1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. "Shadows" Season Premiere Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by The Penguin, Sep 23, 2014.

1. The Penguin

The Penguin All Hail the King!
    Staff Member Moderator

"Before it was torn apart, S.H.I.E.L.D. was a lot of moving parts. Guys like you were the heart. Now... you'll be the head."

Need a season one refresher? Star Clark Gregg shared this rhyming recap last week. After defeating HYDRA on all fronts, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. starts the rebuilding process tonight at 9 p.m. ET on ABC.

Please note, this thread may contain spoilers and references to the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

'Like' Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. on Facebook
    'Follow' Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. on Twitter

[​IMG]
    "Shadows" - Season Premiere
    Tuesday, September 23, 2014 @ 9 p.m. ET/8 CT on ABC
    Even as wanted fugitives with limited resources, the team continues to work to keep the world safe.

#1.22: "Beginning of the End"

ABC.com - Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

2. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Very packed episode. Where do I start?

Plenty of new characters. I'm not sure I like any of them yet, but they'll need time to grow on me.

Absorbing Man was hardcore, wow. The effects used for him were great!

The whole time, I thought he was going to try to absorb that mysterious metal, but I guess he's the only one who can hold it safely.

The final 10 minutes were very intense. Wow!

Poor Fitz. That twist at the end may be the best done one in the whole series. Completely surprised me.

3. Tohya

Tohya deficit omne quod nasciture

Looks like those new characters are done so you may not need to concern yourself with weather they will grow on you or not =p

Man has this show come a long way. I mean, the episode basically starts out as a teaser for Agent Carter (awesome) and just never stops. I want to say that I'm disappointed they reconciled Ward so quickly but they at least made it to where it makes the most sense. Ward has always cared for Skye, HYDRA and all, so you can't be mad with the angle they used. Anyways, gotta love how edgy the show's getting. Not only they did totally cut Izzy's arm off like Im sure all of us watching were screaming for them to do but they totally offed them at the end too. And the thing with Fitz, jesus that was bleak. Great job by AoS of not copping out and magically giving him his intellect back. All in all, this show has hit its stride. I love it.

4. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Amazing opening episode. Really stoked it's kept the momentum from last season's finale.

Opener: Loved how it doubled as a link to the main story and set up the Agent Carter show. Very cool they got Morita and Dugan back, too. Hope to see them on Agent Carter, too. Neat angle they alluded to the Obelisk being from an alien crash, imo. The origin of the 0-8-4 designation cracked me up. Good to hear mentions of Red Skull and Howard Stark.

Main Story: Creel makes for a great villain. Hope he sticks around. Love how he's been portrayed and his SFX is awesome. Figures he's a HYDRA recruit since he's a gifted. Loved the link to Garrett. Hilarious when Sunil Bakshi does his "Hail, HYDRA!" and Creel responds with a "Yeah." :D. Can't go wrong with the ball and chain nod.

Hmm, so the Playground, like the Guest House was a black ops facility and a SSR bunker. Very clever of Fury to re-appropriate them. Good move to skip ahead a couple months. Wonder when those London allies Coulson mentioned will come into play...

Watching Fitz and realizing he was talking to himself the whole time was :sad:. But the right way to play it, rather than have him back to normal. The cloaking problem was a nice callback to season one. I think it was in "Repairs" when Coulson asks Fitz if they had the function for the Bus and Fitz reiterates only the Helicarriers had cloaking. Also good of them to bring up the alien equation and the Koenig theory right away. Triplett's "Every day, another brother" cracked me up.

Figured they would play up Ward as Hannibal Lector in Silence of the Lambs.

Oh, that map of HYDRA bases. They have a lot of work to ahead of themselves.

Talbot is the perfect foil for Coulson. So awesome watching him getting punked this episode. But that was rather dumb of him to publicly announce he had everything in a secure facility. Even if all of HYDRA was defeated, there are others out there who wouldn't mind raiding it.

Most of all, it was interesting to see how Coulson would run an op, the risks he would take for getting the 0-8-4 and a Quinjet. I wasn't feeling anything for the rookies since it was the first episode but that last scene... especially with Hartley. Bummer.

And we have a new HYDRA villain who hasn't aged a bit. Nice. Well, bad but the season's threat level has been firmly established.

5. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

Episode #1

Samuel L. Jackson is not shown in the recap. This is likely indicative of the production crew having to pay him even to reuse prior shot material.

Kill us with Fitz, why don't you.

Ah, so there are multiple Koenig brothers. I wonder to what extent we will see them all?

I am a bit surprised Talbot was in the episode as much as he was. I'm glad he will be a regular part of the series.

6. ShadowGUN

ShadowGUN YES!YES!YES!

Great episode. Much better that first season 1 episode. Watching the episode again I notice that Fitz appears to be aware of his delusions. He ask Mai if the piece of Absorbing Man was bleeding and was relieved that she say yes. I wonder if he also aware that "Simmons" if one those delusions as well?

7. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

So, Simmons was actually Fitz's subconscious. If his subconscious is constantly trying to tell him he is getting better--or actually is better--I wonder if Fitz's inability to work at full speed is actually due to a psychological issue, rather than a physically damaged brain? Simmons leaving him was clearly a shock to him, so much so that his brain is now split between trying to work, heal itself, and masquerade as Simmons. If Fitz can receive a good psychological shock I think his consciousness will snap back in place and his mind can stop trying to fill a void he refuses to accept as truth.

Personally, I just don't sense that Fitz is done for.

8. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Hmm, I don't know. Would they kill off Lucy Lawless so fast?

9. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Give Hunter a reason to shape up?

EDIT: D'oh! Upon rewatch, I noticed the mystery alien equation is written all over the Obelisk. So it's likely connected to the Guest House alien. So HYDRA and the SSR found an alien wreck some time during the war? Wild.

10. Tohya

Tohya deficit omne quod nasciture

Its pretty obvious that he isn't. They wouldn't have had him survive just so he could be a shell of his former self for the of the rest of the season. I mean, that would be morbidly awesome but anybody who watches TV can pretty much guess how this storyline is gonna get resolved.

11. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm half-hoping Fitz gets powers.....somehow. Hey, you never know. Maybe he'll find an alien artifact of his own.

12. macattack

macattack I see you!
    Staff Member Reporter

Melinda May's been under the same ad campaign as Fitz. There was a "What will SHE become?" message for her. Maybe they'll both wind up being turned into something.

This was a solid start to the season. Shame to see Lucy Lawless' character killed off so quickly, but I honestly expect to see her again in some form. You don't bring someone with Lawless' name into the show just to kill her right away. I'm expecting a resurrection for her character before the season is over.

13. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Interesting easter egg theory about Wakanda. I doubt it but who knows?

Whoa. That was the G.H. alien in the box Dum Dum was about to open. And it appears part of the equation is tattooed in his arm.
    [​IMG]

Since things tend to get renamed in the MCU, maybe the Obelisk is the Crystal of Ultimate Vision from the Kree. I believe it could grant immortality.

14. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Turns out there was another easter egg in the episode. The telegram informing everyone of Red Skull's death was sent by an officer named Wolfgang Brenner. He was Red Skull's assistant in the comics.

The telegram was in the Season 2 Declassified book and most of it was translated online.