"Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy (Animated)" News & Discussion Thread, Part 1 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by King_of_doom, Jan 3, 2014.

1. King_of_doom

King_of_doom kiva fan

Looks like Marvel Animation does have plans for a cartoon series based on Guardians of the Galaxy

SCOOP: Marvel Planning A GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY Animated Series

You might say i'm happy like most of you guys but with the 3 current cartoons Marvel Animation have along with Jeph Loeb still in charge i'm a bit skeptical with this news. Seems like USM 3rd Season might be the last season since they are hinting that it was either a GotG cartoon or a new Spider-Man cartoon.

2. Kumori MC

Kumori MC Member

Hmm...

You know, this got me thinking...now that Filoni, Kinberg and Weisman are working on a new Star Wars animated show, what's to prevent Disney higher-ups to have them (again) working for Marvel and writing/producing/whatevering their own lines of animated shows?

They definitely have the talent, and they'll definitely get paid. And I don't think that there would be any legal or contractual trouble regarding their employment. And I highly doubt that they would refuse even if there's the risk of overworking oneself, even more so if they're fans of the Marvel hero pantheon, which they are.

Thoughts?

3. King_of_doom

King_of_doom kiva fan

Would be great having them work on the show but we have to wait till we get more info on the show and who's going to be involve and how are they going to do the design of the main characters

4. PapaGreg

PapaGreg Came for the ribs

If Loeb doesn't touch his "hammering the movie franchies to the audience like how Negan bludgeons his victims hands" then I do have a miniscule of hope for the series

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2014
  5. TheSkeletonMan93

TheSkeletonMan93 New Member

If Loeb/Man of Action has anything to do with this, I'm not even going to try to be interested.

For this they really need to bring in someone who actually cares about making a good TV show instead of trying to make a quick buck.

6. Greg91

Greg91 Member

With Marvel's current track record, I can't say I'm too excited for this, but I would still give it a try. Sadly, the animation will probably be similar to Avengers Assemble and Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H. rather than Ultimate Spider-Man. Also, if this show is officially coming, I do have to ask, is anyone else surprised up to 2014, there has still been no Thor or Captain America animated series? I know a Thor show was planned for 2010. I also know, apparently, a Cap show was in the works in the 90's, but still. Thor could have so much potential with the Nine Realms. Anyways, maybe for now, no Thor or Captain America show is a good thing, until Marvel works on the overall quality of their shows.

7. Gold Guy

Gold Guy This ain't Pokemon!

I'm not sure if I should be hyped or not, and that's just sad. I should be hyped, but with Marvel's bleh quality, I'm not.

With that said, if this is pulled off right, this could be Marvel's best show since EMH.

8. The Talon

The Talon New Member

This could have a full-scale adaptation of the Annihilation storyline & I still wouldn't be hyped for this. I've been burned one too many times by Loeb & MOA.

9. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Trickin' N Treatin'

I've never particularly cared that much for the GOTG. I hope they do a good job with the movie and all (Marvel Studios hasn't really let me down yet) but when it comes to Marvel stuff I care about, this property's always been on a lower rung of the ladder for me. After also considering the general quality of Marvel animation, post buyout, there's not much about this rumor that could get me excited or hopeful right now.

10. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi

Disney and Marvel actually support their animated shows unlike some other companies, so this would be a great idea. The Marvel Universe has overall been a resounding success. With all the cosmic characters in the Marvel Universe, a Guardians of the Galaxy show has tons of great possibilities such as Nova, Galactus, Silver Surfer, the Kree, Adam Warlock, the Skrulls, Thanos, etc.

The thing is, Guardians is due out in seven months. So it would be better to get a show to coincide with the movie. Plus if its the Guardians who appeared in Ultimate Spider-Man, even better. Perhaps we can see Howard the Duck's home planet and find how he was transplanted to the SHIELD lab on Earth.

11. macattack

macattack I see you!

If this is another Loeb/MOA hackjob I'm not even going to bother tuning in to this one. I'll just watch the movie and be done with it.

12. reflection

reflection Active Member

Even more evidence that Marvel is synching up the movie and animation properties. It's going to be a long time until we see another X-Men animated series.

13. firefoxprime

firefoxprime 90s = Golden Years

Maybe its just me, but all this waiting is so lame. I remember waiting for series to air etc back in the day and now....but -sigh-

What I'm tryin to say is that the production of these series feel like "forever". Its 2014. How long till we get a new superman show, or a new Spiderman? 2 years? 3 years? X-men? Oh geez. Almost halfway through the '10s and I'm not very impressed with the current slate of action fare. Started with a bang in 2010/2011, but much much left to be desired. Its like we just shifted back into first gear dude :( there's no hype...

No offense to the 70s/80s ppl(30+), but I don't wanna wait 7+ years till the tide shifts back into action focus. Hmph.

14. suss2it

suss2it New Member

This could be awesome if true. Steve Wacker (one of Marvel's best editors [he edited, the current Daredevil, Hawkeye and Spider-Man books among others]) recently left Marvel comics to join the animation division so maybe his influence will finally bring about better quality in these cartoons.
    So what? The X-Men have had 4 cartoons already. Its about time other Marvel franchises got a shot.

15. Medinnus

Medinnus Moderator

I'll judge the series when released; honestly, I'm not concerned with it, since the GotG of the film and the cartoon is not likely to be anything resembling the two GotG versions to which I feel an affinity. For those concerned with Loeb (et al) - time changes all things.

16. W.C.Reaf

W.C.Reaf Active Member

I expect Nova will be a part of this team, that any female team members will barely get any spotlight time compared to the men (it's a boy's show after all), and that it'll be a very blandly written series.

Now why this is getting a series over Thor and Cap is because they are in the Avengers cartoon, they don't need a full series to themselves because the brand has already been secured for them to make all the toys and merchandise they want from them. Guardians aren't in the Avengers show; they're separate, just like the film is the biggest risk Marvel's done so far because it doesn't have that much brand recognition. They're using the movie recognition to bolster up their cartoons and that'll in turn keep the movies in the general consciousness because of the shows and merch for them.

How's that support going for Hulk Agents of SMASH? I see a lot of stuff for USM and AA but don't notice anything for Hulk other than an occasional ad in a Marvel comic.

17. Stu

Stu Marvel Animation Age Webmaster

I imagine the green light will depend on how well the mice merchandise does. Marvel and Hasbro buy the space on the toy shelf for GOTG and will replace the movie series with that of the animated series. If the movie line fails, the animated series will do (see Green Lantern).

Hulk and The Agents of S.M.A.S.H seems to be the odd one out. With no merchandise behind it, I imagine we won't be getting a second series. Half of the battle will no doubt be because Hulk is featured in The Avengers merchandise, his own show merch is not a necessity. This is probably why we have no Captain America and Thor cartoons in production.

I will miss the Hulk show, if it doesn't last a second season. I think it's the strongest of the three current shows.

18. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi

Compared to Beware the Batman which Cartoon Network looks like they have no interest in putting on their schedule right now...pretty good.

19. Kumori MC

Kumori MC Member

Honestly, I think that neither Thor nor Cap really NEED a solo animated show. Partly due to them already being in Avengers (animation and otherwise), partly due to the fact that, as much as fans might love them, they aren't really strong enough to carry an entire 26-episode series. Okay, so you have Thor going over the Nine Realms, facing Ragnarok, battling different threats, be they mythical, cosmic or earthly. There is only really material for barely a season. The same with Cap - flashbacks to WW2 interspersed with contemporary missions either with S.H.I.E.L.D. or against them. For one thing, they would do poorly without characters not from their respective universes (you can only do so much with eighty-years-old Howling Commandos, and let's face it, a S.H.I.E.L.D. show is not a Cap show; and how much appeal and characterization could the Warriors Three, Sif, Heimdal and Baldr actually have to today's youth?) and a show with guest-heavy material suffers (case in point, USM). And, again a point not stressed hard enough, the two respective shows can only pan out the given material over a season at best.

Now don't get me wrong, I have nothing much against the two characters (while I am not a fan of Cap, I mean no ill will towards the guy), but reality is (you are an android, I AM A MAN!) that they are better as team players than as lone wolves.

Both Iron Man and Wolvie can carry a solo series if it were done right (as can Blade, Ghost Rider, Deadpool, Moon Knight, Daredevil, etc. with proper scripts and what have you), but some heroes just cannot. Hell, I'd love an Alpha Flight show, but they work best as supporting characters and guests in other shows.

More to come soon.

20. PapaGreg

PapaGreg Came for the ribs

Comparing to any advistisments with BTB makes anything better hell NBC treated Community better than how CN treat Btb but they still treated like crap in general