1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy (Animated)" News & Discussion Thread, Part 1 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by King_of_doom, Jan 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

Hey bigdaddy, no one is ignoring you. But you shouldn't always post stuff on a forum expecting you to get tons of attention and comments. It's very off-putting when you do that.

2. spyke

spyke Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting that link. The article basically confirms what we already knew, which is that this show was designed from the jump to be based more off the movie versions of these characters rather than the comic book versions.

3. bigdaddy313

bigdaddy313 Well-Known Member

Off-putting? I was only kidding dude hence d LOL.

I am just surprised no one is talking about the story elements like toned down but not cut out sex jokes, Intricate (complicated/detailed) plot and one of the main plot of Peter Quill searching for where he comes from and where it's going.

4. TheVileOne

Reporter

No one expects there to be sex jokes in this type of show, and it's not really important to the material. It's not really worth talking about.

We already know where Peter Quill comes from, we just don't know his paternal parentage in the movie and series, and there isn't much to go on yet.

5. bigdaddy313

The main change is the phase 2 approach back to multi story arcs and the Peter quill story coincides with past discussions so I brought it back up. You don't want to talk about it that's kool.

And the sex jokes topic from the article was mostly about relationships stories are back which is something that has been missing except the HAOS episode of the Inhumans.

More subtly mature materials is awesome.

• Like Like x 1
  6. TheVileOne

Reporter

Multi-episode story arcs have been going on in these shows for years whether haters are willing to admit it or not.

Sexual jokes and romantic relationships in an animated series are two different things. Doesn't look like this show will have either. I doubt we should expect Gamora and Star-Lord to go on a doubt, or Gamora to have an affair with Nova.

7. bigdaddy313

Me and you obviously watched different things so just forget about it. I will talk to others about it don't worry.

Moving on.

Actually before moving on here is what I am saying, they are going to make references to past relationships mixed with comedy as the film did, but it is not going to be as adult hense the cutting down of sex jokes.

They are not only writing to 7 to 11 year olds but also as far as the movie audience aka us.

Relationship stories will exist in the show whether it's in the past or present, no matter how small, it's there.

They main thing is we are back to AEMHS level from everything we have seen.

Those that make more sense?

#467 bigdaddy313, Sep 12, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
  8. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

Looks like Guardians of the Galaxy is unofficially Phase 2 of Marvel Animation. http://www.superherohype.com/featur...nimated-series-is-marvel-animations-phase-two

I'm guessing USM s1-3, AA s1-2, and Hulk s1-2 are Phase 1.

Other details include off-limit characters like Fox characters. Sorry Galactus and Silver Surfer fans. Crossovers are coming up, and other comic Guardians should appear.

• Like Like x 2
    #468 Greg91, Sep 14, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  9. Dsneybuf

Dsneybuf Well-Known Member

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

Shaun of the Dead made that my favorite Queen song. Nice to see it included. I don't think I know all of these automatically (at least not by name) so I think I'll wait until I hear the ones I don't know in show. If they work, it will be great to be introduced to a good song during a good scene. The movie did such a superb job with music: introducing me to songs I didn't know, making great use of songs I liked and making great use of songs I didn't already like. It's nice to see that they're at least trying to emulate that feel.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I don't think I'll really miss Galactus from this show. Too bad about Silver Surfer, though. Cross-overs were inevitable, I guess. Hopefully those will be fun. Looking forward to seeing other Guardians appear as the show progresses.

I'm a little disappointed the soundtrack for the season has been revealed already. (Glad to see Queen in there, though!) I think it would have been fun if some songs were kept as a surprise. This also kind of makes a thread I'm planning on posting next week kind of redundant. :p

• Like Like x 1
  13. Capt.Traphouse

Capt.Traphouse Sexiest Thing Since Sex

Oooh, Shake your Groove Thang. Good choice, now all we need is some Earth, Wind and Fire.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Though, to be fair, going by the first episode it already seems like they're implementing stuff from the comics that weren't in the movie. Like Peter being half-Spartax, since I'm pretty sure Gunn confirmed that's not the case for MCU Star-Lord since he's outright said Quill's father isn't J'Son.

We also have Rocket and Cosmo's relationship, plus Cosmo's position on Knowhere as head of security which is completely lifted from the DnA comics :).

Heck, Gamora even seems to have more of her comic personality in that she's a lot more prideful then MCU Gamora was :eek:.
    Intricate serial storytelling? 80's references? And...(gasp) actual acknowledgement of romantic relationships! Now I'm excited :D.
    Thought as much. So basically:

Phase 1 = Loeb

Phase 2 = Wacker

For want of a better description for the biggest difference between the two Phases ;).

Well, it's not so much the characters actually being off-limits, since the animation rights and movie rights are different, moreso that it's self-imposed by Marvel Animation that they can't use characters whose franchises' movie rights are owned by other companies. Not to mention they've already used Galactus and Surfer in the cartoons :rolleyes:.

Not that I'm excited for Galactus to make a reappearance all things considered, since his MAU incarnation is fairly watered down in my opinion, but definitely disappointed about Surfer :(.

Interesting that Vanessa Marshall seemed to be the only VA willing to channel more from her movie counterpart, particularly because MAU Gamora is set up to be more of an amalgamation of MCU and comic Gamora then Zoe Saldana's portrayal was.

I wouldn't say the Badoon are "the most boring" of Marvel's alien races, particularly when they can be very deadly threats, and they've got a big connection to the Guardians' history to boot :cool:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. spyke

spyke Well-Known Member

That's just Wacker's usual [removed] spin. The real reason that they aren't using the Badoon is because the film rights for the Badoon belong with FOX. I should also point out that both the film and animated versions of the Chitauri looked and acted just like the Badoon. So yeah, Wacker is [removed] basically towing the corporate line.

#475 spyke, Sep 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  16. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

There's nothing I "love" more than self inflicted embargoes. It's like the Bat embargo multiplied.

Every time I want to be hopeful about Marvel Animation, there's something like that which makes me wonder why I e e. still care.

17. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, I remembered that too because Gunn confirmed he couldn't use them for the movie because of the rights issue. It's a comment on par with claiming Galactus and Silver Surfer are off-limits because of the Fox rights, even though they actually already have been used by now :rolleyes:.

I guess one thing we can assume about Phase 2 is that even the big guns of the X-Men and FF (Wolverine, Doom, Galactus, etc.) won't be used now. Now it's even more surprising that Kang is showing up at all o_O.

I wonder if we'll see the Chitauri pop up at all...I doubt they'd touch on Korvac being in charge of them, which I recall being the case in USM, but it's not like Thanos or Korath needs foot-soldiers when they have plenty already and there's no need to make an Avengers reference anymore :p.

Though they likely have a better chance of showing up then the Skrulls do, and they could even serve as Skrull stand-ins if the plot needed them to.

Or the movie embargo's that really effected Arrow season 3. Even when comic companies actually own all the rights they still do the craziest stuff :confused:.

• Agree Agree x 2
    #477 Frontier, Sep 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  18. Capt.Traphouse

Capt.Traphouse Sexiest Thing Since Sex

I don't mind embargos since they can lead to Marvel and DC digging deep for new villains and heroes that they can make awesome on screen. I love it when they dig deep into their character backlog, find some random dude from 60's, 70's or 80's, modernize the character and then put them in the show.

I'm so excited for this show, Cosmic Marvel always excited me but was too much of a mess for me to ever get really into it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. bigdaddy313

Me and you are on the same level Bro, I love Cosmic stuff too in Marvel, and it's good that our complaints got to Marvel to up their game in the story tone department for us to truly enjoy the show.

20. bigdaddy313

Vanessa Marshall video interview

• Like Like x 1
    #480 bigdaddy313, Sep 22, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.