1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel's Avengers Ultron Revolution "Building the Perfect Weapon" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Nov 13, 2016.

?

Rate & Discuss this Avengers Ultron Revolution episode!

1. *****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Tune in for a new episode of Marvel's Avengers Ultron Revolution, today at 8:30AM ET on Disney XD!

[​IMG]
    Marvel's Avengers Ultron Revolution "Building the Perfect Weapon"
    Episode Debut - November 13th, 2016
    Directed by: Micah Gunnell
    Written by: Stan Berkowitz

The Avengers, along with their new teammate Red Hulk, must stop the Leader from building and unleashing his secret weapon.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

• Like Like x 1
  2. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Marble

That CGI train that Hulk stopped looked really bad against the 2-D characters and background.

I never watched much Agents of SMASH, but I guess Ross and Hulk don't have much goodwill from being on the same team, huh?

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

It was a decent episode.

The Leader's redesign looks cool. At least he looks nothing like Tim Blake Nelson.

First time I've ever seen a "To Be Continued" on this show with a electronic sound effect. That was Justice League's "TBC" stinger. :p

• Like Like x 4
    #3 TheLemsterPju, Nov 13, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
  4. Manhunter

Manhunter Super-Tech Cat Ninja Guy

I'm just glad they toned his outfit down from HATAOS.

And his plan seemed pretty solid.

And Marsh is still a jerk.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

So has Ant-Man's movie been released to great success, warranting it getting its own exhibit at a convention center? And here I was expecting it to be a box office bomb :rolleyes2:.

It must be tough being Laura Bailey, since she's had to voice practically every female or little boy incidental character, like she did with that mother and son in the intro. I mean, Jennifer Hale has been picking up the slack to some degree this season, but Bailey has been the most prominent to only female VA in the cast since the series began. As awesome and versatile as she is, I'm sure she appreciates that more women will finally be joining next season to lighten the load a little ;).

Red Hulk on The Avengers goes about as well as you would expect given his personality. He's obnoxious, a loose canon, doesn't play well with the group at all or seems to respect them, and his impulsiveness ends up causing even more problems then they solve. Ironically he feels more like season 1 Hulk then the real Hulk, who the writers are actually writing with a lot more respect and maturity now (and doing the same for Hawkeye) :).

Of course Red Hulk gets passes for his antics, because he's "adjusting" to being on a team (even though he was already on a team of Hulks) and the government wants him there, while Hulk is the one who gets punished. That's totally fair and reasonable :mad:.

I like Thor's attitude towards Red Hulk, both because it represents his close friendship with Hulk and because Thor disliking Ross so much was fun to watch. I also liked Ross calling him a hippie :p.

That collar they put on Hulk felt like a very cruel and unusual punishment. I mean, he willingly took himself off the team, why does he need to wear a collar that hurts him any time he makes any kind of exertion whatsoever? Is this supposed to make the government look cautious or ruthlessly paranoid to the point of ridiculousness o_O?

And they couldn't even let him transform back into Banner? Wouldn't it have been more sensible to put that collar on Banner since he's less of a threat then The Hulk? Is the government supposed to look sympathetic at all in this :confused:?

I also have to keep wondering what the heck The Avengers are going to fall into dissension over since they all seem in complete agreement that Marsh and his government mandates can just go and fall off a cliff :rolleyes:.

Hulk didn't think about going to the old Agents of SMASH base to cool off while the government was benching him? Or maybe hang out with Rick, Jen, or even Betty for supoort? Just seeing him walking around in a trench coat was odd in and of itself since that's more Joe Fixit's thing, or what Banner would wear while trying to hide himself. It's also weird seeing people view Hulk in a negative light given how accepted as a hero he's been throughout the cartoons, especially in Vista Verde :ack:.

The Leader makes his return to Marvel Animation, with James Arnold Taylor reprising the role, which feels sensible in what's been a predominantly Hulk-focused arc so far. Though I wasn't really feeling his new design much, since it felt pretty bland compared to the one he had in SMASH, and it actually seems like his head shrunk a few sizes since his last animated appearance :sweat:.

Ultimo just kind of came out of nowhere, though at least Iron Man knew who he was since Ultimo's one of his villains. I was half-expecting Ultron to turn out to be controlling it and teaming-up with the Leader since his appearances have become so sporadic and random as well.

Why didn't Widow and Hawkeye go after Leader while the rest of the team, including the powerhouses, dealt with Ultimo? I'm not trying to say they don't contribute anything or don't have some power behind them, but having everybody attack Ultimo didn't feel very sensible given the situation. And Widow's Widow Stings being able to effect Ultimo that much felt like a bit of a stretch, as a lot of Widow's stunts on the show tend to be :shrug:.

I have to say, Leader turning Red Hulk into a giant Gamma Monster was actually kind of epic, even if it hinged on Ross being an idiot :eek:.
    This arc actually feels like it works better if you haven't seen Agents of SMASH, even though that's where this version of Red Hulk and Leader first appeared :sweat:.

• Like Like x 2
    #5 Frontier, Nov 13, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
  6. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Marble

She's like Tara Strong on Transformers Animated.

It reminds me of that episode where Lobo joined the Justice League.

If it turns out that Marsh isn't a villain or a plant I will be very surprised. This is 90s X-Men government stupidity.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I liked this episode, but the main thing I didn't like was the "Put a collar on Hulk" thing. The other Avengers actually agreed to that? If Hulk gets mad at them, he would totally be justified. As for Red Hulk, I don't like him, but it felt like the writers made him even more of an idiot than usual (at least in Agents of SMASH, he didn't usually put civilians in danger and then callously laugh it off) just to make a point.

The Leader was a pleasant surprise, though; he was used far more effectively here than in the SMASH show; he actually came across as a genius here.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Pretty good episode. Red Hulk had some decent interactions with the others but his attitude got kind of annoying by the end. I liked how the others reacted to him, and I think all had some valid reasons not to like the guy. Marsh is still annoying but I get the feeling he's supposed to be one of those characters you have to dislike. I do wonder where his story-line is actually heading, and if he'll be involved in the Civil War arc as well.

I wasn't in any hurry of seeing the Leader again after his too many appearances on Agents of SMASH, but he was a decent villain for this story. His plan to build the perfect weapon was pretty cool and I admit I wasn't expecting Red Hulk to play such a large role in it. Ultimo's debut was a pretty nice surprise but it just reminds me Ultron still hasn't returned on the show, despite his name being in the title. As a side-note, Ultimo's blue design kind of reminded me of A-Bomb. :p

Hulk's side story was neat but there were a couple of things that didn't make much sense, for example why he didn't turn back into Banner. Still I liked the way it played out and how he proved he's still a hero at the end. I think the writing for Hulk on this show has probably been the most inconsistent in past episodes, but this season has handled him well enough.

This version of the World War Hulk story should be interesting...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I hope he's not an indicator of how lopsidedly black and white the Civil War conflict is going to end up being :sweat:.

Anyone expecting the Warbound, Green Scar, or the Hulk beating the crud out of all the heroes will probably be disappointed next Sunday :sad:.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

Was Red Hulk this stupid and annoying on the Hulkie and Smashers show? I liked the episode otherwise. I figured early on Leader was leading Red Hulk into a trap, but I admit, the final reveal of what the trap actually was and what it was intended to do was a clever surprise. Also I surprisingly liked how the Leader was portrayed here.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'll just say it's not too far off from how he was depicted on that show :sweat:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. ChessKing

ChessKing Active Member

I think Marsh will have the role Thunderbolt Ross had in the Captain America Civil War movie since Ross in this series is already Red Hulk.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

I'm sort of wondering what the deal is here. Did Agents of SMASH happen in this continuity? Did it not happen yet?

Just for example, the last episode had Hulk saving Vista Verde. Red still refers to Hulk as "Greenie." Did the team break up and go there separate ways.

Hulk becomes a wandering drifter for a while. Couldn't he have tried living in Vista Verde for a while or going back to the Agents of SMASH base? I like that we are getting a Red Hulk mini-arc, and I'm glad we got an arc with Leader as villain. I'm just wondering what the logic I should use is.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. Medinnus

Medinnus Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

While its probably too soon in the arc for a definitive answer, all the signs point to "what continuity?"

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

The answer is "Nobody liked Agents of SMASH so we're not paying attention to it."

More seriously yes, it likely already happened, given that Hulk references having met the Inhumans in the past (which I think happened on SMASH).

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

The thing with Marvel Animation is that they might tease or make small references to stuff that happened in other cartoons, but those generally don't hold up when you look too deeply into how the continuities all work out :sweat:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Dustellar

Dustellar Active Member

Like I said many times... Hulk and the Agents of Smash (and any series from the current Animated Universe that is canceled or not renewed) isn't canon anymore! Ultimate Spider-Man is next.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Medinnus

Medinnus Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Kind of.

More like the AGENTS OF SMASH series has been placed in the same "draw pool" that everything else in what passes for the Marvel animated series - the MU 616, all of they myriad other Marvel continuities in comics and animation, etc. - draws upon for backstory.

While Hulk may have meet the Inhumans in SMASH, he has also met them in MU-616. /shrug As to which instance he was referring, we'll never have an answer.

Chris Yost once made the point about continuity that in an infinity of universes, its virtually impossible in episodic fiction to distinguish between the same continuity and another continuity with 99.9999% congruence, so worrying about continuity, even between episodes within the same series, is pointless and an exercise for one's own satisfaction. (He was asked this after the AEMH comic, which was stated to be in AEMH continuity, contradicted Yost's statement from very early in Season One that AEMH and his previous X-MEN cartoon shared a continuity).

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

Unless you're Greg Weisman.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Medinnus

Medinnus Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Superior writing is Greg Weisman's hallmark - not so much (IMO) the post-Yost writing of the Marvel animation department.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1