1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy (Animated)" News & Discussion Thread, Part 3 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, May 3, 2017.

1. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

Well, now that we have Adam Warlock (and more Mantis), the only other characters I'm really interested in seeing are probably another comic Guardian like Moondragon or Phyla-Vell and Mr. Knife.
    It's nice to see the show get some attention somewhere. :) I have to agree with the writer as well. However, I think there are fans of the comics and movies who have seen the show and think it's too goofy or 'an insult to the DNA comics', but if you look past the flaws, I think the show is a pretty good series.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It is really nice to see an article like this covering the show and showcasing the cast and staff and what they've brought to the table, as well as all the series' strong points and what it's been able to accomplish over the course of it's run :).

It's been such a fairly consistently enjoyable and solidly written series that I feel it deserves a lot of credit and acknowledgement for those achievements and for the strong identity it's been able to make for itself ;).

The only major things I would disagree with this article on are the animation being a "rock-solid example of Marvel's modern day animation efforts" given how inconsistent the quality and coloring can be at times (then again, that is kinda in line with Avengers Assemble and SMASH) and the music which I feel, outside the main score, isn't as well-utilized as in the movies :sad:.

But I do think it's an interesting question to raise as to what kind of effect being on Disney XD, which isn't a channel many people have access too, and the lack of any physical DVD releases may impact the Marvel cartoons and the kind of audience they can reach o_O.

• Like Like x 1
  3. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

More Marvel Animation news will be revealed at this year's D23 convention on July 14th.

• Informative Informative x 3
  4. spyke

spyke Well-Known Member

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Four new episodes set to air on Saturday, July 8th according to Zap2It.

S02, E14 Back in Black 7/08/2017
    S02, E15 Knights in Black Helmets 7/08/2017
    S02, E16 Nova Me, Nova You 7/08/2017
    S02, E17 Mr. Roboto 7/08/2017

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  6. TheLemsterPju

All in one day?

Yeah, I don't think Disney XD has much faith in this show. Airing it early in the morning at first and then before Star Wars Rebels was a big mistake. :(

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

At this rate, all they need is 2-3 more marathons like this and they'll finish airing the second season.

Anyway, it looks like a Nova Corps mini-arc is coming up next. Not sure who or what "Mr. Roboto" is all about.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It does seem kind of suspicious that they're doing another big block of episodes in one day, like they're trying to just get the season over with before Assemble comes back o_O.

Although maybe if all these episodes are connected to a single, continuous, storyline they're airing them to facilitate a kind of binge-watching feel :confused:?

The episodes seem like they're all Nova focused, so I imagine this will be where we see Sam Alexander re-debut as Nova and maybe get some more insight into the branch of the Nova Corps. who were supposed to protect and watch over Warlock :ack:.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. TheLemsterPju

Torgo?

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  10. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Descriptions for next month's episodes are now available on Disney ABC Press.

Back in Black
    Knights in Black Helmets
    Nova Me, Nova You
    Mr. Roboto

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Ah, so I guess this officially confirms Sam.

I'm no fan of Sam, but I will admit that if they don't even acknowledge USM, I'll be a bit annoyed. Continuity should be important, not always tossed aside.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Huh, so I'm guessing Sam's Dad was one Warlocks' guardians, and that's why the helmet became attached to Sam :).

I wasn't expecting J'Son to come back, especially to the degree where he seems like the main villain of this arc :eek:.

Although it'll be fun to see him again and watching him square off against Peter once more, since obviously there's a lot of complicated personal feelings there and it'll be interesting to see what J'Son is like now that he's been ousted from his Empire :ack:.

I wonder if they'll use this as an opportunity to bring in his Mister Knife persona :evil:?

I'm wondering how long they're going to hold off on revealing the identity of the Patriarch and progressing the Warlock story, though given Mantis and J'Son are working together, we may actually see some progress on that front :eek:.

Pretty sure that "boom-maker" is from the Kelley Sue DeConnick Captain Marvel run, which isn't so surprising given Wacker's involvement, though I wonder if her lover from the comics will pop as well :anime:?
    The description makes it sound like we're getting a version of Sam that's closer to the comics, right down to hunting for his Dad, so I'm willing to forgive a possible reboot if it means we get a more comic-accurate, and likeable, version of Sam ;).

Not to mention Guardians has been busting up whatever semblance of continuity the cartoons have had since the very first episode :sweat:.

Although I do wonder if they'll recast the role, since that usually tends to follow when Marvel Animation reboots a character. I can see them possibly keeping Logan Miller to retain some fidelity to the USM take on Sam, but I also wouldn't be surprised if he gets a new VA o_O.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

Funny if they would be introducing Sam's dad right after his book got canceled which never gave closure on what happened to him.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. General Mike

General Mike Member

Well they can always be different timelines in the same universe, but I still remember that first GOTG appearance on USM.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Ah, back when the Guardians more closely resembled their DnA incarnations and Rocket's voice actor kept changing every appearance :p.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. TheLemsterPju

I guess that could explain this lol
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

("These animated continuities are so confusing.")

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #36 TheLemsterPju, Jun 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
  17. ChessKing

ChessKing Active Member

I wonder if Logan Miller will return to voice Sam Alexander as he voiced him in Ultimate Spider-Man.

What do you think??

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think it depends on a lot of things, like whether they want any fidelity to the version from USM or if they want to basically reboot the character as they have in the past o_O.

Although I'm leaning towards the latter happening, personally...

• Like Like x 1
  19. Capt.Traphouse

Capt.Traphouse Sexiest Thing Since Sex

Does GOTG as a franchise suffer from a lack of villains? They seem to be reusing the same characters...a lot.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. General Mike

General Mike Member

I didn't read a lot of comic books growing up, so I'm not the person to ask, but I don't think I could name any of their villains compared to groups like the Avengers, X-Men or Fantastic 4.

Edit: Looking at Wikipedia, it looks like a lot of their adversaries, are groups controlled by Fox for movies, so I could see why they aren't used.