1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel's Avengers Ultron Revolution "Civil War, Parts 1-4" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Jan 28, 2017.

?

Rate & Discuss this Season Finale of Avengers Assemble!

1. *****

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

- It's kind of a long-shot, but one could draw some similarities between the big Ultron reveal here and how Justice League Unlimited brought back Brainiac in their Cadmus arc. Though I'm not sure Ultron ould actually possess another human being (presuming Marsh was ever real), like he could enter Iron Man's armor.

- If Spider-Man were to appear in this arc, I'm guessing he would have been a member of the Mighty Avengers. I am kind of glad they didn't use him, for one thing it makes a bigger difference between this and the live-action movies (where his presence in the Civil War, however short, was still a highlight for many), and also because we've seen Spidey versus mind-controlled heroes so many times already.

- I was surprised to see so many girls on the same team of Mighty Avengers. After the Marvel shows pretty much had a limit of one girl per team, this was a nice change of pace. And next season looks to have an even better balance.

- I wonder if Tony being stuck in another dimension will be used as an excuse for him having a different voice next season. :p

• Like Like x 1
  2. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

Agreed on Spider-Man. I was wondering how they'd write in his absence, so I guess the route they went of having the Mighty Avengers meet up by coincidence worked well enough. I was under the impression the government would be forming them or hand-picking each hero.

You will still definitely tell us how much you don't like it every week though, I'm sure.:p

• Like Like x 2
  3. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

Calling this arc "Civil War" was a bit of a gimmick and a misnomer, but it's fine. I liked the event, and now we know why Marsh was such a heel, which everyone seemed fixated on throughout the season. Marsh being suck a jerk. Well, it was because he was Ultron the whole time.

I think Tony's proverbial cartoon or "non-death" is a bit silly. BUT his emotional farewell to Cap and the other team members was played nicely.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Dustellar

Dustellar Active Member

No, I really gave up with this series, I will only see the episodes where Hank Pym appears... if they remember he exist! the big problem with MCU synergy is that the biggest losers are the fans of little known or unpopular characters.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Being reminded of DCAU Braniac reminds me of EMH Ultron. Ah...good times :rolleyes2:.

Now that I think about it (again), how did Ultron even pull off the Truman Marsh disguise? Nanobots or something :confused:?

I couldn't see Spidey siding with registering Inhumans anyways, especially given his relationship with them, though I guess he probably would have been easily convinced off-screen by Marsh like the rest of the Mighty Avengers apparently were :sweat:.

Though it is kind of weird that the only official reserve Avenger played no part in such a dramatic moment for the team, but I guess Marsh/Ultron felt that Spider-Man was too close to the main Avengers to actively work against them as he intended the Mighty Avengers too o_O.

It's awesome that we were finally able to get, not only three women on an Avengers team, but five, active, Superpowered ladies across the entire event (Widow, Medusa, Cap and Ms. Marvel, and Songbird) :D.

Not to mention they all had different powersets and personalities instead of just being in the same Black Widow mold as the female leads in other cartoons ;).

Hopefully we'll see more female heroes, and better focus on the ones we currently have, going into Secret Wars and across all the cartoons :).

I could totally see them doing that, though it's still probably going to be pretty jarring :ack:.

Or supporting characters and love interests (though that's less of an MCU synergy thing and more to do with how Marvel Animation is handling the cartoons) :(.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Marvel/DCfan

Marvel/DCfan Active Member

Hopefully they'll make at least one female based episode in Secret Wars especially with heavy hitters like Jane Foster Thor and Captain Marvel on the team.

• Like Like x 2
  7. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think in Spidey's case it might have been even more interesting if he had to fight his team-mate Triton...

We even had some sort of romance, this 4-part episode basically had a little of everything.

That might be asking for too much... but I'd like to see something like that. Maybe bring back She-Hulk, too.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

A-Force tribute episode anyone :cool:?

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

That scene with Baron Strucker getting punched repeatedly by some of the Avengers was pretty hilarious. Nice follow-up to him being thrown around in his last appearance ("Seeing Double"). It would have been nice if Yelena Belova returned for the finale as well, though she probably had no interest in what was going on here. But, maybe she'll come back next season.

Another character that was missing from all this was Bucky - I don't think we've seen him at all this season outside that flashback back in "Saving Captain Rogers". It's cool they didn't try to feature as many elements as possible from the Marvel Cinematic Universe into this arc. Come to think of it, this and Captain America's movie were probably produced around the same time, so they couldn't have known all the details. But I think Bucky and Spidey being in there was known at the time.

Random thought: Maybe next season, the real Truman Marsh will appear and everyone will be shocked to see he's actually a level-headed reasonable guy. :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I still have no idea how Strucker survived that, unless his gauntlet is supposed to be a sign that he's really a cyborg or something o_O.

Being punched by all those heroes, he should've been dead by the time he hit the floor :sweat:.

Even Cap seems to have forgotten about Bucky, since apparently Tony is the first best friend he's ever had :confused:.

That would be kind of hilarious :anime:.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Medinnus

Medinnus Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, the Satan's Claw does making him a cyborg, technically. And one of the properties of the Satan's Claw is to drain life-energy and give it to Von Strucker, so I imagine if he needed a quick heal he crawled off and found a hamster or something...

• Like Like x 3
  12. Barbossa

Barbossa Member

We had 4 women on the xmen team in the Wolverine and the xmen show, but then that was the previous regime of Marvel animation, when they were not scared of using female characters like they are today.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

To be fair, USM had more than one female character but that was mainly because of the many teams introduced throughout its run. I think the New Warriors stand out with both Dagger and Squirrel Girl as members in the same group.

Back in "The Conqueror", Kang was surprised to see the Avengers "before the schism". Does anyone have any theories about that? Was he referring to this Civil War (even though about half of the characters who would oppose them weren't present at the time), was he talking about something that hasn't happened yet (and might happen next season), or did the Avengers manage to alter the future by defeating him? Or it might just be a forgotten plot point. :p

• Like Like x 1
    #33 RoyalRubble, Feb 2, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  14. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Not that the group lasted that long before the Web Warriors showed up and became the main, all-boy, team (least until MJ joined) :sweat:.

I think it was either:

A. They had not worked out how they were going to handle the Civil War arc by the time that was written, but wanted to foreshadow it anyway :rolleyes2:.

B. "Schism" referred to dissension in the (small) Superhero community rather then in the main Avengers team, since the characters who were part of the other side weren't technically Avengers (except maybe Ant-Man) :ack:.

C. He was referring to the Dissasembled arc, rather then the Civil War arc.

D. Kang, not being as adept or competent in time travel as he should be, had no idea what he was talking about :p.

• Like Like x 1
  15. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

Kang could've been referring to an event that doesn't happen for years or centuries for all we know.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Capt.Traphouse

Capt.Traphouse Sexiest Thing Since Sex

Lol since he's in the past this is even more true.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I haven't been too up to date with the various Marvel animation series, especially when they tend to take their sweet time with putting them On Demand, but I did just check out this four part event for the fun of it. I don't know how much of this season I've seen in total, but I probably saw a decent chuck of it at least, not including these four episodes.

I thought it was pretty enjoyable for the most part. There were some good action scenes and most of the episodes ended on pretty good cliffhangers to. I was pretty annoyed and confused about the Mighty Avengers' motivations though. They seemed generally unsure about siding with Marsh, but when they met the Avengers, they were totally in favor of working with the government to bring Inhumans in for registration. I even wondered for awhile if I missed a scene or something. I understand that they wanted the heroes to fight each other and that's fine, but there needs to be better/actual motivation for a situation like this to happen. I don't know how it was in the comics or in the Civil War movie, but having believable motivation is better than just having the heroes fight just because. It was made even worse that they just changed sides off-screen and no one was really upset over what they had done. Granted, they did need to take care of the brainwashed Inhumans, but they injured Captain America through their needless fights and arrested the Avengers. It was like they wanted to get rid of that bit of drama and tension as quick as possible.

Sure, the fights were cool and there were some nice moments, but I was too distracted from the terribly written motivation to really be that invested in it. It wasn't pointless per say, but the whole Avengers vs. Avengers thing felt so tacked on because of the motivational problems and how it didn't seem to have much impact beyond bringing a new set of Avengers together, which they probably could have done without the Civil War angle. It also didn't help that what they were fighting over wasn't really a morally gray situation. Even before the reveal, the registration act was so clearly made of evil that anyone who thought that it was for the greater good was just kidding themselves.

Ultron being Marsh the whole time was obvious. He was just so evil that he was obviously at least involved with Ultron. There was some good action with all of the Avengers and there were some nice callbacks to the earlier episodes of the season. I thought that they would find some way to save Tony near the end, but it was a good way of getting rid of Ultron while also making the finale having some lasting consequences. Granted, they kind of under minded that with Tony being able to communicate through dimensions right at the end, but it was pretty likely that he'd come back sometime within the next season anyway. Even so, it was still a pretty effective emotional scene when he was saying goodbye to everyone, especially when the friendship between Captain America and Iron Man comes off as one of the strongest ones in the series based on what I've seen.

Overall, it was a pretty enjoyable finale, mainly for the action scenes. I kind of wish that they took out the Civil War aspect out of it since the story probably would have had a better flow to it without tacking that in it, but I could see why they'd want to include it. At the very least, better/actual motivation for the Mighty Avengers to side with the government would have made it an improvement. I'm not sure if I'll comment for the next season. I usually don't have a lot to say about these episodes due to how long it can take me to watch them after they've aired, not seeing every episode in the series and my general lack of familiar with the Marvel universe with both the comics and the movies. I might at least with the new Spider Man series or something.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

Same here. I never comment with everyone else because Canada is behind and I don't want to bump the threads when I finally see the episodes. I'm nowhere near the season finale, though it seems to have gotten... a good response, I guess? I'm avoid what people say until I've seen the episodes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

While I can certainly understand having difficulty commenting due to unconventional viewing experiences, we'd definitely appreciate more comments and discussion on the Marvel cartoons if you're willing ;).

• Like Like x 1
  20. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I tend to worry about bumping threads long after the episodes air too. The season finale seems to have at least fairly positive comments based on this thread's comments at least.

I am surprised with how most of the talkback threads for episodes or events don't get nearly as much attention as some of the DC animated series, but not everyone has Disney XD and I do know that most of the current Marvel animated series haven't been too well received here for various reasons. Based on what I have seen, they are still enjoyable. The writing can be kind of weak at points, but most of them do have some genuinely good moments and episodes to make them at least above average.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1