1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Marvel's Avengers Assemble" News & Discussion Thread, Part 2 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, May 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

This is just a little reminder to keep the posting civil. Opinions on these shows are always going to vary but let's keep a constant friendly environment.

2. Dragnatek

Dragnatek Well-Known Member

Generator Rex did plenty to shake up the status Quo. Sure it could have done a better job but it was comedy episodes just brought that whole series down. When it focused on it's story it was great. Besides that it's quite above the rest of MOA's writing. I feel that it's the only MOA show where the writers were not as bogs down by executive meddling and they were allowed to show their stuff. They ARE good writers. Sure Rex had lots of failed potential but what show doesn't? I can name far more popular shows that have even MORE failed potential. I really feel that show gets a very bad rap. Especially from Macattack who I still believe watched a very different show then I did.

Really MOA are scapegoats with the Marvel cartoons. The blame should fall of Leob as he's the one who controls the direction of these shows, their content and how they should be handled. Yeah I know they are the team he used for these shows but they are doing what he wants them to do.

3. Monte

Monte Active Member

I tend to agree more than disagree.
    I mean i for one liked the original Ben 10 series, and really enjoyed Generator Rex. However comedy was always the weakest parts of those shows, which is why USM becomes such a problem since its nothing BUT comedy; its enough to convince that they just don't handle comedy very well. Not hard to believe since they are all comic book vets which for years have leaned on the more serious side of things. Still generator Rex feels like it was MOA at their best, where as most of what they have been doing for Marvel has felt mediocre at best (Though compared to USM, HULK and AA are both a step up)

As for Loeb... i get the feeling that he might be out of his element. I'm not that familar with his past work, but think he has a decent track record when it comes to comics, but with Marvel animation he's worked for a different audience. With comics he's aiming for an older audience but with animation he's trying to make shows for kids; but instead of finding that oh so perfect balance that a lot of past shows have found, where you make something acceptable to kids but interesting enough that anyone of any age can enjoy it, he ends up writing DOWN to his audience. In the end he creates something that Kids probably will find entertaining, but will have very little substance beyond that, creating something that will be rather forgettable(kinda like some of the marvel cartoons from the 90's). Not to mention i have no idea how marketing might play into any of this... i mean was it Loeb that wanted to reboot the avengers animated series so they could try to capitalize on the movies, or could that decision have come from somewhere higher up.

Heck another thing i have found rather baffling is the performance of Paul Dini. As a writer he is one of the best when it comes to superheroes in animation with everything he did for DC in the past; with Batman and Justice league he showed he knew how to write great shows that could appeal to a very wide audience. And Heck the guy also has a history of writing comedy with Tiny toons and Animaniacs. And yet, his episodes for marvel have fell kinda flat. Maybe it does have something to do with direction influence over the writers; he works with what they give him... or he could just be a tad out of his element; i mean maybe he doesn't know the marvel characters as well as he came to know the DC characters (though i doubt Dini would jump to work for Marvel if he didn't know marvel)... It actually makes me wonder how some of these shows would do if Dini was running things

#483 Monte, Aug 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2013
  4. King_of_doom

King_of_doom kiva fan

This is my opinion but i do feel that MoA or Loeb are behind the changes of the writing of Paul Dini which reminds me of the comics code back in the day where you show your stuff and they point out the stuff you need to remove or change, As you said his writing was the best when he was in Batman TAS and especially with comedy when he was working on Tiny Toons and Animaniacs but sadly there are others who don't see that cough Loeb cough tho probably Dini knows how someone tries to change his work since when he was working on those past shows he had creative freedom.

I even remember a comment that MoA made on Facebook(don't know if they are the real MoA but seems like they do because of the events they announce) on pinning the blame on Dini for the first episodes where some have criticize, some of the writing it's from him but at the same time you do notice it had MoA on it especially the comedy.

5. spyke

spyke Well-Known Member

MOA is not to blame, Loeb and Quesada are. If you look at the "all ages" line of books (MARVEL AGE/MARVEL ADVENTURE line) that Marvel put out several years ago when Quesada was still EIC, you will see the same type of dumbed down over simplified,over sanitized,and campy/silly corny storytelling that is found in the current batch of Marvel cartoons. This is Quesada and Loeb's ignorant idea of what an all ages cartoon (or comic) should be. They don't understand the simple concept of writing a story in layers so that it can be enjoyed and appreciated by people of different ages on different levels. They wrongly believe that "all ages" means "dumb, silly/campy,over sanitized crap for very young kids".

6. Hypestyle

Hypestyle Active Member

I was pleasantly surprised to see Dracula as a villain. Too bad that this episode didn't involve Blade. I hope he eventually manages to show up somewhere, even if vampires are not the villains.

7. coluanprime

coluanprime Member

Has this show Improved since the premiere? I watched that and was so bored by it that I couldn't persuade myself to try another episode....

8. King_of_doom

King_of_doom kiva fan

So so in some episodes but overall not that much improvement.

9. W.C.Reaf

W.C.Reaf Active Member

In my opinion, and I can't believe every post now needs to be prefaced with this, all the franchise series have the problem of fans negatively comparing them to the older shows. This has happened to the Batman, X-men, and Spider-Man cartoons and then they usually settle down as people watch the shows and decide for themselves if they like it or not. Which is why when fans like a show the fanbase grows larger and the negative comments are smaller, while the other shows don't get a large fanbase because people genuinely don't like the show. There're always the fans that will hate on a show for not living up to nostalgia of previous series, but those are in the minority.

So at the moment if people are still not liking USM 3 season in then it's probably more to do with the show then the fans just hating the creative staff or that the previous show was cancelled.

At this point I don't actually care since I stopped watching USM and AA because they didn't appeal to me.

10. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Disney XD has provided Marvel Animation Age with a run down of details for new Marvel's Avengers Assemble episodes airing September 2013 on the network. Continue below for the details.

Sunday, September 15
    Marvel's Avengers Assemble "Depth Charge"
    (11:30 AM – 12:00 NOON ET/PT)

When Attuma tries to sink Manhattan, Hulk is forced to prove his strength or perish trying.

Sunday, September 22
    Marvel's Avengers Assemble "Doomstroyer"

Doctor Doom takes command of the Asgardian Destroyer armor and Thor has to convince the team to trust the one person who may be able to stop him, Loki!

Sunday, September 29
    Marvel's Avengers Assemble "Hulked Out Heroes"

The Avengers learn what it’s like to walk a mile in Hulk’s shoes when a Gamma attack by Red Skull turns them into raging monsters – the unlikely duo of Hulk and Black Widow are the last line of defense between the city and the Hulk-Vengers.

Please note this will be the last month I will be posting these details. Stu will likely take over these posts from this point on.

11. Alonso Torrejon

Alonso Torrejon Active Member

I don't know which episode puts me in "Bad Feeling" mode, Doomstroyer or Hulked Out Heroes?

"How come", you may ask?

Well, let's see.

Doomstroyer: Neither the Avengers or Loki will like the idea of joining forces.

Hulked Out Heroes: The Avengers (minus Black Widow) might not only be like Hulk but also under mind control.

I have yet to find out what happens then.

12. Dsneybuf

Dsneybuf Well-Known Member

Anyone else think of EMH after reading the synopsis for "Hulked-Out Heroes"?

13. bigdaddy313

bigdaddy313 Well-Known Member

That's very true the Gamma World episodes.

Now instead of two it's just one episode, so it definitely wont be as good.

And instead of Hulk and Hawkeye it's the widow and Hulk.

And another thing, how is Loki going to help the Avengers, when in this world he is absolutely useless thanks to USM?

14. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm a little tired of the Destroyer. It just doesn't do much.

15. Medinnus

Medinnus Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

But he's easy to voice-cast!

16. King_of_doom

King_of_doom kiva fan

How many guessed that Black Widow wasn't going to be affected with the Gamma radiation and the rest of the Avengers did? Typical where the female(in this case Mary Sue) doesn't get transform or something happened to her......the vampire thing doesn't count much. Would have liked that it was Falcon teaming up with the Hulk also wonder if Thor gets affected unless he doesn't show up because of Doomstroyer.

17. Dsneybuf

This probably sounds like the least of Marvel Animation's problems, but if they want to emulate the movies, can anyone theorize why they didn't they give Thor a beard?

18. Medinnus

Medinnus Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Market appeal to women?

19. Dsneybuf

They didn't like Chris Hemsworth's beard? That kind of surprises me.
    Congrats on the promotion, by the way.

20. macattack

macattack I see you!
    Staff Member Reporter

It makes no sense for Thor to be affected by gamma radiation. EMH outright stated that Thor, being a god, was above such earthly things.

I'm not surprised that Black Widow will not be affected by the gamma radiation (barring the surprise that she IS affected but retains her own mind). Man of Action rarely has women get turned into things onscreen but is more than happy to mutate men.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.