1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel's Avengers Assemble "Midgard Crisis" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by Stu, Jul 19, 2015.

?

Rate this episode

1. *****

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 0

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Stu

Stu Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
    Staff Member Administrator

Check out Marvel's Avengers Assemble!

[​IMG]
    Marvel's Avengers Assemble "Midgard Crisis"
    Episode Premiere Date - July 19th, 2015

Thor is convinced that Zarda wants to defect from Squadron Supreme, but Hulk knows better and must protect Thor from Zarda's duplicitous ways.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

2. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

I felt that this episode was pretty weak. The dialogue was very monotonous and the "oath" deal made no sense.

"The Battle of Musphelheim." Hmmmm...

The bunny was cute though.

• Like Like x 1
    #2 TheLemsterPju, Jul 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  3. Capt.Traphouse

Capt.Traphouse Sexiest Thing Since Sex

Word the plot took too long to develop IMO and the Deus Machina at the end about friend was a little corny. I did like the artwork of Zarda's Island and I thought their "date" and thee fact Zarda's intentions were real was cool. I wish the episode just hurried it up a bit.

I have to say, I loved Zhor (Zarda + Thor) as a concept, she was feeling him up a lot . Haha, I also loved Nighthawks few words of dialogue at the end when he was playing Zarda, he's such a jerk.

Next episode seems to be fire, I cannot wait.

Anyone else notice the show is using more dynamic and real time fight scenes? I'm loving this compared to the still and static fights of season 1.

4. bigdaddy313

bigdaddy313 Well-Known Member

I did a marathon on season 1 just the continues plots and I got sick it was that bad but it really goes to show season 2 is way better

5. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Marble

I thought this one was on the meh side. I really wasn't impressed by how long it took everyone to figure out that the animals were mutated by magic. The oath was also a pretty weak thing to hang Thor's faith in Zarda on. I get that he puts a high value on honor, but I find it hard to believe that Thor would just wave off everything Zarda's done to suddenly trust her now. Still, I'm glad that all the Squadron members have been given development.

6. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Pretty disappointing episode. The plot was pretty predictable. I appreciate they tried developing all the Squadron Supreme members and I guess it was nice having an episode focused on Zarda/Power Princess, but I thought this was just boring. Thor's reasoning to trust Zarda was pretty weak, it would have been nice if we actually saw a flashback or something to the battle he kept mentioning. Zarda's tactics at getting Thor to join her were also pretty cliche.

The fight scenes were done pretty well, the choreography in the fight between Thor and Zarda was good. The mutated animals seen in this episode weren't all that great, I thought their designs were a little too bland, but they made for some decent action scenes. I liked Hulk's mutated design though, too bad it was used only for a few minutes, and the way he snapped out from under Zarda's control could have been handled better. I did kind of like the brief scenes with Hulk and Thor's friendship but again it could have been better. Considering how often the two fight for the silliest of reasons on this show, I don't really expect it to last. It was pretty neat that the humor was toned down this time, minus the rather lame video games joke. No comment about the bunny.

Overall, not bad but disappointing, especially compared to the last few episodes which turned out pretty good in the end. I'm still looking forward to the confrontation between the Avengers and the Squadron Supreme, hopefully that won't be too disappointing either.

Also, did Zarda have that invisible ship in the comics too? Or it was just another nod to Wonder Woman's Invisible Plane.

7. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

I'm just gonna say this--

Zarda's one buff chick! No really, she makes She Hulk from SMASH look like she just started gym class.

8. NoOneInParticular

NoOneInParticular New Member

So disappointing they got rid of the whole honour idea half way and replaced it for the whole power idea and her manipulating events for her own gain. The thought that zarda was indeed a good person who did indeed have a strange version of justice (How she said not to hurt the animals), but was let down by her flawed version of honour could have made for a really interesting villain. Sort of like Vergil from devil may cry in an odd way. Also, perhaps if they had spanned this episode over the course of days (Lets say thor and zarda where meeting in secret for a couple of times) then that would have made the conflict more interesting, and would have better explained hulks sulk. The fights where cool though. A bit too long but it was nice to see thor fight and not be an over glorified punching bag like usual.

9. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Not as good as the last two episodes. Thor looked pretty dumb throughout (seriously, Hulk showed more brain power) and Zarda herself was pretty bland.

The other Avengers didn't get to do much at all.

10. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

I love Nighthawk. He really is like an evil Batman.

11. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

That reminds me, did anyone else think that Zarda was too much like Wonder Woman? Yeah, I know, all these villains are homages to JL members, but c'mon! She had an invisible plane, and the island she made looked like Themiyscara.

12. spyke

spyke Well-Known Member

Remember, this is AA we are talking about. The writers think that kids are dumb as hell and that they have to beat the viewers over the head with the fact that the SS are JLA archetypes by making the animated versions more similar to the JLA then they are in the comics. This is also why they have made all of the SS members "space aliens" (and the world they came from an alien planet instead of a parallel Earth).

13. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

That's kind of the point. All these characters are essentially analogs and clones of DC heroes. I think similarly, characters in Watchmen are based off of some classic DC and Charlton Comics characters.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

Perhaps it's best if we drop yet another argument to avoid tension on board.

15. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

Seconded.

16. spyke

spyke Well-Known Member

Yes, I know that is the point of the SS characters. However, my point was/is that some of the SS characters (the original ones from the comics) are not exact duplicates of the JLA. For example, Power Princess comes from an advance peaceful hidden civilization made up of both men and women. She also carries a shield and sword (which is something that Wonder Woman started carrying within the last 15 to 20 years, many years after PP was created).

17. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I was curious about her invisible ship as well. But from what I can tell, her Utopia Isle is actually from the comics.