"Marvel's Avengers Assemble" News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Jun 12, 2012.

1. James Harvey

James Harvey Administrator

Today - on Tuesday, June 12th, 2012 - Marvel Animation has officially announced Marvel's Avengers Assemble is currently in production, and set to debut in 2013. With that announcement comes the this new 'official' discussion thread for the upcoming animated series, along with a promotional image (design work featured not final).

[​IMG]

Stay tuned for further updates on the forthcoming Marvel's Avengers Assemble animated series here soon at Toonzone News!

Comments?

Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion. Keep your posts the thoughtful, relevant and insightful. Do not post any improper or inflammatory material, in addition to conducting yourself in a proper and civilized manner. And please, don't post for just the sake of posting. Have something of worth to add to the conversation. We will issue warnings and infractions if we believe it necessary. Remember, keep discussions ON-TOPIC!

2. Medinnus

Medinnus Moderator

I suppose its too much to ask for Redwing, if they intend on putting the Falcon on the team?

At least the art is in accord with the movie and USM.

[​IMG]

3. dmxx116

dmxx116 Active Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2012
  4. fatherbear

fatherbear New Member

Quesada and Loeb hype AA

TV Guide Magazine: What else is coming from Marvel Animation Studios?
    Jeph Loeb: This was a major step forward for us and it's been a chance to both maintain the creative control that Marvel has been so successful with and at the same time be able to push the boundaries in animation. There are two huge projecta that we're working on. The first, we know the impact that The Avengers had - and continues to have - this summer, and there's one particular character who has been the breakout hit of the summer and he's big and he's green and he's our Incredible Hulk. So we started talking about it and we thought what's more fun than one Hulk? And that would actually be five Hulks! We're taking characters that already exist in the Marvel Universe - because it's very important to us that it all begins with [the comic-book] publishing. That cast is Hulk; the Red Hulk; Skaar, who's the teenage barbarian Hulk, She Hulk - who's actually been a character in the Marvel Universe for 30 years; and a relatively new character, A-Bomb. He's more of a Blue Hulk. And together they are Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H.

Jeph Loeb: Joe had that answer the first day: They're Hulks, it can stand for anything they want it to.
    TV Guide Magazine: And what's the second project?
    Jeph Loeb: The Avengers movie has been the ambassador to the world for the Marvel Universe so we want a show that has the feel and the tone and the incredible adventures like that movie. So the next project that we're working on - and this is down in our lab, top secret, with the S.H.I.E.L.D. agents protecting us at all costs - is Avengers Assemble, which will be a brand new and really extraordinary looking animated series dealing with the Avengers in that same world.

TV Guide Magzine: You already have Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes on the Disney XD. How is this new show going to be different?
    Jeph Loeb: We're still very early on in the process and we don't give away too much. It's safe to say that we're looking at a show that more closely echoes the tone and the feel of the movie.

TV Guide Magazine: Does that mean it will skew towards an older audience?
    Jeph Loeb: No, but it will certainly have that kind of gigantic action and interacting among the characters and their voices that the movie has.

TV Guide Magazine: I understand that the African-American superhero Falcon is going to be a part of this show. Why was he an important addition to the team?
    Joe Quesada: Falcon is going to be the eyes of the viewer. He's a new member of the Avengers so he's walking through our stories wide-eyed and with wonder and amazed to be a part of it. He's a little younger than the rest of the cast and a little greener, so he adds an interesting dimension to the team that we think will play really well with the audience.

TV Guide Magazine: Where are you in terms of finding a network? Since you're part of the Disney empire and you've already had success on Disney XD, that would seem like a logical home for these shows.
    Jeph Loeb: I think the best answer for that would be, "Wouldn't that be fantastic?"

TV Guide Magazine: So even though the Avengers franchise is huge right now, you're comfortable producing these without a network partner lined up?
    Jeph Loeb: We feel comfortable that we will have a home for this.

TV Guide Magazine: What style of animation will you be using for these shows?
    Jeph Loeb: In the same kind of way that Ultimate Spider-Man pushed the boundaries in terms of a unique combination of 2D and CG and using top-flight writers and voice actors, that's what we're looking for. Eric Radomski, who is in charge of production for us, has been involved with such groundbreaking shows as Batman: The Animated Series and Spawn, and every single time there's been a significant leap in the look and tone of action adventure television animation he's been there. We really look to him and our creative people to break down that wall and see what the next level is.

Read more: http://www.seattlepi.com/ae/tv/tvgu...New-Animated-Series-3627426.php#ixzz1xamZuB59

At least he has a history of art design, moody dramatic animation:
    [/TD][/TR]
    EXCERPT
    AA: Batman has proven to be one of the seminal TV shows in animation history. What are you most proud of about your association with that show?
    ER: The live-action movie had done very well and Batman was very much in the limelight, so I guess the biggest effort we made was to stand on our own. We didn't want to just rely on the success of the movie; we wanted to distinguish ourselves not only as [a representation of] the character Batman himself, but as an animated project. It was an opportunity to say we're going to do this differently. Speaks directly to what we just spoke about, artists/producers being involved in a project. I think the biggest accomplishment, whether we set out to do it or not, was that we proved that if artists/producers were allowed to handle a huge franchise show, we could deliver both visually and storywise.

AA: How involved would you be in the actual writing of the show?
    ER: We didn't sit down and write them, but Bruce and I were very involved with a lot of the scripts. We not only pointed out the pitfalls, but also had a strong, secure writer in Alan Burnett to invite us into the process, and invite our opinions in, so that when we had an idea for a sequence in a show, or changes to story, it wasn't about fighting over it, or egos. It was about making it better. I think the ability to bring together the writers and the artists, and the crew in general, was one of the biggest accomplishments with Batman. We eventually created 85 half-hours in the first incarnation of the series, and subsequently they've done Superman and Batman Beyond, and they've held consistent. Really strong narrative and absolutely terrific graphics. It's a wonderful testament to a team working together, which is a rarity in animation.

AA: From a viewer's perspective, there's not really a whole lot to complain about, but from your perspective, if you could go back, what would you improve about the show?
    ER: Without stooping to the levels of using foul language or showing nudity, I think we could have pushed a lot of the elements to a greater degree more adult, and I use that term very loosely because I don't think it has to be blood and guts but I think it has to be real for the audience to buy it. There were a couple episodes that probably spoke truest to the goal that we would have set for ourselves in terms of overall quality. We were fortunate enough to win an Emmy for part one of Robin's Reckoning. It was the back story of the death of Robin's parents, a touching story about a kid losing his parents. That took animated storytelling to a new height because it wasn't about selling toys anymore, and it wasn't about being wacky cooky, and it wasn't about Batman always winning; this was a story about the birth of a superhero, of Robin really making decisions in his life, and it was quite dramatic.

http://www.awn.com/mag/issue5.08/5.08pages/amidiradomski2.php3

5. babykhris

babykhris New Member

My thoughts on the situation

When I heard about the possible cancellation as a fan I was bummed, but I knew exactly what Marvel Animation was doing.

AEMH was Yost & Fine and to continue it without them just wouldn't feel right. We got to FINALLY see Spider-Man on the show. We had interaction with mutants only thing missing was Dr. Strange.

If we get a MCAU i'm ok with that. Besides core Marvel fans who knows most the Marvel mythos? Avengers Assembled can be a launch pad to Disney fans and fans who got into Avengers from the film.

6. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi

Besides the sort of typical interview fluff question and answers there were a couple interesting tidbits in there. Specifically that Falcon will be the rookie and the audience's pov character into the show which I think is interesting and I'm glad Falcon is getting such a significant role. I don't see why the interviewer was so confused about the lack of network partner. Pretty obvious the show will be on Disney XD. From the sounds of things at WonderCon, there were no plans for Marvel to have any type of show on main Disney channel with the exception of maybe some specials here and there.

7. Avengers

Avengers New Member

I just want a real show, not an animated version of the films. You can make some marvel characters resemble there comic book selves and I hope Falcon in particular retains his image in the promo

8. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

So one of the rumor posts (which turned out to be spot on with the stuff revealed here) claimed that Black Panther and Ant-Man would end up joining the team, and they're two characters who are rumored to have movies in the works. I wonder if given that, and the statement about it being similar to the movie, they plan on bringing Falcon in to the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

9. cjeromek

cjeromek Member

I enjoyed the movie but I don't know if I'll enjoy the show. I'm more a fan of long form storytelling rather situation of the day type stuff. I just have to wait and see.

10. babykhris

babykhris New Member

Rumor has it FALCON will be in Cap 2

11. Kumori MC

Kumori MC Member

Hoping that this will be a mature Marvel series is hardly ever an effort of worth. But I will have my hopes up that it at least looks decent.

Also, I am not a fan that Pym and Jan won't be part of the roster.

Falcon I can handle.

Also, Marvin. :marvin:

12. Medinnus

Medinnus Moderator

Meaning no disrespect, those are my favorite parts of your posts... :D

There are some new rumors from the infamous "Agent X":

It sounds like the oft-dismissed opinions of the non-target demographic adult fans are penetrating, and that the new Avengers series might be worth a darn after all. In the immortal words of Kurt Busiek - "Wait and See!"

13. TheVileOne

Fans are going to tune in and see what its about regardless.

14. thisguyisnotcool

thisguyisnotcool New Member

So what happen to the rumor that this show would be on CN

15. AlgeaX

AlgeaX Oh, hello?

Indeed, I am now cautiously optimistic about Avengers Assemble.

16. Alex20

Alex20 New Member

What AgentX said seems to be at odds with what Jeph Loeb said.

TV Guide Magazine: Does that mean it will skew towards an older audience?
    Jeph Loeb: No, but it will certainly have that kind of gigantic action and interacting among the characters and their voices that the movie has.

17. JTMarsh

JTMarsh Wing Commander

Loeb is a moron, plain and simple. If he still doesn't want to aim at as many ages as possible he doesn't deserve the position given to him.

18. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

There's obviously more than just one factor at play here. Avengers: EMH skewed towards a more mature audience and frequently was lauded for having sophisticated writing on par with DC's more infamous shows, and yet it had pretty crappy ratings from what I understand. The remarks about the show needing to pick up more viewers go back a while.

So I could easily see both being true. After all, I don't think anyone objects to Ultimate Spider-Man for skewing young. They object to it for being horribly written. Brave and the Bold showed you can do a bright, colorful show that skews young and still have it well-written and enjoyable for older viewers too.

So I think at this point, even with USM not getting stellar numbers either, I don't think you're gonna see anyone in any official capacity coming out and saying that Assemble is marketed at adults, even if Agent X is truthful and it is being written for older viewers. Because I can very easily see why marketers and such might balk at the idea of a superhero cartoon written for older audiences. Even with Young Justice, Greg Weisman is sure to clarify that their target audience is still children and that he wanted it to be an "all-ages" show that everyone could enjoy, not something specifcally aimed at teens and adults.

19. supergirl's pal

supergirl's pal Give us a SBFF Animated Series

While I welcome the fact that Black Widow will be a full time member of the team, I hope Wasp will show up too. I'll wait to see how I like the show before clamoring for She-Hulk to appear also. Hulk: Agents of SMASH should tide me over anyway. :D

20. TheVileOne

We got a whole show with Wasp as a prominent member of the team. Now it's Black Widow's turn.