1. View our list of the Top 10 Characters That Need a DC Animated Film. Click here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy "Back In Black" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Jul 8, 2017.

?

Rate & Discuss this Guardians of the Galaxy episode!

1. *****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Check out Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy! Disney XD will premiere four new episodes, back-to-back, today starting at 11:30AM ET!

[​IMG]
    Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy "Back In Black"
    Episode Debut - July 8th, 2017
    Written by - Tom Pugsley
    Directed by - James Yang

The Guardians meet Sam Alexander, an Earth teen who has been experimenting with his father’s Nova Helmet. But the Guardians aren’t the only ones who know of the helmet’s power.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Side-Note: If possible, please try and discuss the events of each new episode airing today in its respective talkback thread.

• Like Like x 1
    #1 RoyalRubble, Jul 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  2. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

This was a really fun episode! I found it interesting that Rocket and Groot went to Earth to get Sam's helmet. It made a bad first impression on Sam, but at least Peter tried to smooth it over. I really like how Peter tried to ease Sam's concerns.

I liked how Drax immediately started training Sam afterwards. It was also great to see Kraglin appear in the show, as he and the Ravagers mentioned Yondu's absence.

When Mantis got involved, I was surprised that we got to hear what happened to her after she was captured way back in season one. It seems like J'Son had plans for her and the other powerful telepathic beings.

It was crazy to see how much belief power she had when she was using those batteries! I wasn't sure how the Guardians would get out of it, but Rocket was pretty smart to use the belief power against her. At the end, it was too bad Sam trusted J'Son and Mantis over the Guardians, but the team's bad first impression had an effect.

Overall, this was a great introduction to Sam on this show and already gave us more background on Sam and his connection to the Nova helmet than the entirety of Ultimate Spider-Man. I'm glad Logan Miller came back to reprise the role. Sam seemed more humble here than his early appearances in USM.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #2 Greg91, Jul 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  3. General Mike

General Mike Member

Good start to the arc. Kinda funny that anyone who believes can just access the Believer powers. I'll probably add more after a second watch

• Like Like x 3
  4. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Pretty good episode. It's cool they brought in Sam Alexander as Nova. I'm not a huge fan of the character and he was one of my least favorite guys on Ultimate Spider-Man but I liked how they handled him here. I guess setting up a story-arc about him and his family helped.

I wasn't really expecting J'Son to be responsible for the Believers. It's pretty nice to see him again since I thought the Spartax arc last season was the best thing to come out of this show so far.

Some pretty nice scenes with the Guardians interacting with Sam and trying to train him, or Rocket trying to steal his helmet. It was kind of predictable Sam would join J'Son at the end but it still played out pretty well.

Here's the cat list, if anyone's curious:
    gotg-17.png

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Capt.Traphouse

Capt.Traphouse Sexiest Thing Since Sex

Anyone else feel J'Son creating the Believers felt contrived?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

So then this Sam isn't the same one as the Sam from USM?

I'm actually fine with this, this Sam is way less of a jerk (but perhaps more gullible?). His interactions with the Guardians were fun.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon "Sharpshooter"

I think this story arc did more with Sam in four episodes than Ultimate Spider-Man did in four seasons.

So the theme of this season is "What if children gained cosmic powers?"

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I really wish I could see how the animation budget for the Marvel cartoons works. This season started out looking pretty lackluster with The Avengers team-up but over the course of the season the animation has improved considerably to the point where it looks pretty consistently solid (especially compared to Assemble or the upcoming Spider-Man cartoon). Either somebody gave them an animation bump or they've just been saving up most of their budget :confused:.

It's no big secret that I'm not the biggest fan of the animated version of the Sam Alexander Nova, so knowing he'd be making a return appearance on Guardians of the Galaxy was not something I was looking forward too. That being said, I think the show did a pretty good job of re-introducing him as a character and integrating him onto the show :).

Maybe it was because this version of Sam was closer to the comics version, right down to living with his Mom and sister and missing his Dad, maybe it was because this version of Sam seemed to have a grasp of humility and self-awareness that the Nova from Ultimate Spider-Man never did, maybe it was because he was paired with the Guardians (who aside from Groot generally aren't the nicest bunch on a good day)...but I thought Sam here was far more endearing and likeable then he ever was on USM ;).

He's still kind of an idiot though, what with blindly freeing J'Son and spiriting him and Mantis out of there when there was obviously something fishy going on. But at least here it was because he's desperate to find his dad again and not because he's just dumb like he was on Ultimate Spider-Man :rolleyes2:.

The Guardians are in no way the most ideal mentors for a newly-forged cosmic hero, especially when they end up taking a minor into a space dive bar with the intention for him to get "roughed up." That being said, it's nice to see the team, especially Peter, at least trying to have a positive influence on Sam and how that rubs off on him :anime:.

So...are we supposed to believe that the reason Mantis is so evil is because J'Son brainwashed her into his loyal slave and cultist after she was taken prisoner in season 1 o_O?

I was hoping we would see J'Son pop up again at some point after his strong showing in season 1, and is the most compelling antagonist for Peter to face-off against, though I certainly wasn't expecting for him to turn out to be the Patriarch and, essentially, the main villain of the season :eek:.

But I guess it fits that someone so convinced of their inherent superiority and belief in their right to rule would construct a cult that worships him and is powered by their belief. I just wonder what Warlock's role in his plans is :ack:.

I was expecting they were going to keep the Patriarch as the Magus, but I guess they thought (maybe rightfully so) that having Warlock's evil future self be behind it all would be a tad too convoluted for a kids cartoon :sweat:.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1