1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel's Avengers Ultron Revolution "The Thunderbolts" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Apr 10, 2016.

?

Rate & Discuss this Avengers Ultron Revolution episode!

1. *****

100.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Tune in for a new episode of Marvel's Avengers Ultron Revolution, today at 8:30AM ET on Disney XD! The Thunderbolts have arrived!

[​IMG]
    Marvel's Avengers Ultron Revolution "The Thunderbolts"
    Episode Debut - April 10th, 2016
    Directed by: Phil Pignotti
    Written by: Mark Hoffmeier

The Avengers fight to stop Justin Hammer’s new weapons factories, but are both helped and hindered by a mysterious new team of heroes called the Thunderbolts.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

2. Capt.Traphouse

Capt.Traphouse Sexiest Thing Since Sex

First episode where I'm like "meh". Good action but the episode seemed to move a little fast and once again Hammer wasn't threatening. I mean it's a bit of filler for next week's episode but still.

Tony Stark forgetting lessons about not going it alone. Again.

Surprised no one thought the Thunderbolts have the Masters of Evil's powers was interesting.

Hulk not having to prove himself was funny. The dialogue is much more human this season.

• Like Like x 3
  3. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Pretty good episode. I liked that some time has passed since the Masters of Evil attacked Avengers Tower and until the Thunderbolts appeared. Still, it was kind of odd only Iron Man felt something was dubious about this new team of heroes. The inclusion of Justin Hammer didn't really make the episode better since I never really cared for the way he has been portrayed on this show.

The action scenes were pretty great, splitting the teams so that various characters can interact with each other better was the most logical way to have a dozen characters in the same episode and give them enough screen-time. I liked the Thunderbolts though they could have been fleshed out some more. It all felt pretty rushed through, but it was decent I guess.

All in all, not a bad episode but mostly a set-up for the next few events.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

Again, it's better than most episodes, and Tony for one seems more resolute with his intentions, but really, the avengers couldn't deduce they might be the masters of evil?

Well okay, maybe in story it would be jumping to conclusions for the characters.

However, from a meta perspective, did the crew really think the audience couldn't put two and two together from the start of the episode, and Songbird's accent was a major dead give away.

• Like Like x 3
  5. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I don't know if the Thunderbolt's assistant Gabby Talbott was supposed to be someone from the comics. Couldn't find anything searching online. Her name reminds me of Glenn Talbot though the spelling is different. Come to think of it, I don't remember if her name was ever mentioned in the episode, yet she's listed in the credits.

Also, Mach IV was voiced by Mark Hanson. I'm kind of surprised they didn't stick with Steve Blum who provided the Beetle's few lines on Ultimate Spider-Man.

Here's the full cast list for this episode:

• Like Like x 2
  6. Capt.Traphouse

I will admit, watching Zemo lead his evil team vs a Kang robot and Hammer was fun! I love when villains fight villains, no way such a big universe like Marvel wouldn't have the interests of villains tangling up.

• Like Like x 2
  7. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I don't think the connection to Kang was kept, since they mentioned the Growing Man was modified with tech stolen from Stark.

But it would be pretty cool if it was a hinting to a future Kang story.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Capt.Traphouse

Sorry! It's a HYDRA bot! Idk why I thought Kang. Thanks.

• Like Like x 2
  9. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

In the comics, Kang was originally involved in the robot's creation. See the Marvel Wikia entry for Growing Man. Hydra came later and tried using the robot for themselves.

But I don't think all this is supposed to be true in the cartoon.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

I've waited a long time to see Thunderbolts in animation, and it's the original lineup!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

Did anyone else think Gabby Talbott (the Thunderbolts' secretary) was going to be Jolt at first?

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I feel like this episode could have come, and would have worked better, later this season rather then straight after the Under Siege episode. That way we give some time to cool off from a big Masters of Evil episode before bringing in a group of six new heroes with vaguely similar powersets and voices. I mean, in-universe apparently some time has passed, but it would be nice if the audience could feel that too :sweat:.

I also think they may have jumped into things a bit too fast with the Thunderbolts, which the quick pacing of the episode did not help one bit, and it feels like there's a lot more they could have done with the group in their introductory episode. From exploring more of them as a group and individually, how different they act compared to when they were the Masters of Evil, to seeing more of their expert use of social media, and better explain why the public was so readily accepting of them besides their "newness." Which I guess makes sense in a universe where everybody suddenly accepts and prefers a Black Suit Spider-Man just because he's not the original :confused:.

Though admittedly a part of this criticism is coming from someone who's read their original series and is a fan of the group, so I had pretty high expectations here. But obviously this season only has so many episodes and this isn't the Thunderbolts' cartoon, so I guess I can cut Assemble some slack. Still, I think there were spots where they could have improved things :ack:.

That said, I think there were still quite a few positives to the team's debut in this episode. They all looked great in animation and the visuals for their powers (particularly Songbird and Techno's) were really cool, and seeing them team-up and work with The Avengers was pretty interesting. I also liked what they were able to fit in from the original T-Bolts run. And I love that they managed to work in "Justice, like Lightning" :D.

Is that Beetle's real voice? Or is his suit helping him mask it, given it sounds nothing like his voice in USM? Though, honestly, I think this voice better fits Mach-IV and Abe better then Steve Blum's did way back in season one of USM ;).

I'm surprised Songbird still had her Wyoming accent, only with her voice less shrill compared to Screaming Mimi's, given two ladies with Wyoming accents and sonic based powers in the same universe seems like it would raise some flags...and Meteorite didn't really seem to make much of an effort to sound different from Moonstone, but at least Techno, Atlas, and Citizen V seemed to make an actual effort to differentiate from their original voices :shrug:.

Justin Hammer was...there. I mean, he's a season one villain, so I can't say there's really much he adds to the series at this point other then another character with an accent (that he did not even have in his debut episode). I guess his killer robot that could split into different pieces was...kinda cool. But I guess they just needed a villain for The Avengers and Thunderbolts to team-up against, and one who could believably have Stark Tech to throw Tony's suspicions off, and what better use for a season one baddie :p?

Tony's still got issues with his ego, need to go off on his own when he feels the need to rather then include the team, and just assume the team will have his back if need be. I don't think character development is the strong suit for the current cartoons, but you'd think Iron Man would act a little differently at this point :rolleyes:.

Hawkeye Screw-Up Counter: Huh, there actually wasn't really anything noteworthily bad about Hawkeye's depiction in this episode. Kinda ironic that I could find a few in a focus episode for him that had him depicted at the best he's been this entire series, but not here.

I think she was based off of the Thunderbolt's liason in the comics, Dallas Riordan, who was also a bespectacled redhead and actually dated Atlas. Though, while she was also unaware of the Thunderbolts' true nature as Gabby seems to be, she also didn't sell them out to Supervillains. Though I wonder if that was also orchestrated by Zemo o_O?

• Like Like x 2
  13. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I recently read the original Thunderbolts comics, so it was fun seeing them in action. Hammer's inclusion was pointless, but I suppose we needed someone for the teams to fight.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Dustellar

Dustellar Active Member

Justin Hammer is better as an old man...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

My first thought was that she was meant to be Dallas Riordan, who was Atlas' love interest and at one point became the new Citizen V. Then they named her Gabby Talbott, and I was like "What?" Not sure this character is even in the comics. She does sort of resemble Dallas with the red hair and glasses. As I recall, Dallas wasn't so much their publicist as their government liason.

Getting the classic Thunderbolts in animation was a total trip for me. The first run on the book was one of my favorite comics. It was a fresh premise.

Here it's pretty obvious that they are the Masters of Evil, and I'm surprised none of the Avengers figured it out. You see in the comics, the Thunderbolts first showed up post-Onslaught when many of the 616 heroes were believed dead. Also, the Masters of Evil were scattered to the wind and weren't all active before Citizen V reassembled them to be a team post-Onslaught.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, I thought he was decent in Armored Adventures as a crazy, evil, immature foil for Tony who was also the show's version of Titanium Man ;).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Dragnatek

Dragnatek Well-Known Member

I like him as foil to Stark but if they make him young at least have him piloting powered armor too.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Dwarf-in-a-flask

Oh. One of these episodes. And they didn't even put any effort into setting it up. They just have the mistaken identity autograph moment right there in the first five minutes.

The adventure was pretty boring, too. Lots of bombs and robots signifying nothing.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, arguably the previous episode was mainly for setting this up in a way...though yeah, when suddenly, out of nowhere, there are new heroes taking up the public's adoration and The Avengers' ire, it feels like we've missed something :sweat:.

I thought seeing the Thunderbolts' powers in action alongside The Avengers made up for how lackluster a threat Hammer was ;).

• Agree Agree x 2