1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel's Avengers Assemble "Ghosts of the Past" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by Stu, Oct 26, 2014.

?

Rate and Comment on this Episode!

1. *****

16.7%
  2. ****1/2

16.7%
  3. ****

16.7%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

33.3%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

16.7%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Stu

Stu Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
    Staff Member Administrator

The second season of Avengers Assemble continues on Disney XD!

[​IMG]
    Marvel's Avengers Assemble "Ghosts of the Past"
    Episode Premiere Date - October 26th, 2014
    Red Skull has information that could help the Avengers save the world from Thanos, but an intruder kidnaps Skull before they can retrieve it. Cap discovers that the trespasser is none other than his old partner Bucky Barnes, now the Winter Soldier, who's back and seeks revenge.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

2. strugler

strugler Member

As someone who disliked most the first season of Avengers Assemble, i think this show has improved beyond anyone's expectation and i believe that people are hating on it now just for the sake of doing it.

Ghost of the past was the best episode this show has offered. It had drama, action and for the first time a choreographed hand to hand fight. Not sure how no one has mentioned the excellent choreography.

anyway, here is my review of this stellar episode: Avengers Assemble S02E04 "Ghosts of the Past" Review

3. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Dwarf-in-a-flask

Probably the best episode of the season, still had a few creaky bits, but much better than this season's previous efforts. The action sequences were really solid this time around. The fights between Winter Soldier and Captain America looked great. Falcon also looked better than he's looked all series. Winter Soldier was a little flat compared to some of his other presentations. He talked too much to work as the MCU version and he was too shallow to relate to the EMH version. I think a flashback would have gone along way to establishing him as his own thing, rather than exposition. We might get more on him later this season, so I'll hold out until then.

Dialogue continues to be rather clunky and expository and there were also a few moments that didn't quite jive. Like why Falcon and Widow both ran to see Cap in the control room when they could have called him. Or how there were no real consequences when the jet flew out and fired indiscriminately at the city. The humor fell flat, like it often does, and is starting to feel superfluous at this point. Heck, Hulk, Thor, and Hawkeye could have just not shown up and we could have had the whole episode with just the Winter Soldier trio.

On a side note, I know that X-Men are verboten, but Professor X and Jean Grey could really help with interrogating Red Skull. Tony mentioned that Black Widow and Hawkeye work as partners separate from the team. Anyone think there's an episode focusing on them somewhere down the line?

4. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

Great episode and I hope we have not seen the last of Bob Bergen's Winter Soldier.

The show has really nailed early Hawkeye's personality.

5. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I actually thought this episode was disappointing.

I loved all the Captain America/Winter Soldier scenes. Those were great.

Everything else?

All the dialogue from Hawkeye, Hulk, and Thor was plain awful. I cringed at some of it. I wish their scenes had been cut, or something.

6. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

This was a good episode. Still didn't like the gradeschool hijinks involving Hawkeye and Hulk, but this had some really nice action scenes, especially between Cap and Bucky.

7. Medinnus

Medinnus Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I liked some of it, although I wish they'd pick an origin for Bucky and stick with it (although my personal favorite version remains the AEMH version, which will surprise nobody). The Winter Soldier stealing Nick Fury's glide suit bit from AEMH (and MU616 Strange Tales) was cute.

The humor... not understated enough, and over-written, as if they were having to explain the joke while telling it.

Unfortunately, since the MCU stole Hawkeye's personality for Iron Man, they've responded to that here by making Hawkeye even more of an immature jerk. Shame. Can't blame the writers for that one, though. I do prefer the more serious, haunted MCU/JR version of Hawkeye, though.

These episodes with characterization always feel rushed.

Falcon: Partners?
    Cap: No partners.
    Iron Man: Don't be a closed-minded ninny, Cap.
    Cap: OK. Incoming personality trait change because Iron Man said something.
    Falcon: *pouts*
    Cap: Partners!

Too fast. The writing is, as usual, unsubtle and un-nuanced so that even the target demographic can get it. /snore

8. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

To avoid copying and pasting my previous post I'll give this my proper thoughts. While it's not one of the worst things I saw I wouldn't say it's good. The animation was okay thou some spots were a bit stiff and expressionless, and as much as I love Bob Bergen's voice acting, he's just not the casting choice that screams Winter Soldier. If I were the voice director I would have casted Benjamin Deskin, Josh Keaton, Eric Lopez, Crispen Freeman, Jason Marsden, Eric Bauza, Yuri Lowanthall, Will Fredie or Matthew Mercer, or even Todd Haberkorn now that he's in LA and got casted for Korra.

And of course there's that forced humor (Thou I got a couple chuckles) and that over used subject on revenge which unfortunately was not handled well here.

Over all, not bad but not very good either. Pass.

9. TheVileOne

Reporter

You know Troy, it's very possible some of those people you name dropped read for the role and either A) weren't available or B) weren't good fits for the role. It happens.

10. spyke

spyke Well-Known Member

I'm torn aboutthis episode. On one hand, I thought that it was a decent episode. OTOH, the Hulk/Thor/Hawkeye humor was stupid as hell and Cap and Bucky standing on and jumping around and fighting on a MOVING ROCKET WITHOUT FALLING OFF was one of the stupidest things that I have seen in an action cartoon.

11. bigdaddy313

bigdaddy313 Well-Known Member

I understand what you are saying about the moving train and to a certain point I agree, but Cap is known for fighting on fast moving objects like the first issue of Ed Brubaker's run on Captain America and since Bucky is following the movie version which he is also a super soldier, then the same thing is for him as well.

Now the episode was quite ok really but the problem I had with it was that everything was happening very fast with no real breathing room to digest the good story element from it.

Its like they where cramming two episodes inside one so I did not feel or had the time to feel drama from the episode.

And another fact that the humor was really terrible.

Other than all that, good action.

12. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Dwarf-in-a-flask

I dunno...there are a lot of old Hanna-Barbera cartoons that have abused the laws of physics worse. And I'm sure there are worse comedic bits, I just can't think of any worse examples off the top of my head...

13. spyke

spyke Well-Known Member

I wasn't talking about the fight scene o top of the train, I was talking about the fight scene on the MOVING FLYING ROCKET.

14. bigdaddy313

bigdaddy313 Well-Known Member

That aplies too as well for them.

15. spyke

spyke Well-Known Member

I can't ever recall reading a Cap (or superhero comic in general) or watching an action/superhero cartoon where 2 people were shown fighting hand to hand on a flying rocket (standing up,jumping up in the air,and landing back down on the rocket) the way Cap and Bucky were doing. That just doesn't only defy the laws of physics, it's also a poorly conceived and flat out stupid scene.

16. TheVileOne

Reporter

Conceptually, it is hard to visualize, but you are talking about a world that constantly ignores the laws of physics and what would be able to realistically happen. Comics have had much stupider scenes that were poorly conceived especially in Avengers comics.

17. Christopher Glennon

Christopher Glennon Punch Drunk Flounder
    Staff Member Reporter

Although they didn't quite capture the subtleties of Bucky's Winter Soldier shock and kind of reduced his motivation to one note...worth it for Cap and Falcon!