1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (TV Series)" General News and Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by tazmaniak, Aug 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tazmaniak

tazmaniak Member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Season 2 Premiere Date: September 23, 2014, Tuesdays at 9 PM
    Season 1 DVD/Blu-Ray:
    September 9, 2014​
    Staff: Joss Whedon as Executive Director, Jed Whedon, Maurissa Tancharoen, and Jeffrey Bell as Writers/Showrunners, Shalisha Francis as Writer/Co-Producer, and Bear McCreary as Composer
    Writers: Maurissa Tancharoen, Joss Whedon, Jed Whedon, Jeffrey Bell, Paul Zbyszewski, Monica Breen, Brent Fletcher, Lauren LeFranc, Rafe Judkins, and Shalisha Francis
    Starring: Clark Gregg as Agent Coulson, Ming-Na Wen as Agent May, Iain De Caestecker as Agent Fitz, Elizabeth Henstridge as Agent Simmons, Brett Dalton as Agent Grant, and Chloe Bennet as Skye
    Official Sites: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Facebook, @Twitter, ABC Website,
    Sources: IGN 5/14/14, Inside Line 5/14/14, AoS FB 7/2/14, IGN 7/2/14, AoS Tweet 7/9/14, TV Guide 7/15/14, THR 7/15/14, KSite 7/16/14, Spinoff 7/17/14, TV Guide 7/18, TV Guide 7/21, e!Online 7/21, TV Line 7/21, Digital Spy 7/24, CBR 7/25/14, IGN 7/26/14, Deadline 7/29/14, TV Guide 8/6/14, TV Line 8/7/14, TV Line 8/7/14, CBM 8/13/14, Marvel Tweet 8/18/14, CBR 8/19/14, THR 8/19/14, Marvel 8/21/14,
    Comics: The Chase,

Related Pre-Release Discussions:
    -Marvel Cinematic Universe News and Discussion

Season One Episode Talkback Threads:

01. Pilot Airdate: 09/24/13 (Takes place after The Avengers and Iron Man 3)
    02. 0-8-4 Airdate: 10/01/13
    03. The Asset Airdate: 10/08/13
    04. Eye Spy Airdate: 10/15/13
    05. The Girl in the Flower Dress Airdate: 10/22/13 [5 episode run, 2 week break]
    06. F.Z.Z.T. Airdate: 11/05/13
    07. The Hub Airdate: 11/12/13
    08. The Well Airdate: 11/19/13 (Takes place after Thor: The Dark World)
    09. Repairs Airdate: 11/26/13 [4 episode run, 2 week break]
    10. The Bridge Airdate :12/10/13 [1 episode run, 4 week break]
    11. The Magical Place Airdate: 01/07/14
    12. Seeds Airdate: 01/14/14 [2 episode run, 3 week break]
    13. T.R.A.C.K.S. Airdate: 02/04/14 [1 episode run, 4 week break]
    14. T.A.H.I.T.I. Airdate: 03/04/14 (Simmons notes she's known Skye for a few months)
    15. Yes Men Airdate: 03/11/14
    16. End of the Beginning Airdate: 04/01/14 (before and during Captain America: The Winter Soldier)
    17. Turn, Turn, Turn Airdate: 04/08/14 (during and after Captain America: The Winter Soldier)
    18. Providence Airdate: 04/15/14
    19. The Only Light In The Darkness Airdate: 04/22/14
    20. Nothing Personal Airdate: 04/29/14
    21. Ragtag Airdate: 05/06/14
    22. Beginning of the End Airdate: 05/13/14
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ABC has ordered a pilot for Marvel TV's Joss Whedon developed series, S.H.I.E.L.D.

ABC Marvel 'SHIELD' Pilot -- Joss Whedon To Co-Write, May Direct

Production on the potential series, which we only learned of a month ago, will start immediately. The pilot will be written by Whedon, his brother Jed and sister-in-law Maurissa Tancharoen.

#1 tazmaniak, Aug 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2014
  2. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Very cool news... except for those that want Dr. Horrible 2 made, lol.

3. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

Some of us on these boards called it. It makes the most sense. Hope Samuel l. Jackson appears in the pilot. Now if only they would make Hulk part of the MCU.

4. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

More details from a Writers Guild Theater Q&A Joss Whedon moderated at tonight
    (Sources: CBM 8/28/12, Variety 8/28/12)

5. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

Nice to see he's not running to Fox this time.

6. the greenman

Well I kinda hope they will allow IM3 and Cap 2 to lead this along in story anyway.

7. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

Are there going to be any superheroes in it? 'Cause that could be a deal breaker. Some viewers don't care about SHIELD beyond its' association with capes, so I imagine doing a SHIELD show with no Supers would be a hard sell.

8. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

This. Most people I know will only watch this if, say, Iron Man, Thor, or Hulk appear. If its just Nick and Mariah, with an occasional guest star, I wonder how ratings will be.

9. Darklordavaitor

Darklordavaitor Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I dunno, I honestly think that there is enough people who will watch anything that is said to be a part of the Avengers movie franchise to help make this show stay on for a while.

10. tazmaniak

tazmaniak Member

Of course the show will have superheroes in it. It's Marvel Studios' first live action series. No way are they not going to use their entire universe.

While I was excited for Jessica Jones, Hulk, Mockingbird, Cloak and Dagger and any other series they had in development, I believe this was the absolute best choice to go with.

While those are great concepts, they're about one specific thing with a specific group of characters. S.H.I.E.L.D. is about an entire organization who monitors the activities of superhuman villains and heroes. This show could be about anything from any corner of the Marvel Universe. This is a good platform to introduce and flesh out any Marvel character or concept that wouldn't be explored in the films.

It just boggles the mind the many directions they could go with this show. The show could be about magic one week, time travel the next, robots after that and then a crime story about the Maggia or something. You could do anything. It's S.H.I.E.L.D.

Much like DC with Smallville, this is Marvel's first live-action opportunity to introduce multiple characters to a mainstream audience. They've never had this before. Yes, the Marvel Studios are mainstream, but you only get two 2-hour films per year that are focused on certain characters. This will be a 13-22 episodes a season. Plenty of time to introduce and flesh out characters.

I am really looking forward to what they do with this series.

11. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

The time frame this show takes place in will be interesting to put together, imo. Hopefully, stuff like news flashes on TV screens or something like the ending of Iron Man 2.

I don't think he would have since ABC and Disney work together... and I think Whedon is done with getting the football yanked away by Lucy when he's about to punt.

12. the greenman

I think Cap 2 will tie in significantly. Hopefully they will probably give us the whole SHIELD origin in the film and this way we can concentrate more on new stuff in the series.

I imagine now that Marvel has SHIELD in production and it more than likely will be picked up, they can get the other series out there tagged as spinoffs.

13. Spideyzilla

Spideyzilla Well-Known Member

I wonder about the cast. I highly doubt Samuel L. Jackson will have time to film a television series, and having Nick Fury is essential. Colbie Smulders might have time, but that remains to be seen. I don't know about this. It always bugs me when I see TV shows based on movies with totally different casts. Especially one like this, which is trying to be part of an ongoing universe.

14. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Especially Mockingbird. Imagine ABC and ABC Family having a two part cross over between S.H.I.E.L.D. and Mockingbird?

Unless the primary POV is from the trenches of the organization and not the higher echelon. I think it's allegedly going to be a procedural after all. Maybe Item 47 is a preview of things to come. This show is sorta unprecedented, but with Whedon involved, they could get some of the actors from the movies to do smaller roles (cameos or a one episode guest spot).

EDIT: Joss Whedon talked a little more...

#14 Yojimbo, Aug 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2012
  15. Lighthammer

Lighthammer Bringer of the Light

Joss Whedon Talks S.H.I.E.L.D. and His Overall Marvel Deal

Here's some really interesting info:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/08/30/joss-whedon-talks-shield-and-his-overall-marvel-deal?utm_campaign=ign+main+twitter&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social​

16. macattack

macattack I see you!
    Staff Member Reporter

I wonder if Whedon has effectively replaced Jeph Loeb as head of Marvel TV. It's starting to sound like that to me, that Loeb is mostly going to be a figurehead for the next three years while Whedon runs the show, and it'll be up to Loeb to continue where Whedon leaves off in 2015.

17. Lighthammer

Lighthammer Bringer of the Light

Has Whedon really picked up that much power? Its hard of me to think of him as anything beyond the voice of Spiderman >.<

18. the greenman

I've been thinking about that too. I thought Loeb was just in charge of television or at least animation. Either way it's an improvement, because they have someone who's been successful in both fields. It's too bad Kevin Smith is retiring after Hit Somebody cause he might be okay for getting things together at DC. Providing he can handle things on time he's no Chris Nolan but. . .

19. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Loeb's listed as one of the producers (not writing) along with Jeffrey Bell.

20. the greenman

Yes, but what we were discussing is whether or not Whedon has been put in a position to control the development of certain MCU projects.

Loeb has always been in charge of television properties, but getting this done Whedon seems to have usurped his position. On IMDB, Loeb is the position of executive producer on S.H.I.E.L.D. which means nothing cause he seems to be in a similar situaton as Joe Quesada. Other than probably having to sign off his approval in some in-house circulated letter so he gets paid credit, I doubt he had much say in this project.

Loeb certainly does not have the power that say Bruce Timm has over at WB for putting his stamp on projects. Timm however seems to be very humble and has not worked on much up until Green Lantern. Loeb has yet to prove himself with something of the greatness that was the DCAU. Even though Timm will admit that it was a concerted effort on the parts of Burnett, Dini, McDuffie, Tucker, and Marukami.

Whedon came in at the last minute of Phase One and stream-lined things to make sense for his Avengers film. Successfully kinda welding together the MCU, Loeb. . . not so much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.