1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel's Avengers: Secret Wars "Why I Hate Halloween" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Oct 8, 2017.

?

Rate & Discuss this "Avengers: Secret Wars" episode!

1. *****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Tune in for a new episode of Marvel's Avengers: Secret Wars, today at 8:00AM ET on Disney XD!

[​IMG]
    Marvel's Avengers: Secret Wars "Why I Hate Halloween"
    Episode Debut - October 8th, 2017

The Avengers must protect a Hydra scientist from the vengeful forces of Dracula and his vampires.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

2. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

I wonder if there's a point to using Madame Masque and not actually making her Madame Masque. Anyway, I thought it was a fun episode. I'd never expect Hawkeye to hold off Dracula on his own, and he managed to do it while listening to Frost's constant worrying and complaining as well as making sure Crimson Widow and Crossbones didn't gun him in the back. This appealed to my tastes.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

So uh, what is the timeline here? Is this a leftover episode from Season 3 or is this just from much later in this season?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

It really could pass as a Season 3 episode, if they had those intentions, just due to the absolute absence of any of the current members of the team. I'm not sure if some of the minor details might differ though, like Crossbones' movie look or Yelena running around with Hydra.

Sent from my AT7-B using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2
    #4 Rick Jones, Oct 8, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  5. RoryWilliams

That threw me for a loop as well. She already left HYDRA after betraying them in the third season. This show is really bad at continuity lol.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It is kind of weird that we have an episode with the original Avengers, seemingly still in Avengers Tower, airing when they're still lost in other dimensions and we're focusing on the New Avengers. I guess Marvel just wanted to have a Halloween episode with the old team on standby :confused:?

Why did they even bother to bring in Wingert for this episode? Iron Man only had like, two lines, and then he was gone for the rest of the episode. I guess that just clears up that this was produced later then Ultron Revolution since it wasn't Pasdar playing Tony :shrug:.

I thought this was a pretty awesome Hawkeye episode. I've been pretty critical of this show's take on Hawkeye in earlier seasons, especially compared to his pitch-perfect portrayal in Earth's Mightiest Heroes, but I have to say the show's depiction of him has steadily improved over time :).

It really felt like this episode was able to really sum up and depict who Hawkeye is and why he's such an awesome character, through his cunning, wit, resourcefulness, and never say die attitude, and even Troy Baker was firing on all cylinders with his performance :D

Was the "Beach House" supposed to be a nod to Hawkeye's cabin in the movies? If so, it makes him hating it seem even funnier :p.

I know the Marvel cartoons are all no-romance, but I just have a hard time believing that Hawkeye would never once try to flirt with a beautiful woman he was stuck together with, even if she was evil :rolleyes2:.

I though this was also one of the better outings for Dracula in a while, especially compared to his use in season 1, and portraying him as this unstoppable spectral force against a lone "bowman" made for a pretty thrilling adventure :cool:.

I wonder if we'll ever see Whitney again. Widow appeared to be taking her into custody at the end there, but she seemed to be on the verge of a change of heart after her experience with Hawkeye. Of course, speaking of redeemed villains, I'm still wondering where the other Thunderbolts are :ack:?

Y'know, making Hulk act so childish doesn't really work if he's not in "Savage Hulk" mode, where he's supposed to have the mind of a child :rolleyes:.

She felt a lot more like Monica Rappaccini then she did Whitney Frost. I was also honestly surprised they had her with Hydra since her motivation and personality seemed more in-line with AIM o_O.

I'm also not sure why they chose to pair up an Iron Man character with Hawkeye. The only real connection Frost has to Hawkeye in the comics is hating Kate Bishop :sweat:.
    I'm pretty sure Crossbones was sporting this same design in his one appearance last season, in the Black Panther episode ;).

I feel like the only reason they had him and Yelena together in this episode (even though she shouldn't even be with Hydra anymore) was as a nod to Crossbone's partnership with Sin (Red Skull's daughter) in the comics.

• Like Like x 1
  7. RoryWilliams

Did they mention Avengers Tower at all?

8. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

The training room Cap and Hawkeye were in at the end looked exactly like the one from Avengers Tower.

The one from Avengers Compound looked a lot brighter, as I recall.

9. Roxas_Sora

Roxas_Sora Well-Known Member

I can't believe you guys haven't mentioned some small but important details here. You see:

Well, what do you think?

#9 Roxas_Sora, Oct 11, 2017 at 6:29 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2017 at 4:10 AM
  10. RoryWilliams

Why would you put in spoilers for an episode that hasn't aired yet?

11. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Marvel's Avengers: Secret Wars "Why I Hate Halloween"

This was obviously aired out of order because all of the original Avengers (including Iron Man are back). Good to know they're all right.

This shows the whole loophole of the "Vampires can't come in without an invite" rule. They can still burn your house down with you in it.

I love Dracula's voice. I love the way he says "Bowman".

I love that Hulk still goes trick or treating, but to honest, smashing vampires seems to be a Halloween dream come true to me. True, there is no candy involved, but it's not like Tony Stark can't afford to ship in a bunch of the best chocolates from Germany anyways.

I liked him holding up Crossbones and Scarlet Widow, and telling Hawkeye he found something.

Hawkeye does NOT like being called the weakest Avenger. Not one bit. Frost's theory was asinine, so I'm surprised Clint felt the need to double-check with Cap about it at the end anyways. But Hawkeye is the guy who knows fighting vampires outdoors is merely a waiting game until dawn.

I like the idea that Hydra abandons Whitney when Clint won't, and considers her a liability. But the idea was interesting enough on its own. They didn't need to smash us over the head with it a bunch of times.

I liked it. ****.

• Like Like x 1
  12. strugler

strugler Member

Strabge that no one has mentioned thay frost was played here by Wynn Everett, the same actress that played her in the agebt carter tv show.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I guess that explains why she was almost nothing like comic Madame Masque here :p.

Though that's still pretty cool that they got her to reprise her role here, though it would've been cooler had they given her the chance to play the proper Madame Masque ;).

14. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

I have no idea who does which voice. Disney XD always squeezes the end credits.

15. Roxas_Sora

Roxas_Sora Well-Known Member

I don't get why the details I posted previously have been put as "Spoilers". I mean, the episode has already aired, didn't it? So, what's the point of the spoiler tag?

By the way, besides the details about Thor, Hawkeye's new arrow AND the return of Iron Man, there's another detail to mention after today's episode with rescuing Falcon.

Falcon has his MCU's look in "The Once and Future Kang", but in this Halloween episode, we see him back at his armored young self. His aging will be undone somehow?

I really want to see the whole season already, to explain all these things. Either these are all continuity errors or something insane is about to happen.

16. Medinnus

Medinnus Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

The point is courtesy for the other members of the board. Today was the first time I've had a chance t see this episode. Not everyone watches it the same day as everyone. Hence the rules about the use of spoiler tags; it's not a lot of extra work, after all...

This episode is clearly out of continuity and meant to be a "Holiday Special".

Having spent so many decades with the Gene Colan "Tomb of Dracula" version of Dracula in the MU, this version seems kind of cheesy. The other one was much more ...fun, if one can even say that about the Lord of the Vampires.

Dracula and Madame Masque make the same mistake - underestimating Hawkeye. He makes Bullseye look like Quickdraw McGraw.

Of course, the premise - that Hawkeye would end up deserted by the other Avengers against Dracula is kind of weak. Surely there could have been some backup, if only some SHIELD Special Ops folks with UV lasers, wooden knives, and flashbangs. SHIELD knows vampires exist, they must have some special ops groups who train for them.

Easter Egg - Rutland, VA. Extra points for those who get the reference without having to look it up.

• Like Like x 2
    #16 Medinnus, Oct 15, 2017 at 10:31 PM
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2017 at 11:44 PM
  17. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

When was the last time SHIELD was actually relevant on this show? They were never even addressed during the Civil War arc :sweat:.

18. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Pretty good spotlight episode for Hawkeye. I think the show is starting to portray him better than it did in the beginning. And his interactions with the others in this episode - both heroes and villains - were pretty entertaining. Plus, some cool action scenes.

Nice mix of villains, with Dracula, Crossbones, Crimson Widow and Madame Masque all squeezed in the same story. I suspect we haven't seen the last of Whitney on this show, so I wonder if the events from this episode will affect her next appearance in any way.

The only thing that really bugged me about the episode was its place continuity-wise; even aired out of order, going by production codes it should still take place after the Avengers disappeared at the end of the season premiere. But other than that, I liked the episode.

You were talking about events from episodes that haven't aired yet. If you want to discuss stuff mentioned in the descriptions for upcoming episodes announced to air, use the News & Discussion thread. And spoiler tags if you are talking about episodes that aired in other countries before officially premiering in the US.

• Agree Agree x 1