Marvel's Avengers: Secret Wars "The Incredible Herc" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Aug 27, 2017.

?

Rate & Discuss this "Avengers: Secret Wars" episode!

1. *****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Tune in for a new episode of Marvel's Avengers: Secret Wars, today at 9:00AM ET on Disney XD!

[​IMG]
    Marvel's Avengers: Secret Wars "The Incredible Herc"
    Episode Debut - August 27th, 2017
    Written by - Geoffrey Thorne
    Directed by - Tim Eldred

The Avengers welcome Hercules to the team, but soon discover he hasn’t told them the truth about why he’s there.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Side-Note: If possible, please try and discuss the events of each new episode airing today in its respective talkback thread.

2. General Mike

General Mike Member

It was okay. Something different with the mythological beasts showing up, plus the Hercules and Ares conflict contrasting with the conflict between Captain Marvel and Black Panther. So far my least favorite of the episodes from this block.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Squarely in the middle for me. Not particularly a Hercules fan, but I wish that Thor had been here so that they could have interacted.

Speaking of, I'm shocked he didn't ask where Thor was...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It was awesome seeing Hercules show up. He's a classic, non-movie, Avenger so you wouldn't really expect him to pop up on a show like this so having him make a guest appearance was really cool :D.

I thought they got his jovial and bombastic personality down quite well, as well as his self-serving ego that belies the true heart of a hero within him, and he really livened up the team in this episode. Matthew Mercer's take on him took some getting used to but ultimately I felt he did a great job of capturing Herc's personality and larger-then-life attitude ;).

Kamala fangirling over classic Avengers is always fun :anime:.

It seemed like Hercules had some experience with the original Avengers, though of course we're only seeing it mentioned now. It's a shame Thor is gone because it would've been nice to see the classic rivalry between the Prince of Asgard and the Lion of Olympus in animation :sad:.

Herc's hammer didn't look like his one from the comics, so I wondered if something was going on there until Panther brought out his classic mace from the comics out Ares' war chest. Though Hercules only really showed an interest in it at the very end of the episode, as Black Panther used it for most of the fight against Ares. Though he used it pretty well I might add :cool:.

So the team's been together for several adventures at this point but never bothered to establish who the leader is? Shouldn't that have been something they cleared away at day one :confused:?

Though I guess it was inevitable that T'Challa and Carol would butt heads at some point. They're two strong, take-charge, personalities who are also incredibly different in terms of life experience and attitude. That's just a recipe for conflict :ack:.

Though it was good to see the show resolve this conflict in one episode and in a way where Carol and T'Challa come out of it more respectful of each other and their different ideologies, so hopefully we don't get any repetitive conflict between them like Tony and Steve had :).

T'Challa and Carol becoming co-leaders was so obvious I'm surprised it took them this long to come to that solution, especially since that's how the original team worked. Although comparing themselves to Iron Man and Captain America is a pretty low-bar to set for themselves :harley:.

It's fitting that an episode featuring Hercules would also feature his Archenemy, and other former Avenger, Ares. I thought Ares was a pretty solid antagonist for The Avengers to fight with, especially as he tussled with Black Panther and his brother together, and Trevor Devall (of Rocket Raccoon fame) did a surprisingly good job as the God of War :evil:.

I wonder how Zeus is going to react to realizing the Avengers locked his son in Tartarus :sweat:?

It would've been nice to see Hercules actually join the team, if only because it would add another non-movie Avenger to the team and a classic one at that, though I guess I'm not surprised they didn't. As big a team shakeup as we got in the premiere, Marvel Animation still seems pretty set in keeping their team roster's static for the most part :shrug:.

It was neat seeing the team consider Hercules for filling out their Thor slot given Herc originally replaced Thor in the Avengers in the comics to begin with. Of course, they're probably saving the group's Thor slot for Jane once she lifts Thor's hammer :rolleyes2:.

I kind of hope they just keep Hercules around and he just makes random cameos where he's still cleaning up the damage the hydra did to the Mansion :p.

• Like Like x 1
  5. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It was pretty nice seeing Hercules again. He was a fun guest-star though he did get kind of annoying at times. The twist that he was sort of responsible for the creatures attacking the city was fairly predictable.

The sub-plot about who's the real leader of the current Avengers team was handled well enough but similarly got a little annoying as it played out until Black Panther and Captain Marvel finally agreed to work together instead of arguing.

Overall, I enjoyed this story and take on Herc and would like to see more from him. Even if he didn't join the team in this episode I don't think we've seen the last of him.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. MaximumSpider

MaximumSpider New Member

I laughed at the line where they said if Tony and Cap could work it out they can. Those two were beefing every episode.

This whole episode is Herc's fault but I'm glad the Avengers saved him, this was my second favorite episode of the whole bunch

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1