Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy "Behind Gold Eyes" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Nov 12, 2017.

?

Rate & Discuss this Guardians of the Galaxy episode!

1. *****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Check out a new episode of Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy, today at 8:30AM ET on Disney XD!

[​IMG]
    Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy "Behind Gold Eyes"
    Episode Debut - November 12th, 2017

The Guardians and Nova battle Dark Warlock and J’son on Planet Y. Can our heroes save their friend Warlock and the universe before it’s too late?

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Side-Note: If possible, please try and discuss the events of each new episode airing today in its respective talkback thread.

• Like Like x 1
  2. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

Damn, I guess it's up to Thanos to resurrect the Black Order now.

The moment where Gamora was eaten by an illusion of her father almost made me cringe (if they had shown it swallowing her). Yuck!

• Like Like x 2
  3. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

The Guardians' fight with the Magus coming back to Planet Y felt kind of full-circle, and it was nice to see the Klyntar and Rocket and Groot's family again ;).

I was kind of surprised by how much this echoed the conclusion of Vol. 2, since we have the climax coming down to Peter facing off against his father as the main villain and both of them gaining special powers from the environment they're in. J'Son even has a beard like Ego :eek:.

Y'know, I can't help but admit that J'Son had a point about Peter's issues with commitment being his fatal flaw. Whenever it comes to being a hero, a lover, or even an outlaw it's always felt kind of half-hearted on his part even if he ultimately does do the right thing in the end and goes all out on it. Really, the only thing he's ever seemed to be 100% committed to is the team :ack:.

Of course, I agree with Peter that that still makes him better then J'Son with his craving for power and cruelty, particularly when he tried to use the Guardians' loved ones against them and had to make them fight their own families :mad:.

Props to Eric Bauza for pulling off the constant shifting between Adam and Magus :cool:.

Isn't Sam an official Nova? So he should be able to arrest J'Son, and is a more legitimate law-enforcer compared to the rest of the Guardians :p.

I always had a feeling that Adam's story would ultimately end in tragedy, as it so often has for him in the comics, so I wasn't surprised to see him take the brunt of J'Son's blast and enter back into hibernation (which I think is what happened). So while it was sad to see Adam go, it was nice to see the Guardians reflect on all the good he's done for them and the universe across this season. He really was one of the team :proud:.

Leaving Adam's new cocoon on Planet Y felt fitting given how much he gave to that planet, and that was a pretty majestic altar for Warlock they stet up, and I hope the show goes on long enough for us to see Adam's rebirth at some point :).

Don't tell me Groot giving Adam some of his energy for his new cocoon means we're stuck with Baby Groot for movie synergy :sweat:.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, I also knew that Warlock (and the Nova helmets, while we're at it) wouldn't be sticking around into season 3. Too OP; only a few villains would really be a challenge anymore.

Whole I get what the writers were doing, having the heroes fight illusions of their family/friends, that part was maybe a bit rushed; it didn't have the emotional impact that it could have had.

So apparently these two episodes were actually the season finale, but Disney XD skipped a few episodes, so I guess we'll be seeing them down the line...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. General Mike

General Mike Member

Probably a Chrismas special and something else. Maybe a 2 parter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

One of them already aired (entitled "It's Tricky"). The second one is "Unfortunate Son"; which is the Korvac episode. That one airs in December.

• Informative Informative x 2
  7. General Mike

General Mike Member

Okay, that makes sense. I was looking at the episode guide on Wikipedia, and it only had 24 episodes listed, but then I remembered they combined the shorts from season 2 as 1 episode in the iTunes season package.

• Like Like x 1
  8. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

This was a pretty good finale. The fight with Magus was nice and I thought they did a decent job at showing just how powerful and dangerous he is. The action scenes were for the most part good, though I admit I thought they got a little tedious by the end.

I liked all the other sub-plots they had going on - the Nova helmets, the fight with J'Son, etc. The conclusion with Adam Warlock's new cocoon was handled pretty well. I imagine there might be a chance to see him again in the next season.

All in all, a decent ending to this season's story-arc. The arc had its moments ("Black Helmet Woman" or "Rock Your Baby" come to mind), and I did find it more intriguing as a whole than the first season's Thanos arc (though last season's Spartax Arc is still probably the best thing to come out of this show).

• Like Like x 1
  9. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Marvel's Guardians Of The Galaxy "Behind Gold Eyes"

If Peter hums that Ooga Chaka song again, Rocket will vaporize his vocal chords.

Peter's Earth reference ultimately depressing him because Sam said his grandpa used to play that game was hilarious.

I like Peter calling J'san a lackey. He knows exactly what button to push.

Fun Fact: "Magic Carpet Ride" was the song Zefram Cochrane played as he broke the Warp Barrier for the first time in Star Trek: First Contact.

Good ending. ****1/2.

• Like Like x 1