1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy "Asgard War, Parts 1-2" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Apr 10, 2016.

?

Rate & Discuss this Guardians of the Galaxy episode!

1. *****

50.0%
  2. ****1/2

25.0%
  3. ****

25.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Check out a new episode of Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy today at 8:00AM ET on Disney XD! The Asgard War begins!

[​IMG]
    Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy "Asgard War, Part 1: Lightnin’ Strikes”
    Episode Debut - April 10th, 2016
    Directed by: James Yang
    Written by: Marsha Griffin

Asgard attacks Spartax, with Quill and the Guardians caught in the middle trying to expose the deception behind the conflict.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

#1 RoyalRubble, Apr 10, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  2. trance2009

trance2009 Fun to play with not to eat

Pretty good one. I like how they're not skirting the feels regarding Quill and his for lack of a better term, deadbeat dad.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think this was the most exciting episode so far. Lots of action, and the story played out nicely. It was great seeing more Asgardians on the show, including the Warriors Three (though only two of them were seen in action), and more from both Angela and Victoria on Spartax' side. I was hoping for a fight between the two but Victoria versus Thor was good enough.

The fight between Star-Lord and his dad J'Son was probably the highlight of this episode for me. Pretty awesome use of the Elements Guns and some nice choreography, plus I thought it had a bigger impact than the rest of the stuff happening. J'Son is a pretty intriguing character with him wanting the war to happen since he thinks he can win it this time because he's allied with Thanos.

Loki was used pretty well but the way he was tricked into revealing his plans felt a little too predictable to me. But it still played out well enough and he got his punishment by the end. Just in time for Thanos to make his appearance. :p Looking forward to the next part.

• Like Like x 2
  4. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Marble

The ending to the J'Son/Star-Lord battle was very Star Wars.

J'Son probably should've just had his son's mask destroyed when he confiscated it.

A very good part one, eager to see how it plays out.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought this was a really strong and great episode, and a good opening episode in this semi-hyped two-parter, with some awesome action sequences, nice character moments, happily welcomed appearances by some more Asgardians, and some genuinely humorous moments to boot. Here's hoping part two can live up to this quality :).

I think this episode was one of Peter's best showings in the entire series up to this point, and it had him at his most heroic, competent, and cunning. The only issue I had was that he was apparently more concerned with stopping the war to save his family then to save the innocent lives that would obviously be caught in the crossfire. But I still much prefer this Star-Lord to the immature, dumb, man-child depiction of him ;).

I was hoping the Guardians would free Mantis while they were breaking out, especially given she was probably in a cell close by. Given all the revelations Peter's had in regards to his father's true nature, you'd think he'd realize Mantis was right about him and try to free her :(.

Star-Lord vs. J'Son was one of the best action sequences in the show yet, amplified by the build-up in this arc to Peter and J'Son facing off with each other and the familial bond they have in-spite of all their issues. The choreography and varied use of the Element Gun by both characters led to some pretty great visuals, and Peter really proved himself against his dad here :cool:.

And I guess it just goes to show you how messed up J'Son is that he thinks turning his son into a criminal makes him a worthy heir to the Spartax throne (which probably says a lot about him too) and that he's so obsessed with power he'll help instigate a war if it means he'll eventually have more power by the end of it. Not to mention insulting Meredith, a woman he supposedly loved, in front of their son :mad:.

It was awesome seeing some more Asgardians in this episode, especially the Warriors Three since we haven't seen them since that one SMASH episode years ago. While it was weird to see them apart, and Volstagg missing the action, it was still awesome to see them in action alongside Thor, Heimdall, and Angela :D.

I'm not sure how I feel about Thor being so gung-ho about the war with the Spartax. J'Son was the criminal here, not the planet and its people, so declaring war and endangering people who had nothing to do with J'Son stealing the Cosmic Seed seemed unlike Thor :ack:.

I think this episode is a great demonstration of how lenient Standards and Practices have become over the years. We had the Asgardians decimating the Spartax fleet, and obviously causing a lot of casualties, but because we don't see any bodies they're able to just cut through them like butter. That said, it was honestly a little unsettling for me to see Thor doing stuff like that o_O.

I definitely thought the war portion of the episode was handled fairly well and realistically, showing just how outclassed the Spartax were against the Asgardians and just how powerful the Asgardians truly are. Five Asgardians, with two of the All-Father's children in tow, were able to match and overwhelm the entire Spartax armada :eek:.

Really good showing by Victoria in this episode, from her believing Peter's word about being able to prove what's going on and giving him the means to do so, as well as leading the Spartax against Asgard and continuing to fight against such insurmountable odds. She even got the chance to fight Thor in single combat, and while it was obvious she didn't stand a chance and he wasn't taking her seriously as a threat, it's still to her credit that she made the effort. I'd say Victoria has more then proven she has the right stuff to really lead the Spartax :cool:.

So the Thor and the rest of the Asgardians know Loki is the Prince of Lies...and yet they still trust him and his strategy suggestions? I mean, I get that Thor has always had a blind spot when it comes to his brother, but keeping Loki as what amounts to a high-ranking advisor seems like just asking for what ultimately happened here. That they call him the Prince of Lies already suggests he's up to his usual mischief even in the context of this show's canon :confused:.

And sending Heimdall, Asgard's greatest defender and eyes into danger, into the front lines instead of staying behind to do his job and watch for enemy retaliation sounds like a terrible strategy Thor :rolleyes:.

Also, Loki telling the Asgardians in the throne room that something was going to happen to Thor during the battle...isn't that making it a little too obvious what you're doing Loki? Then again, he was already basically king by then, so I guess it didn't matter :sweat:.

Wow, Loki's plan deflated pretty quickly. I mean, I get it was reliant on Thor dying, but you'd think he'd have had a backup plan or a contingency in place something happened. After all that work, only to end up being arrested by the other Asgardians there, seems a bit anti-climicatic given all the machinations that went into giving him the Asgardian throne. Then again, everybody now has Thanos to worry about :eek:.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

This episode was actually a lot better than I expected, for a few reasons.

I was worried that the writers would have the Asgardians lose to the Spartans - I was relieved to see that only a handful of Asgardians were more than enough.

I was also worried that annoying Loki wouldn't be caught until Part 2, so that was a pleasant surprise.

Peter vs J'Son was actually really well choreographed. Those element guns can be really cool at times.

But yeah, my biggest gripe was Thor and the others leaving Loki unguarded in Asgard. No way they should trust him like that.

• Like Like x 3
  7. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

This is kind of interesting, and some may have noticed already but I didn't. According to the credits, Hermod was in this episode. I thought that was supposed to be Balder.

Here are the credits for the episode:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

I'm really sure what game J'Son is playing here. However, I'm not sure he's completely on the level with Thanos. He seems obsessed with beating Asgard in a war. Why? Did Asgard take something from him? But then at the end, he went along with Loki in making a truce.

Now maybe this is just a little convoluted. Or maybe, just maybe, J'Son is playing this game like Peytr Baelish in Game of Thrones and he's trying to keep his enemies guessing and unaware at every turn. He's simply trying to play everybody at all times, just like Baelish.

Thor willing to annihilate an entire race of people over the theft of the Cosmic Seed is very un-Thor-like. Well I guess it's like movie Thor before he went to Earth. So maybe that's how Thor is similar here? But he was rather bloodthirsty about destroying everyone on Spartax. That was rather cruel.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

From what I could tell, J'Son's reason for starting the war was to be put into a position where he could conquer Asgard and gain more power then he ever had before, which seems to be the main goal that's been driving him ever since he obtained the Cosmic Seed back in the day :ack:.

It also seems like he was working with Loki the entire time given the role Loki played in kickstarting the war, which J'Son actually planned, and that they both tried to push for a truce/peace once the fighting was over and they were in a position of control. Though given Thanos was at J'Son's beck and call, I presume he had always planned to betray Loki o_O.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Dragnatek

Dragnatek Well-Known Member

Well a master of lies can be good to have on your side when he is lying to your enemies. He just has to be watched closely as he will likely turn on you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. TheVileOne

Reporter

Then why did he form a truce with Loki?

• Like Like x 2
  12. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

To have the satisfaction of pulling one over on the Trickster himself? I wouldn't be surprised if he fully intended to call on Thanos one way or another, truce or no truce, and Peter and Thor forced his hand :eek:.

• Like Like x 2
  13. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Marble

I got the impression that J'Son was just doing this to win. Not to gain power, but because an opportunity presented itself and he took it—like any self-respecting thief should.

• Like Like x 2
  14. TheVileOne

Reporter

But if he wanted a war just to win but then abruptly stopped the war to truce with Loki...what does he really want now?

15. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Marble

Not entirely sure. He seems to have had Thanos in reserve, judging by how quickly he arrived on the scene. Maybe that was his trump card that would allow him to finally triumph over the Asgardians.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think the thing with J'Son is that, even when it seems like things aren't going his way or against what he intended, ultimately his plan really is coming together under his terms o_O.

Loki helping Peter break into Asgard and learn the truth about his father seemed, on the surface, to be something J'Son didn't have in mind but if the two are actually working together, it appears to have actually been planned beforehand.

So I imagine that J'Son always has some stake and plan in place, no matter what twist happens during his plans.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

Just like [the guy in my avatar].

• Like Like x 2
  18. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Same VA too :D.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

On a separate note, did one of those major Spartax buildings resemble Apocalypse's citadel from the WatXM series finale?

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  20. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, that was a nice surprise, and I also mistook Hermod for Balder (especially since the former is more obscure then the latter). It was weird seeing that group staying behind with Loki there when Hermod and Volstagg seem more sensible to send out then Heimdall :sweat:.

I was disappointed Sif didn't make an appearance, but I expected as much with Angela already having a heavy presence :shrug:.

• Like Like x 1