1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." Season Three Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by The Penguin, Sep 29, 2015.

1. The Penguin

The Penguin All Hail the King!
    Staff Member Moderator

"Emancipation" May 10, 2016

Time to be honest? Tonight at 9 p.m. ET on ABC.

Please note, this thread may contain spoilers and references to the Marvel Cinematic Universe (including Captain America: Civil War).

[​IMG]
    "Emancipation"
    Tuesday, May 10, 2016 @ 9 p.m. ET/8 CT on ABC
    S.H.I.E.L.D. feel like they must be open about their involvement with Inhumans.

2. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Wow, really solid episode.

I like the fact that they opened at the aftermath of Civil War. No need to pussyfoot around it. Also nice touch that Coulson was saddened by

I was hating on Lincoln for the whole episode...until the twist, which I honestly hadn't seen coming. Also, the last twenty minutes made the episode. I cheered when Lash was pawning Hive. Also didn't count on him "purifying" Daisy, but nice bonus. Too bad Hellfire had to mess everything up. :( At least Lash got to do some epic stuff before being killed off...kinda sad we didn't get a final scene with him in his human form.

I laughed when that scientist complained about Hive keeping the new Inhumans. Dude, you're getting to live. Be grateful.

Uh-oh, Mack has the necklace. Then again, that would make things too obvious...

3. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

20. Emancipation

Huh, so the tie-in is merely the presence of the Sokovia Accords. Got to say, that's the smallest tie-in compared to season 1 and 2. Still, the cold open was a nice treat to those who already saw Civil War. Sniff, Peggy. It was a nice surprise to basically learn the location of the Playground was somewhere in no man's land near Washington D.C. if I recall correctly where Talbot's USAF base is. Naturally, spy roots with the descending booth. Also fascinating to hear Talbot offer to relegitimize S.H.I.E.L.D. in exchange for registration. But Coulson and May are against it, thankfully. And Coulson makes a good point about highly classified Indexes and lists falling into the wrong hands somehow. And also something I brought up in the Civil War news thread, while the government and military second guesses and goes through red tape -- the bad guy wins. But it was a nice bonus to hear Talbot explain a bit more about the Accords - DNA sample, fingerprints, power analysis to categorize threat level and health risk. Basically, the Index all over again. lol.

Didn't see it coming, but nice twist those Watchdogs got turned into the MCU version of the Alpha Primitive Inhumans. Also really rad to see Hellfire sport his iconic chain. I guess Giyera was gone this whole time securing a base to launch the warhead from...

Happy to see Elena back and helping get Mack out his funk. Not to mention returning to that theme of faith. But the end credit teaser, what we fear. Mack now has Elena's cross. Are they really gonna kill off Mack?! Or red herring us? Hmm.

Lash! Talbot's "Rasta-Hulk is your husband?" was my favorite line of the episode. They sure give Pasdar some funky dialogue. Glad to see my prediction of Lash coming in handy against Hive came to light. And what a reward to see someone beat the tar out of Hive. Just loved Dalton's choice of Hive's surprised expression when Hive destroys his parasites. It's a rare time to see him concerned. And when Lash palms his chest and sends him flying -- YES! And he cured Daisy! But dies at the hands of all people, James. Argh!!! R.I.P. Dr. Garner. That moment of May kneeling at the body. :(

Just as amusing as "Rasta-Hulk," how Daisy continues to know about things older than her like MacGyver and Firestarter. But it was brilliant for her to come with a MacGyver plan on y'know, a spy show.

EDIT: Cleaned up grab of the Peggy Carter article
    [​IMG]

EDIT2: When Simmons described Hive's parasites as nano particles, got me thinking. Daisy's powers will probably be the key to destroying Hive. Last season, Gordon and Jiaying did mention they believed she could sense and tap into the vibrational energy of everything around her...

#103 Yojimbo, May 11, 2016
    Last edited: May 12, 2016
  4. The Penguin

The Penguin All Hail the King!
    Staff Member Moderator

"Absolution"/"Ascension" Season Finale May 17, 2016

Two-hour season finale! Tonight at 9 p.m. ET on ABC.

Please note, this thread may contain spoilers and references to the Marvel Cinematic Universe (including Captain America: Civil War).

[​IMG]
    "Absolution"/"Ascension" - Season Finale
    Tuesday, May 17, 2016 @ 9 p.m. ET/8 CT on ABC
    With Hive's master plan known, the team must spring into action and take them on in a deadly battle.

5. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

OK, lots of thoughts. Full spoilers.

So I had thought that Fitz or Simmons would be the ones to die, not Lincoln (although his talk of retirement should have tipped me off). Even though I was never a fan of Lincoln, it was still a sad way to go.

Kudos to Chloe for doing a great job as an emotional Daisy, but I got tired of her self-pity after a while, TBH.

The final scenes, the time-skip, came so out of left field that I don't know how to feel about it just yet. Daisy has a new design (QUAKE), she seems to be a loner now, and that annoying scientist is creating LMDs?

The funniest scene by far was the Obi-Wan line. The timing was perfect, since I had just been thinking that HIVE looked like a Star Wars villain.

So glad that HIVE is gone. I was sick of Ward at this point.

Anyway, here's to season four.

6. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

21 and 22. Absoultion and Ascension

They really put Daisy through the wringer but that was expected. Definitely finished season 3 full circle with some definite intrigue for next season. Props to Chloe Bennet for having to do everything for this episode - drama, self-pity, rage, action, action with pretending for SFX, getting hugged by Mack against her will, crying her butt off, taking up a new persona by the end...

Poor Lincoln. It was obvious they wouldn't kill off anyone from the original cast other than Dalton -- well, at least he got the WW2 Captain America send off with Daisy on the radio.

Fitz and Simmons made it! Whoo. The Seychelles reveal was hilarious. For a second there, Fitz forgot Simmons was Simmons. "Snorkeling! -- 1000 species." lmao. So cool and unexpected they got in another reference to Professor Vaughn from S.H.I.E.L.D Academy, lol. Great turn with Fitz being the one to take down Giyera and with a cloaked gun.

Talbot has really come a long way since we first met him at the start of season 2. Going along with recording a superior, General Andaz, then helping Fitz fool the Undersecretary to expedite getting kill codes outside chain of command. But still above giving Fitz a high five for stopping a missile launch but he can give Coulson props. lol.

Elena and Mack. I'm kind of glad the crew didn't do the cliche thing and have some cheesy make out scene for the finale. And instead, gave us some hilarious lines. "Turtle speed." :D "This isn't a lucky rabbit's foot." Mack quoting Aristotle. "I've got dimensions." :D "Mack lit me on fire." lmao. And a new Shotgun Axe.

Dr. Radcliffe certainly stole the show. From naming the two Primitives "Ronald" and "Ronald 2" to relief when May arrives in the silo, to admitting being so heartbroken about how the Primitives came out, getting all fanboy on Coulson's prosthetic, "It's a science hunch,"

Finally got to see Hive's true form. Yikes. And James just runs his mouth off for pretty much all of his appearance. Wonder how he'll factor in next season -- I suppose if the Secret Warriors are still disbanded or not. But like he'd join up...

Clever, we got to see the Quinjet used for underwater and space travel. And a remote Quinjet. Also clever to disassemble and use Centipede's memory machine on Hive and scramble his noggin for a bit. Added bonus to see the Gel-Matrix Chamber in action capturing Hive. Or using Blake's hologram M.O. from "Watchdogs"

Pretty cool how much they padded the finale with Star Wars references. I guess mid-way through writing, they gave in and peppered it all in. Hive in the Gel- Matrix container - Han Solo in carbonite? Coulson referencing Leia's message.

Speaking of, nice to see some movie call backs. Elena's "Just say S.H.I.E.L.D." or Radcliffe reviving the LMD project (Tony mentioned an LMD in the first Avengers I believe, trying to give Coulson the run around).

It's the finale, but sad to see S.H.I.E.L.D suffered 30 casulaities essentially. 28 turned into Alpha Primitives, Lincoln dead, and Daisy gone rogue. Plus, the Playground is flipping compromised since they had Talbot authorize military intervention to take it back. I wonder if they relocated to a new base. Hmm. That's always been ambigious how many bases they have total post-HYDRA. I guess there's the Theta Protocol facility, whatever medical facility Mack went to after Illinois, the Cocoon training facility in NYC, the Iliad naval carrier (which never came up this season)...whichever ones they held onto post-TWS that Talbot didn't raid.

The epilogue and teaser -- lot's of food for thought. So Daisy is now Quake in name at least and is a rogue protector of Inhumans it seems. Oddly, that's basically the same role as Mystique in X-Men: Apocalypse. Anyway, nice way to tie it back in and show she was looking out for Charlie's wife and daughter -- moved them to Wisconsin and even wanted to introduce them to her mind wiped bio dad, Calvin Johnson. Daisy using her power to leap a tall building was epic. It was a bit of Superman, a bit of Neo from the Matrix, even a dash of Jessica Jones.

The 6 month time jump was a shock. They're all the way in December 2016 now (Civil War was May to June 2016). The implications of that, if it adheres to the staple 'it takes place on the day it comes out' - Dr. Strange already happened so we'll likely see magic in season 4.

And there's a new Director of S.H.I.E.L.D.! I hope it's May. Now that would be a cool direction for her, and they've been hinting at it forever as Coulson's choice. But I suppose, the shocker would be Talbot is the new Director but Pasdar is in-demand and I wouldn't see him taking a permanent role in the cast plus those SUVs weren't marked S.H.I.E.L.D. so they're still underground implicitly so Talbot is likely still ATCU. Of course, there's a third left field choice and it's a new character, maybe a name character from the comics who held the title like Rick Stoner. In any case, it'll be cool to see Coulson back to being just an agent again.

The teaser. Here we go again with another mad scientist. Ultron redux. Very dope to introduce A.I.D.A. from the Squadron Supreme comics and to top it off, debut the Life Model Decoys after Tony mentioned it in Avengers and the theory about the Koenigs being them. It makes sense why they introduced Radcliffe and the transhumanism movement -- with this teaser, definitely gonna be the overarching plot of season 4, imo. Fingers crossed on getting some return guest stars like Deathlok (who would fit in nicely with the transhumanism thing) or even y'know touch base with Ian Quinn and his Gravitonium...but hopefully no more heavy use of HYDRA and Inhumans. It feels like it. Onto something new after 3 seasons.