1. View our list of the Top 10 Characters That Need a DC Animated Film. Click here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy (Animated)" News & Discussion Thread, Part 3 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, May 3, 2017.

1. thisguyisnotcool

thisguyisnotcool Active Member

This season is going by quick. How many episodes are left? Will this get a season 3?

2. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

After the four episodes set to air on July 8th, there are only nine more left for this season.

A 3rd season hasn't been confirmed yet. If it does get a new season it will probably be announced next month at either the D23 Expo or the San Diego Comic-Con.

• Informative Informative x 4
  3. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I don't think they really suffer from a lack of villains, because even the original Guardians had a pretty eclectic Rogues Gallery, though I think they're just reusing the Universal Believers characters a lot because they're the overarching villains for this season :ack:.

Now with added J'Son from season 1 ;).

Kinda like how Ock was in almost every episode of Ultimate Spider-Man vs. The Sinister Six.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. spyke

spyke Well-Known Member

No, the franchise suffers from too much synergy with the (IMO) lame and overrated movie version.

5. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think that's more a legitimate criticism for Assemble then Guardians, but I can understand feeling that way if you preferred the DnA take on the team and not Gunn's revamp :ack:.

Though I'd also say the cartoon has done a much better job of carving out it's own identity separate from the movies then some of the other Marvel cartoons have :).

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. spyke

spyke Well-Known Member

True, but that's because they were already airing the first season and well into production on the 2nd season of GOTG before the 2nd movie script was finished and was starting to film. The show runners weren't made fully aware of the plots and character beats (they were aware of some things), so they couldn't make the animated series completely like the movies. However, I guarantee you that if GOTG get a 3rd or 4th season, the show will retcon characters in order to make them reflect their movie versions. Also, as the intro of the High Evolutionary and Adam Warlock in this series has shown us, any new characters introduced into this series are written so that they can easily fit within the context of the movie versions. IMO, that is creatively limiting and boring.

• Informative Informative x 2
  7. Capt.Traphouse

Capt.Traphouse Sexiest Thing Since Sex

Is Korath dead?

8. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I was under the impression he was still stuck in Rocket's device...

• Like Like x 1
  9. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

No previews for this week's episodes yet. :(

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I imagine they'll come out either on Thursday or Friday :).

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

July 5th:
    The 4th of July holiday might have slowed things down a little, as far as publicity goes. Though if they will release any previews the next days I suppose it will be a clip from only one of the episodes premiering on Saturday.

July 6th:
    And here's the clip.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Sounds like they actually got Logan Miller to reprise Sam for this, which I'm a little surprised by. Though hopefully his characterization is a step-up from USM...

It's nice to hear Jonathan Frakes as J'Son again, though J'Son in a Nova suit is just kind a weird :confused:.

13. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

Really? I definitely expected Logan Miller to come back. His voice as Sam is pretty recognizable to me. I wonder if he had fun returning as Sam in the Guardians recording sessions since the USM cast is no longer recording the show.

I do understand expecting a possible recast since Iron Man and Ant-Man's voice actors have changed pretty recently. And I agree about Jonathan Frakes. :)

• Like Like x 2
  14. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I was just wondering if they would reboot Sam to be closer to the comics, and recast the role as a result, rather then try and maintain any continuity with USM (which this appearance will probably throw out the window). Obviously they seem to be going with the latter :sweat:.

I think Logan Miller definitely did a good job with the take on Sam the cartoons went for, even if it's not one I really cared for or liked, but it's one that he fit. Hopefully this arc gives him a good chance to shine in the role :).

• Like Like x 2
  15. Capt.Traphouse

I like this show but goodness it is awful about introducing new villains. J'Son was great but we've already seen him before. I hope someone like Nova Omega appears, he would be cool.

I wonder if Quill will kick of Sam's hatred of guys named Peter. Lol.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm not as bothered by it because it least it's been a while since J'Son was a major villain, and obviously he has that familial connection with Peter that they can mine :).

That being said, I really hope we don't have to wait long to get back into the Warlock storyline...

Honestly, Sam getting mentored by this version of the Guardians could explain so much about his personality in Ultimate Spider-Man :sweat:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Two more episodes scheduled for August 5th, according to Zap2It:

Destroyer
    You Can't Always Get What You Want

• Informative Informative x 2
  18. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

Nice to hear Warlock comes back and has a strong role in the next episodes. Good thing these are only two episodes. I hope they don't binge release the last few episodes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Capt.Traphouse

Cool Xeron the Starslayer, old school Hulk villain!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  20. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm glad we're finally getting back to what's going on with Adam and continuing his storyline. It'll be good to see him again, and back with the Guardians as an adult :D.

I'm guessing the Guardians are going to try and get Adam's help in order to stop J'Son, though something tells me that's actually going to play into J'Son's plans :ack:.

It'll be cool to see Drax's planet, since he's talked about it and his life there so much that it'll be interesting to see what it's like, as well as his people. It would also be nice to potentially get more insight into Drax before his family's death and his joining the Guardians, and what his wife and daughter were like :).

Xeron is such a wonderfully obscure villain. I love it :anime:.

Rocket enlisting Warlock to try and restore his family makes sense, even if I can't say I'm looking forward to seeing them again :sweat:.

• Like Like x 1