Marvel's Avengers Assemble "Hulked Out Heroes" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by Stu, Sep 29, 2013.

?

Rate this episode

1. *****

11.1%
  2. ****1/2

11.1%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

22.2%
  5. ***

22.2%
  6. **1/2

11.1%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

22.2%
  10. 0

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Stu

Stu Marvel Animation Age Webmaster

Check out an all-new episode of Avengers Assemble today at 11:30am (ET/PT) inside Marvel Universe on Disney XD!

[​IMG]

Avengers Assemble "Hulked Out Heroes"
    Episode Premiere Date - September 29th, 2013

The Avengers learn what it’s like to walk a mile in Hulk’s shoes when a Gamma attack by Red Skull turns them into raging monsters – the unlikely duo of Hulk and Black Widow are the last line of defense between the city and the Hulk-Vengers.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

2. Gold Guy

Gold Guy This ain't Pokemon!

Wow. This may have been my least favorite episode yet. Ugh. I just hated this episode. It annoyed me, and I'm not totally sure why, but it rubbed me the wrong way.

3. trance2009

trance2009 Fun to play with not to eat

I liked it for kind of spotlighting Hulk and the continuity from the movie about BW not trusting him.

4. Alonso Torrejon

Alonso Torrejon Member

I think Hulk and Black Widow make a great team.

Loved the part where they passed out after curing the Avengers.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2013
  5. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo We're not cousins!

Apparently, kids ♥ the Hulk. Even on a week when there's no episode of Hulk and Agents of S.M.A.S.H., there's an episode of Avengers Assemble that focuses on Hulk. I knew that the character was popular, but it seems as though Disney is going out of it's way to promote Big Green.

6. firefoxprime

firefoxprime 90s = Golden Years

So....Agents of SMASH is really on 13 eps right? I remember hearing it was DOA before it even aired? Hmmm....

By the way, is AA even worth watching? EMH was pretty solid, but I'm getting a movie tie-in cashcow vibe from AA. The current DC/Marvel series feel weak dude. I mean just 3-5 years ago we had BTBTB, Young Justice, Green Lantern, Spectacular Spidey, Wolverine&X-men, Iron man:AA, A:EMH! Just solid solid series. The quality was very very high, a few speed bumps here and there but you get the idea. Now we just have UltSpidey, AA, SMASH, BtB, and TTGo.....the execution just feels weak. Is it just me?

Spidey can't handle decent humor(its "okay"), AA's riding and copying Avengers cinematic style, SMASH from what I've seen from the first 3 eps was decent, good humor and chemistry between characters. Good animation too(besides those giant bugs, ugh). BtB has good continuous plot, but the Batman movie shooting reduced gun usage in the show, and the characters are stiff. Max Steel does NOT approve. TTGo? Yeah, I'm one of those true OG fans, which is so painfully hilarious, because Teen Titan hardcore comic fans were up in arms about the 2003 series. To "anime" they said. Not true to the comics they said. Full circle huh? Hehe.

7. Choppasmith

Choppasmith Member

Ehh, it was okay. The whole "Gee I had no idea what being the Hulk was like" seemed so heavy handed and it bugged me that "Hulk Thor" was still able to wield Mjolnir with no problems. On the upside, Hulk and Widow made such an adorable duo.

8. TheMadSlasher

TheMadSlasher New Member

A pretty good episode. For one, it dealt with Black Widow's divided loyalties and made sure they weren't glossed over. For two, it had the smarter Hulk seen in SMASH.

I think the overall series is continuing to improve. And Tony's hair has been darkened I think. It seems they really are trying to care about fan feedback.

9. King_of_doom

King_of_doom kiva fan

That was just such a snore-fest of an episode. The design of the Avengers turning into Hulk like creatures was just soooooo plain boring, they didn't try to be creative on the designs, heck the comic version had better designs for the characters also EMH come up with some good designs and yeah it's understanding they want the Avengers to see how Hulk is but really they could have done it better. This episode tries too hard to be funny that's just sad........Black Widow and Hulk team up was so so, not bad but not that great either.

I might be blind but what improvement?

10. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi

Great storyline focusing on Black Widow and her relationship with The Hulk. The writers addressed Black Widow's divided loyalties between SHIELD and The Avengers. Black Widow picked The Avengers over SHIELD in this case. I appreciate Hulk's humility that he's willing to give people he trusts the ability to take him down. While he has control now, he's aware of how delicate that control is.

11. Captain Travis

Captain Travis New Member

Just watched this episode and man did the animation suck, as did the plot itself. I just wish this show could be as mature as Beware the Batman and LoK those are both for kids and seem to be able to keep it entertaining for a wide audience just wish Marvel had something animated that has more complex storytelling like some fans want.

12. Infinite-bit

Infinite-bit New Member

Well so much for Thor's Asgardian physiology negating or resisting the effects of gamma radiation. Also I've noticed that Black Widow's hazmat suit looked a lot like Jenny Takeda's containment suit from "Avengers Academy/Arena".

13. macattack

macattack I see you!

Yeah. As if previous episodes did not confirm this, this firmly establishes the show as being outside of AEMH continuity. Now we can finally let the argument rest.

I guess I'm supposed to be glad that Banner at least got mentioned but the writing basically confirmed that Banner's been permanently transformed into the Hulk. It's too bad, this episode would have been the perfect opportunity to introduce Banner but it didn't happen.

There was also a bit of a plot hole. If there was a gamma virus going around, one that got Thor infected, why didn't Black Widow get infected in the final battle (which would have made things less predictable and more interesting)? Or any of the passersby? (At least there WERE passersby, off-topic)

The animation was not good in this episode. A LOT of clear, obvious cut corners everywhere.

Also, the "casual danger dialogue" in the opening scene bothered me. Nick Fury and Natasha are outnumbered and outgunned by a big bunch of AIM goons and yet they practically stop and have a conversation while kicking the AIM goons' asses. I'm sorry, there was just so much wrong about that scene that I can't ignore it. :sweat:

14. dr_marvel2040

dr_marvel2040 New Member

Hope the show will improve n the next episoides,,,,,,,,,,,,,,i was looking to see any gamma villan helping the skull n this episoide,,,,,,,i will be disappointed if they r not gonna bring villan teams like the revengers,aquadrone supremes,new masters of evil.........and if they bring loki why not ultron or kang????and what happen with loki ????????

15. Roxas_Sora

Roxas_Sora Member

I saw the episode, and I have to admit, it was really good!! Just a few things that called my attention about all this:

+ Back in "The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes", episode "Gamma World", the Leader unleashed a chemical gas that turned every human being (and some members of the Avengers) into Hulk's alikes. However, Thor was unaffected by it because, according to him, man's science can't affect an ancient God. And yet, in this episode, Thor was affected by the gamma virus and turned into a Hulk version of himself. Can somebody explain this to me, please?

+ The anti-radiation suit that Black Widow were using to protect herself from the virus. Anybody else noticed that it looked very much like the used by the character Hazmat?

+ It was fun to see Hulk facing himself from the Avenger's point of view. Now he can understand a little why people turns rude with him. By the way, with the Hulk dealing with a group of his "duplicates", do you think this episode is also some kind of preview for "Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H."?

16. Medinnus

Medinnus Moderator

The two series are not connected. Done )

17. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Trickin' N Treatin'

I watched Marvel Universe with my cousin on Sunday, and we pretty much spent the whole time comparing this to Gamma World. It just felt as though this situation was handled in the most uninteresting and unappealing way possible. The lazy Hulked Out designs certainly didn't help either. Widow's stealth suit was pretty awful as well, though it might have been due to the generally awful coloring on this show after the pilot. I like the idea of the Hulk and Widow team-up but they could have done so much better. Was it just me or was the opening mission the most active that we've seen the post-EMH Fury ?

18. Infinite-bit

Infinite-bit New Member

Yes I've noticed it too only with a yellow & red color scheme instead of yellow & black like Hazmat's suit.

19. macattack

macattack I see you!

I could not help but compare this to "Gamma World" from Avengers EMH and point out the deficiencies this episode had, considering the similar concepts. If I ruin anyone's enjoyment I apologize.

1. There was actual tension in Gamma World, in BOTH episodes. Part 1 had a horror-ish vibe and Part 2 was straight-up action/conspiracy with a slight macabre atmosphere. The only comedy was a few intentionally awkward one-liners, mostly from Wasp. In here, it was played mostly for laughs. I admit I smiled at the "PIZZA BAGELS!" running gag once but none of the rest of the jokes worked for me and they only derailed some of the more serious moments like Hulk telling everyone that "everything is an egg". What the humor did was erase any semblance of tension that made the Gamma World episodes work so well and would have made this episode better.

2. The animation in EMH was frankly better, especially in the shading. Compare the opening scene of Gamma World part 1 to any scene in this. The coloring, the shading, the fluidity, it's all significantly better in the Gamma World episodes.

3. There were multiple plot holes in Hulked Out Heroes. If there indeed was a "gamma flu" going around, why didn't any of the passersby get infected, potentially causing a Prototype or inFAMOUS-esque type of situation (which would make for one hell of a story)? Or Black Widow in the concluding battle, which would have caused a lot of tension as she would have struggled not to lose control while curing the others. It would have also have painted Widow in a more heroic light if she put curing the others ahead of herself. After all, this episode intended to do that for Widow to a degree. The Gamma World episodes mostly managed to avoid plot holes (there's the question of Hulk and Hawkeye charging from Canada to the Mojave Desert in time to stop The Leader, admittedly). Plus there at least was an excuse for Hawkeye not getting infected (inoculation is a bit of a cop-out but at least it's an explanation).

4. The designs in Hulked-Out Heroes are LAZY. There's no real variation among the characters. They just turn into green copies of the Hulk. Gamma World mixed things up with the designs at least, some turning into Hulk-like behemoths, others into more horrifying creatures, and not all of them are green.

5. The music in Gamma World tends to lurk in the background or even turn silent in some areas to raise the tension, saving the orchestral bursts only when the action gets underway. Much like USM, the music in Avengers Assemble never shuts off which is a major detriment on occasion.

6. BANNER. I've gone on and on about why Avengers Assemble's obsession with ignoring Banner is ultimately a bad thing. This episode would have been a golden opportunity to have Banner appear and have him help in the general situation, and expand on the themes the episode wanted to explore. It was all wasted, and the passing mention of Banner doesn't really help as Banner seems to be referred to in the "past" tense, which means he's gone. Gamma World Part 2 did utilize Banner, and Banner's genius came up with the cure to stop the Leader's plan, even though the Hulk (who is about as smart as the AA Hulk) arguably played a bigger role in actually stopping the threat.

7. Say what you will of AEMH's turning Wasp into a hideous-looking hornet creature, but AEMH never made the colossal, raw stupidity of Thor being turned into a Hulk. Asgardians are not affected by gamma radiation . . . well, at least not until that rather Amazons Attack-level of atrocity that was the comic book version of Hulked Out Heroes. Not to mention Tony hulking out of his armor. The armor should have burst into a zillion pieces, not rip apart like clothing. IT WOULDN'T WORK THAT WAY.

I'm done. I could go on but I've been writing this for 20 minutes. That's long enough.

20. Maxwell Cohen

Maxwell Cohen New Member

While Avengers Assemble is inferior to Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, it certainly is the most tolerable of Marvel's Cinematic Animated shows, and if you want to see the Avengers in action via animation, this is the current way to do so unless you have Netflix.