1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel's Avengers Ultron Revolution "Into the Dark Dimension" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Apr 24, 2016.

?

Rate & Discuss this Avengers Ultron Revolution episode!

1. *****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ****1/2

50.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

50.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Tune in for a new episode of Marvel's Avengers Ultron Revolution, today at 8:30AM ET on Disney XD! Featuring Doctor Strange!

[​IMG]
    Marvel's Avengers Ultron Revolution "Into the Dark Dimension"
    Episode Debut - April 24th, 2016
    Directed by: Phil Pignotti
    Written by: Danielle Wolff

Dr.Strange needs the Avengers’ help when Dormammu steals the Eye of Agamotto and Iron Man must come to realize that neither science nor magic alone have all the answers.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

2. Dragnatek

Dragnatek Well-Known Member

It appears that Carol/captain Marvel is already a popular hero in this world so bring her on already.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Marble

I laughed out loud when that dragon swooped down and grabbed Dr. Strange and no one noticed.

Other than that, this was a pretty forgettable ep. with some pretty bad dialogue. The magic vs science debate felt especially forced this time around.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought this was a decent episode. I mean, as far as Dr. Strange episodes go, the plot has been done to death at this point, but at least it was still kind of fun and had some good action sequences to make up for it :).

A "Tony Stark has trouble accepting or dealing with magic" episode is almost as expected as a "Dr. Strange vs. Dormammu" episode, and I could've done without Tony being rude and dismissive to Strange throughout the episode. Even when Strange is a counterpoint to Tony on the whole "Science vs. Magic" debate, at least he's polite about it. And I think he would've noticed if a dragon had kidnapped the other Avengers :eek:.

I'm not sure how I feel about Iron Man being able to replicate Dr. Strange's magic attacks with his tech. I get the whole "magic is science we don't understand yet" shtick, but it feels like it's undermining Strange's ability and how special magic is if Tony can just replicate the effects and abilities of it with his tech. But I guess it did setup the whole scene of science and magic coming together as Strange used Tony's gauntlets to power himself up to beat Dormammu :cool:.

It felt a little weird to have 2/3 of The Avengers Trinity in this episode, only with Hulk taking Cap's place, though I guess having two bruisers for an adventure against Dormammu and his legion of Mindless Ones makes sense and is a good power balance to Iron Man's Repulsors and Strange's magic. Not to mention Thor and Hulk are usually so inseperable on this show that it would be odd to see one without the other. And we got a lot of nice lines from Hulk and he played off the rest of the group quite well, so I'm not complaining ;).

I have to wonder though...where were the other Avengers during all this? What do they do during Halloween? Is there a rotating roster of the group who gets the night off while the others hand out candy? It feels like this was an "all-hands on deck" situation so they should've brought in everybody, but I guess they were pressed for time :shrug:.

Sam might've had a Halloween party at his college, but who knows what Cap and Widow were doing. Hawkeye was probably lazing about the Tower like he's always doing, so I kind of have to wonder why the rest of the team didn't try and contact him. Oh wait, it's Hawkeye, of course they wouldn't ask him to come :p.

Hey, Captain Marvel trick-or-treaters! And a kid in a Black Widow costume with a nice wig. I guess it's nice to see Carol referenced before she shows up, even if it's a little out-of-nowhere to see The Avengers talk about Captain Marvel like they and the audience should know her, which they wouldn't unless they just happened to buy/rent Frost Fight and even that isn't in continuity apparently :sweat:.

It feels like Dormammu should've been a lot tougher in this episode, especially when he obtained the Eye of Agamotto from Strange and he talked about it making Dormammu unstoppable, and yet The Avengers were still able to get some good hits on him. And once Strange got out it didn't take that much effort to get the eye back, same as it didn't take much effort to get it from Dormammu's standpoint (though Strange was obviously and intentionally exhausted at that point). I mean, he still gave them a decent fight, but it wasn't as one-sided as I was expecting. Just feels like they could've done a better job conveying Dormammu's overwhelming power o_O.

• Like Like x 1
    #4 Frontier, Apr 24, 2016
    Last edited: May 6, 2016
  5. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Marble

I felt like Hulk was sitting in more for Hawkeye than for Cap. He seemed to have more quips and jokey lines than usual.

Yeah, Strange seemed to be stressing that this was an urgent situation and their was no time to wait. I can accept that everyone took the night off. Iron Man, Thor, and Hulk weren't exactly on duty at the start of the adventure. Its a shame they blew up the mansion at the start of the series. Trick or treating a skyscraper feels like it would be awkward as opposed to showing up at a house.

Especially since they were in Dormammu's Dark Dimension and they stressed how he would be at peak strength. They also said that the laws of physics would be different, but they didn't really do much with that, either.

• Like Like x 2
  6. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Things I liked:

- Having only three Avengers team up with Doctor Strange. Similar to how "Saving Captain Rogers" only focused on three heroes, it made for a more coherent story and a less crowded episode. Sure the story could have been better and the line-up could have been more balanced but I kind of liked it.
    - The trick or treaters dressed up as Captain Marvel. Looking forward to her inevitable debut. It seems people are already aware of her existence.
    - I liked that the episode was set on Halloween though they could have done more with this idea other than just add some trick or treating gags in some places.
    - Some scenes were pretty funny - like Hulk punching the Mindless Ones into the portals, or Thor simply opening the door to Dormammu's castle.
    - The fight with the invisible creatures was pretty cool. Probably the highlight of the episode, for me. The final fight with Dromammu was decent but I didn't think it was as impressive for some reason.
    - Thor referring to his fights with the Serpent of Midgard and Mangog (see "The Serpent of Doom" and "All-Father's Day", respectively, both from the first season). Though they didn't happen on the same day, unless he fought them again since then, or he was just bragging.

Things I didn't like:

- The beginning, with the Avengers fighting over who gets to hand out more candy on Halloween. At least there weren't any cookies involved... :p The ending with Thor trick or treating was a little better but still kind of silly.
    - The story just seems predictable at this point mainly because the basic plot has been used a few times before. Both in regards to Doctor Strange versus Dormammu, and in terms of Iron Man being a man of science who doesn't believe in magic. Plus the conclusion to the magic versus science debate was underwhelming.
    - The fights with the Mindless Ones weren't too bad, but they got tedious fast enough. Their designs and the other dark creatures' designs looked pretty nice, I admit. Same goes for the Dark Dimension itself, it was a pretty nice setting but that's about all I can say.
    - Dormammu's closing line "This is far from over. Expect me again soon!" could have been added to just about any of his previous appearances.

Overall, a decent episode I guess but pretty disappointing. I'm not a huge fan of Doctor Strange but some of his animated appearances have been entertaining. However I found this one lackluster.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I probably would've appreciated it more if it actually aired closer to Halloween :sweat:.
    Hulk willing to give anyone food seemed out-of-character for him. He would probably hog all the candy for himself.

I actually thought it was both hilarious and kind of creepy that Thor found the only two kids who dressed up as him for Halloween and just hung around them trick or treating like a kid. As cool as it should be to be able to hang out with Thor, that boy looked really uncomfortable there o_O.

At least Tony apologized, though with character development you'd think he'd be more readily accepting of his mistakes or when he's wrong...and you know your in the wrong when Hulk of all people is pushing you to apologize :eek:.

• Like Like x 2
  8. bigdaddy313

bigdaddy313 Well-Known Member

I won't lie to you guys but this episode was boring.

No offence.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I wonder how we should look at the disparity of girls dressed like Captain Marvel with the one girl dressed like Black Widow? Carol's more popular in-universe? Though I guess it figures that more people would prefer a female Superhero with a bright costume, super-strength, and cosmic powers, to a super-spy in a catsuit, even if the former's helmet does give her a weird mohawk :p.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

This episode was mostly just generic. We've done all these story beats before, you know? Dormammu, who is such a cool villain in the comics, comes across as way too generic, in a 1980s kinda way. I thought Thor trick r' treating with those kids at the end was cute, though.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. spyke

spyke Well-Known Member

I could be wrong, but based on the Captain Marvel reference and the Halloween theme, I think that this episode was supposed to have aired later in the season after Captain "Carol Danvers" Marvel joins the team.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It would explain why we're getting a Halloween episode in April :sweat:.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Marble

If you're right, that's a very odd scheduling decision on Marvel's part.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. ernesth100

ernesth100 Member

Ilaughed so hard when Hulk made that face when the invisible beast bit him.

• Like Like x 1
  15. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Interesting thought about this episode taking place later in the season and airing out of order. Other than the world knowing about Captain Marvel and the Halloween story, I think it would have also made more sense to air an episode with Doctor Strange closer to the premiere of his live-action movie. Though this could be just a coincidence, since I'm not sure if they had any idea when the release date for the movie was first announced and if they had enough time to prepare the episode in advance.

Also I noticed in the credits that the trick-or-treaters in this episode were voiced by Phil LaMarr, Liam O'Brien and Jennifer Hale. This isn't necessarily a confirmation she'll also voice the real Captain Marvel when she shows up, but I thought it was pretty cool.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

So we're getting a marathon of Cap themed episodes in time for Civil War, so I wonder if we'll get a marathon of all the Dr. Strange episodes by the time his movie premiers? That'll barrage people with even more Strange, Dormammu, and Mindless Ones :p.

It could have been just because Friday was in the episode, but it was neat to have her voice some girls dressing up as Carol Danvers ;).

• Like Like x 1
  17. ernesth100

ernesth100 Member

I love all the Cap themed episodes in this show. They got Caps character down perfectly. Is the marathon new Cap episodes or old ones? Or a mixture?

• Like Like x 1
  18. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

From the looks of it, we have some of the episodes from the Ultron arc in season 2 where he wore his Winter Soldier costume as well as "Saving Captain Rogers" :).

• Like Like x 1
  19. Roxas_Sora

Roxas_Sora Well-Known Member

I finally saw the episode, and I have not much to comment.

+ A Halloween episode at this point is way "out of place". Although, then again, we are almost at six months from the last Halloween and six months from the next one.

+ I really missed the rest of the Avengers here, but then again, I noticed the members who appeared were the ones more prepared to deal with magic. I mean, in Marvel comics, there are a few What Ifs? where Tony Stark and Bruce Banner were the Supreme Sorcerer instead of Stephen Strange. About Thor, well, he's magical already.

+ By the way, the way Iron Man's tech and Dr Strange were combined at the end reminded me that What If's issue where Tony Stark became the Supreme Sorcerer. This Tony Stark created a perfect way to balance magic and science and combine it in an almost unstoppable force. Makes me wonder if Iron Man could make a special armor for Strange similar to the one in this comic.

+ It surprises me there were so many kids disguised of Iron Man and Hulk, but so few Thors. How about Captain America and the others? By the way, somebody noticed these were the same kids who were playing as the Avengers in the first episode of this season?

+ Hulk's comment about Captain Marvel makes wonder why she wasn't here. She's clearly the girl's favourite hero, Black Widow being second. I wonder if this episode is out of place, and if at this episode's point, Captain Marvel actually already made her debut in the series.

+ You know, with so many kids disguised as the Avengers, I couldn't avoid to think about that classic Halloween's story where everyone becomes the suit it's wearing. If something like that it would happened, I can't avoid to imagine each Avenger leading a team of their "recruits".

What do you think?

• Like Like x 1
  20. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

I liked this episode not just because it had Doctor Strange and Dormammu, but Dormammu was actually quite successful for most of the episode. In the first act he basically steals the Eye of Agammato and becomes even more powerful. That was a good twist for the story.

• Like Like x 1