1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel's Avengers Assemble "Beneath the Surface" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Nov 2, 2014.

?

Rate and Comment on "Marvel's Avengers Assemble"

1. *****

16.7%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

16.7%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

50.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

16.7%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

The second season of Avengers Assemble continues on Disney XD!

[​IMG]
    Marvel's Avengers Assemble "Beneath the Surface"
    Episode Premiere Date - November 2nd, 2014
    When Hawkeye and Black Widow stumble upon the Serpent Crown, they must work together to stop Attuma's battalion from destroying Atlantis.
    Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

2. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

I like that we saw Atlantis and Attuma but even then it was pretty underwhelming.

I mean seriously are they that afraid to bring in new characters they're giving us Atlantis before we see Namor?

There were also a LOT of stupid moments that I can expect out this show at this point, like Thor not knowing how electricity works under water and more cliched villains.

3. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Marble

The Black Widow/Hawkeye team-up came a little earlier than I was expecting. I was worried when I watching the episode. Clint was being his usual obnoxious, stupid self and was beginning to wonder why he even came along. Then Widow called him out on his nonsense and he actually came through. Hawkeye's return to competence was probably too abrupt, but I read the episode as a rebuke of how the show's handled Hawkeye so I'm willing to let that slide. If Clint's return to form sticks I'll be even happier.

Black Widow was okay as usual. Babysitting Clint would throw anyone off their game. She tries to take blame for attacking first, but Zartra struck first when she tested her sea monster against them and almost killed Hawkeye.

Lady Zartra was okay. She was flat and underdeveloped, but that was probably due to a lack of screentime. The spare the villain moment towards the end was a little rushed though. Attuma's still flat and wasn't as amusing as he usually is for some reason. Maybe he wasn't hammy enough? I felt bad for Giganto. Poor guy was minding his business and just kept getting dragged into other people's fights.

A solid effort overall.

4. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

While for the most part the animation was stiff, there were at least some clips that were fluent if not expressive. That's pretty much the standard for most episodes of the show in a nutshell, most of the animation is just... meh! Not bad but not very good either.

The only good thing character wise was Zartra. While she was under developed she made a much better character than the rest until the spot with the forced "Don't be what your fighting" that Black Widow brought out of the blue.

5. trance2009

trance2009 Fun to play with not to eat

BW is the last person on the team to be concerned with killing a target.

6. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

She's turned over a new leaf now I guess.

I was glad to see they got the crown from the bottom of the ocean. Made no sense to leave it there for any supervillain to go and find it.

I liked the hydro gear the Avengers wore in this episode. Hawkeye's version was neat because his helmet had an H on it and evoked his classic 616 mask. Also finally got a version of Iron Man's hydro armor.

Glad we got a Hawkeye/Black Widow-centric team-up episode. I got the sense that Hawkeye had grown soft since joining the Avengers and was not interested in the basic spy game anymore. Hawkeye at least has more of a personality in the animated show similar to his comic counterpart, unlike in Avengers, where he didn't have much of a character to speak of at all. Hawkeye and Widow posing as tourists, and Widow getting annoyed with Hawkeye's flirting and partying was fun. Hawkeye even got a kiss from Widow, even if it was just her acting in character. Hawkeye and Widow also had a moment at the end that seemed to hint at romantic chemistry. Not sure if the show is going anywhere with that, but there seems to be some obvious flirtation between the two.

7. Choppasmith

Choppasmith Member

This episode surprised me. It's like the first half they really seemed to push the whole "Hawkeye acting childish" angle and I was thinking the episode would end with Clint "learning" that small spy missions are important too.

And then the handoff happened and Hawkeye wasn't rusty at all, just being snarky and laid back.

It baffles me that they haven't introduced Namor yet.

8. Medinnus

Medinnus Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Not subtle, but not a bad episode. Paul Giacopo writes well, even within the idiotic constraints of the Loeb regime.

9. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Pretty good episode. Having Hawkeye and Black Widow in the spotlight was pretty cool, and I'd say it worked better here than back in "Molecule Kid" last season. The underwater setting was neat though the animation wasn't all that great, the action scenes were decent. I didn't really care for how they portrayed Clint in the first part of the episode, having him act even more childish than in the other episodes, which is saying a lot. It all worked out in the end I guess, with a pretty satisfying conclusion. And the lack of Namor is disappointing, if Silver Surfer managed to appear on Hulk's show I was kind of expecting Namor to pop up here as well.

10. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I liked Widow and Hawkeye's interactions in this episode, especially on the cruise. They're really good foils for each other.

Giganto...is actually kinda cute. If I could, I'd like to have him as a pet!

Attuma was boring, sadly, but he only really appeared in the last ten minutes. What can ya do?

Hawkeye, despite getting a decent role, is still my least favorite main character on the show by far.

11. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

I enjoyed this a lot more than I thought I would. It wasn't too bad for an episode that focused on no major villains or guests, and put the spotlight on Hawkeye and Widow.

12. Roxas_Sora

Roxas_Sora Well-Known Member

I know this comment comes a week late, but better late than never, I guess. There are a few things I want to comment about "Beneath the Surface":
    + Who keeps saying that Disney and Marvel aren't compatible? Haven't you noticed that Giganto's design was quite similar to Monstro?
    + Maybe it's just me, but those giant robots that the Avengers were fighting during Hawk and Widow's mission... Didn't they look like some old Spider Slayers?
    + I'm really getting tired of Marvel's behaviour trying to avoid the use of a character like Namor, just because of his connection with the Fantastic Four.
    + Now, can somebody please explain me how is it possible that Thor's lightning doesn't work underwater? Last time I checked, attacking a water guy with electricity was the best strategy. Well, unless of course, you are wet too.
    + I was already suspecting that Xartha will turn to be an ally at the end, considering what I read about her counterpart in the comics.
    + Nobody noticed how Falcon's underwater suit looked very much like Stingray's suit?
    + Finally, I think Marvel is really getting a little dumb because it mixed a lot of things here without sense. Last time I checked, the Serpent Crown was used to unleash the power of evil God Seth; and giant marine monsters like Giganto were supposed to be summoned with the Horn of Proteus. Don't you think they really messed up these things around here?

Well, opinions?

13. Christopher Glennon

Christopher Glennon Punch Drunk Flounder
    Staff Member Reporter

I was impressed with this episode...for the most part. Much better than Hawkeye and Black Widow in "Molecule Kid"...to the point I think they could've done MORE spy stuff with them on the ship before going full on underwater in the episode. I know the show needs to have its huge, loud battles, but they could've cut to the robot stuff in between. Have Clint and Natasha pool their strengths more.

Not that I minded the Atlanteans, it's just kind of frustrating to watch an underwater battle where being underwater makes almost no difference in fighting (only with Thor's lightning, but the arrows and the shield and everything else works just as it does on land).

I did like the ending with Hawkeye retrieving the crown. Zartra throwing it away made me upset.

Me too! Poor guy kept getting punched!

14. Alonso Torrejon

Alonso Torrejon Active Member

Like the part where BW and Hawkeye went undercover as cruise attendants.