1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel's Avengers Assemble "Widow's Run" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Feb 22, 2015.

?

Rate and Comment on "Marvel's Avengers Assemble"

1. *****

14.3%
  2. ****1/2

28.6%
  3. ****

28.6%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

28.6%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Check out Marvel's Avengers Assemble!

[​IMG]
    Marvel's Widow's Run "Downgraded"
    Episode Premiere Date - February 22nd, 2015
    The Avengers must protect Widow and Thor as they carry out Widow's plan to rid the Earth of the Infinity Stones before Thanos arrives to claim them and control the Universe.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

2. trance2009

trance2009 Fun to play with not to eat

Now this was a much better episode. Though they couldn't afford a voice actor for Dormammu apparently.

3. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Marble

This was a very good episode and a strong contender for best episode of the season, possibly the series. Black Widow's determination and focus shine throughout particularly as she reaches her breaking point. Thor gets a great opportunity to play up his subtler, noble side that is often buried thanks to his rivalry with Hulk. The fight scenes also looked great. Doctor Strange was the standout, but Star-Lord also looked very impressive.

This is probably my favorite Guardians appearance in the Marvel Animated Universe. Star-Lord and Rocket's rapport was particularly sharp this time around. Can't say the same for Drax and Gamora, unfortunately. They really seem to be getting shortchanged in these guest spots. I hope they get their due in the upcoming spinoff.

I wish this conflict had been given more time to develop before bursting onto the scene here. I also kinda chuckled when Thanos just showed up behind Widow and Hawkeye at the end. You don't usually associate the Mad Titan with stealth. A strong setup before the mid-season finale, keep it up.

4. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

This episode was very good, proving that the writers really can step it up for the important plot episodes.

Like JoeMabbon said, I was impressed with Black Widow in this one. The lady is a trooper. Even Thor gets some depth here. I was glad that he didn't keep his vow.

Also so cool seeing all those guest stars. Dr. Strange, the Guardians, Dormammu.

Believe it or not, Thanos has shown some stealth in the comics. I was actually surprised we saw that in this show, since his last appearance made him out to be more of a brute than a strategist like in the comics.

The next episode should be really epic as well. I'm actually sad that the show will be going on break after next week.

5. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

This was a very good episode and kind of frustrating. Across the board, the more serious, action oriented episodes like this one and Planet Doom tend to be much better than the rest. Why do they insist on doing the goofy slapstick gags and food jokes when they're capable of so much more?

(Note I'm a fan of humor. The Avengers movie was very good about balancing the jokes with the action. The problem is this show's jokes aren't funny or timed well.)

6. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

This. A lot of people complain about how the current Marvel toons are comedy oriented, but that wouldn't even be a bad thing if the jokes were good and didn't take you out o the mood. This episode didn't have any bad jokes, and it came off all the better for it.

7. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

I enjoyed seeing Black Widow step up and get the spotlight here. That said, her being the only one strong enough to overcome the temptation of the Infinity Stones is a little silly and far-fetched. C'mon, she has a stronger will than Captain America? Captain America even telling her that sounded silly. Captain America's will has always been unbreakable. Even Doctor Doom said it accomplishes miracles.

Good fight with the updated version of the Guardians.

However, Widow dumps the stones only to send them right into Thanos gauntlet. Good job breaking it, heroes.

8. ssj4jw

ssj4jw New Member

The only thing I didn't like about this episode was Dormammu's sound clip voice. The same roar every 3-5 seconds was annoying.

What makes AA better than S.M.A.S.H and USM is that they don't talk to the audience. Breaking the 4th wall (SM) or making it a reality show (SMASH) kinda shows us that the characters are in no real danger. I don't need to see a persons name every time they show up in a episode. Also I pretty sure kids can figure out the lesson at the end without being told what it is.

9. webmonkey44

webmonkey44 Member

Good action, no jarring comedy, focused on main plot. The flaws that did exist didnt distract from it unlike last week.

10. Medinnus

Medinnus Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I did too - my objection was that if she has had all of these capabilities before, why have we never seen it before? And likely will never see the stuff again.

Agreed, although he might have said that her strength of will, combined with the Red Room's and SHIELD's anti-brainwashing routines might, in this instance, render her a better choice. But too much to say, so they over-simplified.

Except they all seemed to have studied at the Imperial Stormtrooper Academy for their marksmanship. I felt that the appearance and use of the Guardians was just for the cross-promotion, and seemed out of place AND out of character.

And we've seen "Dark Phoenix" before. /snore

11. Christopher Glennon

Christopher Glennon Punch Drunk Flounder
    Staff Member Reporter

Great episode. Could've been a two-parter, really. Having the Avengers fight the Guardians and then team-up with Dr. Strange to fight Dormammu and then Thanos shows up after that. I would've liked to see more of Widow noticing Tony and maybe the others under the influence of the gems and then deciding to sneak around and try to steal them. I liked Thor being on her side, but why trust him and not Captain America? Why did Hulk have to vouch for them? It seemed kind of random to have Widow fight some of the Avengers while others trusted her.

This show is pretty light when it comes to character development and making everyone three dimensional, but we can kind of extrapolate Widow's capabilities from what we've seen of her. She's always been the focused get-the-job-done type, and in the episode where the Avengers turn into Hulks, she demonstrated that her thought process isn't exactly on the same wavelength as the others.

12. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

Technically it is a two-parter because it ends on a cliffhanger.

13. spyke

spyke Well-Known Member

Quoted for the truth. The jokes in this show are dated,corny,childish,and dumbed down.

HOLLY CRAP, I actually liked this episode more then you did. I thought that this episode (at least for this mostly crappy show) was excellent. That being said, you do bring up a good point (and I agree with you) about how silly it was for Widow to be the only Avenger with the strongest will to resist the corruption of the stones/gems.

14. Christopher Glennon

Christopher Glennon Punch Drunk Flounder
    Staff Member Reporter

Good point. Although I think they could've just done Widow sneaking around in the first half, the fight with the Guardians in the second half, and then the episode would end when they reach the steps of Dr. Strange's place.

15. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought this was one of the best episodes this show managed to offer so far. Sure it was a little rushed, there was no real build-up to this story and there were some scenes which didn't really make a whole lot of sense, but it was entertaining enough for me. It was great seeing Black Widow get a spotlight episode. Some great action scenes, too and a limited number of jokes which didn't distract from the story. Cool guest-stars as well, though I thought the Guardians of the Galaxy were pretty much squeezed in just to have more heroes in the same episode. Other than that, a great episode and it's a shame the rest of the show hasn't been as exciting.