1. View our list of the Top 10 Characters That Need a DC Animated Film. Click here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel's Avengers: Secret Wars "Sneakers" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Aug 27, 2017.

?

Rate & Discuss this "Avengers: Secret Wars" episode!

1. *****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Tune in for a new episode of Marvel's Avengers: Secret Wars, today at 10:00AM ET on Disney XD!

[​IMG]
    Marvel's Avengers: Secret Wars "Sneakers"
    Episode Debut - August 27th, 2017
    Written by - Shaene Siders
    Directed by - Tim Eldred

Ant-Man and Black Panther must stop Baron Zemo from obtaining a mystery object from Wakanda.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Side-Note: If possible, please try and discuss the events of each new episode airing today in its respective talkback thread.

• Like Like x 1
  2. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

It's worth noting that even if Zemo disowned his father, it doesn't mean he can't try to be better than him. Sadly, I think that was his last leg to stand on.

• Like Like x 2
  3. General Mike

General Mike Member

Liked that we got 3 team-up episodes in this bunch of 5, this one with Panther and Ant-Man. Good to see Zemo back to a life of crime as well.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Team-up between the jokiest and most serious members of the new Avengers? Heck, why not? Fun enough episode, even if the climax with the giant Baron Zemo felt like something we've already seen a bunch of times.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

Their interactions were fun to see and I'm glad we got to see more of Wakanda. Just about the only thing I didn't like was Ant-Man suddenly not being able to grow, which seemed like really contrived drama.

Also I loved King T'Chaka's costume being Jack Kirby's Silver Age Black Panther design.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Pairing up Ant-Man and Black Panther together, the stoic, straight-laced king with the jokey, comedic thief, is a recipe for a fun adventure. While I wouldn't say they had chemistry on par with Hawkeye and Panther in Earth's Mightiest Heroes, they still bounced off each other quite well in this episode :).

I'm kind of surprised the writers didn't use this as an opportunity to introduce more Wakandans to set-up "Panther's Quest" next season. I mean, we got some cameos from Dora's and a flashback illustration with T'Chaka, as well as some more exploration into Wakanda, but that's about it. I was at least expecting Shuri to make an appearance o_O.

Of course the Wakandan's have hover cars and robot drones :rolleyes2:.

T'Challa saying he's at peace with Scott's bad jokes was probably his funniest line yet :p.

So I guess if T'Challa really built all those robot drones then he must be a brilliant mechanical engineer in this continuity (which isn't much of a surprise), though I wonder if that will still be in effect once Shuri appears for movie synergy :ack:?

Well, I guess it was time for the show to really emphasize that this is a rebooted version of Scott Lang. Not only is he a quippy former thief and criminal, like in the movies, but now apparently his Giant-Man transformations effect him in a way they never did when he used them in past seasons. I get that the continuity in Marvel cartoons can be fluid, but this is kind of ridiculous :rolleyes:.

I guess about the only thing they haven't brought up yet is Cassie, but that's the kind of personal element to a hero's life that I don't think we're ever going to see on this show :sweat:.

T'Chaka in the classic Black Panther suit in that flashback illustration was pretty awesome :cool:.

I'm glad the writers realized Zemo worked better as a villain then he did as a reformed hero, so they pretty much dropped that plot point outside of Zemo emphasizing that he's his father's better in this episode. It's just great to have Zemo back, and still playing everybody for chumps :evil:.

Of course I could have done without him turning into a giant monster-man again, like in the ending of the Thunderbolts arc last season, because it just feels ill-befitting for a master tactician and swordsman. But I guess we did get a solid Giant-Man fight out of it ;).

• Like Like x 1
  7. mrbean1500

mrbean1500 Member

I feel like every episode of this show has some sort of "contrived drama" (like wasp and captain marvel bickering, black panther and captain marvel fighting to be leader, etc... even the new spider-man show has this problem with those 2 potential students having a super immature fight to see who would get into the school). If they would take their time and develop WHY the characters are bickering all the time instead of shoehorning them into episodes, I feel like this show could be a lot better. I'm guessing it's due to them wanting to wrap up full story-lines in one episode.

That being said, I think this episode was the better than most of the episodes this season, since it had the least contrived story. The part that felt contrived in this episode was the beginning where Ant-man just starts out breaking into a random building that just happens to be a secret Wakandan building. It reminds me of TMNT episodes where the drama spawns form Mikey doing something dumb and they spend the rest of the episode fixing his mistake.

• Like Like x 2
    #7 mrbean1500, Aug 30, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  8. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

That's one thing that's struck me about this batch of episodes is that they all really feel like one-in-dones and as a result feel like they have very little in the build-up or long-term significance :ack:.

I also wouldn't say we're really getting all that much insight into the cast or major character development, at least that's not solely centered around one episode rather then being a consistent thing across the season. Though maybe the pairings in these episodes will continue to develop and mature across the season :)?

We also didn't get any scenes showing what Jane is doing as far as finding the other Avengers or updates on Thor's hammer or what the Cabal is up to...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Ant-Man and Black Panther were a pretty fun team-up. Their personalities clashed a little but it did lead to some pretty interesting developments. I didn't particularly care for the drama regarding Scott's past and reluctance to become Giant-Man again, though it was relatively harmless.

Zemo's return was pretty cool but I found the climax with him turning into a giant monster just tedious to watch. I liked the flashback to both Zemo's and T'Challa's fathers fighting and the brief lesson about that crocodile amulet. All in all, a pretty enjoyable story.

• Agree Agree x 1