1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel's Avengers Ultron Revolution "Dehulked" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, May 1, 2016.

?

Rate & Discuss this Avengers Ultron Revolution episode!

1. *****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

50.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

50.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Tune in for a new episode of Marvel's Avengers Ultron Revolution, today at 8:30AM ET on Disney XD! Featuring the long-awaited return of the elusive Bruce Banner!

[​IMG]
    Marvel's Avengers Ultron Revolution "Dehulked"
    Episode Debut - May 1st, 2016
    Directed by: Tim Eldred
    Written by: Paul Giacoppo

Hulk is drained of his gamma radiation and stuck as Bruce Banner.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

#1 RoyalRubble, May 1, 2016
    Last edited: May 1, 2016
  2. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

Hey, Abomination got his powers back! Somehow...and he's a paler shade of green like his MCU counterpart.

I liked the Ghost in the Shell reference with the tiny robot typing fingers. I think Transformers Animated did that exact nod too.

Also, I think this is like the 3rd time they changed the Hulk's origin in terms of how he got his powers. (See "Planet Doom" and Agents of SMASH's "Banner Day".)

Overall, this episode just wasn't for me. It was...average.

• Like Like x 3
    #2 TheLemsterPju, May 1, 2016
  3. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Dwarf-in-a-flask

I think this episode just demonstrated why sidelining Banner is ultimately limiting. I know Hulk's the one that sells backpacks and bandaids, but Banner is the one that brings dimension and depth to the character.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

This episode was basically "Banner Day" with The Avengers, except rather then exploring the emotional and tragic elements of Bruce being the Hulk by including Betty and making his becoming The Hulk again seem more meaningful, this episode focused more on Banner's insecurities and frustration with being relied on and appreciated more for being a dumb, angry, bruiser then for his owns skills as a scientist :ack:.

Which I guess fits an Avengers show more, where every team member is meant to contribute something and with the focus on how the team plays off each other, and it was cool seeing Bruce bring a new dynamic to the team with his smarts and personality (even if sometimes it felt like they were making him seem too similar to the Hulk) while dealing with his own issues. In this one episode alone he proved A bit more resourceful and smart then Tony generally has been throughout the entire series, though maybe his actually having some humility helped ;)?

Though they made a fair point that having Banner on the team is a little redundant. We have two relatively normal guys (Widow, Hawkeye), two smart guys (Iron Man, Falcon), two Armor guys (again, Iron Man and Falcon) and with Hulk they at least have two bruisers. I mean, Banner made the choice to be the Hulk more full-time, so I'm not sure if he has any right to complain when he shoves himself into the team dynamic as himself :rolleyes2:.

Jesse Burch felt much stronger as Banner this episode then he did in the premier. I'm still kind of wondering why they didn't just stick with Fred Tatasciore as Bruce, but at least Jesse Burch is doing a solid job so far. He does a fairly good job of capturing Banner as the meek intellectual with a hidden side to him that's traditional for the character, barring a few weird characterization choices (in my opinion) :cool:.

It's always weird when people treat Banner and Hulk interchangeably as if they're the same person, rather then split-personalities, because even though the Hulk is a part of Bruce's psyche, it's still a completely different person compared to how he generally is. I mean, why the heck would he be playing video games with Thor? And why does Thor act like Hulk is back just when Bruce gets in on the action? Is Hulk just supposed to be Banner when he's dumber and angrier? Then why treat each other as separate entities at all? SMASH at least had the excuse that the Hulk there was basically Professor Hulk, but that's never seemed to be the case here...

I'm surprised we saw the Age of Ultron Hulkbuster design this early, not to mention as a green recolor being used by Banner instead of Iron Man. It looked...okay, but the limitations and issues with Marvel Animations CG really prevent it from looking or being as cool as the movie version :(.

Why mention War Machine and Iron Patriot if you aren't going to do anything with Rhodey, Assemble:mad:?

Oh hey, Abomination! And apparently on his third redesign. Too bad we didn't get to see him fight Hulk :sad:.

This felt like a season one episode with all the movie references. We had Bruce referring to the Hulk as "The Other Guy" and "The Big Guy," the whole science bros. thing, and a direct reference to Tony and Bruce meeting on the Hellicarrier from The Avengers. Personally, I could've done without Tony saying "Science Bros" multiple times. Once was enough :shrug:.

It was nice to get cameos from Betty and Ross, even if I think this is either the third Hulk origin they've given him in this continuity, even in the context of this series, or at least it certainly discredits the SMASH version which actually had Rick involved like in the comics :confused:.

Igor Drenkov? Steel Corps.? Boy they went obscure for the villains in this episode, though at least the former has some relation to the Hulk franchise so his involvement was somewhat fitting, even if putting a Russian guy in a giant suit of armor makes it feel like they were going for Titanium Man or Crimson Dynamo. And how the heck did absorbing that Gamma energy make his suit stronger? Was it Gamma-powered? Shouldn't he have turned into a Hulk himself instead of just remaining in the armor while his skin kinda changes to a greenish hue o_O?

Hawkeye Screw-Up Counter: Wow, the show is so far on a roll with portraying Hawkeye in a solid, good, way without making him the idiot jerk he was in the last two seasons. Here's hoping they can keep it up :D.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. TheLemsterPju

Personally, I don't like the notion of ignoring continuity because "kids won't notice", apparently. Then why not stick with it in the first place if not for that sole reason?
    I don't think anyone could use the "creative freedom" or "movie promotion" excuse to defend how they presented the Hulk's origin in this continuity. What could you change to the already established first origin that would make it objectively more creative without diving into MCU territory? (In other words, if one universe has already done it, try something new.)
    Now they messed up. Either Rick or Bruce is lying, Bruce can't make up his mind about one of the most important events in his life, or the writer(s) simply created a paradox.

We need a Pablo Hidalgo for the Marvel Animated Universe IMO.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I don't think they're deliberately trying to ignore continuity because "kids won't notice," it's just they're not really focused or intent on maintaining a consistent continuity or canon within the cartoons beyond similar designs and (generally) consistent VA's. They'll completely change or alter something if they feel like they need to or if they want to be closer to the MCU, and that's not even going to be consistent across all the cartoons.

I mean, Hulk's first origin was in that Doom episode way back in season one, long before Wacker became involved, and SMASH has always had a dubious place in canon aside from the other Hulks and Leader showing up now and again.

So doing the Hulk's origin again and making it even closer to the MCU version seems like something they would do.

• Like Like x 2
  7. TheLemsterPju

Understandable. :p

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Things I liked:

- Seeing Bruce Banner. His interactions with the Avengers, and mostly with Tony Stark were pretty entertaining. I admit the "science bros" bit got kind of annoying though.
    - Exploring some of the classic Banner traits from the comics regarding how he feels about turning into the Hulk, and developing them further to show that he's more than just the muscle of the team, and could easily compete with Stark in the brains department. Banner upgrading some of the heroes' equipment was pretty cool.
    - The flashback to Bruce's transformation into the Hulk, complete with cameos from General Ross and Betty. I wish the latter would eventually appear again and actually have a larger contribution to a story. Her cameo here reminded me of Peggy Carter's photo back in "Saving Captain Rogers"; hopefully both of them and their relations to the heroes will be addressed on the show eventually.
    - The brief mention of War Machine. Though his absence from every single episode of the show (and the other shows as well) is very weird.
    - Iron Man's "Of course, Igor Drenkov. Who is he?" line was pretty funny. There were some other amusing bits in the episode but I liked this one the most.
    - The fight scenes were decent, not as great as in other episodes but entertaining enough.

Things I didn't like:

- The Steel Crops could have been explained some more. Their designs weren't that great either and apart from Igor we never learned anything about the other members. But I realize they weren't really that important to the story.
    - I'm not really a huge fan of the character but I think it would have been nice if the Abomination had a bigger role, considering his already established history with the Hulk.
    - The ending with Banner becoming Hulk after getting electrocuted by Stark felt a little too silly, at least compared to the rest of the story. Well, there was also that scene with Banner playing video games with Thor, but that one worked in the montage showing how much Banner's world has changed since the last time he reverted back to his human self.

All in all, a pretty good episode which managed to handle Banner and the Hulk rather well. Hopefully we'll continue seeing more of Banner on the show after this story.

• Like Like x 2
  9. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Dwarf-in-a-flask

That was a cute reference at first and then they overused it. Pasdar didn't really sell the line, either.

Well, they could've ended with the two of them working together and enjoying each other's company. I would've loved that, but I bet it would've gone over eight year-olds heads so we had to end with slapstick.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

Writing in this episode wasn't my favorite. First of all, everyone coming down on Bruce Banner. Tony saying he's the smartest so Bruce can't be another smart guy on the team. All the team members just wanting Bruce for the Hulk and his strength was weird. I mean, he saved the day and cooled down the reactor. And then Stark was a complete and total jerk, and Cap's like yeah you're right. All this was very OOC to me.
    I kind of feel like Agents of SMASH did this same story a little better.

And I'm not saying this just because I consider Fred Tatasciore a friend, but I think he's a better voice for Bruce Banner. I completely understand tweaking Banner to make him closer to the Mark Ruffalo look and style. But Jesse Burch doesn't really sound closer to Ruffalo's Banner at all. So it's sort of an arbitrary change to me.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

Anyone know who voiced the big bad?!

12. jaylop97

jaylop97 L Twins

Seeing Banner here
    Well the show is going to need to keep going somehow, which reminds me of how confusing it was to see the Agents of Smash and Avengers at the same time, so in this case I for one really wouldn't think to hardly on how the situation is.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. TheLemsterPju

Right. A "squint test", like with the Transformers Aligned Universe.

EDIT: Wrong figure of speech.

• Like Like x 2
    #13 TheLemsterPju, May 1, 2016
  14. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

It's a loose continuity at this point. I don't think they are trying to keep all the shows that in line with each other anymore.

The show already had the original Guardians show up in Avengers Assemble before the new movie-fied versions showed up with the new voices.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

A few more thoughts about the episode:

- Like I mentioned previously I would like to see more from General Ross and Betty later on. And I do mean more from them, not their hulked-out alter-egos. I pretty much had enough of Red Hulk after Agents of SMASH, though I admit getting to Red She-Hulk eventually could be nice.
    - Similarly, while it would have been nice seeing Abomination get a larger role here, I think it's pretty cool they're using him (and other minor villains we've seen before) as these side-missions while they're focusing mostly on new villains for the majority of the episodes.
    - Banner mentioned at one point he modified Hawkeye's Hulkbuster arrows, which really sting. I think that's what Hawkeye used on him back in the season premiere, to make him turn into Hulk and fight the Adaptoids. Pretty nice callback.
    - Igor Drenkov was also used in the 60s Hulk cartoon from the Marvel Super Heroes Show in the episode which dealt with Hulk's origin (not surprisingly, since those were pretty much always faithful adaptations of the comics at the time). I think that's his only other animated appearance.

Igor Drenkov was voiced by André Sogliuzzo.

Here are the credits for the episode:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

After the opening to SMASH, I've been wanting to see Clancy Brown voice the actual Thunderbolt Ross for a very long time, but we're probably not going to get it anytime soon. Especially given Red Hulk showing up last season :sad:.

I think the chances of Red She-Hulk ever showing up were hurt by SMASH ending. This universe already has enough Hulks to deal with that I don't see them adding in one more, especially given the other Hulks are mostly just used now for cameos or smaller guest-appearances, if at all :shrug:.

That said, I do wonder if we'll see all the Hulks back for the World War Hulk adaption :ack:.

I was disappointed we never got to really see his new redesign in action or have him fight Hulk, especially after all their disappointing bouts in SMASH :(.

But yeah, it's nice to see more villain introduced rather then just reusing older villains constantly like the last two seasons fell prey to ;).

Wow, I didn't catch that. That is pretty neat :).
    -

• Like Like x 2
  17. Marvel/DCfan

Marvel/DCfan Active Member

This episode was painfully boring