1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy "Crystal Blue Persuasion" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Feb 28, 2016.

?

Rate & Discuss this Guardians of the Galaxy episode!

1. *****

20.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

60.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

20.0%
  1. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Check out a new episode of Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy today at 8:30AM ET on Disney XD! Guest-starring the Inhumans!

[​IMG]
    Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy "Crystal Blue Persuasion"
    Episode Debut - February 28th, 2016
    Directed by: David McDermott
    Written by: Jeff Wamester

The Guardians get caught up amongst the Inhuman Royal Family and must help save the City of Attilan from Ronan.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

#1 RoyalRubble, Feb 28, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  2. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

Hm. Freddy didn't watch the episode apparently. He gives same rating every time. (I'm not saying anything wrong, mind you, I just felt like it was necessary to point out.)

The episode was okay. Maximus was funny and all, but I would have loved to see a more sane and "heroic" side of him, at least at this point in time. I feel like it would have made him feel more developed and natural as a character before his downfall into madness.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I actually thought this was a better and more interesting introduction to the Inhumans compared to their appearance in SMASH, even though most of the Royal Family had no lines and didn't even appear until the end, and felt this was a pretty good episode overall :).

Diedrich Bader as Maximus and Catherine Taber as Medusa were big surprises to hear (and I once again feel proud of my ability to discern VA's :D), but I thought they did pretty great in those roles. Bader was able to convey Maximus' arrogance and insanity quite well, especially when he started really getting crazy by the end, and Catherine Taber did a good job of conveying Medusa's regal and strong personality as well as her loving affection for her husband.

I think my only issue with Taber is she sounds a bit younger compared to Mary Faber's Medusa, and I feel Medusa should sound a little older given her position and likely age (especially compared to Crystal), though with Maximus I think I definitely prefer Bader to Nolan North. All in all a good job in the casting department, though I wish we could've heard the rest of the Royal Family ;).

I would've commented on Trevor Devall as Black Bolt, but...well, not much to comment on :sweat:.

Though I think character-wise they did pretty well with the King of the Inhumans, from his easily defeating the Guardians establishing his immense power, helping Quill figure out how to save the Inhumans from turning into Terrigen Crystals showcasing his wisdom, and his decimation of Ronan's ship demonstrating just how powerful his voice is :cool:.

I'm glad this episode delved into the idea that the Guardians have difficulty taking Peter seriously as their leader, given how often it's difficult for me to take him seriously in that role with how flippant, foolish, and sometimes obnoxious he can be in the series. Though obviously the episode also demonstrated once again how smart and crafty Quill is in his own way, even if that alone isn't always enough to endear a group of people into following your orders :shrug:.

People hoping for a Ronan and Crystal meeting in this episode, myself included, are probably going to be disappointed in this episode, and it's ironic that an episode with her name in it barely had any Crystal at all :(.

Ronan's reaction to the Inhumans as abominations makes sense given how much of a Kree nationalist he is, so Kree experimentations like the Inhumans that look more human then Kree are obviously not going to be something he's fond of :eek:.

It also looks like Ronan's starting to single out Star-Lord among the Guardians, either because of his previous defeat in the show or because he's found out more about the events of his death and Peter's role in that. I was kinda hoping for more of a fight between Black Bolt and Ronan though :(.

I was also surprised they used the Alpha Primitives here, given the kinda problematic issue with their portrayal in the comics as a slave-class or lesser class used as workers by the Inhumans....

I wonder what Maximus' words about Peter's quest might mean? It sounds like the more they search for the Cosmic Seed, the more he loses sight of what he's really after.

• Like Like x 1
  4. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

Maximus was even kookier than usual this time around as voiced by Deidrich Bader. I liked getting an Inhuman crossover here. With all the appearances in animation the Inhumans have been getting lately, maybe this can make them a candidate for their own animated show at some point.

I was disappointed the rest of the Royal Family only had short onscreen cameos. I did like the new designs for all the Royal Family members. Hopefully, they will get to use those new designs later.

I wonder what Maximus meant about the cosmic seed. Is he trying to say that the cosmic seed could be on Earth?

• Like Like x 2
  5. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Dwarf-in-a-flask

I know its hard coming up with things for the crew to do on board the ship at the start of the episode, but that little cramped space for baseball was just ridiculous.

Maximus made for a pretty lightweight villain, just a lesser, hammier Loki, until Ronan showed up. I also liked his ravings at the end. It doesn't really make sense for Maximus to know anything about the seed, but it works. Very dramatic.

Not sure how Black Bolt overcame the mind control toward the end there. Maybe distance weakened the device's hold?

• Like Like x 2
  6. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'll be honest, I found Maximus more entertaining in this one episode then I have Loki in all of his appearances in the current cartoons. Maybe it's the Diedrich Bader factor :p.

The thing with Maximus is that he's as brilliant as he is deranged, and his craziness lets him somehow see the bigger picture when nobody else can. But it's that same madness that prevents him from ever succeeding because of it.
    I think Black Bolt's immense self-control, which is how he keeps his powers and voice in check, let him overcome the mind control long enough to command Lockjaw on how to help Quill.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I never liked Maximus in the comics, and now I remember why. Yeah, his kooky thing can be amusing, but I actually cheered when Ronan swatted him aside. :p

Black Bolt, as usual, is hardcore. Love that the writers acknowledged how strong he is physically; even without his voice, he's a powerhouse. The Guardians couldn't touch him.

Lockjaw is cute. Random observation of the day.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Dwarf-in-a-flask

Yeah, but he only showed signs of overriding the device towards the end at the one moment.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Ah, true. Maybe Quill's motivational speech actually did have an effect :sweat:?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Freddy

Freddy Active Member

To tell the truth, I have not. But I'm not rating these episodes lowly out of spite either. I was about rate something else when my computer started acting-up (it's really old, so I shouldn't be suprised) and when it finally started working again my tabs were mixed-up and I didn't notice until it was too late :sweat:

I feel like an idiot.

11. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought this was a good episode, a lot better than last week's and one of the better stories overall. It was a little rushed towards the end but still a pretty great adventure and a nice introduction to the Inhumans in this continuity. The new designs for the characters looked nice and I didn't mind the new voice actors either. I liked how they added those brief history lessons on their origins, and how the main three Inhumans featured here were portrayed. Lockjaw was fine as well, and provided some amusing scenes but I was hoping to see more of the other members of the Inhuman Royal Family in action. Of course, there's always the possibility they'll return since I doubt this is going to be their only appearance on the show.

Maximus was an entertaining villain, some of his scenes were pretty funny and I liked his reactions after he realized Ronan was probably even crazier than him and wasn't going to keep his promise. His plan to mind-control the others was a little cliche but it worked for the most part and did get things moving along at a pretty good pace. His little speech about the Cosmic Seed seems to be foreshadowing to something and it will be interesting to see how everything will play out by the end of the season.

Nice way to address the fact the team never really listens to Quill's plans (though they usually have good reasons for that). The interactions between the characters continue to be one of the show's strongest points. The humor was decent this time, though the baseball gags were kind of forced. But other than that, no real complaints. The action scenes were good and as a whole the episode was entertaining enough for me.

I edited the poll to give users the ability to change their votes. You should be able to change the rating now, if you want.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

I really liked this one. That Cowboy episode left me feeling hesitant to check this one out until I saw the Inhumans were guesting but I was glad I watched. I wasn't sure why they were playing baseball on the Milano but the Sandlot joke was a nice touch (I never would have thought Hercules when I saw Lockjaw. Now it seems do obvious.). My only nitpick had to do with not seeing Crystal or Karnak or any of those other goofballs. Attilan always feels like a ghost town on these shows.

It's really not necessary. No one should have to worry about rating a certain way just because someone might look at the ratings and judge it.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk.

• Like Like x 2
    #12 Rick Jones, Feb 29, 2016
  13. qadleez

qadleez Active Member

How come ultimate spiderman can't say the word kill but gotg can?

14. ClodClavo

ClodClavo Member

Who said USM "Couldn't" use the world Kill?

I think they just "Don't" use it, my guess it has something to do with the writers?

Edit: Now that I recall in the Deadpool Episode, Deadpool talks about "Un-alive'ing" Taskmaster and Spider-Man scratches his head for a moment and says you "You mean you wanna kill him?". I'm going off memory so I'm not 100% sure.

#14 ClodClavo, Feb 29, 2016