1. We're giving away Twin Saga MMO Starter Packs! Get your free key here: Twin Saga Starter Pack Giveaway
  2. Episode 13 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-13/

We discuss The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, the Nintendo Switch, 20 years of Toonami, Toonami’s first era on Cartoon Network, the Adult Swim era, and what we’d like to see from Toonami in the future.

Dismiss Notice

"Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy (Animated)" News & Discussion Thread, Part 2 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Sep 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

(Cough)Synergy(Cough) :rolleyes2:.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Choppasmith

Choppasmith Member

I thought it was more or less confirmed that Season 3 of Avengers was a soft reboot and that newer Marvel stuff was in a different continuity to the old stuff.

Old "Loeb" continuity:
    USM, Agents of Smash, Assemble Seasons One and Two

New "Wacker" continuity:
    Guardians, Avengers Season 3 and onward, upcoming Spiderman

3. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Season 3 wasn't really that much of a soft reboot for Assemble though, and the new Spider-Man cartoon is supposedly a completely separate continuity from the other shows.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. brodie999

brodie999 Active Member

Yeah, Black Widow mentioned the events of S1 and S2 when they fought Red Skull and Thanos so Yeah, The Wacker and Loeb continuities are in the same universe even though characters are getting soft rebooted to look more like their MCU counterparts.

5. Greg91

Greg91 Member

It will be interesting to hear Nolan North as the High Evolutionary and Mick Wingert as Iron Man outside of the Lego specials.

The shows are all in the same universe save for Marvel's Spider-Man. They are just very loose and easygoing with the continuity.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Marvel/DCfan

Marvel/DCfan Member

I love that triple combo between Captain Marvel, Hulk and Iron Man. This looks very entertaining and High Evolutionary looks alot more cooler than he did in Agents of Smash.

• Like Like x 1
  7. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

• Informative Informative x 2
  8. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Ordinarily I'd assume this would be a "Girls Night Out" episode, but given Gamora is still the sole female member of the team I'm not sure if that's doable :sweat:.

Of course they could make it work with Gamora and few of the other female characters who've been introduced over the course of the series (Nebula, Mantis, Victoria, Angela, etc.) ;).

It would actually show how far Marvel Animation has come if we could get an episode of one of the current shows dedicated mainly to the ladies kicking butt and getting into hi-jinks :D.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It's weird but Zap2It is currently showing 5 new episodes scheduled to air on April 15th.

S02, E06 Rock Your Baby 4/15/2017
    S02, E07 Black Helmet Woman 4/15/2017
    S02, E08 Right Place, Wrong Time 4/15/2017
    S02, E09 Me and You and a Dog Named Cosmo 4/15/2017
    S02, E10 Can't Get You out of My Head 4/15/2017

• Informative Informative x 3
  10. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Maybe it's because I wouldn't put it past a Marvel cartoon to do something for synergy, but I can't help but think we'll see Baby Groot in "Rock Your Baby" :sweat:.

"Black Helmet Woman" is probably the episode where Gamora gets the Nova helmet, as shown in the commercials advertising season 2 :cool:.

"Right Place, Wrong Time." A Die Hard tribute? The Guardians getting into trouble with the Nova Corps. for the umpteenth time :p?

Oooh! A Cosmo focused episode :D.

"Can't Get You out of My Head..." A Mantis episode, referencing her telepathy? Or maybe even Warlock o_O?

• Like Like x 2
  11. Marvel/DCfan

Marvel/DCfan Member

I agree because I been trying to figure out what females will appear because we know they don't like to show that many new characters. But I was hoping that episode might consist of Gamora, Nebula, and Angela, Mantis is still locked away so maybe phyla vell may appear and Captain Marvel might even fly up to help. They did say Angela will return also so I'd love to see those ladies team-up but I know that's asking too much.

• Like Like x 2
  12. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

"Girls Night Out" might mean getting Mantis out of prison... :p

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It would be nice if the Guardians finally remembered Mantis and helped break her out of prison :sweat:.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. brodie999

brodie999 Active Member

It's pretty weird that they've got 5 new episodes on the same day. I hope they keep it that way or change the air dates to stick to airing 1 to 2 episodes a week.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Capt.Traphouse

Capt.Traphouse Sexiest Thing Since Sex

Five part episode JL style?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Greg91

Greg91 Member

Marvel.com has an interesting interview with Cort Lane and Stephen Wacker explaining the shorts and some of the two-parter premiere as well as the moment at the end. Some really cool details are revealing including more Thor, the Nova Corps and Cosmo as well as a big story-arc which I don't want to give away. If you want to know what it is without reading the interview,

Key cosmic characters, exploration instead of season one's scavenger hunt and Adam Warlock "Himself" :p will be major aspects of this season. Additionally, this cool poster was shown off. With Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, All-New Guardians of the Galaxy (comic), Guardians of the Galaxy - The Telltale Series game and season two of the show, Guardians fans have a lot of content to enjoy!

My excitement is back even if the season premiere left me a bit underwhelmed. The exploration stories with the Guardians in space have always been more interesting to me in this show, so I'm glad they're leaving Earth and taking on new challenges.

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 3
  17. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Sounds pretty good to me. I liked the way they handled Thor last season so I would like to see more of that. I am curious to see what the Nova Corps will do here - Sam was far from being my favorite character on USM so hopefully he will be more entertaining on this show. Same with the symbiotes, I didn't care too much for the 1st Season episode which introduced them so I'm not too excited for an entire story-line about them, but we'll see how it plays out. Plus, HIM, the Black Order, Quill's sister, Tana Nile and Cosmo should be fun. I like how they mention this will be more of an exploration of the Marvel Universe.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

Most of this sounds pretty good. Looking forward to the Adam Warlock story.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I love how they just come out and say they brought in Scott Lang being a former criminal after writing this after the Ant-Man movie came out, which explains why it seemed to come out-of-nowhere for this version of the character :p.

I wonder if Guardians is really more comedic then Assemble generally is. I would say their about on par in terms of a balance of silliness and serious stakes, though Guardians maybe handles incorporating their humor more naturally and impactfully, in my opinion. Maybe Guardians is a little more irreverent by comparison, like the movies, but I don't think it's that much of a contrast between the cartoons :shrug:.

It's weird going from the original Guardians 3000 and the DnA Guardians, who were generally a pretty efficient and effective group on par with The Avengers, to the group being considered possibly the worst Superhero team ever. Not that it doesn't fit in with the whole "ragtag bunch of misfits" take the movies went with, but it's certainly a very jarring change for the group o_O.

I'm grateful that Marty Isenberg pushed to use the High-Evolutionary. He was definitely one of the highlights of the two-parter, and I hope we get to see him again (and maybe even the Knights of Wundagore) :evil:.

I'm hoping things pick up with the series once we really get into Adam Warlock. He's probably one of the things I'm most excited about this season, so I really hope they're able to do him and his story justice :ack:.

I'd be lying if I said I'm looking forward to the Sam Alexander Nova showing up this season and playing a big role. If any of the Nova's was going to play a prominent role in the series, I was hoping it would be Richard Rider given his relationship and connection to the team in the comics. I guess I'll just hope that the show completely revamps him as a character, maybe even with a new voice actor, so we can start fresh from the USM incarnation ;).

I'm not even going to touch on all the continuity issues Sam's presence will probably make :sweat:.

Looking forward to more of the Black Order and Cosmo :D.

I'll be interested to see how they handle Tana Nile. Maybe that's when Thor comes back :)?

It's kind of weird to think we're getting a Symbiote War storyline in a non-Spider-Man cartoon. I mean, I get that that the Symbiotes are alien entities, so it makes sense for them to show up here, but I'm not sure how much investment we can get with them as antagonists without any of the named Symbiotes like Venom or Carnage. Though it sounds like it'll involve Groot's homeworld and his character arc, so there'll probably be something meaningful there :cool:.

And of course they end on the "a little bit good, a little bit bad..." line :rolleyes2:.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Greg91

Greg91 Member

It fits with the show, but I'm not really into the buffoonish Guardians. I really like what James Gunn did with the 2014 movie, but part of me wishes he stuck to the source material a little more because now every version of the Guardians is pretty goofy instead of the more serious team that formed after the massive threat of Annihilus.
    I wouldn't be surprised if he's treated like Vision or a similar manner but with a more mythical or 'magical' view point. Not a savior character, but a divine being or something.
    I understand you don't like Sam, but what would be the point of recasting the character? Either way, I didn't care for Sam either in Ultimate Spider-Man's early episodes, but he really improved by the fourth season. If he's improved and written better, what's the point of still complaining about him?

As for Sam breaking continuity, it's already been broke and if this is a prequel show, it would make sense if Sam was still with the Nova Corps. It would be interested to see a younger Sam (I'm guessing) interact with this take on the Guardians.

• Like Like x 2
    #440 Greg91, Mar 13, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.