1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel's Avengers Assemble "Avengers Underground" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Aug 2, 2015.

?

Rate this Avengers Assemble episode

1. *****

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. ***1/2

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Check out a new episode of Marvel's Avengers Assemble today on Disney XD! Will the Squadron Supreme sustain its strategic supremacy? Will the Avengers assemble again and accomplish anything? Will Falcon fail to formulate a formidable foray?

[​IMG]
    Marvel's Avengers Assemble "Avengers Underground"
    Episode Premiere Date - August 2nd, 2015
    Directed by:
    Phil Pignotti
    Written by: Danielle Wolff

The Squadron Supreme has taken over the world, leaving the Avengers for dead. Unbeknownst to the Squadron and the rest of the world, the Avengers are in hiding and working out a new plan to save the planet and stop the Squadron once and for all.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

#1 RoyalRubble, Aug 2, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
  2. Capt.Traphouse

Capt.Traphouse Sexiest Thing Since Sex

Ugh. I'm a bit underwhelmed.

No big fight. Team vs team fight. I know what they were going for and you could argue we got that last episode but still.

Ending seemed rushed.

Opening totalitarian scenes were cool along with Cap using the Power Prism. Blue sun trick as cool along with Black Widow's "No weak Avengers". Super Saiyan Hyperion was cool, poor Nuke. Wish we saw SS fighting more villains, even like a scene of Zarda and Nuke besting Doctor Doom or something.

Lol @ Hyperion's "I state facts". Lol @ how no one took the Middle East.

Nighthawk sending the Doctor Spectrum construct to (what I assume is Tanzania if I have my African geography right) made no sense, it had barely any agency or larger goals.

#2 Capt.Traphouse, Aug 2, 2015
  3. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

To be fair, they were limited to what they could do in 22 minutes.

I thought what we got was excellent. I loved that Hyperion killed those 4 Atlantians.

4. BlackoutCreature

BlackoutCreature Well-Known Member

Yeah, this was disappointing. I've actually been loving what this shows been doing with the Squadron Supreme up until this, including the last episode, but this just fell flat. If ever a multi-parter was needed this was it.

I appreciate the cameos at the beginning, but considering the world we've been introduced to up until this point the Squadron should've encountered a LOT more resistance. Where was SHIELD anyways?

And why did they even bother introducing Nuke in the last episode when he winds up doing absolutely nothing in this one? Based on his appearances I'm not even sure what his powers are supposed to be. Surely they could've come up with a better way to recharge Hyperion at the end? He just came off as a chump.

And yeah, the biggest let down was no final team vs. team showdown at the end. Or at the very least a more definitive Hulk vs. Hyperion final battle.

A very disappointing conclusion to a story arc that up until this point was actually making me a big fan of the series.

5. Capt.Traphouse

That scene was awesome, I just wanted more big, dumb, team vs. team, action. We got a good amount in episode 1 and I loved it, especially Hyperion calling out Ant-Man.

I'm a kid at heart, I like story and character development but sometimes I wanna see stuff go boom.

@BlackoutCreature

Dude, that seems to be par the course for this show. The Avengers had rivals within the Cabal and only Iron-Man got his victory. Attuma got bodied by a giant sea monster, Dracula got put on a bus, M.O.D.O.K got beaten by Ironman shocking his brain, Hyperion joined SS and the robot got bodied, came back to life and got bodied again lol.

6. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

Well, they still worked as a team. It just took one individual to deliver the final blow.

7. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

The Squadron Supreme were just another bunch of villains being evil for evil sake. Heck, they outright said "Desire for power is what brings them together" and other things like how their team are just tools and what not.

For these particular characters, I sincerely hoped from the start they'd take the Kuvira route and make them more dimensional, have the audience see things from their perspective that they are just trying to help society and that the wrongs they commit are merely for the greater good, not all different from their original comic book counterparts.

It's basically like, Watchmen but for younger readers, to an extent.

8. bigdaddy313

bigdaddy313 Well-Known Member

It's funny how the last two episodes are written by the two story editors for next season.

Yes I agree that them believing in what they are doing is a more powerful story telling, cause those kind of people exist in real life and it makes them truly more threatening.

Other than that I am not complaining, it's ok but indeed a truly last battle would have being epic even though we kind of got that they last one.

Lets see how the next two episodes are.

#8 bigdaddy313, Aug 2, 2015
  9. NoOneInParticular

NoOneInParticular New Member

honestly, squadron supreme where scrubs this episode. It took literally nothing to cause them to completely collapse. Everyone got taken down by boxes (They literally just ran into them), Hyperion got beaten by bugs, despite having harder than steel skin and nighthawk was beaten by his inability to recognise that if he wanted to go into space, he should have just flown the ship up instead of flying though half the city. What else is there to talk about? Oh, that's right, nuke... he was a thing.

10. bigdaddy313

bigdaddy313 Well-Known Member

That's very true actually now that I think about it

11. Roxas_Sora

Roxas_Sora Well-Known Member

Honestly, I hope not to see the Squadron Supreme again. I wanna puck everytime that comes to mind that they are "clones" of the Justice League. Considering the problems with the Fantastic Four and the X-Men, I expected the Squadron Supreme would be like a "secondary superhero group". I would really like to see them as real heroes and not as villains. Maybe they could use the old story of "Squadron Supreme vs Squadron Sinister" to do it. They could even use the Grandmaster to explain that part of their history.

I think this was a great episode, although the Avengers defeated them just like the Cabal; because they are bad guys unable of truly cooperate. The Blue Sun thing was really confusing, because it was an obvious reference to Superman's weakness to a Red Sun. They only needed to introduce the "Argonite" (Hyperion's Kryptonite).

I would have liked to see more of the other heroes "defeated" by the Squadron Supreme (Red Hulk, Doctor Strange and, of course, Spider-Man). I'm pretty sure they would have liked to join the Avengers to defeat them. I would have liked to see what happened to Spider-Man, although I suppose he somehow managed to escape after all.

12. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I mostly liked this episode. Solid action, some surprisingly good dialogue ("There are no weak Avengers!" "One of you can go back to tell Attuma. Only one"), etc.

The squad did lose way too easily, but yeah, only 22 minutes. Cap using the prism was really cool, as was the Iron Man/Nighthawk fight.

I was expecting a cliff-hanger, though, considering the season technically has two episodes left...

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Marble

Was Hyperion's solar dependency mentioned before this? It feels like a glaring weakness that should've been exploited before now. Other than that, just a so so episode, but my favorite story arc so far. It felt way less repetitive and better paced than the other three.

Nuke really got the shortchanged.

14. Capt.Traphouse

I hope the Black Order fight is literally nothing but Thanos coming in and just challenging the Avengers. Just fight.

@JoeMabbon now that I think about it, Nuke always seemed to be just a prop rather than a real character. Sad, I liked the few lines of dialogue he had such as calling Hyperion an ox lol.

If I follow you, will you follow back on the Twitterz?

15. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

A fitting final showdown between the Squadron Supreme and the Avengers. I liked that the Avengers realized this wasn't a fight they could win with just brute force alone. They used cunning and subterfuge. Even Hulk cooperated, which was cool.

Hyperion was awesome. He totally wasted that one Atlantean. Still, not sure the Vault can hold them all forever. It never does.

16. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Disappointing episode. The story was too rushed - from the end of the previous story, when the Squadron Supreme took over the world in only a couple of minutes, then apparently defeated all other heroes in the world (and only a couple were shown, and then forgotten). The story could have been fleshed out some more and give the bad guys some proper motivation or a more satisfying conclusion. There were still a few good scenes this time, but I was hoping we'd get to see a full-on fight between the two teams. The way the heroes split up to defeat the villains individually was handled pretty well though. I didn't really care for the Squadron's reasons for breaking up, that seemed pretty rushed and forced as well.

The fight scenes were for the most part good. I especially liked the Iron Man versus Nighthawk battle. Hyperion - for such an all-powerful character - was defeated too easily after being build-up as a huge, unstoppable threat. I liked that Ant-Man continued to have a bigger role on the show but the way he stopped Hyperion was kind of anti-climatic, and didn't make a ton of sense either. Plus, that bit about Hyperion getting his powers from the Sun was never explained before from what I remember though apparently all the characters knew about it. Would have been nice if it was mentioned in some previous stories. Captain America using the Power Prism was pretty awesome, I admit.

Also liked that Falcon lived up to the others' expectations and came up with a plan, hopefully his new role won't be forgotten about in the next episodes, nor will it be overused. The villains didn't really get that much development (not even in their solo adventures prior to this "grand finale"), but Nuke suffered the most. Considering his powers you'd think he could be a bigger threat to the Avengers on his own, not only a power source for Hyperion. Another missed opportunity.

All in all, disappointing but not completely terrible either. Still one of the more enjoyable episodes from this show. I liked some aspects of the episode, the dialogue was better this time, some lines were pretty great, and the humor toned down considerably (except maybe the Hulk's glass figurines gag). I think I enjoyed this Squadron Supreme mini-arc more than the show's previous story-lines. "Spectrums" was probably my favorite episode in the arc, but the others had some neat stuff as well. The finale however, was pretty disappointing.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Not sure if serious, but sure.

Anyway, I think it would be neat if XD aired the last two-parter as a one-hour special.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. spyke

spyke Well-Known Member

I didn't think that this episode was as bad as some here think it is. While the episode had it's fair share of stupid crap in it, the fight scenes were at least decent enough to keep me entertained.

19. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought this was a decent, if a bit anti-climactic, finish to the Squadron Supreme arc. It wasn't a bad episode by any means, and there were some good moments, but it didn't leave as big an impact or was quite as exciting as I was hoping :(.

It would've been nice to have seen more of a response from SHIELD and other heroes to the Squadron taking over New York (and the planet). We saw them taking out Red Hulk, somehow locking up Dr. Strange, and hunting Spider-Man but we saw no response from any of the SHIELD Academy kids, the other Hulks (would Skaar and A-Bomb even be heroes now?), or much from SHIELD at all aside from their gathering those dignitaries. You'd think Fury would have responded quickly to what was going on o_O.

I also think it would've been interesting to see how the Supervillains were handling the Squadron's new world order, especially since they claim that their motivation was to stop crime with a stronger and more extreme stance on how to do it. Granted, there's only so much you can show in one episode, so I'm not going to hold it too much against the episode, but it would've been nice to see nonetheless :).

Seeing the Squadron bicker and come apart at the seams definitely shows how little loyalty or camaraderie there was among the group, if that wasn't obvious already from how they treat each other as little more then tools or means to an end for their own personal objectives. Though I can't help but feel that some of their bickering reminded me of how the Avengers could act towards each other sometimes, while in contrast to the Squadron they were at their most competent in this episode...

Once again, props to Falcon for coming up with pretty much all the plays in this episode and being instrumental to The Avengers managing to beat each of the Squadron. Tony was right in that he should take pointers from Falcon, since Sam was ten times more of a leader than Iron man usually is. Sam really came into his own as a good, tactical, leader in his own right and I hope we see that developed in future episodes ;).

Though I'm at a bit of a cross about how I feel on Falcon's tactics in this episode...on the one hand, they were clever and used the Squadron against each other and took them out in a fairly effective manner. But on the other hand, I was really hoping for an all out brawl between the two teams, and it seemed like that's where things were heading, and frankly the way each Squadron member got taken out felt far too quick and far too easy compared to what I was expecting. Especially considering all the build-up most of the team had gotten beforehand. So, honestly, a little disappointed and surprised on how things ended for most of the Squadron :eek:.

I was also really disappointed in how Nuke was handled, with him contributing little less to the story than just giving Hyperion a power boost and getting easily caught by the team. For the one Squadron Member we knew the least about, and who made a showy debut last episode, his overall role left a lot to be desired :rolleyes:.

I agree with Widow, there are no weak Avengers. There are redundant Avengers who often receive less focus or contribute less than other characters, and sometimes disappear from the show entirely, and have to be powered up by the writers to take on big villains, like Widow herself has been subjected to, but there aren't any weak Avengers :p.

As far as Hyperion getting his powers from the solar rays, I'm not sure if it was ever mentioned in his debut episode but I just assumed it was the case because he's based on Superman :confused:.

The final fights of the episode I'm also iffy on. On the one hand, Iron Man vs. Nighthawk was fitting for seeing the two team leaders go at it head-to-head, and the rest of the team taking on Hyperion to save the planet is a nice book end considering how this whole arc began way back in season one with the The Avengers taking on Hyperion solo. And they were fairly cool fights, with Iron Man managing to come out with a win despite being unable to match Nighthawk's combat proficiency, and The Avengers managing to get Hyperion to use up Nuke's powers :cool:.

But on the other hand it would've felt more appropriate to have Falcon go solo against Nighthawk considering how much their battle of wits has been a major part of this episode, and parts of Hyperion's fight didn't make much sense. Like how Ant-Man could successfully kick him when he still, at that size, should have the proportional strength of a human and I still don't get how those bugs gave Hyperion much trouble other than annoying him. Though I guess Tony getting the last dance with the Big Bad of the arc is tradition at this point, and at least we got to see the rest of the team contribute during the Hyperion fight :D.

20. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I haven't seen every episode of this or knew much about Hyperion before this show, but his weakness concerning the color of the sun's rays shouldn't surprise me since they've been drilling hard on how he's an evil Superman.

• Agree Agree x 1