1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Marvel's Ant-Man" Feature Pre-Release Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by the greenman, Jul 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Release Date: July 17, 2015

Written By: Joe Cornish & Edgar Wright and Adam McKay

Directed By: Peyton Reed

Starring: Paul Rudd as Scott Lang, Michael Douglas as Hank Pym, Corey Stoll as Darren Cross, Evangeline Lilly as Hope Van Dyne

Marvel is definitely going forward with Edgar Wright's long-anticipated Marvel Comics adaptation of "Ant Man". This is a film that has been in the works since 2008, the same year "Iron Man" was released. Buzz for the film has been around for years, even the rumor that Pixar was going to make the film:

[STRIKE]Pixar Wants to Make "Ant Man"[/STRIKE]

Here's the latest news: 'Ant-Man' For 2014? If It Works With Edgar Wright's Schedule, Maybe... | The Playlist Marvel Co-President Talks ANT-MAN; R Rated Marvel Movies

So, now that MARVEL has made a billion off "Avengers" alone, and whatever they get from "Amazing Spider-Man" they could essentially add another film to the PHASE 2" crop of films. I still think they need to toss in "Dr. Strange", the only other film I'm uber-hyped about besides "Ant Man"

News Archive

Trailers
    December 23, 2014: Alberta Film Ratings
    -Classified "PG" w/ 1:48 runtime
    January 2, 2015: Ant-Sized Teaser
    -10 second teaser in advance of Agent Carter premiere
    Janaury 6, 2015: YouTube
    -Trailer #1

Clips
    April 22, 2015
    -Lang finds suit

Images
    -Peeking at guards
    -Leaping at guards
    -Maybe Hank Pym
    -Taking the Elevator
    -SDCC 2014 poster from pre-production art
    -November 7, 2014: CBM
    -December 29, 2014: CBR: Yellowjacket
    -January 6, 2015: ET Cover and Teaser poster
    -January 12, 2015: Hi-res images released wrap up
    -February 26, 2015: Promotional and merchandise art
    -April 9, 2015: EW: Yellowjacket
    -May 6, 2015: Movie Poster
    -May 28, 2015: Movie Poster
    -June 1, 2015: 12 Stills

Announcements

April 28, 2006: Animation Magazine
    -Edgar Wright signed on to co-write and direct

April 17, 2010: Coventry Telegraph
    -Edgar Wright and Joss Whedon met for 1st time

May 19, 2012: TwitchFilm
    -Greenlit

October 15, 2012: Collider
    -November 6, 2015 date

September 9, 2013: Deadline
    -July 31, 2015 date

January 23, 2014: Marvel
    -July 17, 2015 date

May 23, 2014: Bleeding Cool
    -Edgar Wright has stepped down on amicable terms

May 24, 2014: Bleeding Cool
    -6 weeks ago Marvel gave the script to 2 very low credit writers one from Marvel's inhouse writing team.
    -The script came in this week and was completely undone. Poorer, homogenized, and not Edgar's vision.
    -Edgar met with Marvel on Friday to formally exit and the announcement went out directly after.

June 7, 2014 - Marvel
    -Peyton Reed taking over as director
    -Adam McKay contributing to script
    -Synopsis

July 25, 2014 - Deadine
    -Patrick Wilson exits film due to scheduling conflict
    -Matt Gerard and Kevin Weisman exit due to characters deleted from new draft

August 18, 2014 - Marvel
    -Principal Photography Begins in San Francisco
    -Judy Greer, Wood Harris, John Slattery, Bobby Canavale, Michael Pena, Abby Ryder Forston, David Dastmalcian, Gregg Turkington, T.I. confirmed
    -New logline

October 28, 2014 - Agent M
    -Ant-Man will now be the last movie in Phase 2

November 4, 2014 - Stitch Kingdom
    -Revised synopsis
    - 'master thief' replaces 'con man', Michael Pena plays Luis, Bobby Cannavale plays Paxton

December 5, 2014 - Peyton Reed Twitter
    -Principal Photography is completed.

January 8, 2014: EW
    *Paul Rudd
    **It somewhat happened organically. When Edgar left, they were talking about directors and I knew Adam and Adam's brilliant. So he came in to meet with them. He and I had some ideas and so we spent some time rewriting it and wound up doing a rewrite on the whole thing. All of a sudden, this took on a whole new life and was much more intensive that I had maybe anticipated. I've actually found myself in these kinds of situations before maybe not quite on this level, but not far off where all of a sudden you're writing scenes and taking on writing responsibilities. And that's okay. But it's a little strange writing something that's really, truly out of my comfort zone. I wouldn't know how to begin to write [something like this], but sometimes you just hit the ground running, I guess. Thankfully Adam was there.
    **It's their story. We changed some scenes, we added new sequences, we changed some characters, we added new characters. If you took the two scripts and held them up together they'd be very different but the idea is all theirs.
    **The bones of it is really Edgar and Joe. It's been an emotional roller coaster, but I'm very excited now.
    *Kevin Feige
    **It is true that there were disagreements about the direction the script should take. Everything was aboveboard. Everything was done with everybody else's knowledge. There was a sense of 'We're going in this direction, you're staying in this direction—maybe it's best that we end as friends.
    **We wanted Scott Lang to have made mistakes that cost him dearly. But we wanted the audience to be rooting for him despite that.
    *Evangeline Lilly
    **Marvel knew [that first revised screenplay] wasn't good. They just knew it was in the direction they wanted.
    **She's not been in her father's life for a long time. So her arc in the movie as Scott's is with his daughter is trying to find a relationship
    *Peyton Reed
    **He's not used to being a hero. He's more like George Clooney in Ocean's Eleven. He's a guy trying to create a new life for himself and find redemption.
    *Corey Stoll
    **[Darren Cross] was this child prodigy that Hank Pym nurtured.
    **He started to become aware of this fabled technology that can shrink people to half an inch. Now he's discovered his own version of that technology-which has a psychotic effect on people if they use it too much.
    *Scott Lang's allies are portrayed by Clifford "T.I." Harris (Dave), Michael Pena (Luis), and David Dastmalchian (Kurt), whom he meets in prison early in the film.

January 9, 2015: EW
    *Corey Stoll
    **I've discovered my own version of [Pym Particles] and I'm using it for militaristic purposes. I've even started to use the technology myself, which as a sort of psychotic effect on people if they use it too much. I can't get into the details of all the goodies of the Yellowjacket suit but it's several generations advanced from what Ant-Man has. And then I put it on and then I am Yellowjacket!
    **The shrinking, Pym Particles are something of a myth at Pym Technologies but Cross comes across evidence of their existence and demands that Pym handover the tech. Henry refuses out of ethical concerns.
    **Darren Cross and and Henry Pym's daughter Hope Van Dyne collude to wrest control of Pym Technologies from Henry Pym

SDCC 2014

-July 26, 2014 - CBM
    -Ant-Man helmet

-July 26, 2014 - CBM
    -Corey Stoll: Hank Pym's former protege, has Yellowjacket suit, started his own tech company, Pym's corporate partner, relationship soured

-July 26, 2014 - CBR
    -Evangeline Lily: Hope Van Dyne, Hank's daughter

-July 26, 2014 - CBM
    -Q&A w/ Rudd and Stoll

-July 26, 2014 - CBR
    -Clip description

July 28, 2014 - EW
    -My name is Dr. Henry Pym. I'm an entomologist. I'm also a physicist and I discovered in 1963, a way, a serum to reduce a human being to the size of ant maintaining the strength. Not only that, but I was able to find a way to communicate with the ants. But unfortunately during this process, a tragic personal accident happened with my wife, my daughter, Evangeline, Hope. So I've had to pass my powers and strengths onto a mentor.
    -Because my partner, my partner, Corey over there, *** me good. Darren Cross, my partner, my mentor, my nemesis, has taken my company and taken it in a different direction. I need help, I desperately need help. I need someone who's a master thief, someone with a brilliant mind, and somebody who can pull off a really great heist.

Quotes from Peyton Reed

July 29, 2014 - Collider
    -Script not done yet but is terrific
    -Adam McKay adding in Marvel easter eggs

August 6, 2014 - Screen Rant
    -Confirms Cassie Lang

Quotes from Edgar Wright

July 24, 2006: IGN
    -An action-adventure with some comedic elements
    -Henry Pym and Scott Lang
    -We wanted it to be about the guy who steals the suit
    -"Cold War handover" -I like the diving bell kind of outfit. It's a way to get retro cool into a contemporary story
    -One of the things I don't want to do is get into the whole Marvel history: The last thing I want to do is try to cram too much in and fail.

July 25, 2006: Superhero Hype
    -It was weirdly, a treatment we'd written that before "Shaun,"
    -I'd met with Artisan and at the time, they had some of Marvel's lesser-known titles, and they asked if I was a Marvel comics fan, and I said that I always was a Marvel Comics kid, and they said, "Are you interested in any of these titles?" The one that jumped out was "Ant-Man" because I had the John Byrne "Marvel Premiere" from 1979 that David Micheline had done with Scott Lang that was kind of an origin story.
    -I had written a treatment for Ant-Man three years ago
    -So we actually wrote a treatment for it, which was never sent to Marvel. It was like more our pitch on the thing. -So we wrote this treatment revolving around the Scott Lang character, who was a burglar, so he could have gone slightly in the Elmore Leonard route, and they came back saying, "Oh, we wanted to do something that was like a family thing." I don't think it ever got sent to Marvel.
    -So then about two years ago I met Kevin Feige and Ari here and they said, "Are you interested in any Marvel titles?" and I said, "Weirdly enough, I did something for you," so we basically said, "Do you want to read the thing that we did three years ago?" So they read it and that's kind of the basis for what we're working on.
    -I just met them here at the Comic-Con for a general meeting, talking about Marvel Comics, and the fact that they were just really intrigued that they had no idea that I had written a treatment for Ant-Man -a film that basically is about Henry Pym and Scott Lang, so you actually do a prologue where you see Pym as Ant-Man in action in the 60's, in sort of "Tales to Astonish" mode basically, and then the contemporary, sort of flash-forward, is Scott Lang's story, and how he comes to acquire the suit, how he crosses paths with Henry Pym, and then, in an interesting sort of Machiavellian way, teams up with him

February 15, 2007: IGN
    -in a bit of a holding pattern. We're figuring things out with the script and we haven't initiated casting. We still have quite a bit to do.

March 14, 2007: Moviehole.net
    -Nanotechnology and all that. We have done a bit of research on it, yeah - and will continue to do so.
    -It's very early days; that's something that I was involved with even before "Shaun of the Dead"

March 10, 2008: Empireonline.com
    -Working on 2nd draft -going to be less overtly comedic than anything else I've ever done
    -It's more of a full-on action adventure sci-fi film but with a comedic element
    -Both Hank Pym and Scott Lang

June 28, 2008: Firstshowing.com
    -screenwriter Joe Cornish
    -Working on 2nd draft
    -At time, was to be introduced then appear in The Avengers
    -will combine two of the major Ant-Man characters
    -a different way of seeing a superhero origin

February 11, 2010: MTV
    -now that 'Scott Pilgrim' is finished I will return to doing another draft of that one
    -Because that character isn't one of their biggest properties, it's not like a tentpole deadline
    -Lets make a good script that works, that's all about a great genre film, and that isn't necessarily relying on anything else

June 30, 2010: Boxoffice
    -I haven't actually started the second draft yet
    -What we wrote for the first draft, and what Marvel really liked, is that it's funny, but it's a genre film. It's about the level of comedy that Iron Man has.
    -The idea is to make a high-concept genre film where it's within another genre.
    -I just wanted to do something that was slightly different than the superhero origin film.

July 27, 2010: CinemaBlend
    -the chronology of it or the way it works wouldn't really fit in with [Avengers] -is very much an introduction to that character, and so it wasn't something where it felt right to introduce him in that film.
    -maybe there's a later Avengers then they could draft him in later.

July 25, 2011: MTV with Edgar Wright
    -Since February, we've done two drafts of the script, and we just handed in a third draft on Monday

July 12, 2012: digitalspy
    -Script is complete

July 23, 2013: io9
    -Hank Pym confirmed to appear

August 1, 2013: Science Fiction
    -Ultron is wasn't ever part of the script

August 20, 2013: Huffington Post
    -Ultron was never in the script, Ant-Man is doing enough for one movie

August 21, 2013: Indiewire blog
    -Wants to keep it simple

August 26, 2013: Collider (24:38 mark)
    -Pre-Production starts in October 2013
    -Filming starts in 2014

August 27, 2013: Cinema Blend
    -an unlikely hero, a chance at redemption, and so, it's not something, it's going to be, it will be different, but I think it will still feel like one of my films.

November 19, 2013: Entertainment Tonight
    -I want to make him into a badass [laughs]
    -Well, I think the Marvel movies are funny, you know? I think generally the Iron Man films and The Avengers is funny. They're not ever in the comedy section, but they are funny and entertaining, so I think it'll be something in a similar vein to that.

November 19, 2013: SFX
    -Will be like other Marvel movies in rating and comedy

November 22, 2013: IGN
    -Test footage is a good idea of where movie is going

November 26, 2013: ScreenDaily
    -Won't shoot in UK, no space

November 28, 2013: Cultbox
    -I had two issues as a kid, one of them was a reprint of "Tales to Astonish 27" featuring "The Man in the Ant-Hill"...then later I had"Marvel Premiere 47" which was the first appearance of Scott Lang.

February 16, 2014: Edgar Wright tweet
    -Steve Price is scoring movie

Quotes from Adam McKay

October 17, 2014: Collider
    -[Rudd] called me when Edgar Wright stepped away from the project and told me what was going on. I went and met with Marvel, and I was a little dubious just because I'm friends with Edgar and I didn't know what the story was, and then when I kind of heard what happened, that Edgar had parted ways, and then I saw their materials, I was like, "God this is pretty cool". Ultimately I didn't want to jump in as a director, I had too many other projects going and it was too tight, but I thought, "You know what, I can rewrite this, and I can do a lot of good by rewriting it
    -I've always known Paul Rudd's a really good writer from improvising with him on set, but I had no idea he was that good
    -he's really great with dialogue. So the two of us holed up in hotel rooms on the east and west coast, and I think it was like six to eight weeks we just ground it out and did a giant rewrite of the script. I was really proud of what we did, I really thought we put some amazing stuff in there and built on an already strong script from Edgar Wright and sort of just enhanced some stuff -We added some new action beats. I grew up on Marvel Comics so the geek in me was in heaven that I got to add a giant action sequence to the movie; I was so excited. So we did, we added some cool new action. There's a lot that's already in there from what Edgar did, there's a lot of dialogue and character still in there.
    -We just shaped the whole thing, we just tried to streamline it, make it cleaner, make it a little bigger, a little more aggressive, make it funnier in places-we just basically did a rewrite. Edgar had a really good script. But we just had a blast, and Rudd was just so much fun to write with. I walked away saying, 'Hey, you and I gotta write a script together.'

Quotes from Marvel Studios

July 17, 2012: Collider with Louis D'Esposito
    -Wright will 'bring all of the coolest camera angles and shots mixed in with a lot of laughs.' As Wright was shooting, he was cutting it together.
    -might be an opportunity where we do a third film, depending on his schedule when he finishes World's End.
    -The test will prove a lot of things on the visual effects front: how do we handle the shrinking, obviously, and the scale issues, because when he's small, he's a half-inch.

January 25, 2013: Comic Book Movie w/Feige
    -Will be in Phase 3

May 2, 2013: digitalspy w/Feige
    -Now we have to rewrite it to put it a little bit more into the [MCU] because it was written before it existed.

October 23, 2013: IGN w/Feige
    -Casting news by end of year

October 25, 2013: CBM translation of Reviewer w/Feige
    -Edgar Wright is officially in pre-production, he comes to the Marvel office everyday, he and his Marvel partner are tweaking the draft, and we are beginning to have casting discussions. But beyond that, everything is a rumor.

November 8, 2013: Craveonline w/Feige
    -While there is some rewriting that is necessary to bring it into and acknowledge the universe that he inhabits, it's the exact same story that he initially pitched.
    -Confirms Eric O'Grady is not in movie

April 23, 2014: CBM coverage of Empire w/Feige
    -A little bit connective tissue added to script
    -Changed some of the MCU to accommodate this version of Ant-Man -Hank Pym has a very different demeanor than Tony Stark and a very different ego, even when he was younger

June 20, 2014: Total Film with Kevin Feige
    -we start filming this August.
    -much of the movie will still be based very much on that draft and the DNA of what Edgar has created up to this point
    -Adam McKay, a very good writer is reworking parts of the script - not the entirety of the script, but some of it

July 15, 2014: IGN with Kevin Feige
    -"Peyton was attached to Fantastic Four more than 10 years ago. We spent a lot of time together, and I got along with Peyton very, very well and he had awesome ideas and an awesome vision for the movie, and for various reasons he ended up leaving that movie..."
    -He's come in to meet on a lot of our movies over the years, in particular Guardians. He had a lot of awesome things to say on Guardians. But James [Gunn] had a slightly more solid take that was of interest to us. But Peyton was always on our lists, and so when this happened and Edgar [Wright] said 'Not for me' we met with a handful of people, but Peyton was always one that I thought would be great.
    -"It was not a slam-dunk that he would just step into it and do it. He wanted to be sure that he was wasn't just inheriting something or following someone else's lead. Or wasn't inheriting something that the evil studio had watered down to be something bad. I kept saying, 'You can either read what's online, or come in and talk to us and look at all this stuff.' He looked at everything, he talked with us, and he said 'Number one, I agree with the direction you're going in. And number two, I can add to it.' And he has' the movie is in as good a shape as it's ever been right now.
    -"It's still very much in the spirit of what Edgar's original pitch was and the entire template of the movie is what Edgar set out and originally came and pitched us maybe eight years ago now. But it's on its way to being the absolute best version of what that movie could have been."

July 17, 2014: The Guardian w/Feige
    -"We sat round a table and we realised it was not working," he said. "A part of me wishes we could have figured that out in the eight years we were working on it. But better for us and for Edgar that we figure it out then, and not move it through production.We said let's do this together and put out a statement. What do we say? 'Creative differences'. I said: 'That's what they always say and no-one ever believes it.' Edgar said: 'But in this case it's true"
    -"The Marvel movies are very collaborative, and I think they are more collaborative than what he had been used to. And I totally respect that. "[But] the notion that Marvel was scared, the vision was too good, too far out for Marvel is not true. And I don't want to talk too much about that because I think our movies speak to that. Go look at Iron Man 3; go look at The Winter Soldier; go see Guardians of the Galaxy later this month. It would have to be really out there to be too out there for us."
    -"Peyton is going to do a tremendous job and the cast is tremendously dedicated and the script is getting into amazing shape. You wouldn't expect a producer to say anything different, but when that movie comes out it will be the absolute best version of Ant-Man that could have existed." -"The biggest disappointment for me is just the relationship, because I like Edgar very, very much and we were very close for many many years. But the perception that the big evil studio was too scared at the outside-the-box creative vision is just not the case."

July 20, 2014: Empire Online with Kevin Feige
    -"When Edgar left this project, we talked about a number of different filmmakers and had few a few meetings with a few filmmakers and ending up reaching out to Peyton knowing that Peyton is not a slam dunk. He's not just, 'Oh, a movie, I'll take it'. He had to be convinced that the big bad studio hadn't squashed the filmmaker, that we were doing what was right for the movie. He read all the previous drafts and everything that had been created and is elevating it, and really having a clear vision of his own to bring this to life. The cast is incredibly engaged and we're starting on August 18."

April 11, 2015: Slash Film w/Feige
    -It’s not [an after thought]. The truth is the phases mean a lot to me and some people but…Civil War is the start of Phase Three. It just is. And Ant-Man is a different kind of culmination of Phase Two because it very much is in the MCU.
    -You meet new characters and you learn about Hank Pym and his lineage with the MCU over the years. But at the same time, it also picks up the thread of Age of Ultron in terms of heroes – major heroes, Avengers – coming from unexpected places. Whether it’s prison in the case of Scott Lang or being a very disgruntled Sokovian Twins as Wanda and Pietro are in Age of Ultron. And in that way it connects a lot.
    -Also, Hank Pym’s attitude towards Avengers, towards S.H.I.E.L.D, and kind of the cinematic universe in general, is much more informed after the events of Age of Ultron, and in a certain way, before the events of Civil War.

Quotes from others

February 9, 2010: Superherohype w/Stan Lee
    -Marvel is prepping a movie starring-- Ant Man!

April 9, 2011: Superherohype w/Joe Cornish
    -We delivered the 2nd draft of 'Ant-Man 2 days ago

January 8, 2014: MTV w/Judd Apatow
    -I've [Judd Apatow] already seen [Rudd suited up] in our personal lives together, but I'm super excited for him

February 5, 2014: Variety
    -Production starts in April

January 5. 2015: CBR
    -It [Agent Carter] stands alone. It's very different from "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." and the Peggy that you see in our series is very different from the cameo performances that I've had in "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." It's really its own piece, but yet, obviously, because it's Marvel, it's interlinked with lots of the different worlds -- "Captain America" and "Ant-Man."

Teasers

May 5, 2012: Edgar Wright tweet
    -pic of ant art

October 2, 2013: Wright tweet
    -photo of Ant-Man in studio, from test footage(?)
    -Wright back in LA

October 14, 2013: Wright tweet
    -pic of Marvel Premiere Vol 1 #47 featuring Scott Lang

January 5, 2014: Wright blog
    -pic from The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes episode "To Steal an Ant-Man"

January 7, 2014: Wright blog
    -titles from "The Incredible Shrinking Woman"

January 14, 2014: Wright blog
    -DVD of Phase IV

January 29, 2014: Wright blog
    -60s Ant-Man figure

Casting - Michael Douglas

January 13, 2014: Marvel
    -Michael Douglas will portray Hank Pym

January 14, 2014: Reuters
    -I've been dying to do a Marvel picture for so long
    -The script is really fun, the director is really good. Dylan (the actor's 13-year-old son) will love it. He'll have a picture he can see.
    -(Marvel) reciprocated well, there are sequels. Who knows?

September 8, 2014: MTV
    -"My costume will be hung up and Paul will be wearing it in good form."

September 8, 2014: WSJ
    -On being part of the MCU

September 10, 2014: Vulture
    -"I haven't started yet, actually - I go down tomorrow, and it's my 1st day. So I've met him a couple times, but he seems to be in control of this beast, this wild beast"

October 14, 2014 Daily Mail UK
    -1st look as Hank Pym

November 10, 2014: Douglas' FB
    -"Finished my last days on Ant-Man this weekend. Had a great time, a new experience with all these blue screens!"

February 13, 2015: EW
    - It’s fun to do a big-budgeted movie after scraping and scratching along with a lot of these indies, these labors of love. To be in a picture that’s got a built-in audience and has the tide going with you. I’m ready for it, after struggling and fighting for pictures that you believed in, that are maybe off the beaten path.
    -Oh, it’s like I haven’t done anything in my life before Ant-Man. There are so few movies that I could show them when they were growing, because all my pictures were R rated. For years, they thought their mom was the actress and I made pancakes.
    -I wasn’t directly involved with the script. As far as Hank Pym, that was pretty established from the comic books. For me personally it didn’t [change]. I’m sure tonally and everything for Paul [Rudd]—it’s never pleasant and never easy when those changes happen. Though I think they made it as smooth as possible.

Casting - Paul Rudd

October 14, 2013: Variety
    -Paul Rudd and Joseph Gordon-Levitt are frontrunners

October 15, 2013: indiewire
    -Joseph Gordon-Levitt denies audition

October 24, 2013: Schmoes Know
    -Paul Rudd is close to becoming Hank Pym

December 18, 2013: The Wrap
    -Paul Rudd in negotiations to play Hank Pym
    -No comment from Rudd

December 19, 2013: Marvel
    -Paul Rudd set to star

Casting - Evangeline Lilly

February 5, 2014: Variety
    -Evangeline Lilly in early talks for female lead
    -Might by Hank Pym's daughter and Scott Lang's love interest

February 5, 2014: THR
    -Lilly's character not a one-off appearance

November 21, 2014: Innerspace (video)
    -I was nervous, and I kind of held off from signing my contract because I actually wanted to wait and see what would happen. I met Peyton [Reed] and we spoke, and I was convinced that I was going to do the project. He has such impeccable taste, he's so collaborative, so much fun, and so deep into the comic book world. [He] always has been [in that world], all his life, and really knows the genre. I just have no doubt the film is going to be incredible. I think it's gonna be one of Marvel's best.

December 2, 2014: Buzz Feed
    -But we all, I think, signed on very enthusiastically with Edgar. We were excited to work with Edgar. We were fans of Edgar. So when the split happened, I was in the fortunate position where I had not signed my contract yet. So I had the choice to walk away, and I almost did. Because I thought, Well, if it's because Marvel are big bullies, and they just want a puppet and not someone with a vision, I'm not interested in being in this movie. Which is what I was afraid of.
    -I finally got the script literally the day before I was supposed to go in for fittings. I'm not going to do my fitting until I see the script.
    -I saw with my own eyes that Marvel had just pulled the script into their world. I mean, they've established a universe, and everyone has come to expect a certain aesthetic [and] a certain feel for Marvel films. And what Edgar was creating was much more in the Edgar Wright camp of films. They were very different. And I feel like, if [Marvel] had created Edgar's incredible vision - which would have been, like, classic comic book - it would have been such a riot to film [and] it would have been so much fun to watch. [But] it wouldn't have fit in the Marvel Universe. It would have stuck out like a sore thumb, no matter how good it was. It just would have taken you away from this cohesive universe they're trying to create. And therefore it ruins the suspended disbelief that they've built.

December 9, 2014: HuffingtonPost
    - I presumed, when I went into the gig, that I would be sort of a pawn, a cog in the wheel -- I would just be a soldier getting my orders and doing what I had to do because Marvel is such a well established brand that they don't actually have to pander to actors' creative whims. They can do whatever they want, at this point, they're kind of kings of the superhero universe.
    -So for me, I was extremely surprised when I started working and they not only accepted me, but invited my input into the character. They really allowed me to have a hand in shaping Hope Van Dyne
    -Peter [Jackson] had sort of spoiled me with my experience on "The Hobbit" with that kind of level of collaboration, and then Marvel came along and did it again and gave me that kind of creative leverage and freedom. So I can't speak more highly of my experience with Marvel.

December 12, 2014: Empire
    -I was raised by two superheroes. So, I'm a pretty screwed up human being. I am also fairly capable, strong, and kick-ass, which is wonderful to play, but the most fun to play was just how messed up she was from being raised by two superheroes. And the clear message sent by name is that I'm not a big fan of my father and so I took my mother's name.

December 17, 2014: People
    -On Ant-Man, I took a rubber stamp from the office of Hank Pym, who's played by Michael Douglas. If something is small enough to go in my pocket and it will be neat memorabilia, it's gone.

December 17, 2014: CNN
    -She is a very talented, intelligent, capable woman and a force to be reckoned with.
    -[Ant-Man] is very much a heist film. It has all the fun, tension and drama of a good heist film. The heist is being masterminded by myself, my father and Scott Lang

Casting - Corey Stoll

July 28, 2014
    -He is not a villain in the vein of Thanos or Loki, who are villains that know it. [Cross] is a guy who is not that dissimilar from Michael Douglas' character, Hank Pym. A brilliant scientist, who is not ethicnally pure. I think a great thing about the whole movie is that everybody in this movie is in those shades of gray a little bit. I think it will be a fun character to create.

Casting - Judy Greer

October 3, 2014
    -I leave on Monday to post-start
    -I can't even tell you because they haven't let me read the script yet.

December 3, 2014: HeyUGuys
    -I'm Paul Rudd's estranged ex-wife. We have a daughter together and our relationship is, well, estranged, but I feel like my character is still rooting for him to succeed. I guess that's about as much as I can say. They gave us all these papers of things we're allowed to say and things we're not allowed to say, and I left them in Atlanta. Sorry!

January 18, 2015: IGN
    -Paul is so awesome and he’s so great in this role. This has been my first comic hero that I’ve really researched and fallen for. I also think the Ant-Man origin story that we tell in our movie is really beautiful and I think there’s something really real about a man trying to better himself for his family.
    -I haven’t seen it yet but there was a lot of comedy on set and we did a lot of comedic improv. I don’t know what will end up in the movie, but yeah.

Casting - T.I.

September 15, 2014
    -A 'homeboy of Scott Lang'

???: The Breakfast Club
    -It's four of us and each of us is an ex-con, including Ant-Man.

Casting - Bobby Cannavale

December 10, 2014: Screen Crush
    -And that was, again, another personal situation for me. Paul Rudd and I, you know, he's one of my best friends-and he's playing Ant-Man! It's the weirdest thing in the world. We used to play cards for 50 cents a hand when we had no money at the same time, and here he is playing Ant-Man. He called me up and he's like, 'Dude, they want you to play this part. You should come out. It's just me and you in all of the scenes.' It was kind of easy for me to do.

March 1, 2015: Nuke the Fridge
    -It’s pretty funny. I think so. I haven’t seen anything but it felt funny. It’s Paul, so I think they’re not hiring Paul Rudd to be The Winter Soldier. It’s going to have a sense of levity to it, like Guardians of the Galaxy. Guardians is a blue chips superhero movie but it’s a pretty funny film. They just got the right people. When I looked around and saw who I was surrounded by, Corey Stoll, actors I’ve seen for years in little movies that I really liked, it just felt like I belong here.
    -That was a really cool experience because as big as that movie is, and as really as big a production as that was, the actual work in the scenes were really fun. It felt like we were on an indie film. Rudd’s one of my oldest friends so most of our scenes are together, me and Paul and Judy Greer. Both those actors are really good improvisors. Adam McKay and Paul did a big rewrite on that script, so the scenes themselves felt like an indie film. It really felt like a comedy that we were doing. I think that probably happened because Guardians of the Galaxy was such a success. So it didn’t feel like I was working on a really serious superhero movie. It didn’t feel like Thor or something.
    -He’s a new character. I mean, the whole story is pretty new because the origin story of Hank Pym, who’s the original Ant-Man, that’s Michael Douglas’s character. Paul’s character is a protege. The whole story is really new. At least I think that’s true because nobody ever came up to me and said, ‘Hey, you need to dye your hair red’ or something.
    -Then of course you have those big scenes. I spend so much time in front of a blue screen and that was just a trip for me. I’m not used to that kind of thing, but it was a really good combination of bringing a real off the cuff sensibility to a big huge action movie that was really fun.

March 19, 2015: Spinoff
    -Yeah, totally: it was a trip! I've never been in anything like that before. There's a ton of people on this crew. You could fit the entire Station Agent crew in it was just huge! And there's blue screen everywhere. I remember one time we were shooting at nights for three weeks. I had't seen anything behind me that wasn't a blue screen for three nights in a row. I remember one night at four in the morning being frustrated and just saying, If it's going to be blue screen all the time, why can't you just make it be night? Why do we actually have to be here at night?That part of it was baffling to me.
    -But, the actual work the scenes with me and Paul Rudd, and Judy Greer and Michael Pena felt like an indie film. It felt like fun. [Director] Peyton Reed [and the studio], they weren't mercurial about the script. They weren't mercurial about the humor, at all. They let us be in charge of that. We improvised a lot. Judy Greer's very funny. Paul's very funny he's a great improviser. The rewrite of the script that Paul did with McKay and I've worked with McKay before lent itself to that.
    You could see that there's a funny scene and we could actually riff off of that, and that felt impressive to me in this big huge blockbuster film. It made me feel kind of good, that it felt like Marvel was going for something different. It didn't feel like Thor It felt more like Guardians of the Galaxy, which I really enjoyed and I thought brought a certain levity to a superhero movie that I had never seen before
    -But still, it was a trip because I've known Paul for so long, since before he was famous like this, and it's just a trip to see one of your best friends in ridiculous leather suit with dots all over him and you're not supposed to laugh. We just laughed. He's supposed to be this big [pinches fingers together]. Then I'm supposed to see him growing in front of me. But what I'm really seeing is Paul off-camera standing on an apple box. Then he jumps off the apple box. And I'm supposed to act like he's growing in front of me and then lands with this really heroic pose, but he's jumping of a box with green dots on him.
    -He's supposed to have a mask that they CGI in. so I've never seen the mask. Every time I see him to talk, he goes like this [hits a pretend button] because there's a button there that isn't really there. I wasn't used to that. He'd start to talk and he'd be like, [pretends to push button]. I'd ask ridiculous questions all the time. Peyton Reed, he just kept saying, Dude, just do it. But I'd say, I don't understand. Does the mask go up this way or this way? And there's a visual effects guy there and I want an answer.

March 20, 2015: Esquire
    -Judy Greer is in it and she plays my wife

Casting Rumors

October 18, 2013: Superhero Movies News
    -Rashida Jones is frontrunner for Janet Van Dyne, as love interest and major supporting character -Would see multiple references to her future as The Wasp throughout the film

October 24, 2013: Schmoes Know
    -Rashida Jones is close to becoming Janet Van Dyne

November 11, 2013: Bleedingcool
    -Young girl, aged 6 to 9 - intelligent and appealing
    -Asian male, 30s - huge, tough and intimidating, comic ability
    -Caucasian male, 30s - over 6', dangerous and rough, comedic
    -Italian-American male, 50s -scary and unusual features, deadpan humour
    -Russian male - 30s or 40s, wiry and smart, deadpan humour
    -Male, 20s or 30s - Under 5'8'', smart and funny

November 17, 2014: CBM summary of elmayimbe tweets
    -Jessica Chastain considered for female lead

January 14, 2014: The Wrap
    -Michael Pena offered a role

January 14, 2014: ThisIsInfamous via IGN
    -Michael Pena to play an Ant-Man villain, an original character named Castillo who is supposedly appears at the beginning of the film and "plays a larger role as the film develops." He is a Latin American dictator in the vein of Fidel Castro. Castillo will be the film's villain in the beginning, which takes place in the 1960s. It is here that we'll get our introduction to Ant-Man/Hank Pym as a spy fighting against Communism. From there, Ant-Man will move into the modern era, with an aging Pym and the beginning of the Scott Lang story arc, which will eventually get Scott Lang in as Ant-Man. Lang will encounter a second villain along the way, who will serve as his primary villain, but Castillo will wind up playing a larger role as the film develops, much more than just the opening to establish Ant-Man.

January 14, 2014: Variety
    -Rashida Jones and Bryce Dallas Howard offered female lead

February 27, 2014: Deadline
    -Patrick Wilson will join the cast

March 8, 2014: CBM
    -Patrick Wilson has read a script, has an important role, and has not done a costume fitting.

March 9, 2014: Collider
    -Michael Pena is still in talks

March 24, 2014: The Wrap
    -Corey Stoll in talks

April 4, 2014: Deadline
    -Matt Gerald will play a villain

June 19, 2014: The Wrap
    -Corey Stoll will be Darren Cross
    -Patrick Wilson will play Crossfire

July 1, 2014: Deadline
    -David Dastmalchian signed for an unspecified role

October 6, 2014: THR
    -Martin Donovan signed for a pivotal role

November 2, 2014: Project Casting
    -Calls for Peggy Carter stand-in

December 10, 2014: Stitch
    -Jordi Molla will portray Castillo -Tip "T.I." Harris is Dave, David Dastmalchian is Kurt, Wood Harris is Gale and Judy Greer is Maggie

Hiring Rumors

July 7, 2014: CBM
    -Gabriel Ferrari and Andrew Barrer hired as production workers

Test Footage

July 14, 2012: Indiewire blog
    -Description of test footage shown at SDCC

September 12, 2012: Collider w/Victoria Alonso
    -Was shot in June 2012

March 19, 2013: Youtube, Vimeo
    -Recording of test footage

March 19, 2013: Toonzone post, Toonzone post, April 2, 2013: Cosmic Book News
    -Grabs from test footage

Story Rumors/Unconfirmed Points

November 1, 2012: Roger Wardell Tweet
    -A.I.M. figures into script

June 19, 2014: Joblo
    -Story begins with Scott Lang being a thief and single dad who has fallen on hard times and one day breaks into Hank Pym's apartment and steals the Ant-Man suit.
    -The main villain's name is Darren Cross who, in the comics, runs Cross Technological Enterprises, a competitor company for Stark Industries and Oscorp. His cousin is the villain known as Crossfire. He will have a suit with a similar feel to Ant-man's but more military style, yellow and black in color, and with a tendril-looking apparatus coming off it's back (like with Agent Venom). It's to note that in the comics Cross looks more like a pink Hulk, so there may well be some merging of attributes from other characters for this role or multiple villains at that.
    -The suit will be much more elaborate than we've seen so far with the helmet being able to open and close much like Iron Man and an assortment of red lights all over the suit, again in "TRON" fashion. The helmet eyes will also glow red when closed. It's said to be a much more complex and futuristic suit than we've seen so far.
    -Ants are the main ally and superpower for ANT-MAN. Lang will speak to the ants via his helmet, just as in the comics, which is said to be a special element to the overall story.

August 14, 2014: Latino Review
    -1st act prologue - Flashback - Hank Pym at S.H.I.E.L.D. meeting w/ Howard Stark, Peggy Carter, Alexander Pierce, and Armin Zola.

August 21, 2014: Badass Digest
    -Hope doesn't suit up

October 16, 2014: StarLog
    -Ant-Man will take place alongside the events of Age of Ultron, the fall-out of which will spur on the Superhuman Registration Act. The references of the MCU will come from Pym's past as a scientist for S.H.I.E.L.D. in the 60s, having worked alongside Howard Stark, Arnim Zola and Alexander Pierce. However, in this flashback sequence, Pym will supposedly also have a run-in with a young military hot-head by the name of Thaddeus "Thunderbolt" Ross
    -S.H.I.E.L.D.'s downfall forced Pym into the private sector, which makes him vulnerable and essentially serves as catalyst for the events that follow in Ant-Man. A shooting draft of Ant-Man's post-credit stinger shows the older Ross re-appearing to Pym, claiming he'd been sent by Tony Stark. When asked why, Ross allegedly responds, "Haven't you seen the news? We're at war."

June 1, 2015
    -Oscorp is potential buyer for Yellowjacket tech

Old Script
    May 23, 2015: CBM/Empire
    -Nano Warrior was main villain
    -Lang mentored by Pym
    -cameos from MCU characters
    -Wright wrote post credit teaser for Age of Ultron

Comic
    January 7, 2015: Newsarama
    -Uncolored pages, interview w/writer

January 29, 2015: Newsarama, February 4: Previews World
    -Preview Part 1

February 25, 2015: CBR, February 26: CB
    -Preview Part 2, interview w/writer

March 3, 2015: Marvel Digital Comics
    -Infinite Comic #1 Scott Lang: Small Time

#1 the greenman, Jul 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2015
  2. Pepperidge

Pepperidge Active Member

So considering that Hank Pym is supposed to be Ant Man several decades in the past, does anyone think this means we'll see him don the Yellowjacket persona as a fat, sweaty old man in the present? Somehow that seems fitting.

3. the greenman

I don't know about Yellowjacket, but I'd be more worried about Wasp and the Giant Man aspect.

4. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

To be honest, unless Ultron is in the film, I have little interest. I just feel that most of Ant-Man's villain gallery is lame.

5. Dragnatek

Dragnatek Well-Known Member

I kind of agree, yes Utrom is Ant-Man's only real interesting villain but Ultron should be kept for an Avengers movie. Anyway they can always revise Ant-Man's other villains and make them more interesting.

Though I do think he should be working on Ultron during the movie.

6. Spideyzilla

Spideyzilla Well-Known Member

He could been seen developing plans for Ultron. I like it when a villain's story is built up through different movies.

7. Poweranimals

Poweranimals Invincible

What does he mean when he says they're building a bench?

8. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Apparently Marvel Studios doesn't want to depend on Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America as lynchpin movies for each phase of the MCU. They want to popularize more characters. Those three will always be the "all-stars" but they also want a just as adored "bench" of other heroes to use.

9. the greenman

10. dmxx116

dmxx116 Well-Known Member

11. The Talon

The Talon Active Member

Great, he's missing out on The Avengers 2 as well? Well, hopefully he'll make a cameo in Iron Man 3 as originally reported.

12. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

If he's going to make a cameo in Iron Man 3, he'll definitely likely to appear in Avengers 2 in some shape or form.

13. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I think he'll appear in Avengers 2.....just not as Ant-Man, but as Hank Pym.

14. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It's good that Marvel is aware of how they can't just rely on the trinity movies for the Cinematic Universe, and I'm all for creating multiple franchises based off other Marvel heroes.

Judging by the release date, it doesn't look like Ant-Man or Wasp will be joining the Avengers yet though I wouldn't rule out a Pym appearance in Avengers 2.

I'm actually really interested to see how they'll handle Hank and Jan, since if Pym was active as Ant-Man in the 1960's then the two would be much too old to be superheroing by modern times. Unless they don't plan to use Jan as a romantic interest for Pym, which would let them introduce her in modern times where Pym could still develop her suit so she could become Wasp.

15. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

They've moved dates before so it's tentative for now, imo.

Thanks to Thor as well as one of the movie's deleted scenes, Selvig was a colleague of Pym and knew Pym had prior dealings with S.H.I.E.L.D. so it's safe to guess Pym was/is a consultant and/or was strong-armed like Jane Foster. Yeah, it's moot if the stuff in the deleted material is still canon but it's all we have to speculate on right now.

16. the greenman

17. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

I'm skeptical. They list Nathan Fillion as one of the top candidates but he's publicly said he thinks Ant-Man is stupid and wouldn't want to play the part. I also still think things are pointing to Scott Lang being the film's Ant-Man, not Pym anyway.

As for the Avengers 2 thing, it's possible they could introduce Jan independent of Ant-Man. That's what they were going to do with the first movie, at least. Whedon's confirmed Wasp was supposed to be part of the Avengers but he had to write her out of the script because it had too many characters. So they could introduce her in the sequel on her own and then give Ant-Man his solo movie. It's even more likely if they're using Lang and not Pym.

18. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

This rumor is interesting. Allegedly A.I.M. figures into the Ant-Man movie. We've seen a set photo for A.I.M. in Iron Man 3 and Ant-Man is rumored to appear in that movie's teaser.

19. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

There's a rumor going around that one of the post-credit scenes in Iron Man 3 will involve Ant-Man somehow so that rumor seems likely.

20. Astrolupine

Astrolupine Man on the wing.

A.I.M., eh?

I suppose MODOK could make do as a foe for Ant-Man, there's clearly no room for him in IM3. Also, his giant head would make for an interesting area for Pym to explore. (in fabulous 3D!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.