1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel's Avengers Assemble "The New Guy" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by Stu, May 17, 2015.

?

Rate This Episode

1. *****

25.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

50.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

25.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Stu

Stu Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
    Staff Member Administrator

Check out Marvel's Avengers Assemble!

[​IMG]
    Marvel's Avengers Assemble "The New Guy"
    Episode Premiere Date - May 17th, 2015
    Since joining the Avengers, Ant-Man revealed to be Scott Lang has helped them by taking out Fin Fang Foom. Under Captain America's suggestion, Hawkeye puts Ant-Man through an Avengers training course on Monster Island to determine if he is cut out to be a member of the Avengers. Captain America, Hawkeye and Ant-Man are unaware that Red Skull and a small army of Mindless Ones are nearby planning to cloak himself from Thanos using Dormammu's powers.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

2. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Marble

The opening sequence wasn't great and I thought Hawkeye was really petty at first. However, the episode picked up once we got to Monster Island. I like that they gave Ant-Man's powers some limitations and explanations. As much as I liked Hank in Earth's Mightiest Heroes, I felt they never really explained his growing powers that well. I enjoyed the reference to the classic Ant-Man/Hawkeye team up as well.

As for Skull, did he not hear that the Avengers defeated Thanos pretty convincingly back when he had all the Infinity Stones? Are the writers really planning another Thanos arc before the season's up? Give him a rest guys.

3. Roxas_Sora

Roxas_Sora Well-Known Member

OK, I have things to comment about this episode, some of them apparently weren't noticed by nobody. Check this:

+ In this episode, Fin Fang Foom has a more simple design that his previous appearance in "Hulk and the AGents of SMASH" along with the Impossible Man and Sauron, less reptilian and more "humanish". Don't you think this is wrong?
    + Hulk is back to his old brown pants? This is totally wrong!! He should have kept the SHIELD pants, because they seemed to the origin of the pants he wears in "Agents of SMASH".
    + We finally see Ant-Man's other half in action: Giant-Man. I have to say, seeing him with the helmet as a giant was a little weird, although I always wondered where the helmet had gone in the comics when Ant-Man became Giant. It's too bad the Giant Man had a time limit, and it was very appropiated from Hawkeye to mention the fact of the names, "Giant-Man"/"Ant-Man".
    + Glad to see it has been confirmed that the character is Scott Lang and we finally see his face. However, I hope we will see Hank Pym in the future.
    + Defeating Fin Fang Foom by shrinking him was something that I was expecting. Although the "gun" he used to do it seemed to me like a gadget used by Yellowjacket. Making Hulk's food bigger was something I also expected. I guess they will no longer have problems to feed him, although already mentioned, Ant-Man could do this to solve the hunger in the world, don't you think?
    + Don't you think is a little ridiculous how quickly the Avengers' Tower was reconstructed after Ultron's battle? How about the rest of Stark's tech he had to destroy to purge Ultron?
    + Have you noticed that Cap's painting was the last scene of the first episode of the series? Just after MODOK and Red Skull stole the Stark's armor and arc-reactor.

+ I wonder where the shell Ant-Man got the ant's pheromones. Something tells me it's better do not know it. I reminded me an episode of "Phineas and Ferb".
    + I think one of the monsters trying to run away from the island when the Avengers arrived was Goom Mom, from the episode "Hunted" of the Agents of SMASH.
    + "Your ant's senses are tingling?". Very funny Hawkeye. Ant-Man has no relation with Spider-Man, just like ants do not associate with spiders.
    + It surprised me the shared story between Hawkeye and Ant-Man in the Circus of Crime. I think it's based on Hawkeye's relationship with his own brother, Trickshot.
    + It surprises me that the Red Skull has kept his youth from the Time Stone's episode, even when all the other effects of the stone were reverted. Maybe is because he was far away enough to avoid the cancellation of the effect after escaping?
    + It surprises me that Red Skull knows Thanos will return, but I guess it's true, considering they told us that we would see the Black Order in this season.
    + I wonder what kind of deal Red Skull made with Dormammu, but something tells me that we will discovered it in future episodes.
    + I didn't know that Monster Island was Hulk's favourite "vacation spot", especially when he didn't seem too happy when he land-crashed on it in his series.
    + I wonder how the barrier on Monster Island will disappear in the future, because it can stays. I mean, it's clear that in the Agents of SMASH's episode, the barrier had already gone.
    + The ending was really funny. I was wondering where Hulk's crystal figures were after the Avengers Tower was destroyed by Ultron. So I hope they won't make this mistake again.

Well, what do you think?

4. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Marble

I thought that was just a little joke.

Dr. Strange probably got called in to deal with this one. Dormammu stuff all seems to be his bag.

5. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

I know I'm harping on this but... Where the !@#$ is Janet Van Dyne!

6. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Not the worst episode, but had problems.

Hawkeye, already my least favorite member, is annoying petty here. Scott seems like a really cool dude, but Clint just wants to make his life misreble.

Red Skull making a "deal" with Dormammu was vaguely skipped over. Um....details?

Like JoeMabbon said, I reallllly hope they don't cram another Thanos arc in this season - and I'm a huge Thanos fan! The show needs to try different types of plots, and not keep re-using the same beats.

7. Bit Cloud

Bit Cloud Member

I know right, if feels so wrong to have Ant-Man on the team, but not Wasp. They're usually join around the same time in a lot of other continuities, so it's something that most of us are used to seeing. So it not happening this time feels so wrong and leaves us with a feeling of incompleteness. Also Widow is the only !@#$ female member its a total sausage fest. Avengers Earths Mightiest Heroes and the awful Avengers United They Stand didn't have this problem.

8. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

Really loved this episode. A lot of development for Ant-Man and also his relationship with the team. The shared connection with Hawkeye was a great way to develop both characters and learn more about them. Hawkeye can be stubborn and a hothead quite a bit, but in the end he sees that Lang is a good dude. Wouldn't have minded some flashbacks of their past together though.

9. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Janet's probably in limbo so long as we don't have clear idea about MCU Wasp. And even then, if we get her at all, she'll probably end up being Hope Van Dyne considering how they've handled Ant-Man by combining Hank and Scott together :ack:.

10. Sockie

Sockie Member

It'd feel weird if this was Hank without Wasp, but it's not. It's Scott, and he's never had much of a connection to the Wasp. Making him have the same relationship with Jan that Hank does would be... awkward. I'd actually like it more if it were Hope instead.

11. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

Even though there's basically no detail at all that makes him Scott aside from the name I guess they can't show his daughter since that would mean another female character as well.

12. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Marble

That, and it would "age" the character. It's sad, but I don't think this show could handle parenthood. It's the same reason we'll probably never see Clint with a family, despite the show's connection to the movies.

13. Capt. Speedbump

I thought this episode was… meh. It didn’t annoy me 2% as much as the Ultimate Spider-Man episode a few weeks back, but I felt there were just some weak spots (which some other posters have already pointed out):
    1. So, we’re going to Monster Island and the main bad guy is…. The Red Skull? For like the 12[SUP]th[/SUP] or 13[SUP]th[/SUP]time? C’mon, at least give us the Mole Man.
    2. It’s time for another “lesson” episode. Will Hawkeye learn to stop being a jerk and accept his new teammate?
    3. Not one, but two instances of telling, not showing:

a. Hawkeye and Ant-Man talk about their past with the Circus of Crime. There really should have been a flashback here, not just exposition. It’s animation, there needs to be more than talking.
    b. Red Skull’s deal with Dormammu. Again, more offscreen antics. When stuff happens, it really does help if the audience sees it.

Other than that, I guess the episode was OK. Still good that we have some newness with Ant-Man, although I hope the show doesn’t wear him out soon.

#13 Capt. Speedbump, May 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  14. Anubhav Kumar

Anubhav Kumar New Member

Since they without using Hank used Scott and will probably follow the suit of movies to make him an old man, I'm boycotting this show for next month, If they make Hank an old man, I'll not watch this show at all. Sorry I don't post here, but needed a place to rant.

15. Dustellar

Dustellar Active Member

I'm with you, I hate synergy... and be ready if they choose add Hope Van Dyne/Pym instead Jan Van Dyne.

16. nitwit07man

nitwit07man New Member

I remember back on the forums that people on this site used to hate the new Marvel cartoons so much that they made flash cartoons of Spiderman doing very inappropriate things. XD Nowadays it's like... I'm over the hate. But that's just me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. TheVileOne

Reporter

I don't like this Hope Van Dyne stuff. It never sit well with me that Edgar Wright caused this to happen to Ant-Man.

18. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

Eh. Not everything is like the comics.

CBR confirmed (just in case there was any doubt) Captain Marvel will be Carol and Ms. will be Kamala.

19. McMax

McMax Member

Well being that Ant-Man is Scott that most likely means that the show will follow the movie so Wasp could only be Hope.

And as for Ms.Marvel it seems that she would be a better fit on USM .

20. TheVileOne

Reporter

No not everything is. There is stuff in the comics I don't like. I still don't like Hope Pym/Van Dyne.