1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel's Avengers Assemble "Spectrums" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Jul 12, 2015.

?

Rate and Comment on this Episode!

1. *****

50.0%
  2. ****1/2

25.0%
  3. ****

25.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Check out an all-new episode of Marvel's Avengers Assemble, today on DisneyXD!

[​IMG]
    Marvel's Avengers Assemble "Spectrums"
    Episode Premiere Date - July 12th, 2015
    Now that he's an Avenger, Ant-Man "cleans his ledger" by bringing down bad guys that he's previously built tech for. However, his quest for redemption forces other Avengers to face the burdens of their past and when they discover Dr. Spectrum is on Ant-Man's ledger, the Avengers are forced to face one of the most powerful members of the Squadron Supreme before he destroys the world.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

#1 James Harvey, Jul 12, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
  2. trance2009

trance2009 Fun to play with not to eat

So they gave Pym"s pacifist nature to Lang.

Sent from my XT1028 using Tapatalk

3. Capt.Traphouse

Capt.Traphouse Sexiest Thing Since Sex

First Young Justice and now in Avengers Assemble, Aqualad has a bad tendency of being forced into evil roles. ;)

Great episode, I liked how the Avengers split up, both of them did hypercompetent things and them fighting their fears was surprisingly cool way.

Loved the Doc Spectrum fight and how it was resolved. Surprised the Avengers didn't ask Doctor Spectrum about Nighthawk's plan but meh.

Surprised the Power Prism turned into Doctor Spectrum after being dumped by him but meh.

4. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Dwarf-in-a-flask

I'd like to see how Bill got in contact with Scott in the first place. I imagine he would have gone behind Nighthawk's back. Other than that, Doctor Spectrum was an interesting take on the "evil Justice League" concept that Squadron Supreme has been knocking around. He really only appeared once before this and it was already implied that he was bullied into working with the rest of the team, as opposed to Speed Demon and Power Princess who were clearly enjoying themselves. The twist was well executed and the drama fairly compelling, though Thor's Loki guilt has already worn out its welcome.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

Well that was pretty bad

First instead of having Cassie or Janet Scott has to have the same old villain redemption backstory, now half the people on this team have the same backstory

The fight with Spectrum started off good until it started lingering and the did the predictable face your fears cliche.

Also Spectrum Black he's never been black in the comics? Is it because he's voiced by Phil Lamarr? In that case why isn't Speed Demon White?

6. Capt.Traphouse

Actually dude, the first Doctor Spectrum was a black dude, he was Ugandan.

Speed Demon? Idk.

7. Bit Cloud

Bit Cloud Member

Its like what many have been saying since day one, the Avengers Assemble's version of Ant-Man is Hank Pym in all except name. Hopefully his daughter is at least mentioned next season.

8. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what exactly you're talking about but the original Doctor Spectrum was black in the comics.

[​IMG]

I'm also not sure what you're talking about with Speed Demon since he looked white.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. bigdaddy313

bigdaddy313 Well-Known Member

The episode wasn't bad actually it was quite good and no Hank Pym felt different from this guy in Earth's mightiest he is nothing close to a pacifist he was just sure that Spectrum was a good guy.

Whirlwind gets a new armor, that's kool.

And yes the whole cliche thing kind of sucked.

#9 bigdaddy313, Jul 12, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
  10. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I liked this episode. The dialogue could have been better, and the Hulk again acted too childish, but the story was still pretty entertaining. Doctor Spectrum was a decent adversary - I admit I don't know much about him from the comics, and considering this was only his second appearance on the show, his background isn't exactly revealed. But I think the basics were mentioned, at least enough to explain he's not really a villain, and was only forced into doing some evil stuff by the other members of the Squadron Supreme (mostly Nighthawk). Pretty good stuff.

Ant-Man was handled pretty well here, with some of his past revealed. It's nothing spectacular but at least they're trying to develop him some more. Considering some of the main characters aren't really that well developed after so many episodes, this was pretty nice to see. The characters mentioned on his list of super-villains he has sold tech to will probably appear in future episodes. I'm not really in any rush to see any of them, but adding some new villains on the show can't hurt.

The action scenes were staged pretty well this time. The fight with Doctor Spectrum was pretty cool, and I liked that not all the Avengers attacked him at once since that would have probably made it less enjoyable. The twist that Spectrum's power Prism was the true "villain" was neat. Though predictable, the "worst nightmares" battles for the Avengers were handled well enough. I especially liked Captain America's.

Actually Captain America asked him about that before they started fighting. He might have asked him again afterwards but chances are he doesn't even know what Nighthawk is really planning.

And I'm not sure I understand the Aqualad comparison.

11. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought this episode was really good! Wow, two in a row.

The action was animated really well (loved the bright colors used for Spectrum's attacks), there was certainly some emotional stuff here (all the heroes forced to confront things they'd buried deep inside), and even gave one of the villains some backstory (being forced to blow up a whole planet - surprisingly heavy stuff for this show).

Once again though, I have to wonder how the Avengers thin they can beat the Squadron. That's like three members now who could crush the heroes.

12. Capt.Traphouse

B

Bad joke about how they look similar.

13. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought this was a very good and enjoyable episode of Assemble, even better than the last one, so here's hoping the Squadron Supreme focused episodes can maintain this quality ;).

The intro with Whirlwind was nice, especially with his cool new design, and I'd be all for seeing him pop up again. It was also nice to see Ant-Man facing off against a traditional Ant-Man villain, and the namedropping of Egghead :D.

So The Circus of Crime weren't the only villains Scott supplied technology with, though apparently still under the impression that he wasn't actually working with Supervillains, but kinda dubious that he's only dealing with them now that he's an Avenger. You'd think he'd be busy trying to clean up the mess he made like he did with the Circus, but doing it now just seems like he's saving face with the team. But at least we got a nice listing of villains from Scott, including Madame X, The Hood, and Purple Man surprisingly enough, and I really hope we get to see them show up in the show eventually :cool:.

A reference to having "red in your ledger" from Black Widow? Hey, a movie reference! Haven't had one of those in a while :p.

Having the team split up for separate missions to gain an advantage on the Squadron was cool, and both teams held their own in their respective mission (Hulk still being Hulk though). It was also nice to see Widow with her hair up :).

I did also think Scott's trying to reason with Bill/Dr. Spectrum and holding off the rest of the team was evocative of Hank from EMH and his attempts to reform criminals not with violence but through talking to them. It was probably not intentional, and Bill was probably a special case since Scott knew him on a more personal level, but considering what else Scott's lifted from Hank it's still kinda hard to watch :(.

But speaking of Dr. Spectrum, he was one of the best and most impressive parts of the episode. His fight with The Avengers was action-packed and contained some impressive visuals, especially with how Spectrum utilized his prism powers. Once again, one member of the Squadron is able to overpower half of The Avengers and almost beat them, proving just how deadly they are. Somehow I doubt the Avengers will be lucky enough to have the new Dr. Spectrum be weaker now that it's separated from its human host :eek:.

Spectrum forcing the Avengers to fight their greatest fears was interesting, if predictable, element of the episode. Thor's was obvious, and yet another Loki appearance, but honestly I thought this was the best use of Loki in the entire series. It was also nice to see Winter Soldier pop up for Cap. I would've thought Arsenal or Howard would make more sense for Tony's fear than just specifically Ultron, but Ultron reminding Tony of all his mistakes worked well enough. Though were Bucky and Ultron voiced by their original VA's? I wasn't sure, and I think Fred Tatasciore was Ultron here instead of Jim Meskimen o_O.

Though I think the best, and most surprising aspect of Spectrum's use in the episode was the sympathetic backstory and element to his character that were revealed. It gave him a lot more depth and provided a different type of conflict than what the show usually delves in, which was a refreshing change from the usual villains, and it was nice to see that not all of the Squadron are just irredeemable bad guys (well, were as the case is now).
    Well, I wouldn't say he looks white, but I guess you could say he has a pretty good tan if he's intended to be:
    [​IMG]

14. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

I liked that they showed there were other sides to Doctor Spectrum and that Billy Roberts was actually a more benevolent character. Unfortunately, the Power Prism has taken on a life of its own and become the new Doctor Spectrum.