1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel's Avengers Assemble "Nighthawk" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Nov 9, 2014.

?

Rate and Comment on "Marvel's Avengers Assemble"

1. *****

14.3%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

14.3%
  5. ***

28.6%
  6. **1/2

28.6%
  7. **

14.3%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

The second season of Avengers Assemble continues on Disney XD!

[​IMG]
    Marvel's Avengers Assemble "Nighthawk"
    Episode Premiere Date - November 9th, 2014
    When a mysterious new villain uses the individualized counter measures Falcon created when he was at S.H.I.E.L.D. to take out the Avengers one by one, he must figure out a way to save his team.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

2. trance2009

trance2009 Fun to play with not to eat

I actually liked this one as it gave some insight into Falcon and his role. I assumed Widow or Stark would be the ones with countermeasures though.

3. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

I've always been annoyed by Falcon's role and this episode basically turned him into a Gary-Stu.

4. BigEclipse

BigEclipse Member

Finally got my answer as to whether or not Batman could take down the Avengers... Really enjoyed this one.

5. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

Despite earlier complaint I'm glad to see they're contributing to an overarching plot that hasn't been done before, hopefully we see the entire Squadron Supreme,

6. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Marble

Shield contingency plans, now that's the paranoid Shield I know and love. I like how everyone blames Falcon when Fury was the one who ordered the plans and then let them get loose.

This was the first episode that actually made me laugh. Drunk Hulk was kinda hilarious, I wish that had been mined for comedy before now.

Glad to see the Infinity Stones back in the spotlight and the prospect of a team of anti-Avengers also has quite a bit of potential.

I can't say I'm in love with the actual episode's story arc. Falcon feels like he's being taken for granted, even though he seems to have an important role in pretty much every episode. In fact, the only time he's been put on crowd control or ignored was in the Impossible Man episode. Its bad enough that they're rehashing a plot, but they're inventing a problem just so they can have Falcon relearn a lesson he already learned. That said, Nighthawk was an interesting villain and his end goal already puts him above most of the other generic evildoers in the Marvel Animated Universe (looking at you Titus).

7. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I liked the episode...but the plot felt heavily borrowed from that famous Justice League story, the one that JL Doom was based on. It was a bit distracting.

Nighthawk was very cool, though.

8. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

I think the writers seriously jumped the gun and ended up with a version of Falcon who is nothing like the movies or even the comics, and as a result have no idea what to do with him. It's a pretty blaring problem throughout the show.

9. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

I liked Nighthawk's plan, which made sense as it started. He took out Hulk and Thor first, the team's two strong and heaviest hitters. I also like that he quickly escaped from SHIELD with a great line, "I'm always one step ahead."

Looking forward to the Avengers full on facing the Squadron Supreme. I wonder if destroying his home planet was his idea. He seems sociopathic enough to go through with it.

10. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I liked this episode. Nighthawk was pretty awesome and it was neat how they connected him with Hyperion, and alluded to the re-forming of the Squadron Supreme. As for the Falcon plot, well it was handled pretty well. The various contingency plans to take down the Avengers were pretty well thought out (even if some of them resulted in some pretty silly moments). Falcon's role on the team is addressed again and doesn't really get a satisfying resolution but it works I guess. It might be interesting to see the direction they take Falcon on this show, that is if they actually try and develop him some more. All in all, a pretty great episode.

11. bigdaddy313

bigdaddy313 Well-Known Member

Haha Knighthawk is Marvel's impersonation of Batman and he is voiced by Beware the Batman, that is soooo funny.

I am actually very curious on the fight between the Avengers and the Squadron Supreme.

12. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

They should try to get Susan Eisenberg and Phil LaMar to voice Power Princess and Doctor Spectrum.

13. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

She already did it for Super Hero Squad so why not? I wonder if the Flash analog would be Whizzer or Speed Demon, since Golden Age Whizzer is supposed to show up on USM.

14. Ultra8

Ultra8 Now all I/You can do

It was an okay episode if a bit meh. One thing I've realized about this series is even when it has good episodes the results are still going to be mixed bags due to awkward dialogue, rushed moments or poor humor(don't even get me started on animation, some of these designs and facial expressions just don't look right when animated).

Pros:
    Nighthawk
    Some of the contingencies Falcon came up with
    Nighthawk's parting words and the look on Nick's face when he broke out of his cell :D
    It being implied that we're heading towards a Squadron Supreme/Sinister reunion

Cons:
    The other Infinity Stones are conviently scattered across earth(if that's the case why was Thanos only interested in the one the Skull stole?)
    It feels like the writers don't really know what to do with Falcon aside from audience surrogate:sweat:

Honestly the one thing I hold this show over Ultimate Spider-Man's first two seasons was awkwardness aside they at least had some kind of plan they were building towards, while UltSp felt like they were trying to do 4 different things at once while also adding random stuff chosen via a dartboard.

15. Christopher Glennon

Christopher Glennon Punch Drunk Flounder
    Staff Member Reporter

That distracted me too. Between that and the fact that it reminded me of the Xavier Protocols (Professor X's contingencies to take down the X-Men), it didn't exactly feel like an Avengers story. Also, Falcon's character seems to be bouncing around too much depending on how the episode depicts him. Where's the Falcon that is being mentored by Captain America?

Nighthawk was cool, though, loved the ending, and am really looking forward to the Squadron Supreme.

16. Medinnus

Medinnus Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, historically the "Big Four" of the Squadron Supreme are:

Nightwing (Batman analog)
    Hyperion (Superman analog)
    Whizzer (Flash analog)
    Dr. Spectrum (Green Lantern analog)

Unfortunately, the Nighthawk version is really played as an inferior-grade Batman; the takedown plans aren't his, and he showed no strategic or tactical intelligence - in short, the writers wrote him like a complete idiot. If Hyperion was at hand, why use him to break out of the SHIELD prison after the fight? He would have done better in the main assault once Thor was dimension-hopping, and Hulk asleep; he could have torn Stark out of the armor, and crushed the others with relative ease.

If it was so easy to summon the members of the Squadron Supreme, why didn't he summon them before the attack? I can only assume that there is a special comm on the Hyperion ship; but that said, if he was a real Batman-like character, there wouldn't be only one comm device.

Known members of the Squadron Supreme (from Hyperion's flashback in his origin episode) include Hyperion, Power Princess, Nighthawk, Whizzer, and Doctor Spectrum.

Clearly Hyperion lied about the Squadron Supreme being killed in the civil war of his home planet; not too big of a surprise. The only real question left for me is are they native to this dimension, or did they flee their alternate dimension - and if so, what made them flee? The Over-Mind?

And of course, if we'll get to see the rest of the Mark Gruenwald-developed team roster:

American Eagle (Hawkman)
    Amphibian (Aquaman)
    Arcanna (Zatanna)
    Golden Archer (Green Arrow)
    Lady Lark (Black Canary)
    Nuke (Firestorm)
    Power Princess (Wonder Woman analog, but with a Captain America-like shield)
    Skrullian Skymaster (Martian Manhunter)
    Tom Thumb (Al Pratt Atom, except genius inventor)

Gruenwald also made analogs of the Batman rogue's gallery, who were also fun - but I doubt they'll do enough with Nighthawk to warrant seeing them.