know, the rest of the team were kinda asking to get arrested with how they acted in this episode. From Drax talking about getting "vengeance" on someone, which usually involves violence, Gamora throwing a security guard trying to search her, and Rocket damaging property. Though I guess it's to be expected given they're all ex-criminals and not the best behaved heroes. Thankfully it pays to know royalty :p.

Mantis, serenely voiced by the ever-amazing Jennifer Hale, was great to see here, and I thought she was used quite well in adding another major female face to the series and some more intrigue into the overall plot. I really liked her design and how it mixed her original comic costume with her green space-alien mantis look. I thought her interactions with Quill were cute, and her complete belief in Star-Lord and in belief itself made an interesting contrast with the rest of the team. We also even got to see her telepathy at work. I really hope she doesn't just languish in a dungeon for long and we get to see her again soon, and maybe even join the team :D.

Curious to see how much of this legend about Star-Lord is actually accurate, and how it might tie-in to the overall Cosmic Seed plot. The fact that Peter was able to master the Element Gun as well as he has without the training that Spartax Royalty are given does imply that there might be something special about him :cool:.

I wonder if the Universal Believers that Mantis is a part of are meant to be a version of the Church of Universal Truth from the DnA run? Only this time worshipping Star-Lord instead of Adam Warlock? I also wonder if she's the Celestial Protege to the Celestial Madonna o_O?

The end of the episode lead the Guardians into believing Mantis was just a religious crackpot using them to get to J'Son, and her constant ravings about "belief" and a "chosen one" certainly didn't help her case, but the end of the episode pretty much proved she was right about how bad J'Son is what with him working with Thanos and being willing to give the Cosmic Seed and his own son to the Mad Titan :eek:.

As nice as it was to see Peter meet his dad and get that heartwarming reunion, as well as learning about the history between his dad and mom, there's no way he's not going to let being royalty go to his head :sweat:.

• Like Like x 2
    #2 Frontier, Mar 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  3. Capt.Traphouse

Capt.Traphouse Sexiest Thing Since Sex

I liked that. It deals with racism and race, something I didn't think Marvel would tackle, even for a second. Cool stuff.

The faces scared me honestly, reminded me of a totalitarian dictatorship like the USSR under Stalin, Nazi Germany or North Korea today.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

Really liked this. I did not expect to see a modern Marvel cartoon actually address those issues.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. bigdaddy313

bigdaddy313 Well-Known Member

Sorry to bring this up but it was kool that the antenna lady showed some cleavage like Yuriko

6. bigdaddy313

Hold up.

Your chick?

7. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

I'm a dude. I've also been on the Internet long enough to become incredibly intolerant of hearing about people talk about their "special interests".

8. bigdaddy313

I see and about my first comment it was more of a joke with the fact that it's in a cartoon, a Marvel cartoon no less on Disney XD.

I mention Yuriko cause it was done as well in the X-Men TAS before they had to redo the episode to cover her up.

9. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

This episode was OK...but it really should have been great.

I like Mantis in the comics, but her "believe" thing got old very fast. I felt like I heard it over a dozen time.

And J'Son meeting Peter just didn't have the impact I was expecting (but Rocket yelling at Peter for not realizing that J'son was the father was funny). Also, that last twist wasn't surprising, except that it happened sooner than I expected.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Marble

So you've been on the internet for five minutes? Good, now I want to speak with you about chemtrails and how Obama is secretly...(trails off)

...Back on subject, I enjoyed the airport scenes. Everything else felt a little to obvious and underwhelming. I agree with Gold Guy, it didn't have the impact that it should have. At least Rocket got a good riff on pulp stories and their love of shocking parent reveals. I imagine the follow-up will develop all this further, but right now it just feels a little anti-climactic after all the build-up.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I do think there could've been more emotion out of Peter's meeting J'Son, especially given Peter's losing one part of his family and life, though I have to admit J'Son's recounting of meeting Peter's mom and Peter cutting him off was good for a chuckle :p.

I guess the irony is that Loki's trying to instigate a war between Asgard and the Spartax, while likely intended for selfish and nefarious reasons, might actually turn out to be a good thing given what we've seen of Spartax and the revelation of J'Son's true colors.

The only issue would be the innocents who would likely get caught in the crossfire between Asgard and Spartax and whatever Loki wants to achieve through the war :eek:.

• Like Like x 2
  12. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

Not surprised J'Son is in league with Thanos.

So we finally got Mantis in animation here, which was cool, even though she was a religious zealot. Who are the Believers anyway?

• Like Like x 1
  13. TheLemsterPju

I found a great Starlord/Mantis song.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I assume they're a version of the Church of Universal Truth from the DnA Guardians run, only they worship the Star-Lord and the prophecy related to him and not Adam Warlock like they did in the comics.

I'm not even sure she's really a religious zealot. Obviously she can come off that way and that's how the Guardians viewed her at the end, but her accusations towards J'Son appear to be accurate and the Guardians did end up passing the tests the followers of the Star-Lord are meant to partake. She may have been completely right about the prophecy and that Peter needs to stop his dad.

Heck, for all we know she might have the precognition her comic counterpart does, which would probably give her a better reason to believe in the prophecy and Peter so fervently.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. TheLemsterPju

How awesome would be to not only see the first ever Celestial in animation, but a female one at that?

This is me agreeing with @Frontier 's Celestial Madonna comment per Mantis being the "Celestial Protege".

(P.S. Madonna and Cher mentioned in the same thread.)

Also, it would be cool if the "Star Lord" in the prophecy is Adam Warlock, considering he's angelic (like a star). The whole similar name thing would be a coincidence, much to Quill's disdain.

• Like Like x 1
  16. bigdaddy313

I actually noticed something, the soldiers weapons are the same designs of Mass Effects's, someone is a fan.

• Like Like x 3
  17. TheVileOne

Reporter

I recall one of the Black Order aliens also looks like a specific race from Mass Effect too. Though not sure which one came first.

• Like Like x 1
  18. bigdaddy313

Which one of the Black Order?

19. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Mass Effect came first. The Black Order didn't debut until 2013.
    Supergiant looks like an Asari, especially in her normal form.

20. TheVileOne

Reporter

Yeah that's the one.

• Like Like x 1