1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel's Avengers Ultron Revolution "The Ultimates" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Mar 20, 2016.

?

Rate & Discuss this Avengers Ultron Revolution episode!

1. *****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Tune in for a new episode of Marvel's Avengers Ultron Revolution, today at 8:30AM ET on Disney XD! Ultron's Ultimates unleashed!

[​IMG]
    Marvel's Avengers Ultron Revolution "The Ultimates"
    Episode Debut - March 20th, 2016
    Directed by: Danielle Wolff
    Written by: Tim Eldred

Ultron is back and plans to replace humanity with robots known as Ultimates.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

#1 RoyalRubble, Mar 20, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  2. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

Not much to say, other than I liked how it touched on Sam and Steve's lives a bit, outside of them being superheroes.

I hope that we see Jocasta at some point this season. Though I fear the possibility of her being introduced as a "nothing" character and swiftly killed off like the Jocasta shell from Earth's Mightiest Heroes. :( I would much prefer her to join the Avengers and/or become a teacher for the Avengers Academy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

One of my biggest issues with MCU Ultron is that, in-spite of having an entertaining personality and charming voice courtesy of Joss Whedon and James Spader, he just wasn't intimidating as a direct antagonist. So as much as I was disappointed they went with the MCU look for Ultron's new design, as I far prefer his comic look and thinks it works better in animation, I'm glad that so far he's being shown as much more of a threat to The Avengers then his movie counterpart. While he was effective before, in his new body he was able to take pretty much everything The Avengers threw at him and shrug it off, and would've gotten away if it weren't for a last ditch plan from Iron Man :eek:.

The only issue I have, aside from the design, is Jim Meskimen's performance. I think he does a decent job, though a part of me thinks he's hampered in trying to mimic James Spader to a certain extent, but he just doesn't exude the menace and coldness that Tom Kane's Ultron had :sad:.

Jeez, lot of tension with the team at the beginning there. It's almost like Tony and Black Widow haven't learned their lesson from season 2, with Tony obsessing over Ultron again and leaving the team out of it while Widow still has her trust issues. At least Tony came around to admitting he's imperfect, even if he had to be a little arrogant about it, which is a step-up from the premier :ack:.

What is Tony doing with an Iron Patriot Armor in the Hall of Armor? Shouldn't Osborn sue :sweat:?

Wow, we actually got to see The Avengers on their downtime for the first time in, like, ever! Seeing Sam at college (and studying architecture or engineering?) was neat, and more then we've seen Peter doing since he apparently graduated from Midtown high in USM, and it figures given his (inexplicable) age and that he's no longer at SHIELD that he'd continue his education at a university :).

Also nice to see Steve out and about and looking through his old haunts In Brooklyn, though it was kinda weird to see him wearing his Cap helmet and shield so out in the open. Nice Ed Brubacker reference though ;).

Widow hunting down street-thugs in her downtime was a little weird. I mean, dealing with street crime is something I could see The Avengers doing, but Widow has always seemed a little above that. Did she just not have any government or spy jobs waiting for her o_O?

I wonder what Thor and Hulk were doing during their time off?

Of course Hawkeye would just stay and lounge around at the Tower, even if it did pay off for Tony. Lazy bum, that Hawkeye, when it comes to training or doing something outside the team :p.

The "Ultimates" were interesting antagonists, even if I was hoping they would have more design differences between them and the original Avengers instead of being just grey, robotic, recolors, and they led to some nice action sequences as the team overcame each of their doppelgangers with some human ingenuity and teamwork. And that amalgam of Iron Man Armors was really cool :cool:.

Y'know, it was nice to see the team come together and the end and Tony admitting they'er all friends and strong when they work together. Too bad Civil War is going to mess all that up :(.

Hawkeye screw-up counter: Fire an EMP arrow at Ultron without telling the team, which doesn't stop him and leaves most of the team's equipment non-functional. Also damages Tony's training equipment.

• Like Like x 2
  4. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

The fight animation was once again better. I liked the ways they took down their counterparts.

The brief glimpses into the Avengers personal lives were probably 100 percent more effective than all the video game and pizza/cookie fights from season 1.

I liked the brief nods to Cap struggling with fitting in with the modern world. It was an aspect completely missing from the first two seasons.

The tension between Natasha and Tony was a nice touch. I guess we know somebody who won't be on Team Iron Man come the finale.

If I had a major gripe, it's that it seemed weird that nobody mentioned Arsenal. The guy was an Avenger and sacrificed his life to stop Ultron last time, but doesn't even rate a mention when it's revealed Ultron survied?

• Like Like x 2
    #4 RoryWilliams, Mar 20, 2016
  5. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think it's come up before, in a line or two here and there, and I think that aspect played a part in how much Steve and Tony have disagreed throughout seasons 1-2 when it came to their differing perspectives, though I think this probably the most it's been at the forefront in a scene :).

As far as Widow's allegiance, I think it'll depend on the issue that causes the Civil War divide, and not who Natahsa prefers when it comes to Steve and Tony.

I think, given what we've seen here and how they've interacted in the past (especially in season 2), Natasha probably prefers Cap and doesn't put a lot of faith in Tony, but if he's on a side she supports she would probably join up with him like in the movie. Definitely so if it's aligned with the government/SHIELD :eek:

Dude, Tony was the only one on the team who actually gave a darn about Arsenal once Ultron took over his body. While all the other Avengers were for destroying Ultron before the situation escalated or just simply put their faith in whatever Tony decided to do, Tony was the only one concerned with saving Arsenal :(.

I think they're not mentioning Arsenal because the creators think some kids might be under the impression that Ultron's coming back from his death in Age of Ultron, not what happened in season 2, so they're not going to bring too much attention to what happened during the Ultron arc. Hence that comment from Wacker that Ultron Revolution takes place "some time after the movie," or something to that effect .

And there's the comment from Tony about being responsible for Ultron, which is vague enough that it could refer to what happened with Arsenal or Tony actually creating Ultron in AoU.

• Agree Agree x 1
    #5 Frontier, Mar 20, 2016
  6. TheLemsterPju

Arsenal is dead. Gone. Forever. Even the Infinite Digital Comic at Marvelkids.com (which you SHOULD be reading :p) dwells on this. Tony and the team to a lesser extent have pretty much accepted that there is no hope of Arsenal coming back. Tony had his one chance of making up for the lost time he never spent with his father, and it was very short-lived. After screwing over the team after he obsessed about getting Arsenal back, only for the robot to die again, he moved on. The lesson is that some things don't turn out the way you want it to, and you can't change that once it happens. That's life.

Of course Tony is still upset over it. Right now he's more intent and focused on making sure Ultron is destroyed so his friend's memory and sacrifice won't be in vain. In his mind, there's no reason to dig up that old topic because the Avengers themselves have already moved on as well. It's subtle. More subtle than most people give the show credit for.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I just hope the team treats Vision better then they treated Arsenal :sweat:.

If Viz gets hacked or taken control over, I hope The Avengers aren't all "he's a threat, let's destroy him," rather then reaching out to him and doing everything they can to save him, though even if they act in the latter manner, that's still fairly hypocritical in light of how they completely gave up on Arsenal (aside from Tony) once Ultron took over his body :mad:.

8. superspidey2257

superspidey2257 Your Friendly Neighbourhood Forum User

Didnt EMH previously do an episode with the same plot as this episode?

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. TheLemsterPju

There again, the rest of the Avengers aside from Tony didn't know Arsenal well enough or even bothered to invest the time to get involved between Tony and his friend. As sad as this sounds, it was just another soulless robot to them. Just another "toy" for Tony to play with and not a major concern.

One of Thor's lines in the Infinite Comic is very subtly implied that they only "cared" about him because he was a friend of Tony and technically a teammate. This is also a very real and sad situation.

10. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Granted, they also didn't have much time to get to know him given how short his tenure was, but he still saved them from Thanos, twice, and even Hawkeye acknowledged he was a true Avenger after he first saved the team. They wouldn't have been able to stop Thanos without him.

He was still regarded as a member of the team by the time he was taken over by Ultron, and that should've meant something.

11. RoryWilliams

Or the writers just couldn't be arsed to mention it.:p

Joking aside, it was a minor quibble, just one I found noticeable.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. dmxx116

dmxx116 Well-Known Member

Yes and EMH did it better then this mediocre show.

• Agree Agree x 4
    #12 dmxx116, Mar 21, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  13. Dustellar

Dustellar Active Member

It's sad that a series is not even consistent with previous seasons only for synergy... RIP Arsenal (season 2 - season 2) you will NOT be remembered, at least not by the writers of the series xD

14. spyke

spyke Well-Known Member

Repeat,rinse,and repeat again, that's the Quesada/Loeb run Marvel Animation way of doing things. Marvel Animation is currently the modern day version of Filmation.

I look forward to the day when the people who worked on these series tell the story of how they were creatively restricted due to synergy and incompetent bosses who think kids are dumb and that a show looks cool with washed out colors and bad CGI.

• Agree Agree x 3
    #14 spyke, Mar 21, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  15. RoryWilliams

Eh. I never liked the EMH version of that episode (nor that entire last run) so it wasn't a big deal to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, at least it wasn't an exact repeat or retread. I mean, cartoons reusing plots has been a thing since forever ;).

Well, I don't think anyone on these shows is trying to make a bad show or assume kids are "dumb." It's not like they haven't been honest that they're aiming at a younger audience, ones who've had a lot of experience with the movies, for better or worse. And compared to their first seasons, I think the current cartoons insult its audiences intelligence a lot less.

I think at this point we just have to begrudgingly accept how big on synergy between their brands Marvel is, and how much influence the movies are going to have. Better to judge the cartoon on its own merits in spite of that, from writing, characterization, voice acting, and how they actually handle said synergy, then to just complain about something that's a little out of their hands as much as it annoys us sometimes.

Though I'm a little less forgiving on the rights issue front, especially because it means we get every other movie Avenger except Scarlet Witch on the show :(.

And, frankly, compared to the early seasons of Assemble, I feel like the synergy isn't as in your face or constant, which is a positive. Same with Guardians. Granted, we have Ultron based off his movie design and a few movie costumes, but that's about it. Heck, I think we've gone two episodes without a Thor Punch. That's a record :p.

I'll be honest, aside from the Spider-jet in USM and the Milano, I can't think of too much bad CG in the cartoons at the moment :sweat:.

• Like Like x 1
  17. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Pretty good episode. The fight with Ultron at the beginning was cool, it was a neat way to re-introduce the villain and show what he's capable of. Iron Man feeling responsible for Ultron and wanting to put an end to him once and for all was handled pretty well. Obviously he can't really do it alone and it shouldn't be achieved in only one episode, but this little adventure was good enough.

The scenes with the Avengers on their own were probably the highlight of this episode for me. Especially Captain America. Him visiting his old neighborhood was a nice touch. It was brief but effective. The same goes for Falcon studying, to a lesser extent. I did like how his studies about engineering helped out in the fight against the Ultimates. Black Widow's scene was cool, no doubt about it, but just didn't have the same impact as the others'.

The Ultimates were pretty cool. I didn't really care for their designs, but they worked as decent adversaries for this story. I admit this episode felt very reminiscent of "Ultron Unlimited", from Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes but I thought this episode went in a slightly different direction and was still a pretty enjoyable adventure. The fight choreography was again good, which helped a lot. All in all, a pretty good episode even if the premise is a bit cliche at this point.

Apparently, Thor was off getting drunk. :p

From Eugene Son's Twitter account.

• Like Like x 1
    #17 RoyalRubble, Mar 22, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  18. spyke

spyke Well-Known Member

Yes, but the Loeb/Quesada run Marvel animation keep reusing the same plots with the same characters multiple times within a very short span of time.

That's exactly what I've been doing. And yes, AA has improved, but it is still lacking.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Of course he was :p.

Though they probably could have gotten away with using mead...
    I can see your point, but at least under Wacker I don't expect we'll get as many episodes of Steve and Tony arguing over something only for Steve to end up being right as we did in season 1. Even in a season that's likely going to end with Steve vs. Tony for Civil War :sweat:.

20. spyke

spyke Well-Known Member

I hope you're right. With Wacker, it could go either way depending on how much say he has in the matter.

• Agree Agree x 1