Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. "The Only Light in the Darkness" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by The Penguin, Apr 22, 2014.

1. The Penguin

The Penguin Regiver

"Was he married?"
    "No, there was a cellist, I think."

Please note, this thread may contain spoilers and references to the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

[​IMG]
    "The Only Light in the Darkness"
    Tuesday, April 22, 2014 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on ABC
    With their world turned upside down, Coulson races to save the life of his one true love as the mystery of "The Cellist," which began in Marvel's The Avengers, is finally revealed.

#1.18: "Providence"

ABC.com - Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

2. Gold Guy

Gold Guy This ain't Pokemon!

Really enjoyed the episode.

Amy Acker was pretty cool as the cellist. I hope we get more scenes with her and Coulson later!

Blackout was kinda creepy, with the whole light effects thing.

I love how in the climax, the violin music was interwoven with the Skye/Ward scenes.

I was shocked that Koenig was already killed off! I hope Skye has a cool plan!

The final scene was cool. That lady (May's mother) mentioned another organization. SWORD?

3. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.

Pretty good. Like how SHIELD and Hydra are still part of public debate with that radio station during the cold open.

Koenig's intro for the Lie Detector was hilarious. They do love mentioning Black Widow on this show. It was also a quick and dirty way to learn a few more things about the team. May was married once. Trip is Gabe Jones' grandson. Koenig geeked over that. Simmons mentions the Tardis. Ward has a sister. Garrett did know Pierce. May shook Pierce's hand once.

Glad Coulson realized it was time to drop it with May but... too late. Speaking of, glad she's sorta back to being a wild card/ace in the hole. Her mom was hilarious. "It's too late." lmao. Definitely sums up why May is May.

Simmons was adorable as always. Audrey seeing though her CIA lie was amusing.

Really cool to meet the Cellist at last. But too bad they didn't have a true reunion. Here's hoping.

Bummer they killed off Koenig and Daniels. Koenig was awesome. I mean, come on. Patton Oswalt. And Daniels would have been a good recurring villain.

Bruce Banner name drop was dope. Coulson's reaction? Priceless. It'll go off without a hitch. heh.

I always watch for the preview of next week but the one bit involving Maria. I wish I didn't watch the preview.

I was just thinking FBI, CIA, or NSA. But she does know Maria somehow. Hmm.

4. Tohya

Tohya deficit omne quod nasciture

Eh.....don't think he was actually defeated. Remember that Blackout was made up entirely of Darkforce, something like getting exploded to bits seems like only a minor setback for a guy like this.

I loved the nod at Skye's criticism by fans when she said that her given name at the orphanage was"Mary Sue Poots". Very well played. Im also glad they revealed that Trip's grandfather was a Howling Commando. It was kind of bugging me why he wasn't turned along with Ward, now it makes sense.

Also I haven't really liked the reasoning behind Coulson not revealing his being alive to certain people. It made sense why he chose not to do it in this episode with Audrey but why he didn't immediately go seek her out when he did recover didn't. Its not like he was dead for 3 years and came back fo life. You dont move on from a person dying in half a year...which was made clear by Audrey. Oh well.

Although I did enjoy Gregg and Acker's performances. Even though they shared virtually zero screen time together and spoke no words to each other they did great job of expressing the love they had for each other. You could tell they had shared an intense relationship.

Also im glad there was a payoff to the whole May and Coulson dynamic. I wasn't enjoying Coulson continuing to be a total jerk to her. But I guess it was the only to get her to leave the base. And it was also worth just for the hilarious exchange between Mays mother and her.

Speaking of her mother Id be surprised if the agency she mentioned is national. I would think it would be foreign.

So I guess there's no redeeming Ward, which im glad they went full evil with him. It works much better then the reluctant bad guy. It'll be interesting to see what happens with his character next season...if he doesn't get off'd this season that is.

5. darkdetective

darkdetective Reporter

Hasn't Coulson been "dead" for two years now?

6. Tohya

He has been but my point is he wasn't in "Tahiti" for two years. Why didn't he reach out to her once he had recovered? His explanation was that she was healing and moving on but he hadnt been dead long enough for him to come to that kind of reasoning. Im just wondering what his actual reasons were.

7. darkdetective

darkdetective Reporter

She didn't have security clearance?

8. Tohya

People knowing he was alive never seemed to be an issue of classified information. Not an issue the show ever mentioned anyways. It was always the how he wa s alive that was secretive. Plus the episode made it clear that wasn't the reason anyways.

9. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi

The lady with Melinda May, seemed like her mother, wasn't necessarily SWORD. She could be with Chinese Intelligence for all we know. I wonder what Skye's plan was. She knows Ward is HYDRA now and she was getting some stuff from closet like she was going to make some sort of make shift concoction or blow torch to attack Ward. However, instead she went off with him on the SHIELD bus. I guess she saw no choice but to go with him with no real way to break the ruse and defend herself. Perhaps she used some chemicals to write a hidden message for her team so they can come and find her. I assume that's the best possible move. However, next week it looks like Talbot and Hill and going to slow Coulson down from a rescue while Deathlock is on the attack.

10. bat313

bat313 Active Member

Anyone else notice the penny that kept falling every time they opened the closet? I'm guessing Ward put it up there so he would know if Skye entered the closet and found out about Koenig's death. Smart of Skye to quickly put it back.

11. reflection

reflection Active Member

I think Skye left a message and was planning on taking Ward out, but Ward outsmarted her. I think he knows she knows, but he needs her and now she needs him.

12. Tohya

I honestly don't think Ward knows she knows. If its one thing I think the show has been subtly playing up is his arrogance.

13. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.

Good point. Darkforce can be used for teleportation.

For us. In-universe, it's only been a little over a year.

14. darkdetective

darkdetective Reporter

In universe, Cap 2 takes place 2 years after the Avengers, so he's been dead for 2 years.

15. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.

I thought they said the time between Avengers and Avengers 2 is two years and Cap 2 is in the middle, hence a year.

EDIT: Scratch that. Feels like more timeline adjusting is coming once Phase 2 is done, in part thanks to AOS adding another layer of complexity. Hopefully the forthcoming Art of Age of Ultron book will have a timeline spread like the first Avengers. Johansson said that two year thing and Feige sorta confirmed TWS is one year after Avengers but not really but definitely confirmed TWS is 'smack dab' between Avengers 1 and 2. AOS indicates not much time passed between TDW and TWS (a few months) and 2 years passed between Thor 1 and 2.

16. reflection

reflection Active Member

Portal creation is listed as a power on Wikipedia.

17. Tohya

How long its been since Coulson's "death" is irrelevant really. It didnt take Coulson two years to get resurrected and since him being alive is no secret the reasoning in not reaching out to Audrey sounded like it was fabricated. I wondered if it was intentional on the shows part or just not a lot of thought put into it.

18. reflection

reflection Active Member

Him being alive is a secret to some people and he wants to keep it that way.

19. Tohya

Which is my point. Why does he wanna keep it a secret to some (The Avengers, Audrey) and not to others. The show hasn't really focused on that. We can give our own assumptions as to why but like I said eariler...the status of his morality isn't classified information.

20. darkdetective

darkdetective Reporter

Didn't they imply that it was in the first episode? Like you have to have level 7 security clearance?