1. Episode 13 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-13/

We discuss The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, the Nintendo Switch, 20 years of Toonami, Toonami’s first era on Cartoon Network, the Adult Swim era, and what we’d like to see from Toonami in the future.

Dismiss Notice

"Marvel's Avengers Assemble" News & Discussion Thread, Part 8 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Feb 7, 2017.

1. spyke

spyke Well-Known Member

There are so many to choose from, LOL. In no particular order.

1. Hawkeye,Hulk,and Thor acting like childish idiots when playing video games.

2. Black Widow easily holding her own against and taking down opponents with superhuman strength.

3. Captain Marvel flying a propeller plane into deep space.

4. The team fighting over Falcon's mom's cookies.

5. The Squadron Supreme being space aliens whose real names are the same common names that people from Earth have. They should have stayed faithful to their comic book versions and have them be from an alternate Earth.

6. Not using (or even mentioning) Namor when they went to Atlantis or fought Atuma.

7. All of the Avengers piloting their own personal mech suits when they fought Thanos.

• Like Like x 2
  2. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Marvel/DCfan

Marvel/DCfan Member

Hercules!!! Wow I'm looking forward to this.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

Amazing how many posts come to this thread when hate is involved.

I hope Townsend Coleman doesn't reprise his role as Herc, his voice was very unfitting.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

Okay, if there's gonna be a new voice for Herc here are some choices I hope Marvel goes with--

Travis Willingham, Matt Mercer, Fred Tatasciore, John Dimaggio, Nolan North, Neil Kaplan, Kevin Michael Richardson, Patrick Seitz, and JB Blanc.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Hard to gauge what "Sneakers" and "Show Your work" are about :sweat:.

We're finally going to see Hercules again? Awesome! Not only will it be nice to see Herc again after SMASH, but he actually gets to show up in an Avengers cartoon :D.

I'm only disappointed that we probably won't get to see him interact with Thor, and see their rivalry adapted into animation, given Thor's in a different dimension at the moment :sad:.

"Prison Break." I guess a breakout at the Vault (that is the main prison of this continuity right?) that The Avengers have to stop? Maybe the Master...I mean, the Cabal, are trying to find new members :ack:?

"The Sleeper Awakens." I wonder if that's referring the Red Skulls Sleeper robots from the classic Cap comics? Maybe we'll finally see Winter Soldier again :)?

I actually thought he was pretty fun as Herc, so I hope he gets to reprise the role here (plus Townsend Coleman is awesome) ;).

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

I really hope we finally get closure on Winter Soldier's redemption. If this turns out to be the last season, leaving that unresolved would be really depressing for a show like this. :crying:

Don't go "Man-Wolf/Mutagen-Man" on us, Assemble writers.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It would be kind of weird to see Bucky interact with this team of Avengers since there's virtually no one on this team who he has a close affinity to in any continuity o_O.

Though I guess they could have Black Panther vs. Winter Soldier to harken back to Civil War :rolleyes2:.

I wonder if the reason we've seen so little of Winter Soldier on this show is because the creators just don't think he really fits as a character, being a more subdued, less quippy, and tragic figure where you can't really downplay that aspect of the character...

Of course, I don't think he's that different from Black Widow, but that's just me :shrug:.

9. spyke

spyke Well-Known Member

When all hope of these shows actually being good, hate is all that we have left.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Capt.Traphouse

Capt.Traphouse Sexiest Thing Since Sex

Maybe I'm different but I don't see hate. I see a bunch of people laughing at a show but then tuning in. If I hated AA I would sit around and post incomplete sentences full of venom on YouTube, not come here and post incomplete sentences full of praise.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Medinnus

Medinnus Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I don't hate anything involved in the entertainment field - it's not worth the energy.

Disappointment at the potential wasted? A metric ton. Poor decisions and poor quality writing have plagued Marvel Studios since Loeb took over. Has it gotten better since Wacker? Somewhat - but even the best of the stuff being done now is on-par with the least of the stuff produced by Joshua Fine. Chris Yost and Greg Weisman were a high-water mark, and unfortunately, the Loeb era has produced little that even approaches their quality.

That is called being critical, not "hating". The series has faults; you can acknowledge those while still enjoying the overall show.

Although I will say that I don't believe not using Namor in the first season when they had Attuma as part of the Cabal isn't one the faults you can lay at anyone's feet; Namor's rights are still tied up by a third party company.

And boy, let me tell you, what I wouldn't give to be able to see an Invaders series/arc/standalone...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Magmaster12

There was no excuse for not using Namor in the first season when characters related to the Fantastic Four were showing up. If it were up to me I'd have Namor join the team and then have him revealed as a traitor and member of the Cabal since not too many people know he's more of a villain.

Invaders would also be great especially since Whizzer is still alive and showed up in Ultimate Spiderman. My idea or a Young Avengers Cartoon actually has them team up with the Invaders in the third episode.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Capt.Traphouse

Capt.Traphouse Sexiest Thing Since Sex

Okay so let's spread love, favorite episode?

Mine is Saving Captain Rogers. It was phenomenal.

First, the villain. Zemo was great. I argue the best villains have some traits of the hero in them. Here, Zemo was also trapped in the past through his motivation to save his family name despite trapping Captain America in the past with his hypnosis. Zemo was competent (Beat Black Widow and Iron-Man at the same time), compelling and fun. Zemo's manipulating Captain America's inability to leave someone behind was brilliant. At the same time, I almost felt bad for Zemo when he went frantic at the end after losing the formula and his father's legacy.

This was probably the best written Captain America yet. He was earnest in his actions to save Bucky and even Baron Zemo at the end despite his lies and attempted murder of Iron-Man. You really felt that he cared about Bucky and the moment Bucky told him to move on was powerful.

The story was strong, there were great fight scenes and good character moments. It is by and far the best episode of the show imo.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #293 Capt.Traphouse, Jul 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  14. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I second "Saving Captain Rogers" as the best thing to come out of the show, so far. It's probably the only episode that really impressed me. It's not perfect but it managed to deliver pretty much on all fronts. It also helped they only focused on Captain America and Iron Man & Black Widow, without trying to squeeze all the other characters into the story.

I guess Yelena Belova's introduction in "Seeing Double" would be a close second.

• Agree Agree x 4
    #294 RoyalRubble, Jul 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  15. General Mike

General Mike Member

Saving Captain Rogers was great.

Nighthawk is my favorite episode from season 2.

Season 1 goes to Planet Doom.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  16. spyke

spyke Well-Known Member

I have to agree, "Saving Captain Rogers" was a great episode. Heck, I thought that the whole T-bolts story arc was pretty good. I also thought that the first two episodes AA:SECRET WARS were pretty good.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

If I were to pick favorite/best episodes from the first two seasons, my list would look something like this:

Season 1: - "The Ambassador". I thought the Doctor Doom episodes were always a couple of steps above the rest, in terms of quality. But they were mostly separate from the Cabal story-line. This one on the other hand combined those two stories with Red Skull trying to get revenge on Doom. I remember it had some cool Cap and Doom interactions throughout the episode. It was probably the most intriguing story from the season.

"Planet Doom" is a runner-up. Again, Doom. Plus a decent alternate timeline story, which I usually enjoy.

Season 2: - "Secret Avengers". Another episode focusing on only some of the Avengers (this time because it was in the middle of their first Civil War). Seeing this small team on a more black-ops mission was pretty cool. And I liked the Winter Guard, too. This was a lot better than the other Avengers team's mission to fight MODOK.

And "Spectrums" would be a runner-up. It was kind of cliche with the heroes having to fight off their biggest fears but I liked their take on Doctor Spectrum. It was also kind of nice learning more about Ant-Man (though his backstory here might not be canon anymore :p)

It's kind of weird how my favorite episodes from this show tend to focus on Captain America. I'm not even a huge fan of the character, but his stories seem to be more entertaining than the others.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Marvel/DCfan

Marvel/DCfan Member

Will someone be able to keep us updated on the information they release at the D23 expo today?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Medinnus

Medinnus Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Sure there is.

Licensing is complex, and no two licenses are alike. The entire FF appeared in AEMH, and so one assumes that the license sold to ...whoever owns the FF movie rights don't have exclusive rights across all media.

Namor is not a sub-character on the FF rights. Namor (and whatever goes with him) is owned by Universal. So we could potentially see a Namor VS The Creature from the Black Lagoon movie, but not Namor in the MCU.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Magmaster12

Feels like this is the millionth time this has been brought up on this site, Universal no longer owns Namor Joe Quesada confirmed that last year. From what I've heard it's just certain aspects they can't use such as The Submariner nickname or stuff about him being a mutant.

Pretty sure Marvel gets free reign on the animation though since he's even appeared in the Spiderman cartoon where they couldn't use Johnny. Heck in the 60's FF cartoon they couldn't even use Namor because he was part of the 1966 Marvel shorts.

• Agree Agree x 1