1. View our list of the Top 10 Characters That Need a DC Animated Film. Click here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Marvel's Avengers Assemble" News & Discussion Thread, Part 8 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Feb 7, 2017.

1. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Technically the Spider-Man & X-Men shows from the 90s also had 5 Seasons each, but a smaller number of episodes in total.

Avengers Assemble will reach 130 episodes with its 5th Season.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

That's actually pretty depressing, when Justice League went on this long it felt they had covered nearly every corner of the DC Universe but in this show, we barely know anything about half the team.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think they're basically having Black Panther co-opt the series into his own solo cartoon, which I guess saves them the trouble of needing to produce a Black Panther cartoon :p.

But I am pretty thrilled by this news. Not only does it show a lot of faith on Marvel's part on Black Panther as a property, and I love them using "Panther's Quest" as a title, but it's great to see a character get a shot like this and see a new kind of Marvel cartoon :anime:.

I'm looking forward to seeing how they handle adapting Shuri and the mythos in general and what all we'll see in the 26 episodes, especially as far as supporting cast, Rogues, and such :cool:.

Also curious about the voice cast, though I imagine James C. Mathis III will obviously be headlining it as Black Panther :D.

I also hope this is big enough to warrant Disney forking over some moolah for a bigger animation budget. This deserves to look visually distinctive and great ;).

And Geoffrey Thorne as a showrunner is a great start, creative-wise :proud:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Marvel/DCfan

Marvel/DCfan Active Member

If it's only going to be about black panther why not just call it black panther instead of avengers assemble panthers quest?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, it sounds like The Avengers will be playing a supporting role from the description...

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. thisguyisnotcool

thisguyisnotcool Active Member

Well dang Marvel Animation really doesn't wanna commit to a solo hero project. XD

• Like Like x 2
  7. macattack

macattack I see you!
    Staff Member Reporter

This basically illustrates the flaws in Avengers Assemble in the starkest of ways. Perfect comparison.

This is how badly they dropped the ball, and yet the show just keeps going and going like the Energizer Bunny... running at 20% speed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think this is confirmation enough. :p

• Like Like x 2
  9. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Didn't know he had a twitter account! Cool :cool:.

I'm glad James C. Mathis III is getting a chance to play Black Panther in what's basically a Black Panther: The Animated Series. He's really earned it with his tenure on the character, dating back to EMH :).

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. spyke

spyke Well-Known Member

A few quick points regarding the SDCC news.

1. I agree with Wacker that NONE of these characters are exclusively/only for adults. It really ticks me off when editors and creators (as well as fans) selfishly designate any of the MU and DCU characters as being only for adults. Most of these characters were created for kids and/or all ages and first appeared in comics that were aimed at all ages. So I give Wacker props for pointing this out.

2. AA should permanently change it's title to "AVENGERS ASSEMBLE PROMOTIONAL SYNERGY".

3. Geoffrey Thorpe is a darn good writer, so I'm glad that he will be working on the 4th season of AA.

4. So instead of falsely advertising a Black Panther motion comic as an animated series, they are falsely promoting the 5th season of AA as a BP animated series, LOL.

5. I assume that if AA gets a 6th season, Marvel will falsely promote that season as a Captain Marvel series.

Because of 2 reasons.

1. That would make too much sense.

2. They don't think that BP can carry/support his own animated TV series.

• Like Like x 1
    #350 spyke, Jul 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  11. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

The show is getting a 5th Season, which is "Black Panther Quest". Remember, the 4th Season just started ("Secret Wars").

A 6th Season focused on Captain Marvel is certainly a possibility, but I guess we'll see next year.

• Like Like x 1
  12. spyke

spyke Well-Known Member

My bad, thanks for the correction.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Capt.Traphouse

Capt.Traphouse Sexiest Thing Since Sex

I wonder when we'll get that Guardians crossover this season.

14. Medinnus

Medinnus Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I am not familiar with the gentleman - what has he done that so fills you with optimism?

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

He's done some Star Trek novels, and quite a bit of writing in animation and comics :).

From the online interaction and interviews I've seen with him he seems to be a very intellectual and passionate writer, which I think would be a strong fit here ;).

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Descriptions for the episodes set to premiere next month are now available on the Disney Press website:
    From what I understand, they screened clips from "Show Your Work" at the recent D23 Expo and Comic-Con.

EDIT: Didn't realize this while copying the descriptions, but they're apparently airing on Sunday, August 27th. They were previously announced by Zap2It for the 26th.

• Informative Informative x 4
    #356 RoyalRubble, Jul 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  17. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

So now they're airing batches of Assemble in one day? I can't imagine why they would be rushing through episodes of Assemble, and I doubt it's a ratings issue, so it must be a "binge-watching" thing o_O.

I guess I called it right that "The Sleeper Episode" would feature the classic Red Skull Sleeper. I'm curious what it's design will look like, though I have to say how odd it feels to have a Red Skull episode and an adaption of something from Captain America comics right after Captain America was shunted out of the show :sweat:.

"Prison Break" sounds like, oddly enough, a Girl's Night Out episode or a female-oriented episode with all the major players being women. I'm surprised Kamala doesn't seem to be in it :ack:.

This episode might be a good chance to really develop both Carol and Hope, maybe showing the former in a more reasonable or likeable way and helping Hope become more of a realized character and less of a straight-woman and obvious movie synergy character :rolleyes2:.

Really curious about the villains..."Crimson Widow?" Is that Yelena with a new codename? And wow, Typhoid Mary? She's a really unexpected character. Definitely curious to see what kind of take on her they have here. And Zarda's back, so I'm looking forward to seeing her and Captain Marvel go toe-to-toe :cool:.

I wonder if the other Avenges will be involved and if well see more villains trying to break out of the Vault :evil:?

Hercules joining The Avengers should be fun, and it's nice to see a non-movie Avengers popping up, though I'm definitely curious to see what his true goal in joining the team is. Maybe it's related to his brother and nemesis Ares :eek:?

I can't imagine Taskmaster would be working with tThe Avengers without an ulterior motive...

Black Panther and Ant-Man teaming-up in Wakanda should be fun, and I imagine those two will make a wacky odd couple. Also be cool to see more of Wakanda and maybe set some things up for "Panther's Quest" next season :)?

Also seems like Zemo's turn away from villainy didn't take (which I'm glad for), and I hope he'll be as effective an antagonist as always. I also can't help but notice the obvious synergy of having Black Panther square off against Baron Zemo :p.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

Sounds like some pretty great episodes from the descriptions. M.O.D.O.K. and Zemo coming back, Ant-Man and Black Panther teaming up, Hercules appearing and a ladies' centric episode (which has never happened in this show due to few female characters) all seem compelling to watch.
    Perhaps this is something Disney XD is doing with the Marvel shows since we know they've been doing it with Guardians of the Galaxy as well. I'm not sure if it's the best strategy, but perhaps they're trying this out to see how people respond.

Yeah, I thought Crimson Widow was Yelena as well. I'm definitely surprised to see Typhoid Mary in this show.

Hearing Josh Keaton's Ant-Man banter with Black Panther will be a treat! :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Capt.Traphouse

Capt.Traphouse Sexiest Thing Since Sex

These all sound like Marvel-esque Justice League Action episodes with all the different, random characters being used. I'm very excited.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. General Mike

General Mike Member

Could Crimson Widow actually be a take on Crimson Cowl? I don't remember us ever seeing Yelena Belova get captured, so it wouldn't make sense for her to have to breakout of the vault.

Glad Zemo is back to villainy.

• Agree Agree x 1