1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel's Avengers Assemble "Terminal Velocity" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by Stu, Jul 5, 2015.

?

Rate this episode

1. *****

33.3%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

33.3%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

33.3%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Stu

Stu Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
    Staff Member Administrator

Check out Marvel's Avengers !

[​IMG]
    Marvel's Avengers Assemble "Terminol Velocity"
    Episode Premiere Date - July 5th, 2015
    The Squadron Supreme's fastest member Speed Demon is on the loose and wreaking havoc throughout Avengers Tower. Hulk must save the day by fighting the high velocity villain.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

2. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

Well fight with Hyperion at the beginning was pretty good.

They're seriously still running this cookies and milk joke into the ground!
    It's not funny four year olds don't even find this funny!

Just had to put up with two whole seasons of terrible of a Hulk show really couldn't care less if he got more attention on this show.
    Is the Hulk energy thing from the comics because sounds like a bunch of fooey?

And obvious message we learn at the end of every episode that will never be drilled into the heads of our heroes TEAMWORK.

Still no rise in quality.

3. Capt.Traphouse

Capt.Traphouse Sexiest Thing Since Sex

My dude, I'm not gonna lie, I can't find the brand of haterade you're drinking. Lol jk, love you.

All fight scenes were better than anything before imo. When Hulk punched Hyperion into the air, followed him into the air to punch him twice and then punched him to the ground, that was godlike. That was straight out of DBZ. Hyperion bodied Thor, it was so one-sided. That was like a football player punching a toddler, I thought Thor was about it but he wasn't. Nighthawk and his SS force are starting to scare me, two dudes handles 8 Avengers. Gotta give Ant-Man props, he is the only Avenger other than Hulk and Iron-man who didn't just exist to get bodied today. He put the bugs on Hyperion, rode a seagull and used his giant form intelligently, I was really impressed.

The plot thickens, Squadron Supreme has new powers and Hyperion had a point, last time they fought, SS almost unexisted the Avengers, that was real and I'm excited to see more. Hyperion was using never before seen powers, Speed Demon had a speed belt that made him even faster and Speed Demon did a number on Hulk. I actually liked how they showed that Hulk was struggling for the most of the episode, trying to not explode and trying to communicate with his team, it made for a more gripping narrative.

We got an intelligent Hulk for an episode who actually uses tactics and his knowledge of science to his advantage, I loved him tricking Speed Demon into the Speed Nullifier or whatever and him using the Gamma meltdown to take out Hyperion was genius.

Jokes don't bother me since they're much less prominent than season 1 and I also thought Thor's reaction was a little funny. Hulk's gamma energy has been an addition to the show, I don't know if it is from the comics but I like it. They've used it intelligently like when it helped the Avengers beat Dracula.

I'm feeling Speed Demon. He's like a jerk version of Sonic the Hedgehog lol.

Overall, if this is a starter episode for things to come, I am very excited. Villains who actually level grind and upgrade always interest me and ever since JL, I've always been a fan of a superhero team fighting a fascist superhero team from another universe/dimension/planet/whatever.

#3 Capt.Traphouse, Jul 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
  4. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Pretty decent episode. I thought the scenes with Hyperion were far more entertaining than Hulk's plot, though. The action was pretty nice, at least the short fights with Hyperion, at the start and towards the end. The way the story ended, with Nighthawk advancing his plan was kind of neat, but predictable. Setting up the inevitable return of the Squadron Supreme, hope that won't disappoint. Their previous appearances have been pretty great, but this episode was underwhelming.

The writing for Hulk on this show has probably been the most inconsistent. I doubt Tony's realization at the end that he should listen to Hulk more often will stick, and we'll most likely have to go through this same story again to make it clearer. The way Hulk absorbed the energy and became a bomb didn't make much sense but it was a decent idea, I guess, just wasn't explained enough. I don't know if it's something that comes directly from the comics or not, but they could have saved more time to explain things better.

After being absent - or at least toned down - for a number of episodes, the childish humor returns. The milk and cookies gag was completely unnecessary and just added to the inconsistency with Hulk's character in this episode. Plus, Ant-Man's lame attempts at ant related puns, which I'm kind of glad Tony pointed out, though he's not that much better when it comes to one-liners. A decent, but kind of mean-spirited, continuity nod with Hawkeye not liking Ant-Man that much. Hopefully that won't happen each time these two share screen-time.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought this was a relatively good episode, if not especially remarkable, which isn't too surprising considering we're not deep into a Thanos or Ultron storyline and is at least a step up from most season one episodes ;).

It was nice seeing Iron Man trying to act like a better leader in this episode, considering this season and the Ultron storyline (setting aside how bad he was in season one) have hammered in how much work he needs in that area, and giving Hulk a chance to be more than just a big, destructive, weapon that he was working for SHIELD. Though kinda ironic for it to come after the Agents of SMASH two-parter, where he and the rest of the Avengers learned the exact same thing, only this time with a Hulk who 98% of the time is only really good at smashing. Sure, he can occasionally be smart and tactical, but considering how childish and belligerent he generally is, I can't fault anyone for generally not taking his ideas into consideration or believing he's just there to smash stuff :rolleyes:.

Were Ant-Man's ant puns bad? Yes. But the team's reaction to his jokes, especially Hawkeye, gave me a good chuckle. It's not like anyone else on this show is a master of wit anyways :p.

It's cool to be able to take Hyperion seriously as a major threat again, even if part of it is through Nighthawk's guidance, as he pretty much holds his own against all the Avengers at once and doing a fairly effective job against them. Especially for someone with Superman's powers. Ant-Man couldn't beat him as Giant-Man, so he had to distract him with ants, and Hulk needed a super-speed boost to hold his own. Hope they can keep Hyperion at this level in his future appearances as well :cool:.

I thought Speed Demon was quite fun in this episode, especially when paired against the Hulk and constantly messing with him. He's definitely got the humor, patience, and fun-loving of a Flash, especially one voiced by Jason Spisak :).

Seeing the two mess things up in the tower while stuck in the Speed For...I mean, Speed Time, was interesting as the two sped and crashed throughout the tower. It was also neat seeing someone get the drop on Hulk so much and really irritate him, and then the turnaround as Hulk outran Speed Demon. I was curious about Speed Demon's power upgrade, which was handily explained via a device from Nighthawk, and I wonder if Nighthawk could rebuild the device so Speed Demon can get his strength and speed upgrade back? Coupled with all that information the Squadron now has on The Avengers, without their knowing, and that would put the team at a severe disadvantage :eek:.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #5 Frontier, Jul 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  6. bigdaddy313

bigdaddy313 Well-Known Member

Man go Hyperion.

They should really stop that nonsense of Hulk chasing Hawkeye it's getting old, and it's making Hawkeye look like an idiot rather than the cheeky Hawkeye we know and love that EMHS got perfectly, Steven Wacker should know that.

Other than that the episode was fun and interesting especially knowing that it's a 4 part story arc that was build from episode 6 called "Nighthawk".

The fight scenes where kool and Hyperion was boss, but I want Thor to be more effective and powerful, even if I know it was leading up to Hulk vs Hyperion with more powerful build up Gamma energy.

And man I really really really HATE with a passion the coloring art style of this show, it's too dull and boring.

Just imaging if it was colored like Ultimate Spider-Man season one, we could have gotten Young Justice quality in our hands especially in this episode cause it was well animated.

Even the recent Batman Unlimited is more beautiful than this and it's unfortunate because Marvel Animation is under Disney which means they have access to the best technology equipment available.

7. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I actually really liked this episode, especially from an action standpoint. The Hyperion fight at the beginning was surprisingly intense, and the ensuing speed fights between Hulk and Speed Demon did a surprisingly good job at showing off their speed, something Assemble can't always convincingly do. But yeah, Thor really should have looked much better.

The writing was still mediocre, but man. Assemble hasn't wowed me with action like this in a while.

If anything, the Squadron looked too good here. Just two members were enough to cripple the whole team!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

Secret base in a mountain with an ending revealing the villains actually succeeded in there plan, can't help but wonder if that supposed to be a homage to Young Justice.

9. Capt.Traphouse

Capt.Traphouse Sexiest Thing Since Sex

Thank you, that is my only real criticism. They made Thor look borderline incompetent in this episode, he's fought and beat Hyperion before, he shouldn't have been beaten and frozen so easily. The dude fights Frost Giants for fun lol.

10. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Dwarf-in-a-flask

Hyperion's fight at the beginning of the episode was excellent as was Speed Time. Everything else was just okay. I'll reevaluate if any of the new developments actually stick or get off the ground.