1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel's Avengers Assemble "The Dark Avengers" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Feb 1, 2015.

?

Rate and Comment on this "Marvel's Avengers Assemble" episode!

1. *****

16.7%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

66.7%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

16.7%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Check out Avengers Assemble!

[​IMG]
    Marvel's Avengers Assemble "The Dark Avengers"
    Episode Premiere Date - February 1st, 2015
    In a flipped reality, the Avengers discover that their world has been reshaped by the Reality Stone, wielded by the Squadron Supreme, who are the heroes of this new reality, turning the Avengers into the villains.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

2. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

It was pretty awesome that they got Phil LaMarr as Doctor Spectrum. I wasn't able to tell who played Power Princess or Speed Demon, though Speed Demon sounded like Drake Bell (which would be a harsh bit of meta casting).

Guess I'll see when it's on WATCH or Demand.

3. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

Speed Demon was voiced by Jason Spisak, the actor who used to voice Kid Flash in Young Justice. So another nice DC casting gag. Oddly, Zarda was the only one not to fit the joke.

4. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

This was a pretty good episode. The reality gem has got to be the strongest gem. I mean, c'mon! That level of reality warping is insane.

It was fun seeing the heroes as villains. Widow especially had a lot of good "burn" lines.

I hope this isn't the last appearance of the Squadron, though, feels too soon.

5. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

Same here. I think there's still a little room for a clash that gets the most out of the two teams. Geez, an Avengers/Squadron movie could be a lot of fun if Marvel Animation was ambitious enough to put any time, money or effort behind one of those.

6. Medinnus

Medinnus Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

First - the opening 15 seconds were as good as many other complete episodes.

Not just because of the chahuahua.

Did anyone else start playing the AEMH theme as they watched the opening scene? "My world's about to change..."

So... what was Sam Wilson's alt version? "Blue Falcon"?

The Captain uniform has long since been my favorite alt-costume for Rogers.

Len Wein hasn't lost it )

7. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

Glad we finally got a proper animated Squadron Supreme vs. Avengers story. I was happy to see that Captain America was pretty much still himself in the alternate reality. It makes sense.

8. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought this was the best episode in a long time. Enjoyed seeing the Squadron Supreme make a comeback, with even more members this time. The alternate-reality Avengers were all pretty cool though not all of their designs were that great. My favorite was probably Captain America, with his pretty awesome uniform from the comics. Iron Man looked great in black and gold as well. But the others, not so much. Hawkeye's alternate look reminded me of Red Arrow's design from Young Justice. The story was pretty great but it came across as rushed at times. Still, one of the better episodes this show had to offer so far.

9. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Dwarf-in-a-flask

The Squadron Supreme are better antagonists than the Cabal ever were. I'm really digging Nighthawk's simmering contempt for his teammates. Jason Spisak as Speed Demon was also an inspired bit of casting. Even Hyperion's getting better characterization akin to his debut, rather than the dumb brute he became when joined with Red Skull.

This episode definitely had shades of "Planet Doom" and since that was one of the better episodes I'm not complaining. They even patched up my biggest complaint with that episode (the heroes changing sides very quickly at the end) by having some of the Avengers remain a little morally dubious up until reality was restored while giving an explanation as to why they could radically change and become heroic. The fight scenes are also getting better. There are some groan worthy lines, but all in all a fine episode. I think the show is definitely benefitting from this long-term story arc, even if it is just a MacGuffin hunt.

10. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

Dark Hawkeye's costume looked pretty similar to the original design they used in USM.

Screenshot_2015-02-03-18-13-06.jpg Screenshot_2015-02-03-18-15-16.jpg

Did anyone else think of Crisis On Two Earths when Nighthawk began his attack with the jet?

Screenshot_2015-02-03-17-57-57.jpg Screenshot_2015-02-03-18-00-46.jpg

11. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

IS it just me, or did Widow kind'a look like Harley Quinn with her face?

12. Ultra8

Ultra8 Now all I/You can do

On the one hand we finally get the Squadron past 3 members, also Speed Demon (sweet!), Cap in the "Captain/USAgent" costume and the easy to forget note that using the Reality gem without the other five is disasterous. But on the other hand:sad: the episode felt rushed, the other alternate costumes felt lazy(like that Owlman episode of Batman: TB&TB) and while the fight was better than usual it still felt like little effort was put into making the Squadron actually threatening.

I did enjoy the casting gags.:D

#12 Ultra8, Feb 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2015
  13. spyke

spyke Well-Known Member

This was a pretty good episode.

14. Christopher Glennon

Christopher Glennon Punch Drunk Flounder
    Staff Member Reporter

I was a bit confused at the beginning because I thought that was a flashback and they were going to explain how Hyperion, Nighthawk, and the others got to our reality, but then it turned out that was our reality and they were just altering it. So, uh, where did the Squadron Supreme come from originally, then?

I did enjoy seeing all of them, although Spectrum got punked throughout the episode, at least he was most useful with the Realty Gem. The fights were cool, and there was a greater sense of danger in that they were tired of fighting the Avengers and they wanted to kill them. Even Iron Man blowing up was an "Uh-oh" moment.

Captain America and Iron Man (plus Hulk with his mohawk) were the best designs, they could've gotten a bit more creative with the others.

It all depends on how you use it. "Power" and "Soul" can be ridiculous too.

Heh, yeah. At least until the Justice League theme song got stuck in my head.

She looked like Winter Soldier to me, oddly.

15. ernesth100

ernesth100 Member

Anyone else smile when everyone was struggling to put the Tower back into place; And Hulk just jumped up there like a boss and pushed it back?
    I don't know Hulk's strength amazes me sometimes.