1. View our list of the Top 10 Characters That Need a DC Animated Film. Click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy "Destroyer" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Aug 6, 2017.

?

Rate & Discuss this Guardians of the Galaxy episode!

1. *****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Check out Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy! Disney XD will premiere two new episodes, back-to-back, today starting at 8:00AM ET!

[​IMG]
    Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy "Destroyer"
    Episode Debut - August 6th, 2017
    Written by - Jonathan Callan
    Directed by - James Yang

The guardians travel to Drax’s home planet in hopes of summoning Warlock, they discover Xeron seeks to destroy Adam and Drax’s homecoming becomes a fight to protect his friends.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Side-Note: If possible, please try and discuss the events of each new episode airing today in its respective talkback thread.

• Like Like x 1
    #1 RoyalRubble, Aug 6, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  2. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think with this episode we've pretty much visited the homeworld of every Guardian except Gamora, though that would probably be difficult to accomplish at all given Thanos probably wiped it completely out :crying:.

Does Drax's planet seriously not have a name? It's just "Drax's Homeworld?" I'm pretty sure the movies actually gave it a name, though it also means we have no idea what Drax's race is actually called :sweat:.

Xeron was a pretty interesting and engaging new character in this episode. For the most part she was an effective antagonist, able to tussle with all the Guardians and give Drax a good run for his money, but she also served as a mirror as to what Drax's life could have been liked had he never abandoned his role as The Destoryer :cool:.

Of course her looking like a female version of Drax with blonde hair and an equal misunderstanding of metaphors also accentuated the compare/contrast :p

The show seemed to give the impression previously that "The Destroyer" was just Drax's wrestling name, but here it turns out to have been the mantle passed down by his people to those chosen to protect the temple and destroy Warlock. We even get an explanation for Drax's tattoos :eek:!

It was pretty cool seeing a younger Drax in that flashback. He was actually kind of cute :anime:.

I liked how they tied Drax leaving his role as "The Destroyer" to meeting his wife, and how he deals with the repercussions of abandoning his people to start a family and their ultimate fate. For most people that would be enough to weigh them down to where they could barely ever function, but instead Drax uses it as inspiration to do good and be a better person to honor his family's memory and live for the future with his teammates :).

Drax's people seemed to have taken some design cues from the ancient Egyptains. Sphinxes? Gryphons? Of course, the ancient Egypians never had giant robot Gryphons :D.

You do have to wonder what the logic behind crafting the temple was given you're basing it around solving riddles for a race that can't even comprehend metaphors, although I guess if anyone would be able to accomplish it it would be the closest thing Drax's people have to a "chosen one" o_O.

I wonder, did the temple plan for their to eventually be two Destroyers or was there some kind of magic/AI that allowed it to adjust once a situation of two Destroyers presented itself :confused:?

I'm really curious exactly what happened between Warlock and Drax's people, especially since it sounds like it happened more then once. Has Adam always ended up becoming the Magus whenever he's reborn or is it a 50/50 split that accommodates all the good he has done with all the evil :ack:?

It was nice to finally see Adam again and back with the Guardians, even if the circumstances of his return were a little less then ideal. Although I'm not sure how wise a plan it is to have Adam deal with J'Son when J'Son's plan from the start was getting a hold of Adam :evil:.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Not a bad episode. I'm not the biggest Drax fan, but some of his metaphor moments were humorous (but the funniest scene in the episode was definitely Peter giving Drax the headphones to drown out his command to head to Drax's Planet.)

I wish I liked Xeron, but she really annoyed me throughout the episode. There's being stubborn, and then there's being...that times 100. Seriously, I wished someone had gagged her.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Capt.Traphouse

Capt.Traphouse Sexiest Thing Since Sex

Giant robot throwing her into a wall wasn't enough?;)

I'm with everyone else, episode was okay. Xeron was dimwitted but driven which can annoy some folks but I tend to like characters like this.

The puzzles were pretty cool and the fights were good albeit short but story wise this filler was only good for reintroducing Adam in probably the laziest way possible. (Drax just happened to have a "teleport Adam to me button.")

• Like Like x 2
  5. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Pretty good episode. It was nice they added some more background information for Drax, something I honestly wasn't expecting the show to touch on after so much time has passed. His rivalry with Xeron was handled well enough, though the constant arguments about the one true Destoryer got kind of annoying.

I did like the Egyptian look of Drax's planet, complete with a Sphynx asking riddles. It didn't make much sense, but I liked it. The riddles were fairly simple but seeing Drax and Xeron struggle with understanding metaphors was amusing. And it was pretty nice it received a satisfying conclusion by the end, with the two working together in order to survive.

Adam's return was handled pretty well, and it's cool having him back on the team at least for a while.

EDIT: Here's the cast list, if anyone's curious. Morla Gorrondona voiced Xeron.
    http://i.imgur.com/hzKdNuH.png

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    #5 RoyalRubble, Aug 7, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
  6. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Freelance Photographer

A fairly simple story well told. I would've liked seeing more of Drax's people outside of flashbacks.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1