1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel's Avengers Assemble "Small Time Heroes" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by Stu, Apr 26, 2015.

?

Rate this episode

1. *****

20.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

20.0%
  4. ***1/2

20.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

20.0%
  8. *1/2

20.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 0

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Stu

Stu Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
    Staff Member Administrator

Check out Marvel's Avengers Assemble!

[​IMG]
    Marvel's Avengers Assemble "Small Time Heroes"
    Episode Premiere Date - April 26, 2015
    Following the destruction of Avengers Tower, the Avengers are divided into two different teams. Tony seeks help from Ant-Man when it comes to dealing with A.I.M.'s latest attack.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

2. trance2009

trance2009 Fun to play with not to eat

I like that they kept the hatred Hawkeye has for Pym from the books.

3. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

Shield messes up on a weekly basis having there hellicarriers take a plunge just as often, and some how Stark's Avengers are a threat for creating damage despite always getting the job done.
    Either Nick Fury is a skrull, a member of hydra or Shield is just really that incompetent.

Also Thor's annoying, Hawkeye's annoying and Stark is annoying at least Antman is kind of okay. When did he have a Brooklyn Accent AI though?

4. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

In the context of this universe...they probably really are that incompetent :p.

5. BigEclipse

BigEclipse Member

Titania was so underutilized in this episode it was almost criminal. She's quite literally the strongest woman in the world and she spent most of the time blocking with the car door or cowering behind rubble as a powerless Hawkeye fired arrows. She was even taken out off-screen. Gender neutrality must not exist in this universe. I half expected her to bring Creel a cold beverage or wipe the sweat from his brow as he fought.

6. ShadowBlinky

ShadowBlinky Never A Good Bot

When she called herself this in a comic, Johnny Storm said he can think of at least ten women who might disagree.:)

7. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Marble

I actually had to rewind a couple of times just to figure out what happened to her. I thought she just disappeared from the episode.

Honestly, watching Tony and his blowhards flop around disparately was pretty funny. Probably the funniest this show has ever been. Ant-man was pretty great too.

I thought Cap's Avengers having matching uniforms was a nice touch. Seeing the first hints of a conflict with SHIELD was even better.

Offscreen Defeats: 5
    Desperate Egotists: 9
    Ant-Man: 9 (Joey was odd, though)
    MODOK's Transformation: Ummmm...
    Splitting the Team: May have been overdue. The episode definitely benefited from having a smaller set of heroes to work with.

Final Grade: C+

8. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Wow, the worst episode in a while. The writers are making Iron Man and his crew look hopelessly incompetent. Also, Hawkeye seems to have dialed up his annoying dialogue; complaining about Thor flying with him, complaining about Ant-Man, complaining about flying on an ant, and complaining about MODOK's ear wax (stay classy, show).

Also, considering that this episode is part of the Ultron arc, there was decidedly little....Ultron.

9. strugler

strugler Member

Sigh!

I am at loss of words. After a decent 2 eps from this ultron story arc, we are back at the juvenile writing of Season 1.

The bad:

- Hawkeye is 10x more annoying than usual
    - Ant-Man never referred to as Pym or Lang. Somehow i feel the episodes were created with Pym being antman, but due to the movie using Lang they just removed Pym's name from it and dance around it.
    - Where is ultron?
    - Hulk wearing a shield suit????
    - Why did Iron Man became so tech incompetent all of a sudden?
    - Modok again, and why does he want to be a giant monster again?

The good:

I had so much hope for these eps as Wacker is now involved, but i do not see a big improvement. Hopefully thing will got he Guardians of The Galaxy route with writing and animation in the near future. At this point, i believe they need to rebrand the show for season 3, with new art style and animation to bring more viewers in. Especially if they want to dub this next phase "Phase 2".

10. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

This was a pretty funny episode. All of the jokes worked really well.

MODOK's plan was hysterically stupid though. XD

Anyone notice they reused a sound clip of Tony's "Yaahh!" grunt when MODOK stepped on him? I can't remember the episode that was originally from.

11. Capt. Speedbump

In my opinion, I thought this episode was... OK. There was some decent action, Ant-Man was good to have around, interesting to see MODOK's transformation.

It wasn't perfect by any means, but the problems I had with this episode are basically just the problems I have with the series as a whole(Tony being boastful, then getting hubris; some of Hawkeye's complaining got annoying; classic villains used as first-few-minutes fodder, etc.). So I can't criticize this episode too much on its own, since its issues are series-wide, not episode-specific.

At least it legitimately felt like an episode of Avengers Assemble, and not a repurposed first-season Ultimate Spider-Man episode.

#11 Capt. Speedbump, Apr 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2015
  12. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

Hawkeye had my favorite line this week, "This is all of us. We're...already assembled." Also liked that he was flirting with the SHIELD agent after helping her out.

I assume in terms of continuity this episode probably takes place before we meet Titania and Absorbing Man in prison in Hulk and the Agents of SMASH. I recall they were a couple there too.

Also an animated appearance by reporter Megan McLaren, who was created by Mark Bagley and Kurt Busiek in the Thunderbolts comics. That was a fun Easter Egg appearance. Her banter with Iron Man was great, "No one likes a backseat driver Megan."

MODOK's new form was kind of nasty. I enjoyed the fight, did a good job of showing how Ant-Man can be useful as a hero as well as his ant friends.

Hulk's new SHIELD uniform was cool.

13. TheUnderMiner

TheUnderMiner Member

So, was Ant-Man Pym or Lang? They never said either by name. The referenced the Pym Particles and that Ant-Man was a scientist so it was implied he was Pym. Seemed weird not to say either way.

14. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Probably because, as much as this Ant-Man seemed like Pym in his cartoon appearances, at the time these were made the cartoon staff likely didn't know who would be Ant-Man in the movies and MCU so they deliberately left it ambiguous as to whether it's Pym or Lang so as to not create confusion or do something that would contradict the MCU version.

Setting aside the disparity between the two versions of Falcon of course :shrug:.

15. McMax

McMax Member

I wonder why Thor went with Iron Man. Thor and Steve have had a close friendship in the comics for years.

16. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Marble

Putting the whole Magic vs Science argument aside, Tony and Thor have a lot in common. Both are gifted heirs living in the shadows of their powerful fathers and both suffer a major setback that humbles them enough to become true heroes. Thor is also more fun-loving and unsophisticated in this incarnation than he often is, so I can see him falling under Iron Man's freewheeling sway.

17. Christopher Glennon

Christopher Glennon Punch Drunk Flounder
    Staff Member Reporter

Hawkeye and his annoyingness were really the only parts of the episode that didn't work for me (looting Cap's room? Really?). I liked the rest of it, particularly Ant-Man (it's gotta be Hank Pym who else would name an ant "Euclid"?). MODOK was bizarre, but at least the way they beat him was inventive.

I guess the ruined tower is supposed to symbolize the ruined team, and the same can be said for Tony's armor. Damaged and disassembled, it doesn't work like it used to.

Without someone like Black Widow or She-Hulk to trade blows with, Titania couldn't really join the battle under the rules of this universe. Speaking of lack of female character screentime, I'm sad we never get any Wasp alongside Ant-Man when he appears.

All good points. That and Thor is loyal to his comrades, and in his eyes, Cap and the others are deserters while Iron Man keeps the headquarters and the name Avengers. Thor respects the true idea of the team and stays with it. At the end I almost thought Fury was going to call Cap's team "Secret Avengers" or something like that.