1. View our list of the Top 10 Characters That Need a DC Animated Film. Click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy "Black Helmet Woman" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Apr 15, 2017.

?

Rate & Discuss this Guardians of the Galaxy episode!

1. *****

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. ***1/2

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Check out Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy! Disney XD will premiere five new episodes, back-to-back, today starting at 12:00PM ET!

[​IMG]
    Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy "Black Helmet Woman"
    Episode Debut - April 15th, 2017
    Written by - David McDermott
    Directed by - James Yang

After being infused with incredible power from a Nova Helmet, Gamora leads the Guardians and her sister Nebula on a mission to infiltrate the Believer flagship.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Side-Note: If possible, please try and discuss the events of each new episode airing today in its respective talkback thread.

• Like Like x 1
    #1 RoyalRubble, Apr 15, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  2. trance2009

trance2009 Fun to play with not to eat

I get it's to promote the movie but it's kinda weird to do a five episode dump all at once.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought this was a pretty strong episode and one of the best of the "search for the sarcophagus" arc. The animation was generally good, the action was solid and enjoyable, Nebula makes her grnad return, the team banter and character moments were all fun, interesting, and on point, and the overarching mystery of the season deepens :D.

This seemed like one of the better animated episodes of Guardians as of late. The designs and character movements were all a lot sharper, and the coloring was a little more brighter and defined. Even the CG, like with Nebula's Mecha suit, actually looked a little better and more fluidly animated then the CG in other Marvel cartoons :cool:.

It was nice to finally see Nebula again since her fate in the season 1 finale was left in doubt, though no one really bothered to ask exactly how she survived the destruction of Ronan's ship...I wonder if Nebula's survival is a clue Ronan might have survived as well, or if we're just supposed to assume she quickly too an escape pod after becoming disillusioned of her former master o_O?

I guess now that Nebula's no longer serving Ronan she's falling back on collecting her father's artifacts as her birthright to keep her occupied. I'm sure the fact that it was likely to give her more opportunities to try and kill her sister was also appealing :evil:.

You really have to wonder how exactly Thanos managed to obtain that sarcophagus, a black Nova helmet, and...Quasar's Quantum Bands :eek:!?

When Gamora put on the helmet, was that the Worldmind she was communicating with? At least that's what I thought that figure behind all those other Nova's was supposed to be, and who Gamora felt was feeding her all that information...makes you wonder how much this season will dive into the Nova Corps. mythology and how it all ties into Adam Warlock :ack:.

Did Rocket always have those guns that could just pop out over his head? Those feel new. Still looked pretty cool though :cool:.

Nice character moment with Rocket acting a little more seriously and emotionally in trying to calm Gamora down, drawing on his own experience with the Destroyer armor :).

So Adam Warlock's cocoon wasn't the sarcophagus, it was in the sarcophagus. It's like a Russian nesting doll :p.

I also have no idea what women see in Quill, or how he managed to get that receptionist so into him. Not only was that outfit not very flattering on him, but he barely said anything flirtatious before she was quick to leave with him for a makeout session :sweat:.

How did the Guardians not realize that was a Nova Corps. helmet until Nova Prime called them? It has their symbol on it and everything :confused:.

I wonder if there's any hope of redemption for Mantis. She's traditionally a hero in the comics, and will be joining the Guardians in the upcoming movie, but here she seems like a hopeless fanatic who's willing to do anything to fulfill the goals of the Universal Believers, no matter who might get hurt in the process :mad:.

You have to wonder how much the Guardians constantly destroying their flagships is costing the Believers, since I imagine those don't come cheap. Of course, with their large membership, they probably get enough donations on a daily basis to make up for it, and I'm sure they probably use a little belief to make things easier :rolleyes2:.

Gamora and Nebula getting absorbed into the cocoon was an unexpected twist, though one that looks like it will lead to the Guardians finally discovering what happens when someone's absorbed into it. Maybe we'll find out exactly how Warlock's Soul Stone works in this continuity ;)?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Capt.Traphouse

Capt.Traphouse Sexiest Thing Since Sex

Awesome episode. Loved the dialogue and fights, Gamora was on some DBZ stuff, very good!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

You know, if the helmet didn't have such negative side effects (and if the Novas Corp didn't want it back), the helmet would be a very handy item for the Guardians to keep.

But yeah, one of the most action-packed episodes of the season. The animation boost came in handy considering that Gamora's Nova power needed that extra sense of speed and power.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

I'm curious why they've brought in the Nova helmet and the Quantum bands and where they plan on taking those elements. I'm a big fan of Quasar and would love to see Quasar in this show.

Anyway, I like this new over-arching plot so far and look forward to seeing where they take it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. BlackoutCreature

BlackoutCreature Well-Known Member

Maybe it was just me but her dialogue seemed to suggest she had self-esteem issues.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

This was a really great episode in my opinion. I found it interesting that Nebula seemed to survive her fate in season one with no question or word of Ronan.

I'm glad Gamora managed to survive the power of the black Nova helmet. I'm guessing this is how Sam Alexander will be involved in the story.

Nebula taunting Gamora and causing trouble was pretty fun to see. The ending, with Gamora, Nebula, and the cocoon, was unexpected though.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Great episode. I like how it picked up from where "Lyin' Eyes" left off, with Yondu and the sarcophagus. Nebula's return was handled pretty well and it's pretty nice having her back on the show. But of course Gamora was in the spotlight this time, and that black Nova helmet gave her a cool power upgrade.

It was also nice seeing the others, most notably Rocket, actually worry about her. Plus some more nice continuity nods to last season, when Rocket took control of the Asgardian Destroyer armor. All in all a pretty awesome episode with a great cliff-hanger ending.

Cast list:

Will Friedle - Star-Lord A.K.A. Peter Quill
    Trevor Devall - Rocket Raccoon, Arokine
    Kevin Michael Richardson - Groot, Guard Captain
    Vanessa Marshall - Gamora
    David Sobolov - Drax
    Jennifer Hale - Mantis
    Tara Strong - Nova Prime, Receptionist, Automatic Voice
    Cree Summer - Nebula

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Freelance Photographer

Nebula really benefited from ditching Ronan it's nice having her as a primary antagonist again.

It'd be funny if they kept the matryoshka doll gag running. Inside the cocoon there could be an egg, inside that there could be a bag, inside that there could be a jar, inside that there could be a cage, inside that there could be a shell, inside that there could be a safe, inside that there could be a cabinet, inside that there could be a...

• Like Like x 4
  11. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

I think Nebula's character design looks a lot better without the biotic augments. I'm glad they kept the character's changes consistent after Ronan was able to restore her body with the Seed powers back in the first season.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1