1. View our list of the Top 10 Characters That Need a DC Animated Film. Click here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel's Avengers: Secret Wars "The Sleeper Awakens" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Aug 27, 2017.

?

Rate & Discuss this "Avengers: Secret Wars" episode!

1. *****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Tune in for Marvel's Avengers: Secret Wars! Disney XD will premiere five new episodes, back-to-back, today starting at 8:00AM ET!

[​IMG]
    Marvel's Avengers: Secret Wars "The Sleeper Awakens"
    Episode Debut - August 27th, 2017
    Written by - Henry Gilroy
    Directed by - Tim Eldred

When the Red Skull loses control of his doomsday Sleeper robots, the Avengers must stop them.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Side-Note: If possible, please try and discuss the events of each new episode airing today in its respective talkback thread.

2. General Mike

General Mike Member

Well I thought the comedy was pretty good in this one. Vision wanting a pet was weird, but it lead to a nice moment.

Evil AI going even eviler is a weird one though.

Castle Red Skull?
    Hydra Base number 24.

Where'd they get the money to buy Avengers Mansion?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Possibly the weakest episode of today's batch. Filled with boring giant robots, and the Red Skull android turning good was a fairly obvious twist. Many, many other superhero shows have done it, and better.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

Vision wanting a pet robot made me think of "Hail The Tornado Tyrant", from Batman: Brave And The Bold, though that probably hit a little harder in the feels.

I'm going to guess T'Challa covered the costs of the Mansion and he's probably the team benefactor at the moment. He does have some pretty deep pockets.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'll give the New Avengers this much, they have great taste in headquarters :D.

It's just awesome to see Avengers Mansion back in action. Avengers Tower was okay and Avengeres Compound was so dull, but nothing beats the classics and Avengers Mansion is that in spades. It's also cool that, despite being a brand new team, the New Avengers honor Avengers history by bringing back the Mansion :anime:.

"We're Avengers 24/7" AKA we all have no lives outside being Superheroes :rolleyes2:.

So Red Skull has apparently always used these robot drones that look exactly like even though this is the first time we've ever heard about them across three seasons. Okay :confused:.

Well, I'm sure Liam O'Brien enjoyed the opportunity to do multiple versions of his Red Skull voice, though his voice for "Skully" was kind of grating :sweat:.

Vision taking a Red Skullbot and trying to turn it into his pet was a pretty goofy plot. I get where they were going for it but it was one of the weaker parts of the episode for me. Though I guess we should be just glad that Viz just didn't try and turn the robot into a son, because that never goes well :ack:.

Red Skull's AI's philosophy was surprisingly Aryan in it's intent...

It's so weird watching Red Skull face-off against this Avengers team when he has no real personal investment against them without Captain America around. I guess he fought Ant-Man that one time where he made a deal with Dormammu and got caught in a net, but I think he probably doesn't want to remember that :p.

The Sleepers being these giant, CG, Red Skull robots was something, though the teams' teamwork in taking them out was pretty cool :cool:.

Skully choosing to make a heroic sacrifice was a pretty obvious plot twist, and while I respect the show's intent I can't say I was all that invested Skully or that development by the time it happened :shrug:.

It's nice to see Antony still lives on in animation :crying:.
    I just assumed they re-purposed the Wakandan consulate into Avengers Mansion, especially given that's where we saw the team regroup at the end of the premiere and there's obviously Wakandan designs on the building :).

• Like Like x 2
  6. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Decent episode. Vision wanting a pet was kind of random but harmless enough and I get they're trying to humanize him a little more. I was also reminded of Red Tornado's plot from Batman: the Brave and the Bold and kept waiting for someone to point out Skully was more like a son than a pet, but I imagine they didn't want to get into that.

When the heroes pointed out Red Skull uses these Skullbots frequently I started to wonder if this episode was somehow originally intended to feature Doctor Doom. Speaking of which, the entire plot with Skully kind of felt like the "Doom's Word is Law" episode from Fantastic Four: World's Greatest Heroes.

Not much else to say. It was kind of nice seeing Red Skull again (and Leader for a couple of seconds), and Skully was fairly amusing. Having an artificial intelligence turn evil and trying to teach a robot some feelings are both cliche plots but I think you can still make an entertaining story out of them. But this episode wasn't all that great.
    And the Wakandan national anthem is also the door chime. :p

• Agree Agree x 1