1. View our list of the Top 10 Characters That Need a DC Animated Film. Click here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel's Avengers: Secret Wars "Prison Break" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Aug 27, 2017.

?

Rate & Discuss this "Avengers: Secret Wars" episode!

1. *****

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  7. **

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Tune in for a new episode of Marvel's Avengers: Secret Wars, today at 8:30AM ET on Disney XD!

[​IMG]
    Marvel's Avengers: Secret Wars "Prison Break"
    Episode Debut - August 27th, 2017
    Written by - Danielle Wolff
    Directed by - Micah Gunnell

Captain Marvel and Wasp must stop Crimson Widow, Typhoid Mary and Zarda from breaking out of the Vault.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Side-Note: If possible, please try and discuss the events of each new episode airing today in its respective talkback thread.

• Like Like x 1
  2. General Mike

General Mike Member

Did they recast Zarda?

Typhoid Mary needed a boat and some monkeys? That's something I'd like to see.

They did a good job making Yelena a threat in her 2 appearances on the show, more than can be said about lots of other characters on the show.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

An episode just focused on the female characters is good in theory, but too many things bugged me. Wasp was fairly annoying, the way they escaped from their cell was dumb (they just...blasted some wires? Literally any of the villains could have done that!), and Wasp holding her own in a fight against Yelena was hard to buy, considering that Yelena had, scenes before, taken down a few of the Avengers easily enough.

The best part was Capt. Marvel vs Zarda.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

Carol and Hope felt a little too similar from my perspective, so I didn't really dig the whole personality clash they had going on at times. Typhoid Mary kind of felt like she had a bit of Harley Quinn going on. The fight scenes felt really hard hitting.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

Hope's character arc sort of highlighted the problem this show consistently has, which is the writers not adequately planning ahead. Her bitterness over the Avengers not having recruited her in the past is actually an interesting conflict on paper, but loses any sort of dramatic weight since we've never seen her before this season.

Oh well. At least I liked Typhoid Mary. I wonder if getting Tara Strong to voice her was an intentional gag referencing Harley Quinn (like getting former DC cartoon actors to voice the Squadron Supreme).

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

Typhoid Mary was the best part of the episode. (I just hope she doesn't meet Deadpool...)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

Only downsides, is the close up shots with some of the characters, and Carol easily being sucker punched by Crimson Widow, who as far as I know has no super strength so again like Natasha, she SHOULDN'T be able to do that; oh and this Wasp is indeed Hope Van Dyne... phooie.

Other than that, it's a pretty decent episode.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Marvel/DCfan

Marvel/DCfan Active Member

I agree Crimson Widow shouldn't have been able to punch Captain Marvel just like Black Widow shouldn't have been able to beat Zarda. That's just weird. But overall this is one of the best episodes I've seen.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. SweetShop209

SweetShop209 Well-Known Member

The whole episode is sort of like a DC Superhero Girls reunion given that she, Grey DeLisle Griffin, April Stewart, and Josh Keaton voice principal and major characters in that series.

Two notes:

1. When someone mentions Crimson Widow, I do not think of an actress like Julie Nathanson, who's usually known for voicing characters like Belle (for her Sofia The First appearance) and Scarlett Turner (Naomi's mother on Elena Of Avalor, who's a good person on the whole), but she gave a good performance here

2. Nitpicks aside, this is an enjoyable episode.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #9 SweetShop209, Aug 28, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  10. Northstar

Northstar New Member

I thought this was a pretty good episode over all. It might just be me but I was amused by Zarda quoting Conan the barbarian.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

One of the bigger issues with the Loeb-era Marvel cartoons was the severe lack of female representation, where more often then not we only got one prominent female character per show and they all generally to fit into a Black Widow mold of being "no-nonsense and serious" :(.

So it's great to see that now we can get an episode of a Marvel cartoon dedicated to showcasing the ladies, both good and bad and while I think the show could sometimes do a better job on a characterization and distinction front with their heroines, it seems like we're at least making progress again on that front :proud:

"Crimson Widow?" When did that become a thing for Yelena :confused:?

I know we've seen Black Widow do some inexplicably impressive stuff, but Yelena being able to throw-around with three super-powered Avengers was a bit much :rolleyes:.

The "holding out your hands to be handcuffed" is the oldest trick in the book Vision :mad:!

As cool as it is to see Yelena back and proving just how much of a devious and resourceful villain she can be, it's kind of weird having her pop up while Natasha is gone given they're rivalry was only introduced last season and was still left unresolved. So having Yelena get brought down by completely new Avengers didn't feel as meaningful :sad:.

Y'know, the "Winsome Wasp" is usually known for being petite, so it's kind of ironic seeing that Hope is about on par with Scott height-wise :rolleyes2:.

Well I guess it's not surprising to see them bring up Hope's movie backstory and use that to introduce some, heretofore unknown, desire to prove herself and resentment over not being asked to join The Avengers beforehand (even though she didn't even exist back then). But hey, at least they mentioned her Dad (though not her Mom) :).

I don't know what's more odd, that they locked Yelena up while she was still in restraints or that they never bothered to remove her stingers after taking her into custody :confused:.

I guess the writers couldn't resist pitting Captain Marvel, the character Marvel is priming to be their Wonder Woman (who's also coincidentally voiced by someone who's voiced Wonder Woman before), against an evil Wonder Woman analogue in the Power Princess. Not that I mind, because we were able to get one of the more brutal and exciting fights in the entire series out of it :D.

Speaking of Wonder Woman, they really upped the WW references with Zarda in this episode. She got to yell out several variants of classic Wonder Woman catchphrases, "Sufferin' Sappho," "Merciful Minverva," "Great Hera," and her "In a world of ordinary mortals..." spiel reminded me of Wonder Woman's intro in the episode "Play Date" on Justice League Action :rolleyes2:.

Typhoid Mary was suprisingly a lot of fun. Her zany personality and lines were funny and her reaction faces were pretty entertaining and unique as well, and Tara Strong did a great job capturing her craziness and wild demeanor. She's a very unexpected character to see turn up here, given Marvel Animation aren't as keen on promoting the more Netflix-esque characters in their staple, so it was really cool seeing her get utilized well here :evil:.

The Vision sub-plot kind of took me out of the episode, though that might be because it felt like it lacked the intensity of the main plot because we pretty much knew Vision was going to be okay. And then they just try and will him back to life, which just felt a little too much :shrug:.

It would've been cool if they'd brought in someone from the wider Marvel Universe who knows a thing or two about robotics to help fix Viz, instead of reboot Ant-Man (who shouldn't be as tech savvy as he was in past seasons) or Black Panther (who's skill with robotics is dubious, even if he's likely savvy in the field). Maybe they could've brought in, I don't know...Hank Pym :p?

Hope being able to fight Yelena on fairly even-footing was hard for me to buy. Like, I can buy that she has some self-defense training (even though it came out-of-nowhere here unless you watched Ant-Man), but that should not put her on par with a Black Widow. I feel like Hope should've gotten as much of a beating as Carol was getting from Zarda :eek:.

Good to know that helmet is useful for more then hiding Hope's pretty face ;).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Capt.Traphouse

Capt.Traphouse Sexiest Thing Since Sex

Great episode. Loved seeing all the villains in jail especially the Squadron Supreme cameos.

The Wasp "prove herself" subplot came out of nowhere. It would have been great if it was a thing an episode ago. The Vision scene was actually somewhat compelling.

Crimson Widow's plan was great. She's a fun villain and I actually liked Typhoid Mary, like others I wish Songbird was here. Zarda punching out Typhoid Mary was awesome.

How could Crimson Widow punch out Captain Marvel? Why is Wasp fighting Crimson Widow as an equal? Fights were fun but weird.

You know its weird when Captain Marvel is the team adult.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #12 Capt.Traphouse, Aug 29, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  13. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Ah the classic and standard girl focused episode. Couldn't have done back then with just Black Widow.

Yeah, that was my issue with this episode. A lot of these characters seemed nerfed to have equal footing. Also shouldn't Carol be able to absorb energy blasts from Crimson Widow and become more powerful? I also don't think Wasp should've been able to handle Crimson Widow on her own.

And yeah, Typhoid Merry was so meant to be Harley Quinn, it's not even funny. They really tried to make her wacky with the animation and expressions, and it was a bit offputting compared to how everything else was.

Also, even though Wasp was given a backstory, she still doesn't have much of a unique personality.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Barbossa

Barbossa Member

Wow that Harley Q knockoff was so bad and cringe worthy Only Marvel animation would make Tara Strong sound like a bad voice actor. I felt bad for her.

It was a solid episode. Its a miracle we have an all female episode in this Loeb Marvel animation era. Also Captain Marvel is no powerhouse on this show that's for sure. I am sure that will change when the live action film comes out.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

Frankly, Typhoid seems more like an evil version of the Creeper than Harley.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Honestly, Mary here seemed pretty consistent with how crazy and manic she is in the comics, just slightly toned down to make her more appropriate for a kids cartoon.

Maybe they cast Tara Strong as a nod to her being the most consistent voice for Harley Quinn, but her performance in this episode was nothing like what she usually does for Harley.

• Like Like x 1
  17. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I liked how this episode combined both a female-centric story and a prison break plot, which is also a pretty common trope in superhero cartoons. And it was pretty entertaining for the most part. Captain Marvel and Wasp were a decent team-up and the mix of villains was nice. I agree it felt a little weird having Yelena in the story since Natasha is missing at the moment (somewhat similar to the previous episode with Red Skull, but it didn't bother me as much there).

Wasp's desire to prove herself as an Avenger was handled well enough but it would have worked better if there was some build up to all this. Since it was apparently solved by the end of the episode I expect it won't ever be mentioned again, either.

The fight scenes were pretty fun to watch (even if the power levels weren't all that consistent throughout the story). Captain Marvel versus Zarda was the highlight.

Typhoid Mary was an interesting addition. I'll admit I'm not overly familiar with the character from the comics, but I liked how she was portrayed here. She added some humor to the story while still remaining relatively creepy at times. Others have already compared her to Harley Quinn, but I for one thought she was kind of reminiscent of Mad Harriet from the Female Furies.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. MaximumSpider

MaximumSpider New Member

Black Widow II punching Captain Marvel like that was so ridiculous.

At least she took all the money from the inmates before she got locked up herself in the end

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1