Marvel's Avengers: Secret Wars "The Return" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Oct 22, 2017.

?

Rate & Discuss this "Avengers: Secret Wars" episode!

1. *****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Tune in for a new episode of Marvel's Avengers: Secret Wars, today at 9:00AM ET on Disney XD!

[​IMG]
    Marvel's Avengers: Secret Wars "The Return"
    Episode Debut - October 22nd, 2017

The Avengers discover the Earth has been taken over by Loki.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Side-Note: If possible, please try and discuss the events of each new episode airing today in its respective talkback thread.

• Like Like x 1
  2. trance2009

trance2009 Fun to play with not to eat

So iron man is still mia.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

I wasn't really invested in these. The dialogue seemed hokier and more stock than usual, which at times made certain characters seem incompetent. (i.e. Enchantress making a big deal out of her arena and completely abandoning it after, to her surprise, Captain Marvel and Ms. Marvel managed to defeat a giant snowman...) :shrug:

At least with Loki, the ending seemed to have implied that he wanted to lose and made an act, or had an immediate contingency plan on a grander scale.

Other than that, the "World Breaker" concept was very cool! Now I'm curious if that was actually something from the Norse mythology...

• Like Like x 2
    #3 TheLemsterPju, Oct 22, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  4. General Mike

General Mike Member

I liked it, but it felt like they put too much stuff into a half hour episode.

I'm surprised Iron Man isn't back yet, and that we didn't get at least a tease of Jane as Thor.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm really wondering how the show is going to juggle all these Avengers now that both teams are together. Even in this episode alone we had a few Avengers reduced to just standing there saying nothing or just making grunts, with Black Widow only getting one line (easiest paycheck of Laura Bailey's career) :sad:.

I guess in the next few episodes we'll probably see different groupings and pairings between the two teams like we had with the New Avengers in the initial set of episodes :).

So I guess we're not going to see Falcon's old team react to how much he's changed since his time with Kang :ack:.

I guess I can't say I'm surprised to see Loki turn up as the leader of the Cabal (he was one of my primary suspects in fact) especially with an upcoming Thor movie coming out. Though now he's stealing Malekith's shtick with the Casket of Ancient Winters (looking exactly like the movie version) :mad:.

I see they've adapted Loki's current comic look, right down to the 5 o'clock shadow. Not that I mind a new look for the God of Mischief, it just seems a little too unkempt and wild for the Loki of this universe o_O.

Y'know, Jane Foster punching Loki doesn't work as well without proper context as to why she's punching him. It seems like there's some history there, like in the comics and movies, but not enough to warrant her personally socking him like that...other then to reference the movies :rolleyes:.

That scene with all the Avengers cramped into Jane's small apartment was funny, but it also felt a little too goofy for what was, up to that point, a pretty serious episode :shrug:.

I like the touch that Jane's dog likes Thor though :anime:.

Thor leaving his hammer on Jane's coat rack (along with Cap's shield)? I feel like I've seen that in a movie before :rolleyes2:.

So I see Jane can setup an elaborate technical station in her one apartment. The wonders of SCIENCE folks :p.

Okay, I know we've come to expect Loki siccing the Destroyer armor on the heroes at this point, but how the heck was he able to come up with two separate Destroyer armors for his plan :confused:?

I was going to ask how the heck Loki was able to hack Vision, but then it turned out to be a ruse the entire time :harley:.

Loki making clones of himself to fight Thor with? I feel like I have also seen that in a movie before :rolleyes:.

Loki's never presented himself as being that physical a combatant, so I'm not really sure how his clones were able to beat the tar out of Thor like that :eek:.

Ah, we're back at Avengers Compound now? What about Avengers Mansion :(?

Keeping Loki locked up in Avengers Compound honestly seems as dangerous as keeping him locked away in Asgard, especially when he doesn't seem that bothered by it :evil:.

Loki using the word "beyond" and hinting at strange happenings coming in the future for the Avengers seems to be teasing the Beyonders and the Secret Wars storyline (y'know, that this season is named after).

It's kind of funny that this whole plot was kicked off by them trying to bring Iron Man back and nobody mentions how he's the only Avenger who's still missing :sweat:.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #5 Frontier, Oct 22, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  6. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

It's kinda sad how this episode may have been the weakest in the arc. Too much going on; should have been a two-parter. And yeah, hopefully they address Iron Man soon.

Also, ironic how Thor keeps saying that from now on, he won't go easy on Loki - and then just locks the trickster up in the Avengers base. Yeah, OK...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

To be honest, I'm not sure if the writers will even acknowledge that Ultron is the reason why Tony is still trapped in that other dimension.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

I'd been thinking I was keeping track of which Avengers helped which but I only just realized Tony isn't back, days after the episode. Maybe that will play in to the version of Secret Wars they do

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Wow, with all these characters I didn’t even notice Iron Man was still gone,
    Either way, I agree this episode and the one before was weak. It seems like they’re really trying to hammer in morals to the episode and it came out awkward and resulted in the character’s backtracking in terms of growth and development. And in this episode there were too many characters to juggle.
    Arc started out pretty strong, but fell apart in the end, I hope it’ll pick back up in the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Medinnus

Medinnus Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Best part:

"This isn't the first time I've been put on ice" - Captain America

I might almost say "only good line", but that would be a little harsh - but only a little harsh.

Ice trolls - because Ulik was busy, and the jotuns finally figured out that nothing profitable ever comes from Loki's plans. Thousands of years and they finally learned!

So, with the Destroyer armor Thor wore in the Enchantress' playpen, that makes three sets of Destroyer armor? The Destroyer is supposed to be a one-of-a-kind unstoppable juggernaut (no relation to Cain Marko); make them the Asgardian version of a Hydra Dreadnaught robot and it devalues the whole concept.

Why did Vizh bother blocking the hammer if he was just going to grab it and hit Loki with it? Oh right - pointless action exchanged for the dramatic gesture. And the poor writing continues...

Pretty art, though...

• Like Like x 2
  11. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

This was pretty good but the story was kind of rushed and didn't make much sense at times. It was nice seeing all the Avengers (well, minus Iron Man) in the same episode and the smaller teams they formed were pretty effective.

I wasn't really in a hurry to see Loki again since he's been used a lot in this new continuity, but he was a decent antagonist and it makes sense he was behind the new Cabal. I also wasn't expecting him to get a new design; it doesn't look too bad but for some reason I thought he resembled Star-Lord. Similarly, I don't think any character noticed or at least commented on Falcon's new look.

The fight scenes were pretty great. The humor, not so much. The scene in Jane Foster's home started off good but then it got a little too silly and forced. I thought the same about the Avengers chuckling at Captain America and Black Panther both giving the same orders.

Iron Man's absence wasn't that noticeable given everything that was going on, but I did find it odd nobody even mentioned him. And I was also expecting some kind of foreshadowing in regards to Jane and Thor's hammer. The ending was pretty ominous, so it should be interesting to see what Loki was alluding to.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Marvel's Avengers: Secret Wars "The Return"

Love Jane Foster punching Loki.

All of the Avengers crammed into her apartment was funny. Her dog doesn't like strangers. But it does like Thor.

Good long con by Thor and Vision. Loki calling Vision "Dear" creeped me out.

Good Ragnorok synergy.

Thor offers peace to Loki at the end AGAIN? What a chump.

Good conclusion. ****.